closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sun Cream & Car Paintwork

Sun Cream & Car Paintwork

My 3 year old V70 is in beautiful condition but noticed 3 blurry white marks on the paintwork. After closer inspection I could see handprints and thought not a lot of it, so gave the car a good wash a few days later.

Two washes and a load of elbow grease and the patches wouldn't move. A few minutes of googling and I found out it's likely to be suncream from the hands of my kids.

Be warned, this stuff ruins paintwork quickly and really should have a warning on it. Some cases on the Internet illustrate blemishes never coming out, or requiring professional machine polishing.

I've tried WD-40 as recommended which didn't work. Any other good ideas before it goes off to the professionals. Autoglym Super Resin Polish is mentioned, so may give that a go first. Anyone used that stuff and recommend if it's any good?
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 16th July 2012 at 22:12. Reason: Grammar

More suncream everywhere else?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Have you tried a decent polish or a mild compound?
    If not, and bodyshop should be able to machine that area fairly easily.
    If youre anywhere near NW London, give me a shout

See this quite a lot. Some form of compound (G3???) and a machine polisher / buffer should sort it out. Any professional valeter / bodyshop should be able to sort this for you.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    Have you tried a decent polish or a mild compound?
    Is Autoglym Super Resin Polish the same?

bird droppings do the same
    you need to choose the right polish+machine to polish the panel
    try cleanyourcar.co.uk for products

Yes this is a common problem that can be sorted.

Take a look on www.detailingworld.com for all the help and advice you could ever want.

Kev

Craftsman

Autoglym Super Resin Polish

Banned
    Had the same problem a few months back, the joys of having young kids.

Try Meguiars Sratch X from halfords, use a decent applicator to apply it and buff off though.

Ah, that explains the marks on my car that haven't come off since last summer then. Hadn't given them too much thought as the car is worth less than most of my watches but had wondered what it was that had caused the marks.

I think the kids can take the blame for most of them, but there is at least one palm print that is remarkably similar in size to my hand, doh.

Where abouts are you located?

I have the kit that should take it off and I don't mind helping out but if you are far away then it is pointless.

Craftsman
    If your not aware of Autoglyms most prominent polish for the last 20 years, don't try fixing this yourself, go to a small bodyshop or a local Valet. Its worth spending an hour on here, http://www.clean-image.co.uk/ hell just ring them up, the guys are friendly and are not all about £50 a tub wax.

Grand Master
    I would expect a light application of T cut to be sufficient, followed by a wax polish. Don`t go mad and cut through the laquer.

Paul

Master
    I have to fix this for customers regularly. Usually machine polishing is required as it etches the paint - especially on the hard german/ european paints. Hand cream can do the same thing.

I work all over be able to help out if needed...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    you could maybe try a clay bar, theyre quite cheap and great for getting bugs and tar etc off so hopefully should lift the grease from the kids suncream ptints!

Master
    I'm afraid a claybar will not help, they lift embedded contaminants from paint (such as flies, tar, grit and overspray) but will not remove etch marks or pull oil from the paint. As they also leave behind mild marring, it may make the problem worse.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I'm afraid a claybar will not help, they lift embedded contaminants from paint (such as flies, tar, grit and overspray) but will not remove etch marks or pull oil from the paint. As they also leave behind mild marring, it may make the problem worse.
    fair enough! that's why you're the pro and I'm the guy with a dirty car!

Master
    I recently noticed white stains on some of my cars plastic trim and realised it was suncream. I eventually tried Autoglym intensive tar remover and it came straight off.
    http://www.autoglym.com/enGB/product...nge=1&v06VQ=GD

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Is Autoglym Super Resin Polish the same?
    Yep, with some nice cotton cloth
    Then a decent wax to protect it all
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/cat_4.html