closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long have you been collecting watches?

Re: How long have you been collecting watches?

I've always had an interest in watches, ever since I saved up my pocket money to buy a Casio calculator watch from a shop called 'Tick-Tock' on the corner of Percy Street in Newcastle in 1980.

I've had hundreds over the years but my first 'expensive' watch was a Sector 650 chrono. My mate had bought the 850 a few months earlier and I loved it so, not wanting to be the same, I got the 650. When he bought his 850 the 650 was £600 but when I went to buy mine from Ernest Jones they had it reduced to £225 :!:

I then progressed to an Omega 2264.50 (of which I've owned and sold 2) and now, having tried just about everything to find my niche, I have a pretty settled collection - see my signature.

I have no watch related regrets but two things please me most:

Trading my SMP for a Speedmaster - the greatest of them all

and

Discovering Time Factors - as you can see, I've a little fancy for a PRS or three!

Happy days,

David

Still got my first Timex!

Various digitals in the 80s - Lovely Seiko in the late 80/90s. Poljot since 1994 (graduation pressie!) and Swiss since my wedding - 11 years taken me through Oris, Breitling, Rolex, Tag, IWC, Pam, Corum and Omega. A full safe and empty bank :wink:

For me, it was about 5 years ago when I got my first proper watch for my 30th. Since then been an off/on collector, going through stages where Ill spend ages browsing the forums, eBay etc and then maybe buying one or two and then stopping for a whole in the knowledge that once I start, I'll just keep buying! I think I will always collect, just in stages

Craftsman

I got a few fashion watches that I bought just because I liked the way they looked about 3 years ago.
    So I've collected 3 so far.

Joe

Hi

Only 2 years, but i have had quite a few watches:-)

Jon

Master

i don't see myself as a collector, more an admirer

Since 1995 for me.

Just over 7 years. My first internet purchase was an RLT 69 serial No. 042 for my 42nd birthday. Wore a Tissot dress-quartz for about 15 years before that; still have it and still wear it occasionally. It has more competition for wrist time these days though.

I got my first at 18 (a Tag F1), so about 15 years. Only really got serious since joining here 18 months or so ago though :D

Off and on for about 40 years - now that really makes me feel old!

Only just getting started here; around 1 year. Probably going to go on for some time though!

About 4 years...but its very very addictive and expensive!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Since 1994. Still got my first one, too.

Paul
    I'll start collecting watches shortly after my 50th post I think, if I resist the urge to pick up a new monster as a safe beater. I think I should be afraid :)

Master
    I'm not collecting watches... I'm not..

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    10 months and eight days. Counted from the day I bought a second watch (after getting the Speedbird GMT and joining the forum a few months earlier).

I reckon it was in May that I got infected but the worst symptoms didn't start until September 2011. I should have practised safer watch purchase but at the time you know how it is, you are just carried away with the moment. Is there a cure yet?

About 3-4 years.

Craftsman

Watches about 21 years and Glycine 10 years.

Tried to stop for almost a whole year. But it just keeps on scratching...

I have admired watches for as long as I can remember but only really had the cash to start buying them in the last 3 years. Thanks to TZ I am now aware of loads of manufacturers I had never heard of and my finances are substantially lighter......

Always liked watches from a kid but never thought i would put a collection together until about 3 years ago.
    Got sucked in to buying a few fashion watches on looks alone which i still have .Progressed to TAG then
    Omega/Rolex/Panerai and alway s regret selling most of them.
    This forum keeps the interest going!
    Current fav' is a Hamilton Slim 43 on Milanese .
    Ultimate want is AP Royal Oak,long way off though,
    Dave

Although I always had a facination for watches I started getting serious into this when i was about 23 but start taking an interest in the expensive swiss makes a couple of years ago

Blog Entries
    10 years and still counting

I don't collect them!

It isn't a collection!

How many constitutes a collection?

Am I in denial? :-/

Have been interested since I was a kid, but only started really getting into it like this since '05. Had an old 300T for which I was sourcing parts and "found" watch forums.

The rest is a sad and sordid history.

Blog Entries

Cool

Bought my first Sub in 2003 then its become an obsession to find my grail

Been collecting since the age of 18, just over 20 years! My problem is that I have a low attention span, and I crave the thrill of the chase. I ended up with loads of watches, so I am now a habitual flipper, I try to keep my stable to 5 or under which has worked for me so far, the fear of loosing too much cash prevents me from those impulse buys. Plus I have owned most watches out there so I am now running out of options lol.

Since 2000, so it is about 12 years in making. Interestingly, the watches I currently own today all came under less than 2 years ago :-)

Talking

Since I joined on here - last April

I have been interested in watches for a number of years, only in the last 5 years or so I have acquired a few but then apart from a couple have moved them on again. Definitely not a collector

I've been a member here for a while. But I'm just starting out collecting really. Currently have the following:

Stowa Marine Automatic
    Speedbird 3
    Precista 300

Next on the list is a Planet Ocean 42mm or a Speedmaster Reduced. Really not sure between the two.

Bought my first semi decent watch while in Oman in 1997, first £1k watch an Omega Seamaster in 2002 , grrrr wish ex wife hadn't made me sell it. In last 3 years collection has steadily grown. Now waiting on a Bremont ;)

started about a year ago... but trying to keep my 'collection' small with no more than 4-5 watches at a time.

been buying new additions for the last 6 years. i have a collection of 6 watches but i don't feel i'm a collector.

Blog Entries
    Always loved watches since I was a kid but about 10 years since becoming involved in collecting, flipping watches

The oldest purchase still in my collection was made in 1966.

30+ years, but loved them from about 5 years old so that adds another 10 years...very scary!

Journeyman
    I am collecting since 10 years.

Craftsman
    I'm not sure how you define "collection" since I wouldn't say I collect watches. However, I start to take them more seriously about 7 years ago when I bought my first Oris watch.