closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeans

Jeans

I have realised that all of my jeans are either oily, white at the knees or ripped at the bottom.

What should I be buying for circa £100 thesedays?

Cheers

Greg

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    4 pairs of sensibly priced jeans

How old are you?

I like Seven for fit and comfort. The denim is soft and a bit stretchy so if you buy slightly snug for you, they mould to your shape really nicely. Last time I bought some (3 years ago) was in New York so they would have been cheaper anyway. I think they are a little bit more over here..maybe nearer 150.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Levi's 501.

If you're not far from Bicester go and have a look at True Religion. They do a load of teenage rubbish but some more restrained styles in normal proportions and very good denim for £100 or so. Usually a fair bit more in the shops. I'm also a fan of Levi's 506.
    "A man of little significance"

Nudie are the best imho.

Master
    The last few pair i have had have been Timberland, the fit is good and the denim is good too.

You could get three pairs of Uniqlo regular fit straight leg jeans for £100. Which is what I would do.

Overalls...

Master
    Before this degenerates into some handbag swinging....a vote for Diesel Jeans from me!!
    Ignore all the ripped, trendy young-persons versions and go for the plain styles. Easy to spot on the wesite and lots of places stock them.

This may also be worth a look....
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?228590

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    How old are you?

I like Seven for fit and comfort. The denim is soft and a bit stretchy so if you buy slightly snug for you, they mould to your shape really nicely. Last time I bought some (3 years ago) was in New York so they would have been cheaper anyway. I think they are a little bit more over here..maybe nearer 150.

True Religion is another brand I stocked up on when in New York..much dearer than even Seven. I liked their fit originally but now I've lost some weight, they don't fit as nicely. Perhaps just a smaller size would look better although my current ones are fine on the waist..just a bit too loose in other areas for my liking.

Don't pay absurd prices (250 quid upwards) here if at all possible. They're about 30, 40% cheaper over there.

Albam, and at £85 you'll have some cash over too.

http://www.oipolloi.com/shop/brand/albam

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    True Religion is another brand I stocked up on when in New York..much dearer than even Seven. I liked their fit originally but now I've lost some weight, they don't fit as nicely. Perhaps just a smaller size would look better although my current ones are fine on the waist..just a bit too loose in other areas for my liking.

Don't pay absurd prices (250 quid upwards) here if at all possible. They're about 30, 40% cheaper over there.

Perhaps they are designed for the better endowed gentlemen?

Maybe I'm turning into an old codger but I'm not bothered about the brand name and more concerned with how they fit, I therefore get made to measure jeans which are worth considering if fit, customisation and denim choice are more important than the name on the label. I can understand you younger chaps like brands and hence Nudie / Seven / Derv etc (in my day it was Levi's 501) but £250 quid for an off the peg pair of jeans seems an awful lot of money Scarto!

I've always found Diesel or Levi's to fit me best and have lasted well... But as has previously been said, I tend to avoid the ripped / excessivly fashionable styles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    4 pairs of sensibly priced jeans
    Why would anyone need more than one pair? You'll be suggesting they're washed more than once a month next

Grand Master
    Just bought a pair from next for 20 quid, they fit well and look decent.

Journeyman
    well i am another old codger and would agree with 4 pairs of sensibly priced jeans.

its amazing that what was work wear has such a high price. I bet all those 100 plus ones cost about a fiver to produce.

best of luck
    john

Master
    Replay & Calvin Klein seem to fit me best.... although probably my current best fitting are a plain pair of Crosshatch Series 55's (and surprisingly well put together).

My mate had a pair of Pepe reversible jeans which I thought were cool but it seems they no longer make them :-(.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Perhaps they are designed for the better endowed gentlemen?
    Perhaps.

I actually meant a bit loose around the seat but it's clear where your insecurities lie.

Paul Smith or Diesel for £100 or so

Only one for me - Diesel.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Can you still buy a paid of Lee Cooper for 12/6d?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Diesel if you're under 40.

Try a few pairs on. I found that these days the so-called "designer" jeans tend to be a bit on the tight side twixt waist and gusset.

Then go and buy some from Marks and Spencer.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

Levi 501,original and best.

Edwin Nashville for me.....best price I've found is at Interstate in Covent Garden.

Master
    Gap, can't be doing with all that poncy stitching all over the back pockets!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Shit,I can't wear my Diesel jeans anymore then!

Cheers for the advice chaps, i've never heard of some of these frighteningly expensive brands and I'm only 31. Well out of touch.

I was thinking Boss or Armani, just goes to show what I know!?

Levi 504's if I am feeling flush otherwise GAP for the value. Did actually look at the uniglo ones not long ago and they seemed good quality and cheap just didn't like the cut. Was impressed that they did incremental sizes by the inch as opposed to every other inch as opposed to other brands in most places I seem to go.

Wrangler anyone?

Boden. As much as one might decently pay for denim trousers. Otherwise, Mole Valley Farmers or Tesco.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Boden. As much as one might decently pay for denim trousers. Otherwise, Mole Valley Farmers or Tesco.
    PMSL - obviously with elastic waist.........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Years or inches?

I buy Mascot with padded knees- fat boy on a Fat Boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Albam, and at £85 you'll have some cash over too.

http://www.oipolloi.com/shop/brand/albam
    Second this, the denim quality is great and the cuts are excellent and the raw denim will just fade and get better with age.
    Apc are good quality and a good cut too. Worn mine nearly solidly for the past year and a half but ready for replacing now!

Well I have bought Levis and some of the more expensive brands but now I buy M&S Blue Harbour at £19.95 a pair and they are great. The Indigo colour looks excellent with a dark jacket and brogues.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Blue-...elated-items-3

Rod

Craftsman
    Edwin and dont wash them for at least the first two years

About two years ago I bought 3 pairs of jeans on the same day.

A pair of 7 (for all mankind), a pair of Levis and a pair of Ralf Laurens. I got them all a Bicester Village.

The 7s lasted about 4 months (on rotation) the Levis about 14 months and the RLs are still perfect 2 years on. The 7s wore away at the ankle and the crotch, while the Levis just wore at the crotch. I agree with Scarto that the 7s are comfortable and stretchy, but they wore too fast for my liking.

However, the zip of the RLs requires constant attention as it falls far too easily.

So, in summary, the only fabric that was decent was the Ralf Lauren, but the zip was too poor to recommend them.

I've just bought a pair of Gant jeans (must be middle age approaching) - I'll report back in 6 months...

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    The 7s wore away at the ankle and the crotch, while the Levis just wore at the crotch.
    Have you tried washing your bollocks more often?
    "A man of little significance"

Levi's 506 from a Levi's store. It's very easy to find a pair that fit perfectly, as the sizing in both waist and length go up in 1" increments.
    They also have a tailor in some stores...

Craftsman
    Find a brand / style of jeans that fit YOU well and buy them forever!

I can recommend you Hugo Boss jeans which are within your budget, but while they fit me well - they might hang off you etc.

I like APCs - nice, simple selvedge, raw jean with a great cut, though figuring out your size is a pain as they are vanity sized + they will stretch with wear so you want them quite tight to start with.
    Then you don't really want to hem them until you wash them, and you don't really want to wash them for a good 6 months so they wear and fade nice.
    Then ideally you want to handwash them - so all in all, quite a faff, but worth it if you can be bothered.
    I normally wear a 36in waist trouser, about a 34in waist in Diesel jeans.
    In APC New Standard I'm a 33 or 34 and in Rescue I'm a 32.
    Would like to try Albam but they never seem to have my size when I'm in London and have popped into the shop to try on.

:D
    Old people discussing jeans! This thread is funny. Please carry on.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Only one for me - Diesel.
    Likewise and Levi 506. Only ones that fit!

Craftsman
    If you are not too young ie. underpants not showing , then go to ebay buy used from the states . Wrangler Rodeo pro 13 MWZ jeans ,made in the US , with post included less than £15. Used , because they are incredibly tough so worn breaks them in and gives them character.

Yeah they are high waisted but so comfortable .

Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    I have realised that all of my jeans are either oily, white at the knees or ripped at the bottom.

What should I be buying for circa £100 thesedays?

Cheers

Greg
    You could buy 10 pairs from Primarny with £100.

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    Years or inches?
    Both, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    I like APCs - nice, simple selvedge, raw jean with a great cut, though figuring out your size is a pain as they are vanity sized + they will stretch with wear so you want them quite tight to start with.
    Then you don't really want to hem them until you wash them, and you don't really want to wash them for a good 6 months so they wear and fade nice.
    Then ideally you want to handwash them - so all in all, quite a faff, but worth it if you can be bothered.
    I normally wear a 36in waist trouser, about a 34in waist in Diesel jeans.
    In APC New Standard I'm a 33 or 34 and in Rescue I'm a 32.
    Would like to try Albam but they never seem to have my size when I'm in London and have popped into the shop to try on.
    Listen to this man he is dead right APC New standard are the bench mark for selvedge

If your lucky you could find some samurai or sugar cane jeans for a decent online retailer try oipolloi