closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What an interview!

What an interview!

Hi guys

Quick history.

Relocated from Slough to Darlington 4 years ago. Best thing i've ever done, very settled and happy here. Moved up with the GF in 2008, got married in 2009, bought a house and had our first child in 2010, second baby born this Aug. The only downer has been my work. Took the first job i was offered after moving to get some money coming in, a contract job down near Leeds, so a 60 mile each way commute. The thinking was it would do for a few months till something better came along. Due to the credit crunch etc. 4 years later, I'm still there, leaving the house at 6.20am and getting home at 6.10pm. Couple of interviews this last year, getting to the final 2 then missing out on both.

Had another a few weeks ago for a job at a good company juat 8 miles from home, seemed to go well and was invited back for a second. Went in yesterday, sat down with the boss and senior engineer, boss said 'well there's nothing more i need to ask so I'll give you the guided tour' and that was it, 40min tour then a quick chat with the HR lady about working hours and other general guff and i was done. Was told they will be making a decision on Tues, but kind of get the impression it's a done deal. Fingers crossed. It will knock about 11 hours off my working week and if you knock off the huge amount i spend on diesel at the mo, i'll bring home the same if not more. Woop woop.

Please let this be the one.

Brighty

Grand Master
    Sounds good, it's amazing the change of life you can get from a job change, so hopefully this is the one for you!

Excellent, good luck although it sounds it's in the bag.

I do 25k miles per annum and 2 years ago moved 20 miles closer to my frequent travel route so am saving 40 miles/40 mins/day on my travels.

Coolio, you'll be smiling for ages with less commuting to do.

Fingers crossed for you

Good luck for Tuesday keep us posted.

Good luck. I fail to see the point of 4+ interviews. Smacks of an inability to make an informed decision. The fact is you never really know how a new hire will fit in until they've a few months under their belt - and that's what probationary periods are for.

Master
    Good luck, Brighty.

Craftsman
    Best of luck to you, I've switched from 30-60 mile each way commutes to 6 mile commutes and it really does make a massive positive difference. Also, since we're on the subject, I thought I'd share my tale.

Having recently been thrown back into the job market, I've been attending interviews for the first time in years. Had one that seemed to go really well, an hour of practical tests that I completed easily, followed by another hour of panel interview with more technical and scenario based questions. I had a good rapport with the interviewers and got a real impression that I was saying exactly what they wanted to hear and honestly couldn't think how I could have answered better. I never even heard back and was gutted to have to assume I didn't get it, which a call to HR confirmed.

My next was over in 40 mins, again a mix of technical and more standard interview type questions that I mearly felt I'd answered OK. Overall I thought it had gone reasonably well, but wasn't overly confident if I'm honest. A couple of hours later and I got a call from the MD offering me the role. I've been there 2 weeks but it feels like I've been there 2 years such is the way everyone has made me feel welcome. It's 3 miles door to door versus nearly 40 for the other role and I couldn't be happier.

DS

The very best of luck to you Brighty. A cut in the commute of that order is life changing, particularly with young children. When my son was born I was working in London and had a two and a half hour commute each way. Somedays, what with the state of the rail system, I could be sitting in a rail carriage for the equivalent of an office day. I rarely saw my son in the week.

My commute nowadays consists of either a five minute cycle ride to my studio, or a ten-minute drive and battle to find a parking space. Terrible.

Hope you get the job! Good luck!

Good luck with it mate. Hope it all goes well.

Working closer to home makes such a difference.

I commuted from Sheffield to London by train 3 days a week and from Sheffield to Leeds by car on the remaining 2. Some days the traffic on the M1 was so bad that I would have been quicker going in to the office in London. When I sacked it off to start medical school in Sheffield I couldn't believe the amount of money saved on fuel, pasties etc.

My fingers are crossed for you :)

Good move to Darlo - I like it here ! The job sounds a done deal - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Rod

Craftsman
    And another one with fingers crossed, let us know the good news next week.

Good luck with that. But you know the money you save you'll spend here, right

Cheers guys.
    Not counting my chickens yet, but does seem to be in the bag.

Hey Rod, you're an Eaglescliffe boy aren't you? Remember you posting about your takeaways burning down. That's where the job is, up the road from the takeaway shells.

Brighty

Good luck Brighty, got my fingers crossed for you.

I used to commute 135 miles a day so I know just how tiring it can be, especially in the winter months.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    good luck mate. sounds like it would make a huge difference to your life

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Cheers guys.
    Not counting my chickens yet, but does seem to be in the bag.

Hey Rod, you're an Eaglescliffe boy aren't you? Remember you posting about your takeaways burning down. That's where the job is, up the road from the takeaway shells.

Brighty

Used to have a large MOD site in Eaglescliff, a couple of the guys i used to work with came down from there when it closed.

Blog Entries
    Good luck mate....very positive signs

Grand Master
    Message for the OP:.....I`m praying for you, man!

Lengthy journeys to work are a total pain. Waste of time, waste of money, very stressful.....I could go on. When I was working I travelled 20 miles which took around 45-50 mins and that was bad enough.

Working from home is best. Now that I spend my days fixing watches I simply start when I feel like it and finish when I`ve had enough. The only drawback is the tendency to never leave it behind; at least when you travel to work you leave the job when you leave the premises.

The money the OP will save on fuel can be spent on more watches........a win-win situation if ever there was one.

Good luck.

Paul

Master
    Good luck. I'm sure it's a success.

Interview can be funny sometimes. I have been offered a job in the similar fashion, and not got a job after a massive presentation effort (2nd interview) LOL

Craftsman
    Good luck fella, in the same boat myself trying to escape a 65mile commute to Slough, 10 years next year (but I confess on a 14 out of 28 roster). Our mob seem to be implementing the SHL tests before interviews now (for job's you can only apply for with lengthy internal time served qualifications...).

Blog Entries
    I hope all will go well. Keep us posted!

Menno

Looks like you've cracked it, good luck!

Fingers are crossed for you bud. I hope you get the letter or phone call very soon with the "when can you start?" coming sooner rather than later. Sounds like a done deal. Enjoy you new extra time at home ;)

Grrrrrrrr, i hate waiting.
    Doesn't help when the wife rings me every hour to see if i've heard anything yet. Jump out my seat everytime the phone vibrates.
    Company shuts at 4.45 so starting to get the feeling i won't hear anything today now. Booo. Getting paranoid thoughts that maybe the guided tour WAS the 2nd interview and i was being assessed whether i asked enough/the right questions. Hmmmmm
    Come on.

Brighty

Well it's taken a while, but got the result in the end. Got told yesterday it's mine. Just waiting for the contract to come through today before i have the joy of resigning.

In the end i had to wait til the Friday to be told they wanted me back for a 3rd interview to do a technical assesment that i should have done in the 2nd, but they had lost it. Had 3rd interview 2 weeks ago, a 1.5hr written test, and finally found out yesterday morning via text the job is mine, and a phone call last night to confirm salary.

Happy days

Brighty

Banned
    Congratulations, excellent news! Im very pleased for you and thanks for updating us.

Woo hoo! Well done that man

Now the big question is which watch are you going to buy to celebrate?

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Well it's taken a while, but got the result in the end. Got told yesterday it's mine. Just waiting for the contract to come through today before i have the joy of resigning.

In the end i had to wait til the Friday to be told they wanted me back for a 3rd interview to do a technical assesment that i should have done in the 2nd, but they had lost it. Had 3rd interview 2 weeks ago, a 1.5hr written test, and finally found out yesterday morning via text the job is mine, and a phone call last night to confirm salary.

Happy days

Brighty
    Well done! Great news. I used to live in Eaglescliffe but now in Darlo. PM me if you want to meet up for a beer and chat:-)

Rod

Great news! Congratulations :)

I live around 5 minutes away from work - but can work at home a fair amount. My ex used to travel at least 90 mins each way and that would drive me crazy! Good luck in the new role.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Congratulations, Brighty, glad you get there in the end.

Excellent news Brighty - well done! Patrick Phillips all round I think!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Good luck. I fail to see the point of 4+ interviews. Smacks of an inability to make an informed decision. The fact is you never really know how a new hire will fit in until they've a few months under their belt - and that's what probationary periods are for.
    exactly this.

Well done Brighty, good result!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Good luck to you

Journeyman
    Well done little Bro.
    A Fortis to celebrate? B42 with alarm perhaps?

Master
    Very well done that man!

What an interview!

Congratulations.

now you've got the challenge of figuring out what to do with all that extra time in your day!!

I would like to spend the extra time getting back into mountain biking and fishing, neither if which i've had time for in recent years what with work and 2 kids arriving. However i think the wife has other plans for my time.
    One things for sure, my diesel leon is on it's way out and an old volvo c70 T5 convertible will replace it. Fuel economy and reliability are no longer an issue.

Brighty

Welle done mate, enjoy the extra time you have,