closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First dabble in modifying

Master

First dabble in modifying

Apart from changing straps, or sizing a bracelet.. I've zero experience of working on watches. However, after reading various threads on here I finally decided to have a go and see just how badly I could get things wrong.

I decided to use my Parnis for 2 reasons... firstly, it was cheap so no great issue if it went all pear-shaped... secondly, I'd never been happy with the dial, as the applied hour markers just seemed squint to my eye. So this is what I started with:-

My first thing was to remove the applied markers from the dial, strip off the orange (as that wasn't lumed anyway), paint the markers black & then apply straight.
    This went well, but it looked a bit, well, rubbish... as the black markers/orange numbers clashed.
    So, I stripped the markers off again, sanded the old dial down smooth & repainted it black. I then painted the markers white, followed by some lume... and finally painted the second hand white and finish with lume. Slapped on a black strap and this is what I got:-

Still wasn't very happy with it though. I preferred the dial black, but my finish didn't stand up to close scrutiny.
    So to try something different I ordered up a Cali dial from China... went on holiday, and when I came back my dial was waiting for me.
    Off came the hands again, on went the new dial (with a bit of fettling as it was actually about 0.1mm less in diameter than it stated) and this is how it now looks:-

Amazingly, the thing still runs... and keep decent time. No idea how, as I am pretty ham fisted at the best of times.
    I think I'll quit while it's still running though.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Apart from changing straps, or sizing a bracelet.. I've zero experience of working on watches. However, after reading various threads on here I finally decided to have a go and see just how badly I could get things wrong.

I decided to use my Parnis for 2 reasons... firstly, it was cheap so no great issue if it went all pear-shaped... secondly, I'd never been happy with the dial, as the applied hour markers just seemed squint to my eye. So this is what I started with:-

My first thing was to remove the applied markers from the dial, strip off the orange (as that wasn't lumed anyway), paint the markers black & then apply straight.
    This went well, but it looked a bit, well, rubbish... as the black markers/orange numbers clashed.
    So, I stripped the markers off again, sanded the old dial down smooth & repainted it black. I then painted the markers white, followed by some lume... and finally painted the second hand white and finish with lume. Slapped on a black strap and this is what I got:-

Still wasn't very happy with it though. I preferred the dial black, but my finish didn't stand up to close scrutiny.
    So to try something different I ordered up a Cali dial from China... went on holiday, and when I came back my dial was waiting for me.
    Off came the hands again, on went the new dial (with a bit of fettling as it was actually about 0.1mm less in diameter than it stated) and this is how it now looks:-

Amazingly, the thing still runs... and keep decent time. No idea how, as I am pretty ham fisted at the best of times.
    I think I'll quit while it's still running though.
    Looks good I like that.

Apprentice
    Looking good man!