closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling future classics?

Banned

Breitling future classics?

I've had a several Breitlings over the last few years, and I know it's a brand that divides opinion, in fact I only like around 10% of their models myself, and even less of the current crop. That said, I really do enjoy my remaining SO-Chrono and that should stay with me for a while at least.

When I think about other brands with classic models which are sought after, Rolex, Omega and IWC come to mind, these seem to be more or less universally accepted as classics that people seek out and where the watch can hold and sometimes increase in value, such as ...

The Breitlings I've enjoyed are below, but which models from past or present should make it to classic status where they can hold or increase in value?

Breitling Blackburd Big Date....(brushed)

It's the only Breitling I currently own and IMHO it's destined to be a classic, time will tell....

Last edited by shalako; 27th August 2012 at 17:03.

Craftsman
    I hope the Emergency will be on that list.

Master
    Not a massive Breitling fan myself, as I find most of there offerings to "blingy". I do like some of the superocean range, especially the heritage 44.
    Of the watches pictured in your post, I am most often drawn to the aerospace. The understated design, combined with its high tech workings really appeal to me. I like the way the minute hand covers and overhangs the centre post (if thats the right term?)
    Cheers,
    Si

Breitling's flagship Windrider-line is too blingy and does not age well. A 20 year old Chronomat looks like a dated watch now because they were more fashion-items than tool-watches. More iconic designs from the Professional-line might become classics, like the Emergency, Aerospace and B-1. They were designed with aviation in mind and therefore time has had less influence on them, although they have quartz-motors. The same can be said of the Aeromarine-line with models like the Chrono Avenger and Superocean which also have a tool-watch appearance. The best of the lot ofcourse is the Navitimer-line, I think that those models are classics the instant they leave the factory.

A Windrider Headwind which I still own and enjoy, but have no expectations of that it will ever be a classic...

What about the navitimer? It's been around for 50 years.

Mark

...and what about the Chrono-Matic re-issue from 2006?

Chrono avenger has to be in with a shout.

Navitimer
    Aerospace
    Hercules
    ChronoAvenger
    Steelfish
    Headwind
    Emergency

Navitimer for it's heritage and an instantly recognized model
    Aerospace for it's functionality and lightness
    Hercules for it's sheer build and was the original chunky Breitling
    ChronoAvenger for it's cult status, legibility and comfort, even for a big watch.
    Steelfish for it's everyday no nonsense appeal. Also great VFM.
    Headwind for being an overlooked beauty, with lines that put today's offerings to shame.
    Emergency..... Nuff said
    Last edited by MuRph77; 27th August 2012 at 12:17.

It's difficult to put my finger on it, but I think Breitling tends to mess around with their designs too much, which somehow prevents a style really gelling and becoming a classic. The Navi is the least changed, and that certainly is a classic look, and I do like the Chronomat Blackbird in the OP - the all matt, no bling look is far better than any of the newer Chronomats, the digi-analogue watches are unmistakenly Breitling, but I think most of the other lines have changed too much over the years.

None of the recent stuff.

As the previous poster alluded they keep messing around with their designs so instead of a classic all you have after a few years is an old model.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Petej2811 View Post
    That Blackbird is an absolute classic. I have wanted one of those for years but the chance to own the exact version I like has never come up. Black dial, Arabic numerals - pilot bracelet, of course. That watch looks as classy now as it did when it was new.
    Not a huge Breitling fan, but lately I've found myself liking more and more of their watches. And the Blackbird.... What can I say? A true beauty!

Craftsman
    Surely the Navitimer would make it onto this list along with the new transocean

Lots...

old size of Chronomat,
    Navitimer,
    Emergency,
    Aerospace,
    Chrono avenger...

loads...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I hope the Superocean Heritage makes it I really fell in love with mine

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

As the previous poster alluded they keep messing around with their designs so instead of a classic all you have after a few years is an old model.
    Agreed - too fashionable (rubber bezels, funny fonts, multicolours) to last in the value stakes. For me, the older Aerospace and original (or rather the 1990s original, not the 1955-era) Superocean.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Surely the Navitimer would make it onto this list along with the new transocean
    The current TransOcean is a very nice watch- simple, which makes it unusual- among the line-up anyway.

But even though I am such a self-confessed fanboi of the brand I may as well have the "B" tatoo'd on my posterior, I can't see it being something people lust after in the future, other than the general comment "That's not OTT, you sure it's a Breitling?"

I think breitling navitimer would make it as this is elegant

The Navitimer 806. The new ones are too big, too thick, too shiny.

As for the recent offerings I don't care for any except the Super Ocean Heritage but can't overlook a couple of fatal (for me) flaws. The dial has tiny lume plots and the bezel has no lume at all. It sacrifices function for fashion, an unforgivable sin. If Breitling fixes it they might have another classic.

As for the rest of the current line up I suspect in 20 years they will be regarded with the same disdain we now bestow on wide collars, leisure suits and platform shoes.

Master
    As already suggested the Navitimer is a current / future classic, but for my money the Aviastar is a cert for classic status. Its rarity, complex dial, domed crystal and bezel combine to make it a true classic in my eyes.

Navitimer 806. 1955 to 1970. Nothing that Breitling have produced since c1970 deserves classic status, certainly nothing during the last decade

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Very well stated.
    F.T.F.A.

Breitling future classics?

Id forgotten about the Aviastar. I loved them but never quite got round to buying one.. Blue and brown dials as well as black from memory.

for me it would have to be one of the older models, as other people have said they keep messing with the designs.

806 Navitimer or

Original SuperOcean Professional with the not so blingy brushed finish.

I think the B-1 deserves classic status...

Master
    B-1
    Original Aerospace
    Chrono Avenger
    Original Blackbird

Master
    Navitimer as an all time classic and Emergency as it's still a unique watch.

Craftsman
    I personally think the only model thats surviving the test of time is the Navitimer range.

eBay is a pretty good indicator as they still command reasonable money on there. Other models which some including myself would regard as classics seem to be struggling to even sell at times!

I agree with others, that the blingy models do not age well!

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    Id forgotten about the Aviastar. I loved them but never quite got round to buying one.. Blue and brown dials as well as black from memory.
    Yep.

A very plain 7750 chrono with the different coloured dials as you say.

I sold the black version on here many moons ago.
    Cheers,
    Neil.