closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car buying...SEAT IBIZA 1.6 SPORTS!

Grand Master

Car buying...SEAT IBIZA 1.6 SPORTS!

Despite my recent high speed brush with the law and fine that's pending, I haven't gone totally crazy and sold my Jag :) .......just helped my stepdaughter buy one of these today . She's 21 next week and grandad has given her the brass, aided and abetted by mum, dad and myself.

3 yrs old, 1 owner, SEAT main dealer, warranty, very clean etc....car looks fine. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with them because I didn`t know what one was until this week!

The young lady set her heart on getting one for some reason after being talked out of more elaborate motors that she couldn't afford. On paper it looks a sensible car, with that sporty element that youngsters seem to like; have to admit it drives OK too. Insurance isn`t silly and it isn`t too powerful.....and the main thing is that she chose it and likes it :)

Seems a fairly sensible buy to me........hopefully I`m not wrong because the deal's already been done!

Paul

Grand Master

Re: Car buying...SEAT IBIZA 1.6 SPORTS!

As you say, it's a pretty average car, not really that sporty, average economy and average engine, but that's sometimes the best thing to have, it looks nice and with enough performance and power to do the job.

I was speaking to someone today about the bhp in cars and so on, and was laughing at how today it's always a case of more power, i just think as long as you have enough to do the job, i.e. it doesn't die on hills, it has enough take off for busy roundabouts and junctions, then it's good, more power means you tend to take more chances, so at 20, it might be a good car for her.

Master

AS long as its reliable and she's happy thats the important thing.

Seat, still Spanish? PROBABLY MECHANICALLY DODGEY (THOUGH I ADMIT I ONLY KNOW (oops) two people with Seats they both had problems, but not until 100k plus).

Then again Ive just bought a French car so what do I know!

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox

Seat, still Spanish? PROBABLY MECHANICALLY DODGEY (THOUGH I ADMIT I ONLY KNOW (oops) two people with Seats they both had problems, but not until 100k plus).

Nope she has pretty much just bought a Bentley. :D

SEAT/Skoda/VW/Audi/Bentley/Bugatti all belong to VW Group.

Should be a solid car to be honest. I drove one and quite liked it, it didn't have the finish of the VW equivalent (Plush door cards, fancy dials) but it was certainly a sound car that should provide care free motoring! Stylish for a young driver too.

Many components are shared between Seat, Skoda, VW, Audi. Should definitely be a reliable car, it doesn't have much to go wrong with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster
    Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox

Nope she has pretty much just bought a Bentley. :D

SEAT/Skoda/VW/Audi/Bentley/Bugatti all belong to VW Group.
    You're forgetting Lamborghini and soon to be Porsche (once VW purchase the remaining Porsche shares) :wink:

Mrs has a Seat Altea, 5 years old bought it new 1.9 diesel, good motor
    Apart format the fact it's not as economical as expected no problems with it

Unless you've got money to burn I wouldn't pay main dealer prices for one, these sort of motors are falling out the private classifieds for buttons at the moment.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BSB
    You're forgetting Lamborghini and soon to be Porsche (once VW purchase the remaining Porsche shares) :wink:
    I thought that was a done deal already :?: :?

I had a SEAT Leon Tdi for a company car a long time ago and had no problems with it whatsoever - good solid motors :)

Not the engine choice I would have gone for - but nice enough cars and I was pleasantly surprised with a test drive - I took out the supercharged/turbocharged version and a 1.2 earlier when the twin charger wasn't wasn't available.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB
    I thought that was a done deal already :?: :?

I had a SEAT Leon Tdi for a company car a long time ago and had no problems with it whatsoever - good solid motors :)
    It was finally agreed last week that VW would purchase the remaining shares for 4.5bn euros.

Master

Pocket change - will just raid my 10lt whiskey bottle :wink: Will be nice to have a Porsche Jetta Tdi :lol:

When I was a student I was happy to drive whatever was provided/subsidised - so I reckon she's done incredibly well, especially with insurance costs as they area (and insurance companies finally getting to grips with the whole named-driver malarkey.)

As a teenage undergraduate in the late 70s/early 80s my insurance was so cheap that I have no recollection whatever of what it was: despite the fact that I rear-ended an almost new Jag at a roundabout early on. I know the OP is a proud owner, but I reckon that's why I've never liked Jags since - even though the bloke was delightful, and didn't bother claiming against my insurance.

Happy days etc...

Grand Master

Thanks for your comments, guys. No horror stories, pretty well confirms my thoughts on the car.

Having paid a slight premium to buy from a main dealer, we've got a year's warranty with it, a fair price on the trade-in and bluetooth connection thrown in too. I reckon it'll be OK. The young lady's happy with it.....that's the main thing!

My car mechanicing days are behind me, I stick to watches thesedays, so if it does go wrong it'll be going to our trusty local garage man.........fingers crossed that it won`t.

Paul