closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ?Mark MCXLVIII? Project Watch Finished (Pictures)

Grand Master

?Mark MCXLVIII? Project Watch Finished (Pictures)

A few days ago I finally received my ?Mark MCXLVIII? project watch back from IWW. The project was launched on 15 July 2005 and I was hoping to have it finished within a year. As it turned out, it took quite a bit longer. :(

The design of the legendary IWC Mark 11 (in the later version, with the additional triangle at 12 and the ?cut-off? hour hand) has fascinated me ever since I took a serious interest in watches. After nearly two decades, it is still the most beautiful of dial/hands combinations in my eyes. Hence it is safe to say, I guess, that seeking an everyday watch with this dial/hands combination was not exactly a spur-of-the-moment thing but a well considered move. :-)

For a while I was tempted to acquire an IWC Mark XV, but did not have the faith, after much studying of the relevant fora, in the IWC after-sales support of what would in effect, for me, be a once-in-a-lifetime watch. I am much more at ease with watches that I can replace, if worse comes to worst. Also, the Mark XV has a modernized dial and isn?t as true to the original Mark 11 dial with the characteristic elongated hour marks. The Mark XII has a sensitive movement, and while I feel that I have read all arguments for and against the JLC movement, I was not convinced by it. I then looked at a number of options for a Mark 11/Mark XII/Mark XV homage watch. I soon realized that few, if any watches, could match the high specs of these IWC watches. The Orfina/Royal Navy ?Mark II? came close with the inner antimagnetic case, but lacked the low-pressure resistant crystal, and is rather big and heavy. It soon became clear that the homage would have to have lower specs.

Fortunately, Bill Yao (http://www.mkiiwatches.com) offers sterile 32mm dials and matching hands in the Mark 11 pattern (He calls them ?Type 48?). I decided against Bill Yao's ready-made ?Quad 10? watch as it is too large (52mm lug-to-lug) and too heavy (ca. 78 grams) for my purpose. In the end, the low weight and beautifully domed and armored acrylic crystal of Eddies Precista "Fat Arrow" PRS-53 (http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm) made me decide in favor of this watch as the basis of the project. Combined with a Type 48 dial and hands set, this was going to become my Frankenwatch.

The name ?Mark MCXLVIII? for the project started as a pun on the IWC tradition to number their watches (from the Mark XII onward) as if they were still British military issue, by taking the pseudo-numbering system to an absurd extreme. I chose the year 1148 as it marks a special place in my life. I did not even realize that 1148 was also the combination of numerals of Mark 11 and Type 48 ? but being a conservative person, I could not bring myself to change the project name once it had been established.

The PRS-53 comes with an ETA 2824 (automatic) or 2801 (handwound) movement. It is 37mm wide (without crown), and 12.75mm high. These are almost the same dimensions as the original IWC Mark 11 (35-36mm wide and 12.8mm high), and closer to the original than the IWC Mark XV at 38mm and 10.5mm. The PRS is water-resistant to 50m (Mark 11: 30m; Mark XV: 60m), and does not have a screw-down crown. It is antimagnetic to 4,800 A/m (Mark 11: 12,000 A/m; Mark XV: 40,000 A/m). Weight is ca. 44 grams without strap.

Work performed included:
    - Fitting a new automatic ETA 2824 movement (élaboree grade) with white date disk
    - Mounting the Yao dial and hands in the case (the second hand is not the Yao one, but one from a Speedbird 2)
    - sterilizing the caseback to remove all Precista laser etchings
    - reluming the dial and hands in matte C3 pale green Super-Luminova
    - test for original water-resistance of 50m

The work was excellently performed at various stages by Bry1975 (satintime@gmail.com), Chris Heal (http://www.chealwatch.com) and Jack@IWW (http://www.angelfire.com/blues/andca...Firstpage.html).

I decided to retain the original brushed finish of the PRS-53. This was, to some degree, out of curiosity as most of my watches are beadblasted. Also, the original Mark 11 had a brushed finish, so it did not seem out of place. I must say that I quite like it. There are a few bling (polished) elements on the watch, like the hands and the retaining ring of the acrylic crystal, but they are quite alright on an office watch. I chose the white date disk because the amount of visible white is a closer match to the white area of the hour numerals than a white-on-black date disk would have. Also, on the 32mm dial the date window is exactly in the place of the numeral 3 (the luminous index at 3 is the same length as the ones at 6 and 9 ? another advantage over the Mark XII and Mark XV), and having a white numeral just would not look right ? unless it would be set permanently to three.

The watch project went through several detours, wrist tests, proof-of-concept phases, and changes of course. It started out as handwound Mark 11 homage with no date and at lower specs (armored instead of screw-down crystal, and no extra antimagnetic inner case). At this stage, I wore the watch for a few days to test the case of the PRS-53 and the 18mm lug width, with excellent results. I was initially apprehensive about the 18mm lug width as I am a big fan of sturdy nylon straps, but the narrow NATO strap wears fine (though Eddie?s new NATOs are at least one centimeter too short, so I had to look for an alternative gray strap), and the low weight of the watch as well as the high-placed crown (see the profile shot below) add to the comfort factor. Next to the plastic Traser/H3 P6500, this is easily my most comfortable watch.

Pictures of version 1:

When wearing the watch I realized that yet another handwound watch was hardly what I needed. I get to wear my no-date watches (I already have two of them ? the Zegarek Zubrow and a Hamilton GG-W-113, both of them keepers) only in the evening or on the weekend, but what I really needed was an everyday office watch with unspectacular specifications, but a pleasing design reminiscent of a classic.

So, the Mark-11-homage became something entirely different. An automatic movement was ordered, as well as a date dial. After integration, version 2 of the watch looked like this:

At this point, the watch had transformed from the Mark-11-homage to a homage of a little-known IWC dress watch, the Portofino 3513 with Mark 11 dial and hands. This puny 34mm watch (at the time that was a perfectly acceptable size for a mens' watch) was what kept the aviation watch tradition alive for IWC prior to the introduction of the 3740 quartz-mechanical Fliegerchronograph in 1988, and was available well into the 1990s. The 3513 was powered by an ETA 2892, and did not have special antimagnetic protection or a specially secured crystal. The Portofino had been my first IWC watch, and even though it has long been sold (the feminine lugs and small size would make it unwearable on my 9-inch wrists today), it has retained a special place in my memory. I realized that the automatic project watch with date could be a perfect, larger-size homage to the meanwhile discontinued IWC 3513.

Here is a picture, plucked somewhere from the net, of the IWC 3513 with the Mark 11 dial variant:

Wearing the version 2 watch was a great experience, but there was one thing missing: The lume on the original 3513, as on the Mark 11, was a pale green (ah, the happy days of tritium-based lume!) whereas the Bill Yao dial had white C1 lume, matching the dial print in daylight ? and it wasn't nearly as strong as the IWW-relumed Speedbird 2 I ran it against in a memorable nightly glow-off. So I decided that the watch needed to go to IWC for a relume and some minor additional work which, in the end, included yet another change of the somewhat quirky movement. The pale green lume gives the dial a tricolor appearance in daylight, as opposed to the IWC and Bill Yao two-color schemes. It may be a small detail, but I quite like it.

So here are a few inexpert pictures of the version 3:

On the wrist:

Lume shot:

Sterile caseback:

Profile (please note the comfortably high-placed crown):

And more:

And here is a final shot of my new office watch among the other watches in my line-up:

I am eagerly awaiting the Speedbird 3 from Eddie (http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19554) with full antimagnetic specification and a low-pressure-resistant crystal.

As I probably will not wear the SB3 in the office, the Mark MCXLVIII will hardly be made redundant.

I would like to say a big "thank you" to the members of TZ-UK who have contributed much during the various discussions of this project, and especially to Eddie who has throughout supported the project in word and deed. :!: 8) :D

I am looking forward to having a good time with this timepiece! :-)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Well, it was quite an odyssey, but the end result is beautiful, and now you have left-over bits enough for some more projects :D Enjoy!

Cheers,
    Gert

Martin, it's great to see the project finally completed and in it's rightful place on your wrist. I admire the perseverence and dedication it takes to get these project watches to theur completed state, and this is a great example. Lovely watch, looks to be well worth the wait!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Hi Martin

First of all congratulations for having the patients to see this project through to the very end. The final result is a fantastic looking and individual watch.!

Thanks for the indepth write up of the project, its very interesting to read what are people "likes and dislikes" when creating a watch.

I am sure it will give you loads of well earned wrist time.

Thanks
    deano

Great essay and great watch, well done!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Fantastic looking little watch! Well done for seeing it all through to the end.

I surely hope that Eddie will bring out soon the variant of the Speedbird, SB 3.

VA

I real labour of love Martin but it was all worth it. I'm sure you have a deep feeling of satisfaction with the result.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    A Tremendous watch :D :)

I like the final homage-the IWC 3513. Your modern example of a MKII type is, imo, a very considered, and apt creation.

It's unfussy, elagantly attractive appearance belies considerable questions that have been clearly very well addressed.

Congratualtions :)

Great pics and fascinating account.

See it on friday, sup-pose?! Great :)

Sincerely,

Pottinger :)

Very nice, Martin. Wear it in great health. :)

Brilliant Martin. All the details are there, but it is the acrylic that does it most for me.

Craftsman

Re: ?Mark MCXLVIII? Project Watch Finished (Pictures)

Excellent project, outstanding execution, and a great narrative - thanks so much for sharing, and congratulations on the watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I am much more at ease with watches that I can replace, if worse comes to worst.
    Provided you have 15 months to spare. :wink:

Guntram

Master
    Congrats Martin! Seems like we need another WIS meet :D

Great write-up Crusader. Nothing much to add, just following the progress.

...........The pale green lume gives the dial a tricolor appearance in daylight, as opposed to the IWC and Bill Yao two-color schemes. ..............
    Are you including 'black' in your tri- ... ?

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Are you including 'black' in your tri- ... ?
    Black or silver (hands) - your choice. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guntram
    I am much more at ease with watches that I can replace, if worse comes to worst.
    Provided you have 15 months to spare. :wink:
    :lol:

Next time should be faster ... there is much learning involved in the first round. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Good job, Crus. Nice to see it finished at last.

I think it is the inclusion of the date on this watch that sets it head and shoulders above other PRS-53/Mk 11 conversions. It is a well considered, and not inexpensive, addition.

Jim 8)

Grand Master
    Thank you all for your positive comments. :)

Sorry to say, but I avoid the Friday thread (too long loading times on my weekend modem).
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Am I starting to think there sould be a monday /week-starter watchthread? Or does this pose the same technical complications?

The great pics do well for now, imo :)

Sincerely,

Pottinger :)

Thomas Reid
    Very nice, indeed. It looks like you got just the watch you wanted, and not by accident.

Best wishes,
    Bob

More than a nice watch. It's your watch - I admire your diligence.

jseeds
    Awesome watch and a great story. I want one now . Wear it in good health. :D

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Job done, nice looking watch, exactly what you wanted - who could ask for anything more??

Super write up Martin, it certainly was an 'adventure'. :)

Great result too, wear it in health. :) :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Great post Martin, I love reading through your reasoning.

regards

siggy

Craftsman
    the country where every village is a nation
    Great work, congratulations. I´ve had a nice time reading your description of the whole project and watching the pics.
    Thanks Crusader........(ooppsss, sorry :P :D :D :D )

Not my cup o' noodles but congrats just the same.

Journeyman
    I thoroughly enjoyed your post about your project. It is awesome to see the passion for the hobby and building a watch that you really want. It is awesome.

Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by flieger

Thanks Crusader........(ooppsss, sorry :P :D :D :D )
    Don't. Just don't.

john

Grand Master
    Thank you again for your comments. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ToddH
    It is awesome to see the passion for the hobby and building a watch that you really want.
    I am not really building the watch, alas. I have nowhere the dexterity or the technical knowledge that Ted, Bob and a few others here possess to actually work on a watch.

The only things I can manage is some research re style, available options and precedents, and then actually to manage the project (i.e. get various persons to do work as closely as possible to what I imagined should be done).

As for the daily life of project management, I refer to this excellent summary:

Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

john