closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary Jaeger navy seals fake.....

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Scary Jaeger navy seals fake.....

Rummaging around on the net researching JLC navy seals after looking at W44NNE's last week, I came across this. It's a fake/replica/copy/whatever you wanna call it.

Frankly, it's scary out there of they're copying to this level. At the end Of the day, how big a market can there possibly be for a watch like this???!!!!

Scary Jaeger navy seals fake.....

How can you tell this is fake?

Blog Entries
    Because the guy selling it admitted it was a fake.....

The bezel looks quite different, especially the small triangle on top. Otherwise its difficult to tell, even the date window sits pretty accurate. Maybe the hands are a little slimmer on the original? Scary.

Master
    A very good replica. I think it is the hands that gave it away. Scary!

Craftsman
    there is a special place in hell for lads who make / sell fake watches

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The bezel looks quite different, especially the small triangle on top. Otherwise its difficult to tell, even the date window sits pretty accurate. Maybe the hands are a little slimmer on the original? Scary.
    How long comparing did it take you to tell the difference???!!!

If it was a tag heuer, Rolex or perhaps panerai it's easy to tell because I've owned them and studied them in minute detail however I COULD have been fooled by this.....

Never seen the attraction with fakes from clothes to watches, I'll never understand why people buy them

Do you know what the seller was asking for this?

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    How long comparing did it take you to tell the difference???!!!

If it was a tag heuer, Rolex or perhaps panerai it's easy to tell because I've owned them and studied them in minute detail however I COULD have been fooled by this.....
    Agree, it took me a few minutes comparing the photos side by side. No chance I would have spotted it without a photo for comparison.

Not sure how these fakes feel when you are able to handle them? To be honest, I'd rather never find out!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spendor View Post
    Do you know what the seller was asking for this?
    Yes.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Yes.........
    Glad you're not saying. I don't think we should encourage this other than to point out which fakes are out there and how to spot them. Scumbags.

I'd like to see a side by side, play spot the difference. Asian origin no doubt...

The calibre of some of the fakes I saw in China last month was really high, still plenty of atrocities about though!

Master
    Here's mine Rick...

Before I bought this, I could have been duped by that fake! However, now I have one, the quality of areas such as the dial numerals isn't quite as good, with them not being as sharp etc.

There's no doubt it's scary hpw good some of these fakes are though!!!

Easily good enough to trap an unwary buyer over the net.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Now that is worrying. JLC is not exactly the most faked brand out there, most people haven't even heard of them. How is there a market for these fakes! Someone out there may get stung.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Easily good enough to trap an unwary buyer over the net.
    Especially when some fake sellers use pictures of real watches to pull the buyers in!

don't ever visit repgeek.com :P

Navy Seals

I have seen a thread on a replica site running into 30 pages about this watch.
    The members discuss the faults with the maker and they change it accordingly until its almost perfect. I did see a few comments from people that bought them saying they looked better in the photos than they appear in the hand.
    They also come complete with the articulated rubber bracelet.

The rep watch game is big business I'm afraid, some of them are extremely close looking to the real
    thing. But whip the case back off and look at the movement, they are usually crapola inside.

I must admit that I find an occaisonal guilty pleasure in looking at fakes. It is quite scary how close some of them appear to be, although as has been said, they're often pics of the genuine watch, and what you get is different, but the so called "high-end rep's" get quite close, although most have several giveaways. Not surprisingly Rolex in particular seem very close. The problem is that you need to be familiar with the watch to see the flaws - so it is a dangerous game if it's a watch you're not really familiar with.

Display backs normally give the game away though!

I was interested in waynes original post.

Scary.

Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I must admit that I find an occaisonal guilty pleasure in looking at fakes. It is quite scary how close some of them appear to be, although as has been said, they're often pics of the genuine watch, and what you get is different, but the so called "high-end rep's" get quite close, although most have several giveaways. Not surprisingly Rolex in particular seem very close. The problem is that you need to be familiar with the watch to see the flaws - so it is a dangerous game if it's a watch you're not really familiar with.

Display backs normally give the game away though!
    Agreed. Tbh I don't care if people have fakes, I know in the past I have worn them before I could afford the real thing. I don't even care if people wearing them pretend that they're real when people ask. It doesn't harm me or the trade IMHO (in fact a fake tag heuer bought in Ibiza in 1994 changed my life re: watches as I decided that I really wanted GENUINE tag heuer when I could afford it, plus a fake panerai i borrowed off someone influenced me to buy a genuine one) but what I find scary is people presenting fakes as genuine watches on t'internet like eBay.... I love the "lost papers in a house move" or "was left by a relative" (presumably a relative who enjoyed holiday in Tenerife!) but these are easy to spot. It's the fake box/papers that are available now....

Apprentice
    Copies are just getting better and better. And buying online from a private seller gets more and more risky...

Master
    Blog Entries
    this is quite worrying getting better

Just in case someone caught the bug for the real thing: Govberg in Philadelphia have one for sale at $5,900.00 (black non-bracelet rubber).
    Its not yet listed on their website, quote ref Q2018470 (I have no affiliation with seller).

scary indeed

i could easily be duped by a fake watch (pretty new to WIS & not had any higher end watches to compare against)

there was a post a while back highlighting the availability of fake black bays & palegos <sp?> already out there, watches that some of us could be tempted by & don't have the luxury of popping down to the local AD to see the real deal

don't really understand the attraction of fakes, to brand whores perhaps, but even then.... i mean my davosa is only a dodgy rolex logo away from being a fake, but it's not - its a homage & i'd rather have a genuine branded watch with some tenuous pedigree than a black market knock off, i think the first person you're cheating with a fake is yourself (although as mentioned not terrible if it cements your WISdom & you get the real thing)

i did once think that a fake made sense if you had the real thing & there were places you didnt wanna wear it (gym, holiday, moss side* etc ;) but then if you visit these places don't wear a watch at all

i guess the only good thing about the increase in fake quality is that the quality of the micro brands can only go up as they tend to source their cases etc from the same manufacturing countries that produce the counterfeit goods

*sorry if i've offended anyone with this little quip

Master
    This is what they class as one of the high end replicas at around the $400+ price range. But there are still lots of errors. The lumed triangle on the bezel is especially poorly done, the numbers on the dial have a slightly different shape and the caseback engravings are more shallow compared to the genuine.

And to the above poster. There are no fakes of the pelagos or black bay outside of homebrew projects that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post

And to the above poster. There are no fakes of the pelagos or black bay outside of homebrew projects that I am aware of.

http://www.great-wholesale.com/repli...h-p-10147.html

Master
    That would be a scam site using pictures of genuine watches to take your money.

Yeah, like you know the interweb, right? Try google, they know better.

Master

Re: Scary Jaeger navy seals fake.....

No, as a moderator on a replica forum and over 7k collective posts on various watch and replica forums I speak with some knowledge on the subject. No, I'm not all knowing or "know the internet" but I'm telling you with 99.99% assuredness that that site is showing you a picture of a genuine watch and not a fake.

No, as a moderator on a replica forum and over 7k collective posts on various watch and replica forums I speak with some knowledge on the subject. No, I'm not all knowing or "know the internet" but I'm telling you with 99.99% assuredness that that site is showing you a picture of a genuine watch and not a fake.
    You are a moderator on a replica forum? So what are you doing here?

Master

Enjoying discussions about watches just like any other watch enthusiast? Also generally helping non aware people in avoiding the pitfalls of fakes and being duped into buying them thinking they are genuine watches.

And it may come as a surprise, I own genuine watches as well as replicas.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You are 100% right. I have spent a lot of time working for certain watch companies (clients of mine) in Guangzhou, who make a large proportion of the fakes we see.

Scary how good the watches are getting, not surprised if the producers abroad get feedback on what makes them fakes. Surprised the watch brands don't take an harder line the websites.

Enjoying discussions about watches just like any other watch enthusiast? Also generally helping non aware people in avoiding the pitfalls of fakes and being duped into buying them thinking they are genuine watches.

And it may come as a surprise, I own genuine watches as well as replicas.
    You are calling yourself a watch enthusiast and say that you are owning fakes? Sorry, but that is mutually exclusive.

And this statement about fake-fora helping "non-aware people" to avoid pitfalls is utter nonsense and makes me want to puke.

Master

You are calling yourself a watch enthusiast and say that you are owning fakes? Sorry, but that is mutually exclusive.

And this statement about fake-fora helping "non-aware people" to avoid pitfalls is utter nonsense and makes me want to puke.
    I'm not going to get into this argument. The whole 'bury your head in the sand' attitude amuses me. You don't like them, cool, I'm not advertising forums or dealer websites, or promoting them.

But those who know the 'tells' get more fakes removed from eBay and other auction sites than you will ever know about. We're the ones that will comment on threads for people worried about authenticity and help them avoid being scammed. Were the ones who reveal people on forums attempting to pass off a fake as a genuine. But yes, utter nonsense like you say.

I'm not going to get into this argument. The whole 'bury your head in the sand' attitude amuses me. You don't like them, cool, I'm not advertising forums or dealer websites, or promoting them.

But those who know the 'tells' get more fakes removed from eBay and other auction sites than you will ever know about. We're the ones that will comment on threads for people worried about authenticity and help them avoid being scammed. Were the ones who reveal people on forums attempting to pass off a fake as a genuine. But yes, utter nonsense like you say.
    What a nonsense. If you want to be able to call the fakes you need to know the originals, not the fakes.

So what is it you are discussing on the forum where you are moderating - how to save the world from fakes?

Master

What a nonsense. If you want to be able to call the fakes you need to know the originals, not the fakes.

So what is it you are discussing on the forum where you are moderating - how to save the world from fakes?
    No, you've got it the wrong way round. It's far easier to educate yourself on the major tells of a fake than it is to memorise every single genuine watch in existence. But believe me, there are people on our fora that know the genuine watches better than those who buy them.

We are always posting threads on eBay/craigslist fakes so we can get them removed. If someone wants to buy a fake, fine, but I don't agree with people scamming others in pretending a fake is a gen. Think of it as honour among thieves.

No, you've got it the wrong way round. It's far easier to educate yourself on the major tells of a fake than it is to memorise every single genuine watch in existence. But believe me, there are people on our fora that know the genuine watches better than those who buy them.

We are always posting threads on eBay/craigslist fakes so we can get them removed. If someone wants to buy a fake, fine, but I don't agree with people scamming others in pretending a fake is a gen. Think of it as honour among thieves.

Master

Exactly how I feel :)

double edged sword tho.... the more failings pointed out on fakes the more the fakes get better

the forum u moderate

whats the % split between is this fake? and whats the best fake i can buy and where to get it?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    double edged sword tho.... the more failings pointed out on fakes the more the fakes get better

the forum u moderate

whats the % split between is this fake? and whats the best fake i can buy and where to get it?
    Not really. There is only one factory that interacts in a very loose capacity to produce and replicate specific watches and receive feedback. All the others are basically independant operators. You think that any mainstream watch factory producing tens of thousands of watches at profit would listen to suggestions from a enthusiast forum? Same thing applies.

1% is this fake
    5% where is the best fake
    96% reviews on watches, tutorials on working on watches and movements, discussion on new watches, etc etc.

Not really. There is only one factory that interacts in a very loose capacity to produce and replicate specific watches and receive feedback. All the others are basically independant operators. You think that any mainstream watch factory producing tens of thousands of watches at profit would listen to suggestions from a enthusiast forum? Same thing applies.

1% is this fake
    5% where is the best fake
    96% reviews on watches, tutorials on working on watches and movements, discussion on new watches, etc etc.
    So your "enthusiast forum" actually helps the operators of fake-factories to improve their fakes by providing feedback? And then you are warning "non-aware" people how not to buy them?

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Master

Yes, its not really complicated. If someone wants to buy a fake we help them not get scammed. If someone posts a fake on eBay etc we get it removed. If someone posts a rep on a gen forum they are banned for life on all the rep forums. If someone wants to purchase a genuine watch we can tell them what to look out for so as not to be ripped off.

If someone posts a rep on a gen forum they are banned for life on all the rep forums.
    Drifting off topic here (I think), but how do you define rep? I've seen some of the vintage "Panerais" on gen forums, for instance.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Drifting off topic here (I think), but how do you define rep? I've seen some of the vintage "Panerais" on gen forums, for instance.
    Depends really. A genuine Rolex with an aftermarket bezel insert is commonplace especially among vintage watches or just regular customised pieces. A replica with a genuine insert is another matter.

There are genuine vintage Panerai so I'm not sure where you're coming from on that front.

Of course the person has to be a member of our forums in order to be banned.

There are genuine vintage Panerai so I'm not sure where you're coming from on that front.

Of course the person has to be a member of our forums in order to be banned.

I was referring to the recreations of the Small Egis, etc. We have seen a few of these - just interested in your view on whether they are reps or something else...

Re membership - I imagine that the best way to get a really good Small Egi made is via one of the darkside forums... but I might be wrong.