closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much would this zodiac be worth?

Blog Entries

How much would this zodiac be worth?

I don't have any pictures, because it's in a store, but I found a...

Zodiac super seawolf with original 19mm strap. Supposedly never been serviced or used. No scratches what so ever, but the bezel insert has slight discoloration. Lume is still great and lume is not discolored from what I can see. Supposedly it's from the 70s. Reference number on the caseback is 862.836 ,75ATM. Day, date wheel and auto movement with manual winding. Started as soon I picked it up.
    Would come with new movement service.

Looks like this watch below. (Not the actual watch)
    Last edited by yonsson; 18th July 2012 at 20:16.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    I don't have any pictures, because it's in a store, but I found a...

Zodiac super seawolf with original 19mm strap. Supposedly never been serviced or used. No scratches what so ever, but the bezel insert has slight discoloration. Lume is still great and lume is not discolored from what I can see. Supposedly it's from the 70s. Reference number on the caseback is 862.836 ,75ATM. Day, date wheel and auto movement with manual winding. Started as soon I picked it up.
    Would come with new movement service.

Looks like this watch below.
    Have no idea, but when you find out, then please let me know!!

Depends on the buyer. For a more precise estimate, and this is just my personal opinion, I´d say two years ago 700GBP, now 400GBP.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCJM View Post
    Depends on the buyer. For a more precise estimate, and this is just my personal opinion, I´d say two years ago 700GBP, now 400GBP.
    Ok. Thanks. My guess was £500. He wants £1020. Thought I might had missed that this was a particular sought after model or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnielse View Post
    Have no idea, but when you find out, then please let me know!!
    Sorry with other words. I am interested. BTW. your mailbox is filled, so it isn't possible to send you a message.

I think these are lovely watches the case was used by a few brands in the 70's ( Edox, Certina think i've seen a Longines IIRC) and has a cool safety feature where you need to push the inner metal bezel thing down to turn the outer timing bezel.

In terms of whats it is worth, i dont know what would i pay? Probably not £1K but would be tempted at £600 - £700. I think Foxy (?) had one in his SOC post recently which he bought off the forum for around that figure, again if memory serves me correctly!

Craftsman
    Just out of interest, may I ask why you think the value has gone down in the past 2 years? It seems to me that nearly all things watch related have gone up in value in that time, in some cases massively so???

One sold on eBay for about £1,400 recently, and that was after I bought mine!
    "A man of little significance"

Sorry with other words. I am interested. BTW. your mailbox is filled, so it isn't possible to send you a message.
    Yikes sorry, thought that it was a piece that you where offering.

Blog Entries

inbox full

Sorry about that. It seems the new forum doesn't allow as many messages as the old one did. I believe it is sorted now. At least I am below 50 messages.

Blog Entries
    Yikes sorry, thought that it was a piece that you where offering.
    Nope, it's not mine, and I would not be comfortable to be a middle hand in this case, since I know too little about this model to give a 100% accurate description. For a £100 watch, sure, but not for this much money. And it would probably take the seller some time to service it, so I couldn't supply it quickly.

Blog Entries
    I just found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-Zodiac-S...ht_1003wt_1037

Zlmost as pricey, but the condition is really bad compared to the nos watch in the store. But then again, the ebay watch hasn't been sold, so it could be overpriced.

£1,020 is probably on the money.

Hans had this one up at the end of last year for £1,150, which seemed to sell and appears to be the exact same model, which appears quite rare:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=zodiac

Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post

Hans had this one up at the end of last year for £1,150, which seemed to sell and appears to be the exact same model, which appears quite rare:

Mark
    Thanks! That lume sure is stunning and what amazes me is that it is still very bright. And lumed day/date + lumed writing on the dial is really cool!
    Well anyways, not a bargain then, so wont be buying. It's always fun to learn new stuff though. Thanks for all the help! Case closed I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    Just out of interest, may I ask why you think the value has gone down in the past 2 years? It seems to me that nearly all things watch related have gone up in value in that time, in some cases massively so???
    What has gone massively up in the past two years is what has massive demand. This particular specimen is not a 2254.50 nor is it a Rolex ND Sub and thus, as it covers a rather small niche market within the hierarchies of WISdom, moving it requires either or both of the following things: a well reduced price or just the right timing to be found by one who a) belongs to that niche market, b) is on the look-out for something new and c) has the financial means to get it.

Overall the actual WIS market is not what it used to be two years ago for pieces, such as this Zodiac, that fall out of the categories of the aforementioned high in demand pieces. Mind you - most of these are bought by relatively new newcomers who have yet to mature to the level of WISdom where they are seasoned enough to not go for the obvious choices (just because they are "IN"), hence the demand for them. The overall WIS market is very slow now compared to what it was before the financial crisis. Yes, it has been recuperating ever so slowly after the crash but is still a vague shadow of what used to be - without a doubt - a pretty hectic market place much fed by credit and no worries of tomorrow. Then watches became a fashionable hobby and here we are, after a tidal wave of new participants onto the forums, this one included.

In 2010 we had a way lover amount of repeating threads that cover the same (aforementioned as example) models over and over again. And even less than that in 2008.

Anyway, as I stated before this is just my opinion, I am not saying it is true. As for the actual value for this piece... For a collector looking for such? - Over 1K, easy. For someone else? No way. IMHO.

Great reply Jussi, and I agree with what you say....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post

Mark
    Yes i sold this one to the states at the asking price.

There are a lot of models of this version and the most wanted version in the one with orange day/date.
    Mine was the first edition in nos condition.
    It used an 36000 movement.

Have had the more common version too, that sold in the 450 £ area.

Hans

Journeyman
    What has gone massively up in the past two years is what has massive demand. This particular specimen is not a 2254.50 nor is it a Rolex ND Sub and thus, as it covers a rather small niche market within the hierarchies of WISdom, moving it requires either or both of the following things: a well reduced price or just the right timing to be found by one who a) belongs to that niche market, b) is on the look-out for something new and c) has the financial means to get it.

Overall the actual WIS market is not what it used to be two years ago for pieces, such as this Zodiac, that fall out of the categories of the aforementioned high in demand pieces. Mind you - most of these are bought by relatively new newcomers who have yet to mature to the level of WISdom where they are seasoned enough to not go for the obvious choices (just because they are "IN"), hence the demand for them. The overall WIS market is very slow now compared to what it was before the financial crisis. Yes, it has been recuperating ever so slowly after the crash but is still a vague shadow of what used to be - without a doubt - a pretty hectic market place much fed by credit and no worries of tomorrow. Then watches became a fashionable hobby and here we are, after a tidal wave of new participants onto the forums, this one included.

In 2010 we had a way lover amount of repeating threads that cover the same (aforementioned as example) models over and over again. And even less than that in 2008.

Anyway, as I stated before this is just my opinion, I am not saying it is true. As for the actual value for this piece... For a collector looking for such? - Over 1K, easy. For someone else? No way. IMHO.

I'm not sure I agree. Vintage dive watches are a very popular segment of watch collecting. Yes they don't attract your average Joe Bloggs, but if you are into your watches then Vintage dive watches are quite a big segment.
    In that segment Vintage Zodiacs have gone up in value a lot over the last few years, almost doubling for your average Sea Wolf in the last four or five years.
    The 'popular' and obvious choices like Rolex and Omega will always suffer in a downturn as they are so common and are modern and may well be bought by people who are not that into watches as a hobby.

Craftsman

Ah I see what you mean, you're separating the WIS market from the general market. I suppose in that sense you may well be right. As an aside the general market reminds me increasingly of the classic car bubble of the late 80's, as people look for alternative investments and jump on the current bandwagon. Unless the demand from Asia continues to increase as predicted, I think there may well be investors with burnt fingers and vastly overpriced Rolex etc. in a year or two.