closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Z-33 - in the flesh - mini review

Blog Entries

Omega Z-33 - in the flesh - mini review

I was in an Omega Boutique in London yesterday and was able to try on the Z-33 from Omega.

These are my personal opinions and should be taken as such.

In the show case it looked absolutely amazing. The assistant was very willing for me to try it. The one in the show case was on brown leather and they also showed me the alternate which was on black rubber. Both came on quality deployant clasps - Ti. The rubber was the 'cut to size' variety and sadly the clasp had *no* ratchet mechanism like the re-issues PloProf 1200m - just a couple of adjustment holes maybe 1 or 2mm apart.

First impressions: The watch looks to me like a 'concept' watch.

A crazy amount of features and not intuitive - but appealing to my 'nerd' side of the brain. The display could be changed either by quickly twirling or pushing in the crown - either seemed to work. The alarm was LOUD - super load - appreciably loader than the Omega X-33 or Breitling B-1.

The case was massive but light weight as it's all Ti case. Very 'bullet head' styling - quite retro.

The digital read out would not look out of place in 'Space 1999' - its a long time since I've seen red LED on a watch! They light up each time you change function which must be a drain on the battery? Battery life is quoted as 2years

I didn't try all the digital features - I though the ability to move the hands out of place of the digital readout was a 'cool' feature - again a bit of a battery drainer perhaps as?

Without the digital display it was a clean display. Because of the bright daylight conditions I was unable to see first hand how the luminosity looked like.

I happened to be wearing a suit as I was coming back from a wedding yesterday - and I don't think it quite works as a suit watch.

For me - it was too large all round - the lug-to-lug width is just too big for my wrists and the thickness was excessive (for me) - it may fit better on others I'm sure.

The price is on a par with the other Omegas on the market (MRP £3,720 at the moment).

Final word: I truly think Omega is brave and to be commended for bringing out a quality high end quartz against the trend. And good on them for what must be a heavy investment in a new quartz movement showing Innovation Is Not Dead.

Pictures:
    (All taken at Omega Boutique Oxford Street London)

By comparison - I was really impressed with this version of the AT - watch this space..

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

thanks for the review. how much is a battery change quoted at for these?

Journeyman

Omega Z-33

Stunning looking omega , as you say nice to see omega with a high end quartz .

It's a funky watch and very clever, but doesn't look the the thick end of 4 grand.

It looks too 1980's for me.

I was there yesterday with the full intention of buying this (it was on a plinth in a glass box) but seeing as the predominately Chinese sales assistants seemed keener to fawn over the Chinese customers in the store and ignored my wife and I for at least 5 minutes I decided to vote with my feet and get out of there.

Blimey - the case is very deep (no chance of getting that big boy under a cuff). The dial looks surprisingly clean, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I was there yesterday with the full intention of buying this (it was on a plinth in a glass box) but seeing as the predominately Chinese sales assistants seemed keener to fawn over the Chinese customers in the store and ignored my wife and I for at least 5 minutes I decided to vote with my feet and get out of there.
    They were very busy yesterday! Maybe try the Bond Street one. Anyway - I only went in to find out about getting my 8500 PO adjusted and they were helpful but unable to help as they have no on-site watchmen - unlike Bond Street / Regent Street.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Ah I was actually in the Regent St one (at the crossroads of Oxford St) I forgot about the new store on Oxford St where Ernest Jones used to be!

Blog Entries
    They are a great watch paid £2650 from an ad last week;-)
    And here it is with my Rolex DEEPSEA and x33
    It's very thick

Makes the DSSD look tiny in comparison ;)

Quite something from Omega, and where I normally don't shy away from large and thick watches, this one seems very thick indeed. Thanks for the review and pictures!

Hi

Love the display on these....cracking !
    Big bugger when you compare it to a DSSD (which I personally thought was to thick) - perhaps I need to now rethink that point

Best - Neil

The question is what watch did you wear to the wedding?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    i dont like it.
    sorry to those who have one etc.. but something about it just doesnt work to my eye.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ally View Post
    Makes the DSSD look tiny in comparison ;)
    You apparently typed that while I was sitting here reading this and thinking the same thing.

Ridiculous, Sorry. I've got 2 flightys, had a Mk3 Speedy, and a 125 so like a chunky watch.

It must have cost Omega a fortune to tool up for this.....but why? Same with the 'new' Speedmaster, WHHHHYYYY?

This is the classic Mini vs that BMW abomination all over again!

.........I quite like that X33 actually (NO!)

Wow. Much larger than I thought. It will definitely be a polarizing piece.

Thanks for the comparison!

I'm a big fan of 'different', but personally i don't like the shape of the case, the side profile, nor the transition into the strap. The face looks very clean though.

Just IMO of course and I'm sure if the styling floats your boat then it will be a cracking watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a play with one of these at my local AD a fees weeks ago. Not my cup of tea but was impressed by the quality none the less. The owner said he was getting one for his personal collection and was going to have it PVD coated. That will look good I'm sure.

Z-33

Not my cup of tea either! Love the AT though.

Cool Super!

I LOVE it.....so different and inovating.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's a monster. I like the styling and the retro case, I think if I was hankering after a 79's style case though I'd probably end up choosing a recon fllightmaster and keeping the 1500 left over. I like it though. Cheers for the mini review. :-)

Why's the case so damned thick?

When I tried one on a while back at the Boutique store in New Bong Street my impression was that the the thickness was largely a result of a sound chamber on the back. Perhaps the OP can confirm, but to me it looked as if you could see right through the holes on the back, suggesting it was hollow.

I still like by the way ... Retro, presence and feature-packed .... Marmite yes, but could see me wearing it a lot .... Perhaps one day .....

Puzzling thickness indeed, here are some numbers :
    - 5666 : 13.30 mm
    - Z33 : 19.85 mm

- 1666 : 6.90 mm
    - X33 : 10.35 mm

Why the movement has to be 2x thicker is anyone's guess...the "echo chamber" is not that much bigger and I don't think the alarms is rated at more than the 80dB of the X-33?

thanks for review but am totally out of touch or what this is hideous

sorry but

uglier than an ugly thing.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    uglier than an ugly thing.
    Absolutely.

[QUOTE=golfg60;2444413]They are a great watch paid £2650 from an ad last week;-)
    It's very thick

great pick up, is it the one from US ebay with no bids?

I thought my Spring Drive was thick but that is just too big...nononono

Something different and retro about the z33. I think it needs to be seen in the flesh and handled before i make a true opinion but so far looks good.
    And

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=simonsays;2445178]
    Quote Originally Posted by golfg60 View Post
    They are a great watch paid £2650 from an ad last week;-)
    It's very thick

great pick up, is it the one from US ebay with no bids?
    Nope uk AD brand new ;-)

I love the looks - but probably wouldn't buy one - although size wise, a fair bit smaller than the Seiko Spacewalk @ 53mm and over 15mm thick, although it is still a fair bit thicker than the Seiko!
    It's just a matter of time...

A hideous oversized mess.

Banned
    It's interesting that the majority of comments focus on how thick the watch is.

The same was said (and still is) in respect of the DSSD, but it gets away with it on the basis of its depth rating.

I'd say the Z33 is all in the interests of fashion.

I have a passion for quirky, but for its price it needs to have the ability to be worn daily, which IMHO it doesn't. These will be heavily discounted in time to come. Still like it though...

Not sure the DSSD gets away with it due to its depth rating - it gets away with it for me by being a watch I can wear comfortably any day of the week. Perhaps the Z33 is a comfortable watch to wear too??
    It's just a matter of time...

[QUOTE=golfg60;2445252]
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsays View Post

Nope uk AD brand new ;-)
    fantastic discount. Now for that price i am tempted, just not sure i have cupboard space for that box. Its huge!

Journeyman
    Its certainly a striking looking watch, and I love the red display. But the AT is the better looking watch in my opinion. Plus you'd be able to get it under a shirt cuff :)

Too fat - needs to go on a diet!! If it was 15mm thick - then it would be an absolute winner.

Blog Entries

Great review!

I wouldn't buy the watch, but I applaude Omaga for bringing it on the market.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I wouldn't buy the watch, but I applaude Omaga for bringing it on the market.

Daddel.
    i agree. Good to see brave design.

Big, ugly, pointless, I bloody love it. The X33 is the daddy though, shoulda kept mine.

That AT !!!! Wow. Crisp

Better offerings around at that price. Worth a look though!

Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    It's a funky watch and very clever, but doesn't look the the thick end of 4 grand.

It looks too 1980's for me.
    +1

Agreed.

I would happily pay 2500 USD for this, but not 4,000-5,000. Like the TC movement, the clean ana-digi display. Not so sure about the chunky 70s case and the lack of a bracelet option.

Perhaps a second hand one id the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Ridiculous, Sorry. I've got 2 flightys, had a Mk3 Speedy, and a 125 so like a chunky watch.

It must have cost Omega a fortune to tool up for this.....but why? Same with the 'new' Speedmaster, WHHHHYYYY?

This is the classic Mini vs that BMW abomination all over again!

.........I quite like that X33 actually (NO!)
    But thanks to BMW, the MINI didn't go the way of the crusher's and in the process, raised much awareness for the 1959-2000 BMC/Rover Issigoni's Minis (As much as the classic Mini owners want to deny this until they are blue in the face). I have known many BMW MINI owners that bought classics because of the new car and happily own both in their garages.. I never understood the "hatred" directed to BMW for pretty much reviving what was to be a moribund and terminal design. The British car industry (And what was left of it towards the tail end of the 1990s) would have never be able to follow up with a successful and profitable design.
    Last edited by JapanWatchConnection; 24th September 2012 at 21:24.

Marmite Omega?

Would make for a great purchase int he second hand market!

Grand Master
    I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Too fat - needs to go on a diet!! If it was 15mm thick - then it would be an absolute winner.
    Not even. Make that 10-12mm thickness max. This is not a diver rated to 2000m and I doubt very much the super quartz module requires that thick of a case.

Still good to see Omega not forgetting their quartz "roots".

Puzzling thickness indeed, here are some numbers :
    - 5666 : 13.30 mm
    - Z33 : 19.85 mm

- 1666 : 6.90 mm
    - X33 : 10.35 mm

Why the movement has to be 2x thicker is anyone's guess...the "echo chamber" is not that much bigger and I don't think the alarms is rated at more than the 80dB of the X-33?

As for the price, yes it's rather high although I looked up the MSRP of the X-33 and it was $3400 apparently (not sure when, 1998 or 2005, let's assume 1998) so in 1998 that was probably even "worse" relatively speaking than the Z-33 with today's ridiculously inflated prices at Omega.
    Last edited by webvan; 24th September 2012 at 21:32.