closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any members using IE7 yet?

Any members using IE7 yet?

as the title says it all ....anyone dipped a toe?

gadge

Blog Entries
    Yep. Me. No problems at all.

Nope, I use Firefox at home and we're still on IE6 at work.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Not right now ( I am using Firefox 2.0 in Linux) but I have it on another machine. Works fine and the addition of tabbed browsing is useful. It is also included in Vista RC1, which I have on another machine.

Hi

I have had it for a week or som some nice little features like tabs so you do not have to open a zillion windows.

Upgrade went ok, no data (bookmarks) lost or anything strange...

Thanks
    deano

Quote Originally Posted by quoll
    Not right now ( I am using Firefox 2.0 in Linux) but I have it on another machine. Works fine and the addition of tabbed browsing is useful. It is also included in Vista RC1, which I have on another machine.
    How is Firefox 2.0? I'm still on 1.5 and haven't gone for the upgrade yet (tried it on an old laptop and discovered that it kept losing my log-in here for some reason).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Yes - gone back to IE6 as 7 breaks some web based systems at work :(

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Yes - gone back to IE6 as 7 breaks some web based systems at work :(

Cheers,
    Cheers. I better stick to 6 for a while longer then. :roll:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

As from yesterday - it swallowed up all my forum passwords but luckily my PC remembered them. The interface takes getting used to.

Journeyman

Re: Any members using IE7 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget
    as the title says it all ....anyone dipped a toe?

gadge
    Using at home and work with no problems :)

Master
    Downloaded and installed it, but didn't really like it so carried on using Firefox.

VA

Master
    We got a new computer and it came with IE 7 which SWMBO uses. No complaints yet, fingers crossed.

I prefer FireFox like many of y'all. Anything to get away from Gates' empire. I just installed OpenOffice which is really good, reminds me of ClarisWorks on my Mac. Hopefully Gates will come down to earth and stop trying to assimilate everyone on the planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    How is Firefox 2.0? I'm still on 1.5 and haven't gone for the upgrade yet (tried it on an old laptop and discovered that it kept losing my log-in here for some reason).
    Firstly, it is not a huge leap forward, so if you have concerns, don't bother. That said, the upgrade works smoothly with no data, password or bookmark losses. The interface is a little cleaner and it has new features like built in anti-phishing and in-line spell checking. You will lose some older add-on, but the ones I use - Adblock, Forecast, Tabbed Browser Preferences - all update OK.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    We got a new computer and it came with IE 7 which SWMBO uses. No complaints yet, fingers crossed.

I prefer FireFox like many of y'all. Anything to get away from Gates' empire. I just installed OpenOffice which is really good, reminds me of ClarisWorks on my Mac. Hopefully Gates will come down to earth and stop trying to assimilate everyone on the planet!

Have you checked out Google Docs & Spreadsheet? That should really have Sir Bill worried!

Master
    Have you checked out Google Docs & Spreadsheet? That should really have Sir Bill worried!
    Cool!! :D :D :D

Gotta chuckle at all the bruhaha back there in the Windows world at tabbed browsing. That's been a standard feature Safari for, what, five years?

Grand Master
    Using 7 as I speak. Still faster by almost an order of magnitude than Firefox on my slow modem, in the office and for banking I don't have a choice anyway.

So far everything is working fine, incl. favorites and passwords and cookies.

Only thing I haven't found out yet is how to export my favorites. :(

Any tips?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Firefox 2.0 for me - never use IE unless I have to. Tried IE7 at work and it destroyed my LAN connection so rolled back.

Thomas Reid
    I have Firefox 1.0 on my office server, and 1.5 at home. If you want fast, and I mean so fast that it is difficult to measure, use lynx (text only). ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

I use Firefox. Several peope at work have started to use IE7 and are amazed at the search features (oooh look, you can choose which search engine to use!!) and the tabbed browsing. I slowly explain to them exactly where these features were stolen from and exactly how long I've been using them for. Why are people so unadventurous in the software they use for their major applications?

Thomas Reid
    The feature I like most about Firefox is that I configure it to use the fonts I want to use, the font size I want, and the colors I want (for links, etc). I'm waiting for the day when I can have a local style sheet that overrides the remote style sheet. (For all I know, you've been able to these things forever with IE.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    I use Firefox as well, both on Windows and OS X

Grand Master
    Found out how to export/import favorites (it is in "add favorite"). :)

Frankly, no one down the road gives a damn who invented what first ... do the IE-detractors really think that people owning a Smith&Wesson revolver fondly remember Samuel Colt, or rifle owners remember that Winchester brought repeating arms to the market? When you wear jeans, do you always remember that it was Levi Strauss who invented them?

The fact that Safari, Firefox and the like had tabbed browsing is stuff for IT trivia, it has little relevance for the usability of IE7. In the end, it is performance and the suscepatbility to viruses etc. that counts, not who had the industry standard first.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Found out how to export/import favorites (it is in "add favorite"). :)

Frankly, no one down the road gives a damn who invented what first ... do the IE-detractors really think that people owning a Smith&Wesson revolver fondly remember Samuel Colt, or rifle owners remember that Winchester brought repeating arms to the market? When you wear jeans, do you always remember that it was Levi Strauss who invented them?

The fact that Safari, Firefox and the like had tabbed browsing is stuff for IT trivia, it has little relevance for the usability of IE7. In the end, it is performance and the suscepatbility to viruses etc. that counts, not who had the industry standard first.
    Strauss, yes. Winchester repeating rifle, yes. Colt revolver, yes. (I was brought up on Westerns.)

In any case, I think you are wrong about the IT world. If the open source folks invent something, then eventually it winds up on all platforms, and everyone can benefit. If MS invents things (or more likely licenses something, reproduces it, then drives the inventor out of the market) they make a good effort to restrict it to one platform.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    If the open source folks invent something, then eventually it winds up on all platforms, and everyone can benefit. If MS invents things (or more likely licenses something, reproduces it, then drives the inventor out of the market) they make a good effort to restrict it to one platform.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Very well said Bob. Sad but true :evil:

I use Firefox 2.0 at work on WinXP and 1.something at home on Linux. Both work well and without problems. I like the look and the tabs function which was why I started using them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    If the open source folks invent something, then eventually it winds up on all platforms, and everyone can benefit. If MS invents things (or more likely licenses something, reproduces it, then drives the inventor out of the market) they make a good effort to restrict it to one platform.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Sounds familiar, check this regarding the MS-Firefox.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/14/ms_firefox/

VA

Journeyman
    For "IT Trivia" buffs :D :

Tabbed-browsing was first introduced (to the "Windows world" :P) in the late 90's by a browser called NetCaptor. It was later developed and introduced to browsers from Multizilla, Netscape, Mozilla and Opera long before Safari ever existed.

By the way, with Windows / Internet Explorer, a quick way to import or export favourites is to copy and paste from them from the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Favorites

I've been using IE7 for a while now and am quite impressed by it. However, the browser that's currently the least vulnerable to various types of attack would appear to be Opera:

http://www.h-spot.net/rlt/browser_comparison.htm
    (A big page, you'll have to scroll up/down and left/right or use a Zoom function if you have one :wink:)

Opera (which uses the "Presto" engine) is also the best at rendering the Acid2 Test which tests for web standards compliance. IE7 is a little improved over IE6 in this respect, but is not great:

Overall though, I give IE7 a thumbs-up. I like it :)

Apprentice
    I happily use Camino, 'cause when it comes to browsers - less is more! :D