closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Land's End to John O'groats - - on your bike!!!

Land's End to John O'groats - - on your bike!!!

Recently Ive been lacking any interest at work. I do my shift, often spend more time on here than acutally working. Trouble is, I work for myself.

My sister died of Lukemia a while back and I thought I could combine a fund raising effort along with somthing I will enjoy and a challenge.

As there are a few keen cyclists on here I was wondering if anyone has done it before, knowledge or any thing else they care to add.
    Ive been looking around and the organised trips are the best part of £2k, I was thinking of going it alone!

Many Thanks

Richard

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No experience with cycling that distance, but why pay someone to tell you what you already know? You cycle a set distance each day then grab a b&b, repeat the next day I guess!!

Very good luck with it and let me know how to donate once your up and running.

Mike

Blog Entries

I did it in Holland

But that's as flat as a pancake.........
    Take your time and do it as stated above, B&B's and in your own time, if you actually have enough of it.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Go to the CTC forum, there's a nice section on the End to End with plenty of route and other advice from people that have done it, or like me, live near the route and give advice on small picture routing details. I had a passage named after me!!! :)

Craftsman
    A friend did it a couple of years ago. We are both located south west of Birmingham. I'm sure he would have a chat, pm some details if you are interested.
    Scouter

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    But that's as flat as a pancake.........
    How did you do Land's End to John O'Groats in Holland?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    How did you do Land's End to John O'Groats in Holland?
    Clearly you have never done Amsterdam properly matey....

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Clearly you have never done Amsterdam properly matey....

Ah-ha!

Craftsman

Red face

The Dam.....hopefully she wont recognise me!

Blog Entries
    There's an annual venue called 'Alp d'HuZes' you can find it here: http://www.opgevenisgeenoptie.nl/missionvisionuk The site's name in English would read: 'Quitting is no option' Dutch cyclists try to ride the Alp d'Huez in France, 6 times in one day - which is quite difficult if you've ever seen this stage in the TdF!. Alp d'HuZes is Holland's largest fundraising venue for cyclist to raise money to fight cancer.

Perhaps it's not really what you're looking for (you're thinking of doing it alone), but the help and determination of others can help a lot!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 15th August 2012 at 19:05.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    As the others mention about picking how far you are going to do in a day, stay in a b+b and repeat.
    I'd also think you would start at JoG as the trip home at the end would be easier from LE.
    Living 16 miles from JoG i'll keep an eye out for your plans and happy to help if needed.

Grand Master
    Going unsupported is a mission in itself with mechanical problems and admin personally I would hire a camper van and find a willing accomplise to share the beautiful journey and chill out with each evening. 200km a day is a good goal broken into 2-3 chunks, be prepared for ups and downs emotionally as well as on the road but when its flat its very flat and youll fly along, the flattest sections have some of the best views
    RIAC

Many Thanks guys.

Yes, I dont think I can really go unsupported as I would'nt want to carry my gear on the bike. I will have to rope my girlfriend in to drive a support vehicle.
    I might also try and get a mate involved to actually cycle the didtance with me. I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Have a read of 'Free Country: A penniless Adventure the length of Britain' by George Mahood. Currently half way through reading it and it is very good. The spiel from Amazon:-

Two men - 1000 miles. No money, no bikes, no clothes and no clue.

The plan is simple. George and Ben have three weeks to cycle 1000 miles from the bottom of England to the top of Scotland. There’s just one small problem… they have no bikes. Or clothes. Or food. Or money. Setting off in just a pair of Union Jack boxer shorts, they attempt to rely on the generosity of the British public for everything from food to accommodation, clothes to shoes, and bikes to beer.

During the most extraordinary of challenges, George and Ben scavenge through rubbish bins, search for the Loch Ness monster, wash dishes, clean hotels, sing Christmas carols for food, swim in lakes, descend Cornish hills on child’s scooters, ascend Cumbrian mountains on children’s bikes and cook a barbeque for 30 old people in the dark. They sleep in a canal boat, a posh hotel, an empty house, a pub, a tent in a car park, a greenhouse, on a student’s floor and in a barn with a bull. They blaze a trail of open doors and warm hospitality the length of this green and pleasant land.

Through the course of their epic journey they are clothed, fed and sheltered by the generous people of Britain; from llama farmers to onion farmers, students to lifeguards, a former rock-star to a former hit-man… and Michael Eavis in a pair of hot-pants.

It takes an adventure such as this to prove, that - both monetarily and opportunistically - Great Britain is undoubtedly a Free Country.

A mate of mine did it with a group of friends for charity.......one twist to the story, they did it on fold-up Brompton bikes. Took them 2 odd weeks and painful as hell, but they said it was immensely rewarding. So if you want a challenge, do it on a Brompton

Brompton, errrrrr. I think I will stick to my Orbea!

Master
    good on you for considering this, anything like this for charity is well worth it.
    Personally I haven't done lands end - John O'groats but have done a variation of Wainrights coast to coast on mountain bike a couple of times http://www.coast2coastride.co.uk/index.htm

would consider talking some friends in to joining you for support and motivation, a back up driver also well worth it.

all the best

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Found this, I hope it helps
    http://www.landsend-to-johnogroats.co.uk/

My brother in law and I did it unsupported in 2008 and raised over £3k. I planned the route and we stayed at a mix of b&b and Youth Hostels. Top tips: travel light, don't go over the peak district and don't have two 110 mile days back to back. We did it in May and only had 1 day of rain. Pm if you want to discuss. Cheers

A guy at work did it last year over the Royal wedding break, unsupported in 8 days but from John O groats to lands end. a couple of other people i know have also done it but supported.

there a book on kindle called lejog a guys diary of his journey think he did it unsupported

Craftsman
    I did an unsupported JoGLE several years ago and it was great fun. Bike space on trains to and from Thurso is limited, so book well in advance. As has been said, check out the CTC website, go very light, and don't get too hung up on the technical stuff- people have done it on pennyfarthings, raleigh choppers, and even unicycles!

I do have a Raleigh Chopper but I would'nt dream of climbing those hills on that!

All the help is much apprelicated. I need to start some training!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Have a read of 'Free Country: A penniless Adventure the length of Britain' by George Mahood. Currently half way through reading it and it is very good.
    Ordered - £1.53 for the Kindle. Thanks (hopefully!)

Master
    There's a good thread on Pistonheads about a seemingly rather unorganised trip which is quite an interesting read:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...stined+to+fail