Blog Entries

First class recorded nightmare

First class recorded ,Does anyone think some postmen just post them
    Without getting a signature.or are so friendly with person they don't
    Bother getting the signature.
    I am having a bit of a nightmare with some
    eBay punter who says he ain't received his item,
    I have checked the tracking and it just says working its way through
    The system but I posted it over two weeks ago.
    My believe is I think he has received it somehow without the signature
    So the system will never update the delivery status.
    Just wanted people's thoughts on the matter,or has someone had a
    Similar experience,he will get his money back has he has opened
    The dispute on eBay,and the buyer will win as the tracking says it has not been delivered.
    Last edited by sg1; 7th November 2012 at 23:25.

postage

If a postie has just pushed it through the door, surely he will scan it in as delivered in that case?

Tim

I would go round to your local delivery office in the morning at 7am be the first there and ask to see the delivery manager for your postcode area and take it up with him/her.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Fcr

Is there anyway they can know what's happened
    To it?

We have an understanding with our Postie, who signs things for us and posts them through.
    Saves us a 20 mile round trip to the sorting office
    If there is a RMSD and we aren't in, either next door takes it, or it is left at the village shop.
    Standard practice out here in the sticks!

Master
    Surely if their system shows it as not having been delivered, they won't have any reason to refute your claim against them for losing it?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Standard practice out here in the sticks!
    Same here, but hardly feasible if you live in a multi-occupancy building in a city

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post
    Surely if their system shows it as not having been delivered, they won't have any reason to refute your claim against them for losing it?
    This.

In my experience, a postie would only post the item through the letterbox if he were to sign for the item himself, most likely in the house owner's name. As noted in the posts above, it happens a lot, particularly in rural areas.

I don't use Recorded Delivery,From experience its not that great a service as mentioned here and the tracking takes an age to update if at all. Special Delivery has never let me down.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

For

The only reason I am asking ls that it has
    Happened to me before about a year ago.
    Just wanted people's thoughts.

Master
    If the delivery status never updates, the inference is the package has been lost in which case you can claim once the required number of days have passed.

If you want piece of mind, the rule of thumb is to use RMSD.

Craftsman
    From memory, once is gone past 15 working days undelivered you can lodge a dispute with RM.

Recorded delivery isnt guaranteed, its just proof of posting and a signature on receipt. Is Recorded insured? I know Special is - if they've lost it you can file a dispute with them to get your £ back to then refund the eBay buyer.

What mab said ^^

Recorded is covered up to ten times the value of a 1st class stamp iirc . Unless of course theyve capped it at £41 before the price of stamps went up in april .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
    Just wanted people's thoughts on the matter,or has someone had a
    Similar experience,he will get his money back has he has opened
    The dispute on eBay,and the buyer will win as the tracking says it has not been delivered.
    Well, on the up side you'll be successful in your claim against Royal Mail for the lost item!

I've seen Recorded items take a long time to get delivered. I don't know why this is. According to how I understand the system to work, it should not be the case.

Occasionally in my experience Recorded items are delivered (when I am the recipient) but the postie simply forgets to get them signed off. Thus they never show as delivered on the system. But, if and when this happens, it does mean that you can enter a claim for the lost item up to the value of £60.

**edit**
    Struck out £60 above as it is incorrect; it should be £46. See http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2497591.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 8th November 2012 at 04:08. Reason: Corrected

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Fcr

Cheers for your comments

Master
    I had an issue similar to this with some bike parts I had posted out. Despite been a 'sign for' parcel, the postie had taken it upon himself to leave the part behind the wheelie bin and sign for it himself!

Nobody found it until the next time the wheelie bin went out and 'bingo' there was the parcel. That was hugely annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Well, on the up side you'll be successful in your claim against Royal Mail for the lost item!

I've seen Recorded items take a long time to get delivered. I don't know why this is. According to how I understand the system to work, it should not be the case.

Occasionally in my experience Recorded items are delivered (when I am the recipient) but the postie simply forgets to get them signed off. Thus they never show as delivered on the system. But, if and when this happens, it does mean that you can enter a claim for the lost item up to the value of £60.
    I'm pretty sure when they put the price of a stamp up to 60p they kept the compo at £46 rather than the 100x1st class stamp it used to be, on the upside I've claimed about 3 or 4 times over the past 5 years and they have always paid without a fuss, a cheque within 14 days in my experience,

wook

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I'm pretty sure when they put the price of a stamp up to 60p they kept the compo at £46 rather than the 100x1st class stamp it used to be
    Good grief, you're quite right. Thank you.

Bastards! Another increase in price and reduction in service.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 8th November 2012 at 04:08.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Good grief, you're quite right. Thank you.

Bastards! Another increase in price and reduction in service.
    I know, it really p*ssed me off too, I thought that it had to have gone up in line with stamp prices, I suspect they are trying to push as many people on to SD as possible for the extra £££ but it may just be as simple as you said Mark, that they are Bastards ,
    wook

trouble with recorded is, no one knows it's in the system until the postie gets a hold of it and then he/she has to remember to not post it before getting a signature, that is where the trouble comes in, as if he/she "forgets" or doesn't notice the sticker it gets posted, some by mistake some to save time.

Just yesterday I had a watch delivered via SD and a registered signed for package for my daughter, I had to sign for the watch but the postie forgot all about the other in amongst all the other letters. Today I had a book delivered from Amazon and a signed for registered parcel for my son, again the postie didn't ask me to sign anything so it does happen.