closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sold watch on eBay. Advice?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Sold watch on eBay. Advice?

Sold my Monaco on eBay, chap paid immediately via PayPal.

Starting to worry now that I may get scammed. Any advice for how to proceed? Chap is 180 miles away so f2f isnt likely. RMSD would be insured for over the amount and is factored in. Any advice for protecting myself? Buyer us 500+ 100% positive since 2001......

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

Starting to worry now that I may get scammed. Any advice for how to proceed? Chap is 180 miles away so f2f isnt likely. RMSD would be insured for over the amount and is factored in. Any advice for protecting myself? Buyer us 500+ 100% positive since 2001......
    What are you worried about, then?

Master
    What leads you to think its a scam?

If the money is in your pypal account, how could you be scammed?

its a bit late to be worried about these things one you have sold the item.

Well if the buyer has loads of +ve feedback and has been around for 10+ years it should be fine. I wouldn't let all the horror stories put you off ebay to be honest. If you are worried that he has used a fake paypal link then log into your account and see if the transaction shows up. A common scam used to be getting sent a link to a page from 'paypal' showing that money had been transferred, of course the link was just a mock-up and scammers hoped you would send the item without checking your own account.

Grand Master
    Follow the ebay advice on sending, i.e. RMSD, so that you have proof that it was sent and delivered. The only way anything can go wrong is if the buyer tries to get his money back via paypal, and then the resolution centre would require proof, which you could then produce.

I wouldn't worry too much as the guy sounds like he has good feedback and history, as long as he's the guy you're dealing with then it should be fine, if you're worried it's someone else, check out the guys feedback, then get his location and check this against the address he wants you to send too, you may also see he's bought several watches without complaint.

Blog Entries
    I'm probably being paranoid!

Craftsman
    I think you probably are, a bit. I'd only worry if the payment wasn't received, so send the watch as instructed above, and
    get some sleep!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepsteeth View Post

its a bit late to be worried about these things one you have sold the item.
    The easy one is saying that your RMSD parcel was in fact a potato....

Yeah, but that's understandable.

I recently made a purchase via paypal and started getting worried that I could get robbed of my money. All the research about ebay/paypal do indeed highlight the seller's at more risk.

I just think it's a shame that because of a few bad eggs, we feel we can't trust each other on these sites.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Trust your instincts.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What are you worried about, then?
    +1

Not meaning to sound patronising (honest!) but it's only natural to worry about these things when there's fairly large sum of money at stake.

If it's in your paypal account, surely you could transfer it to your bank account and then it would be secure? I might be wrong but that's what I've always done straight away.

On a brighter note my new Avatar pic worked, hurrah!
    Last edited by hellominky; 11th August 2012 at 18:00. Reason: Check pic

Master
    1. Check you pp account to ensure the payment has, indeed, landed.
    2. Ship only to the address registered with the pp account the payment was received from.
    3. Ship only by RMSD.

As others have said, think you're being (understandably) a little paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by hellominky View Post
    If it's in your paypal account, surely you could transfer it to your bank account and then it would be secure? I might be wrong but that's what I've always done straight away.
    On this point I'm not sure you are correct. IIRC PayPal can take the money back from your bank account if the deem it appropriate. (If I am wrong on this then no doubt someone will correct me!).

But notwithstanding the above, the buyer in this case would appear to be an honest eBayer.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

As soon as you send it SD add the tracking Info on eBay, this will prove its been sent and signed for. Transfer the money from PayPal into your bank account straight away aswell

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    On this point I'm not sure you are correct. IIRC PayPal can take the money back from your bank account if the deem it appropriate. (If I am wrong on this then no doubt someone will correct me!).

But notwithstanding the above, the buyer in this case would appear to be an honest eBayer.

R
    I don't think Paypal can take the money back from your bank account, but if the buyer files a case and Paypal judges in his favour they will just debit your Paypal account and leave it in debit. As Paypal is a bank themselves, you can't run away from a debit balance in your Paypal account. So I would say all this transferring of money to your bank account which is so often mentioned is actually not protecting you from anything.

Banned
    tracking number and keep the postage receipt,

Worry about getting scammed before you sell something on ebay.

The fact that it's suddenly occurred to you that you might get ripped off is not a valid reason to renege on a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepsteeth View Post
    It's scarily easy actually. I sold quite an expensive mobile phone on eBay. The seller paid very quickly and I shipped the phone the same day. A few hours after it'd been sent I got an email saying that the buyer had used someone else's paypal account along with a stolen credit card to make the transaction and reversed the payment. I couldn't get the phone back, the police weren't interested at all and I lost everything.

PayPal has fortunately changed its seller protection since but I do hear of payment reversals continuing to happen. I wait until the money is in my bank account before sending anything now.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    It's scarily easy actually. I sold quite an expensive mobile phone on eBay. The seller paid very quickly and I shipped the phone the same day. A few hours after it'd been sent I got an email saying that the buyer had used someone else's paypal account along with a stolen credit card to make the transaction and reversed the payment. I couldn't get the phone back, the police weren't interested at all and I lost everything.

PayPal has fortunately changed its seller protection since but I do hear of payment reversals continuing to happen. I wait until the money is in my bank account before sending anything now.
    This would have not happened if you had followed the standard Paypal advice to ship only to the address registred with the Paypal account.

Master

Don't want to revisit a regular discussion but don't forget sending by RMSD will only cover the watch if the replacement value is under £2500 irrespective of the actual sale price of the watch! I am pretty sure a new Monaco is more than £2500 so I would suggest additional insurance if you are sending via RM

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    deal sounds good to me from what I've read, Good luk. I also took pictures of theitems being sealed into the box with a newspaper by the, and I have previosuly sealed them at my loal postie and asked the old lady behind the counter to ook at the contents before I sealed - not sure if it would stand up but may hep to fight your corner if he trie the potato trick

Apprentice
    Sounds like it mate. You have the money right?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post

Missed that one, good to know. Gonna be a bit more careful in the future....

Blog Entries

There doesn't seem to be any problem here. You've been paid so now it's time to send the watch.

As long as you send by RMSD then you should be ok (assuming the watch is worth less than £2500, see thread at http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?193107). Make sure you take lots of photos of it before you send it and it wouldn't do any harm to photograph the packing process and finished package.

Craftsman
    I may be missing the point slightly....what did you expect to happen once the sale had completed? It's clear that you put a P&P figure, which has been paid. If you were that paranoid (though I understand on something that is valuable) why did you not insist on a f2f meet?
    Last edited by sdb123; 13th August 2012 at 11:19.

Master
    If there's an eBay item I'm really keen on, I'll watch the auction like a hawk right through to the end and pay immediately.

I don't understand what there is to be suspicious about here?

Can't understand what the purpose of the post is, if you don't trust eBay or PayPal then why use it !!

180 miles ??

If I was that worried.
    I would be driving that..

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the useful advice (two fingers up at the pointless posts) it has all gone well as expected, texts/emails saying how happy he is etc and positive feedback left both ways.

Excellent !! Thats exactly how it should be. I love happy endings

Tony

Thanks for the useful advice (two fingers up at the pointless posts) it has all gone well as expected, texts/emails saying how happy he is etc and positive feedback left both ways.
    Have sold a couple of high end watches on ebay and all has gone smoothly. What is always good is to speak to the buyer and more often than not this alleviates any concerns. As long as someone doesn't want it shipped to Nigeria for someone Birthday you're normally okay.

Glad it went well.

The bay comes in for a bit of a bashing and its good to see that sensible precautions pay dividends.

That's exactly what I do for my own peace of mind. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

David

Re: Sold watch on eBay. Advice?

Paypal actually usually holds yours funds if it's sold through ebay. They release the funds in a certain amount of time depending on how it's shipped. For example if you give ebay the tracking, you get the money 3 days after it says delivered.

Good to hear it worked out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nictry View Post
    Don't want to revisit a regular discussion but don't forget sending by RMSD will only cover the watch if the replacement value is under £2500 irrespective of the actual sale price of the watch! I am pretty sure a new Monaco is more than £2500 so I would suggest additional insurance if you are sending via RM
    I don't believe this is right... surely it's sale price, not RRP?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    Paypal actually usually holds yours funds if it's sold through ebay. They release the funds in a certain amount of time depending on how it's shipped. For example if you give ebay the tracking, you get the money 3 days after it says delivered..
    I think it depends. Sometimes paypal will hold the money pending positive feedback or based on other methodology if the item you're selling is of high value or outside your normal selling profile. However normally have found the monies can be transferred same day.

Re: Sold watch on eBay. Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by medmondson View Post
    I think it depends. Sometimes paypal will hold the money pending positive feedback or based on other methodology if the item you're selling is of high value or outside your normal selling profile. However normally have found the monies can be transferred same day.
    From what I read on eBays policies page, they supposedly always hold the funds. Possible they don't follow through.
    Personally my funds are always held, no matter where it's shipped to or the price. I don't think I'm considered a new seller anymore either. I have 10+ "detailed ratings" now , several more regular feedback as seller and been a member for several years.

Does anyone else's funds not get held by PayPal when selling through eBay?
    Last edited by Citizen V; 19th August 2012 at 21:20.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    Does anyone else's funds not get held by PayPal when selling through eBay?
    This has only very rarely happened to me, and only when I was selling ink cartridges. Even then it did not occur on all transaction that were current at the time. It seems to be based on what you're selling, amongst many other parameters. Some sort of inference or complex rule-based model at work, similar to credit card fraud detection.

Craftsman
    You won't like this but maybe you shouldn't sell watches that are to expensive to loose.
    To expensive for you that is.
    Only sell things from a distance you can affort to throw away!
    Jur

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    I don't believe this is right... surely it's sale price, not RRP?
    Sorry but it is absolutely right and plenty of info on this very forum confirming it, RM are not interested in the 'sale' price just the actual price to replace the item or the 'new' price hence the warning I posted!

Sadly if the goods are questioned paypal can do a charge back and take the money from your account. The worst case I have heard was when a chap sold a Breitling the buyer swapped it for a fake then had it verified as a fake and paypal charged the seller back. Now this is an extreme case and I must say I am always worried selling on the bay. One way to avoid this is to wrap it in the presence of a friendly jeweller or similar who verifies it. Sadly there is no 100% safe way to sell and we must all trust each other a little