closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An observation about this Forum

Blog Entries

An observation about this Forum

I always thought I was the only cleptomaniac who liked gadgets, cars, watches, pens, and sunglasses. Indeed I have copped varying degrees of flak from various people starting with parents, then girlfriends, and for the last 12 years wife. why do you need another pen, pair of sunglasses, watch, etc etc is often fired at me - my response being I don't drink that often and I don't gamble or do hookers (this last comment normally illicits a pretty fiery response). However, it always cheers me up no end coming on here and seeing others with exactly the same afflictions. Long may it continue but I just need to learn to resist more.
    James

I can resist anything, except temptation.

That sums up most of the posters on here I think (including me).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    my response being I don't... do hookers
    Excellent.

My wife is very understanding but the marriage is less than 12 months old, not 12 years old. We'll see if the current level of understanding changes over the next 11 and a half years...

F.T.F.A.

I can't resist gadgets, but I don't resort to stealing them. Kleptomaniac may not be the word you were looking for

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post

My wife is very understanding but the marriage is less than 12 months old, not 12 years old. We'll see if the current level of understanding changes over the next 11 and a half years...
    Trust me.

It will.

Master
    I always thought I was the only cleptomaniac who liked gadgets, cars, watches, pens, and sunglasses. Indeed I have copped varying degrees of flak from various people starting with parents, then girlfriends, and for the last 12 years wife. why do you need another pen, pair of sunglasses, watch, etc etc is often fired at me - my response being I don't drink that often and I don't gamble or do hookers (this last comment normally illicits a pretty fiery response). However, it always cheers me up no end coming on here and seeing others with exactly the same afflictions. Long may it continue but I just need to learn to resist more.
    James
    I'm exactly the same, between watches, sunglasses, shoes, and knives I'm running out of room in the house. I get the same from my wife "why do you need ANOTHER pair of sunglesses, you live in Scotland FFS?"......aparently "'cos they were on offer" isn't really a valid answer!

Blog Entries

I managed to get it down to

boots and watches..............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    I'm exactly the same, between watches, sunglasses, shoes, and knives I'm running out of room in the house. I get the same from my wife "why do you need ANOTHER pair of sunglesses, you live in Scotland FFS?"......aparently "'cos they were on offer" isn't really a valid answer!
    If you moved to the Bahamas you would need more sunglasses AND dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    boots and watches..............

Daddel.
    ....and leather jackets!

I can't even retaliate by asking how much she spends on clothes and shoes as I spend more.
    Last edited by dejjl; 8th October 2012 at 15:11.

Did somebody mention polo shirts?

Craftsman

Smile

cars and watches. you can never have too many of either!

I think that you might well find that there are a number of people around about here who have heard something along the lines of :

"what on earth do what with another heap of old junk pretending to be a motorcycle? You haven't finished/ridden/sold the others yet".

If you think shoulders can be cold over watches; you ain't felt nothing yet!

Quote Originally Posted by halfscrew View Post
    I think that you might well find that there are a number of people around about here who have heard something along the lines of :

"what on earth do what with another heap of old junk pretending to be a motorcycle? You haven't finished/ridden/sold the others yet".

If you think shoulders can be cold over watches; you ain't felt nothing yet!
    What he said. I've given up trying to explain to SWMBO that just one bike cannot provide for all my motorcycling needs.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

How about herself?

Why bother, consider the amount of handbags, shoes and jewellery shé has.

Quote Originally Posted by ticothijs82 View Post
    Why bother, consider the amount of handbags, shoes and jewellery shé has.
    My wife is incredibly sensible with money - I've tried buying her expensive presents in the past, she just says thank you 'but I don't need it' and takes them back. If I spend over £50 on a gift no matter how flush we are at the time she thinks it's a daft extravagance and before I know it the money's back in the bank account!!!
    Makes it very hard to waste money on myself, but when my mates moan about having to buy expensive bags and shoes I just don't get it.
    My wife used to be a fashion buyer, and she knows the Gucci bags/fancy shoes get made In the same factory alongside cheaper brands - I guess when you've worked in that business you know it's all smoke and mirrors.
    The trouble is she can look great and spend next to nothing because she has style, I tend to look like a bloke on his way to Rugby practice whatever I'm wearing ;-)

Problem ?

What problem ?

The only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys.

On a more serious note, I wish though that I'd be able to follow Gary's path (Omegary) - turning away from the consumerist side of this disease.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My wife used to be a fashion buyer, and she knows the Gucci bags/fancy shoes get made In the same factory alongside cheaper brands - I guess when you've worked in that business you know it's all smoke and mirrors.
    In complete contrast to the watch industry.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    "why do you need ANOTHER pair of sunglesses, you live in Scotland FFS?"
    That is a pretty good response to be fair!

To the OP, my only advice is to never consider learning to play guitar. Your GAS problems will spiral out of all control at this point, as they did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    What he said. I've given up trying to explain to SWMBO that just one bike cannot provide for all my motorcycling needs.

R
    At least with bikes you only need 3 - road bike, track bike, off-road bike.

But then again.......

Road Bike:-
    Sports bike
    Tourer
    Naked
    Super moto
    Classic (any number)

Track Bike:-
    Big bike (100cc)
    Middleweight (600cc)
    NC30 (everyone should have one)
    V twin

Off Road Bike:-
    Trials
    Motocross
    Enduro
    Trail
    Classic
    Twin shock

I think I'll stick to watches for now!

Master
    However, it always cheers me up no end coming on here and seeing others with exactly the same afflictions. Long may it continue but I just need to learn to resist more.
    James
    I hear you brother, moving to Canada managed to curb my watch buying, but funds only go elsewhere, boots, leather jackets, V6 family cars and new house

Master
    cars,watches, sunglasses,designer gear,ocd in all these areas.

Craftsman
    Must say I'm slightly different than some here.

I prefer to have one (ok maybe two) exquisite items rather than a handfull of average ones. My missus for example will buy hundreds of cheap pairs of shoes.. I will have only a few, but i'll spend good money on them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I tend to look like a bloke on his way to Rugby practice whatever I'm wearing ;-)
    Unlike me, I tend to look like a bloke on his way home from Rugby practice :-)

Rob

Blog Entries
    Yep, jackets is another one to add - particularly flight jackets (Eastman and such like). My knive addiction scaled back when I left the Army (but I still appreciate a good blade).

Blog Entries
    vee dubs ,watches,Adidas belstaff Maharishi jackets ,trainers
    I have more clothes and shoes than the wife lol

Master
    Cameras, pens - and it used to be bicycles, but now down to three.

Banned
    I can see the appeal of all the above, but I never got the 'pen' thing. (puts on flame suit)

This feels like confession :)

bikes, knives, HiFi, jackets, watches, pens and shoes. story of my life.

Master
    Fully understand all of the above and it used to be new cars every year because of my OCD they had to be new.

My only other hobby is walking (Alfred Wainwright has a lot to answer for) but i have more jackets,boots(of the not so cheap variety) etc.than there are fine days in the year.I do give a lot away to charity but i still have too many.

I can only hope than like all my other hobbies i don't go mad on watches or if i do its only the cheaper ones.I have only two at the moment but have been close to buying two more.

Saying that i am 50 in January and i have started to look at a Rolex GMT...i think i am going slightly mad and need to lie down.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Fully understand all of the above and it used to be new cars every year because of my OCD they had to be new.

My only other hobby is walking (Alfred Wainwright has a lot to answer for) but i have more jackets,boots(of the not so cheap variety) etc.than there are fine days in the year.I do give a lot away to charity but i still have too many.

I can only hope than like all my other hobbies i don't go mad on watches or if i do its only the cheaper ones.I have only two at the moment but have been close to buying two more.

Saying that i am 50 in January and i have started to look at a Rolex GMT...i think i am going slightly mad and need to lie down.
    Leave now. Any kind of OCD you have now will be as nothing compared to what is to come. I thought I was a rational , well-adjusted person, until I joined here!

However as no-one ever listens to the well-intentioned warnings welcome to the forum:

Master
    Another car, gadget, hi-fi nutter here and with a growing interest in 'nice' watches I fear my bank balance and long suffering wife will continue to despair! But, as I always say, it makes me happy and for now at least I can afford it without adversely affecting my nearest and dearest. I don't work for the fun of it, I work to support my family and to be able to buy the things we need (or want) and enjoy.
    Last edited by pstruck; 20th October 2012 at 19:37. Reason: Spelling. D'oh!

Grand Master
    I got a bit carried away with hi-fi systems a few years back, ending up with 4 different ones throughout the house. The watch collection is back up to 20, which I think is quite normal but my missus doesn`t. I've also ended up with lots of polo shirts, all classic-style Fred Perrys.

The collecting gene is innate; you're born with it and I always collected stuff as a kid. If I like something I have an urge to own several variants; if I can`t chose between one or another I end up with both!

Being a true Yorkshireman I`m careful with money, so all the hi-fi stuff was bought at knock-down prices (or second-hand) and all the watches are pre-owned or vintage.

Paul