closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does TZ-UK compare?

Master

How does TZ-UK compare?

Hi all

Just noticed that TZ-UK now has 1700 registered members and just wondered how that compares to other forums/fora that people use/know of.

From my perspective this is one of the busiest and friendliest ones by far.

What do you guys (and girls) think?

Cheers and well done for getting to 1700!

8)

It's back to 1699 now, I just killed a registration advertising a dodgy commercial website (I get about 100 of these a week). I also weeded out over 300 inactive users with zero posts a few weeks ago so the majority of registered users now are active.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Over the last few months this has been the main site I visit.

I used to post regularly on WUS, but now only on the Schauer and German forums.
    Other than that I take an occassional look at the SCs on TZ and Purists.

Spending a bit more time here this week as not doing any work, having had first eye operation for cataracts. Peering blindly at the screen and keyboard.

this is the only watch Forum i use :D

i have one BIG PROBLEM WITH THIS SITE THOUGH!!!

IT MAKES ME SPEND TO MUCH MONEY :D :D

I mostly post here, but I also hang out in RLT and WUS from time to time (and even TZ and EOT occasionally). Mostly, I like it here, though :D
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I only post here, and I have a hard enough time keeping up to speed with everything, so I could'nt use another forum if I wanted to :D
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

This is a much nicer site....

I know it sounds naff to refer this as a 'nice site' but I find most of the Rolex and Panerai sites a little 'lacking' - lots of photo's with their hands on the steering wheel of an expensive car, or 'look at my 50 expensive watches' posts - anal moans about fake watches, or daft questions like 'I bought this Submariner off ebay, a guy in the far east, is it real??? or 'I took my watch off for a week and it's stopped' :shock: :evil:

Dare I say, not really people who are into watches, but lots of alpha-males showing off their expensive jewellery and fast cars, which was ok when it was 1987, greed was good, speed cameras were science fiction and I was 18 :roll: :lol:

Craftsman
    This is IMHO the only forum I've come across that embodies all of these qualities:

a welcoming attitude towards everybody
    room for differences in taste
    very knowledgeable helpful members
    very articulate members
    a great sense of humour
    a lot of threads on the development of new watches (Timefactors')
    a well working assortment of subforums
    no moderation and still no idiots
    an if not limited then very honest commercial interest (no secracy or attempts to hide interests)
    a lot of great new and old threads everytime you log on

This is the only place I post :D

Blog Entries
    The only place for me, guess I'm just a monofora type of guy :wink:

Out to you

Crouchy

Other forums.! :evil: :evil: :evil:

No way I thought this was the only one...

deano

What worries me ... is that one of these days somebody is going to offer Eddie a huge sum to go and sit on some beach sipping lemonade.

:twisted:

john
    Every watch a story.

Apprentice
    Me, a most humble noob, likes it a lot! 8)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej
    Apostate! :twisted: ... :lol: :wink:

Besides occasionally posting a thought or two here :wink: , I am regular on WUS (Pil-Mil, Sinn, German, Stowa/Schauer).

I regularly keep an eye on Watchtime.ch (the major German-language watch forum), TimeZone Sinn and German, and the IWC fora, too, but only post there when I am in the mood.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

The WUS private sales is full of dealers ... and Casios. :evil:

john
    Every watch a story.

Master
    I used to visit WUS a lot, too, but since the change of the interface style I haven't visited it that much. I find it very difficult to navigate.

I prefer TZ-UK's style of interface

Born

Craftsman
    I don't like TZ-UK...

I Love It!

__________________________________________________ _____________

There's this camaraderie and whilst a glance at 'The Shed' forum will illustrate how diverse our views are, it remains a place I feel proud to be a part of...

Thanks all for making this possible

Quote Originally Posted by Hash
    and whilst a glance at 'The Shed' forum will illustrate how diverse our views are, it remains a place I feel proud to be a part of...

Thanks all for making this possible
    What shed?

john
    Every watch a story.

Master
    Boys' Room (formerly Sheds) :wink:

Master
    Hi ya

I have tried Timezone and perused some of the other sites like WUS and EOT but in all honesty so far, I have enjoyed this site the most. It's not too cliquey and it's not governed by corporate sluts, which is always a good thing.

Cheers

My favorite forum is right here. I check out RLT twice a day but rarely post. I also go to PMWF I love the madness of that place but hate the every watch is a great watch, slap on the back buddy-buddy attitude. If I post a piece of crap watch tell me so. I used to go to EOT DWF but I have tried to register with no success, besides the tree type fora are hard for me to read. I gave up on TZ years ago and only pop in when I am totally bored.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by stix
    Hi ya

I have tried Timezone and perused some of the other sites like WUS and EOT but in all honesty so far, I have enjoyed this site the most. It's not too cliquey and it's not governed by corporate sluts, which is always a good thing.

Cheers
    I would like to be a corporate slut! Any corporations out there listening?

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Not MA. I have some standards.
    RLF

Journeyman
    It's the only forum I use. Friendly and objective.
    A nice place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    If I post a piece of crap watch tell me so.
    You haven't yet posted a piece of crap, but we'll let you know when you do :D

One of my, new, favorites

I post regularly at WUS, occassionally on some other fora, but this site has fast become my main source for solid information. I really enjoy the absence of the PCism I see lots of other places.

As a Yank living in the Southern US, the other thing that strikes me as very positive about TZ-Uk is the broader variety of watches seen here and the complete lack of "Mine cost more" attitude I've encountered elsewhere. Being a "Affordable" watch kinda guy that has been very refreshing.

Where posting is concerned, you have to devote yourself to one forum. Otherwise, you end up spending all your time reading whilst whining that you never have any time to post. :lol:

I probably visit RLT about once a month or so for old times sake (I do own one of Roy's watches), but I do not have a login over there.

[quote="Crusader
    <<<<<<<<<<big>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I regularly keep an eye on Watchtime.ch (the major German-language watch forum), ....................[/quote]

Thanks for that ecxcellent tip, great forum; I have bookmarked it. Merci vielmol!

Re: One of my, new, favorites

Quote Originally Posted by docrwm

As a Yank living in the Southern US, the other thing that strikes me as very positive about TZ-Uk is the broader variety of watches seen here and the complete lack of "Mine cost more" attitude I've encountered elsewhere. Being a "Affordable" watch kinda guy that has been very refreshing.
    I don't think price comes into it. A watch has to be honest.

A few years back Eddie said that he was setting out to show some of the dishonesty in the pricing of watches and the DN experiment proved just that. Nobody objects to paying a lot of money (assuming one has it) for something of value ... but it is nasty to be paying top dollar for some of the most basic stuff.

It would be nice at some point in the future for Time Factors to attempt the same experiment with something a tad higher up the food chain ... in small numbers ... so to speak.

john
    Every watch a story.

My real interest is vintage omegas, so my main forum is wus omega forum. Like it here as it is friendly and it is full of real watch lovers as opposed to people wanting to show off how much their latest watch costs. I read a lot more than i post here .. always interesting stuff.Read timezone omega forum, but hardly post there as it is rather too anal there these days with all the silly rules they make.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    Yeah I know its great:

You forgot to mention the word "cheap", I picked up two G-Bargains the other month and love them.

Thanks
    deano

Master
    This is a great forum, full of interesting topics, humorous diversions, trustworthy people (the ones i have dealt with anyway) and best of all our hosts great line of products.

What more can i say :P

I find it a very friendly and informative forum. I try and log on as much as i can when I am here. There is someone allways out there who can answer questions that we ask in a friendly maner. You cant ask for more.

Great forum!!

Peter (Nimrod|)

Master
    I'm here and a nice place called The Rolex Forums most of the time now. I go to the other place just 'cause I have friends there from way back and we have a good laugh :lol:

Not spending nearly so much time on the forums anymore. I like it here a lot though.
    Cheers,
    Bruce

Grand Master

(...) the other thing that strikes me as very positive about TZ-Uk is the broader variety of watches seen here and the complete lack of "Mine cost more" attitude I've encountered elsewhere. Being a "Affordable" watch kinda guy that has been very refreshing.
    100% agreement! :D

BTW, that's the difference to watchtime.ch :twisted:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I do go to other forums when I'm looking for something that I can't find here, which isn't often unless I'm looking for something 'brand specific'.

But most of my 'time' is spent here. The contributors are, in the main :wink: , knowledgeable and informative. Best of all, they seem more than willing to share their knowledge freely. :)

As Hash said, I don't like it here....... I LOVE IT. :) :) :) :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    It is Interesting, informative not to mention enjoyable here, with its good moments :)

The reflections, the considerations; of many matters pertaining to, in respect of watches, between persons contributing on the forum, from various situations, or simply visiting- renders it an unusually broad place.

The consideration shown by persons here in respect of questions, developments or to share about, again, is unusual.

It is natural here, as can be. This is, imo, central to the consider-able atmosphere, in this place.

Best Wishes to all and thanks to all who contribute and make this possible.
    This is something special. Not slaps for chaps on the backs, but a living, mutual, developing entity of mindfulness.

And fun!

Best Wishes,

Sincerely,

Pottinger :D

Journeyman
    I check into this forum almost every day, although I usually "lurk" unless I feel I have something worth posting. The folks here are extremely friendly and knowledgeable. They also post the most incredible watch photos. Not a day goes by that I don't start pining away for some new goody that one of the members has shown us.

I also regularly visit the RLT site, which virtually equal. Other than these two, I find most of the other watch fora hard to navigate and less interesting in content.

Another attraction here is our host, Eddie, and his excellent Precista and Broadarrow lines of timepieces. Had I the funds, I would promptly (i.e., today) order at least three more to add to my collection. Oh, well maybe one more for my Christmas present to me.

Grayman

Craftsman
    I don`t post much but this IS the best site on the net, very friendly. :P

I don't think price comes into it. A watch has to be honest.

A few years back Eddie said that he was setting out to show some of the dishonesty in the pricing of watches and the DN experiment proved just that. Nobody objects to paying a lot of money (assuming one has it) for something of value ... but it is nasty to be paying top dollar for some of the most basic stuff.

It would be nice at some point in the future for Time Factors to attempt the same experiment with something a tad higher up the food chain ... in small numbers ... so to speak.

john
    John,

I agree about honesty.

I just purchased a SA V7-22X. They listed for around $350 and sold for $39.95 as a loss-leader for a new watch show on TV here. They have the Eta 251.262 quartz movement with 27 jewels. They also have the chrono seconds hand on the main dial instead of s sub-dial. Nice watch - 200m rating, sapphire, 316L steel, etc.

Funny thing, the 251.262 is in the Breitling B53 which costs? I think of the V7-22X as a more honest watch - perhaps not the Bling but then again it doesn't blind me every time I try to see what time it is. 8)

-Robert

Apprentice
    I have a hard time keeping up with all the forums I am on! For watches I hang out at rolexforums, they helped me decide on a purchase. Then I wanted a Dreadnought and found this place. I neded up gettin a Panerai instead but still like it here nonetheless. I may get a Dreadnougt yet.

1700 is a lot of folks but the thing about this place is the level of activity. If I go away for a few days, whern I get back I will have more to read than I did for University homework. I have to find a way to manage this until I retire, then things will be easy. :-)

Master
    I visit TZ-UK daily with an almost religious conviction, go through the whole forum and read everyone's comments and posts. I do tend to lurk in other watch forums but never post in them.

To my mind TZ-UK is one of the best forums around, certainly top in my list. I really appreciate the fact that, although a watch forum, it has now been expanded to every aspect of life, and keeps growing. No moderation is necessary, unlike in other forums, since the members tend to take care of all the mishaps in a civilised way, a collective moderation so to speak.

I' m proud to be able to say that I can contribute and read on this forum. Thank you Eddie and TZ-UK!

VA

I check this forum daily - in fact I miss it when I can't check! :roll:

I've found it to be an invaluable source of information, and of other opinions. It's great to see such a variety of other watches. It also doesn't hurt that it's such a friendly place, and that the Sales Corner is such a safe bet. (Plus, this place makes me feel better about my 'flipping' habit - I'm an amateur compared to some here!)

john
    That's almost what's happened with the LE Italian, isn't it? I'm guessing it'll be of the same quality as Panerai.... Or do you mean a tad higher than that? :D Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    .... Or do you mean a tad higher than that? :D Interesting....
    I am sure Mr Platts (with all his contacts) will be able to source some interesting movements ... at some point down the road.

You are probably right about The Italian. As I am not into 'cushions', I haven't been paying it much attention. Let's see.

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol

john
    That's almost what's happened with the LE Italian, isn't it? I'm guessing it'll be of the same quality as Panerai.... Or do you mean a tad higher than that? :D Interesting....
    And with the proposed SB 3. :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Only if it comes with white gold hands.

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master

Only if it comes with white gold hands.

john
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

john

:D :twisted:

I usually hate resurrecting old threads, but I had to comment on this. I've lurked around here for much, much longer than my few month registration would indicate, and I've always, always admired the atmosphere of this place. The humor and the casual approach is something that should be appreciated and adapted to all forums.

Some of you know that I moderate in another part of this world wide web, and I should say that I've tried to adapt a similar approach (to the best of my ability). From here, I've learned that less moderation is always better, as it leaves little room for rebuke, and I've seen that a civilized assembly will generally maintain themselves.

Thanks for the lesson, Eddie.

eric

Quote Originally Posted by eptaz
    I usually hate resurrecting old threads, ..................

eric
    We like resurrecting old threads. In fact there are no old threads ... everything is always 'live' and open to comment, or to be added-to whenever we have new information.

It is very interesting what you say tho. My opinion is, that it has nothing to do with the forum, or its members ... and everything to do with the watches Eddie makes or is an agent of. Without the watches, or if the watches he makes or represents are crap, this forum wouldn?t have worked. He has often said it himself that he likes what he is doing and we like watching him do it. The forum is where we hang out while we are waiting for his next surprise.

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master
    It has to do with the forum members, I think.

We can enthuse (right word) about the joy of a member acquiring a Zeno Explorer (or any Broadarrow watch) just as someone acquiring a Breitling, Pannie or Rolex. This is very different from other fora, though I am happy to say that WUS is also quite mindful of those financially less well endowed. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    It has to do with the forum members, I think.

We can enthuse (right word) about the joy of a member acquiring a Zeno Explorer (or any Broadarrow watch) just as someone acquiring a Breitling, Pannie or Rolex. This is very different from other fora, though I am happy to say that WUS is also quite mindful of those financially less well endowed. :)
    Or with different priorites.

Or perhaps not prepared to shell out with the 16inchers!

Persons on this forum seem, I agree, to appreciate the attributes of different watches for what they are and can do.

A good measure of both the functional and symbolic appreciates of watches, and not afraid to have discussions between eachother and these two borad polarities of watch qualities that sometimes match, and in other instances are different.

Sincerely,

Pottinger :)

[Edit: sp.]