closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EGR valves- what a pain.

EGR valves- what a pain.

So now my CRV has broken down again! 80K and was goinf fine. However it got jammed open on Friday night. The AA guy came along, got out hammer no less, and clouted it!
    It did fix it for a whole mile, then the engine management light comes on and I go very slow to the garage.

Now, I had an old 2.8 shogun, I blanked off the EGR to stop it smoking like the flying scotsman.Worked a treat.

Im not sure if that possible with a crv as the management light would stay on etc. Im told it will cost me £300 quid and wont be arriving till next wednesday as it has to come from belgium of all places.

The AA guy said new cars dont have them as they cause so much trouble!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a HEV for cars. ;-)

No, I don't know what a EGR is....

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Ditch the EGR, run a straight thru without a CAT & add a cherry bomb to mute the boom!
    Regards M

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I have no idea if its true or BS, but the honda guys say that yes they can clean it up, but it will do the same thing again after a short while.(NO idea why) So, a second hand one, hmnnn. Thanks for lookin it up though!

Remove it, de-coke & clean and re-install before you think about buying a new one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Take the egr off.

Mine went on my vx220 while in france in the summer, car was hunting for an idle and was a pig to drive. Luckily I had a Bluetooth obd2 reader in the car to do track telemetry so I knew it was the egr.

Limped it home and ordered a cheater kit.

You should be able to get a blanking plate for the valve, and if you look online for cheaters there are people who sell them. Basically a resistor which plugs into the car and returns a value which shuts up the obd2 and keeps the eml light from coming on. Was a 10 minute job...

Here's the egr on mine.

And removed with plate and gasket fitted, and the plug.

And finally the cheater which fits in to the plug.
    Last edited by pete-r; 10th November 2012 at 00:35.

I've got a CR-V too so interested in this.

What's the implications of by-passing the EGR as suggested above? Does fuel economy suffer? Are emissions less clean - if so is more likely to fail MOT?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It would technically reduce mpg and increase emissions, but your talking very very little as it works more at lower revs so at idle is when it's at it's most influential. But as I say, your talking hardly anything noticeable and I've had an mot since fitting it with no issues whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    It would technically reduce mpg and increase emissions, but your talking very very little as it works more at lower revs so at idle is when it's at it's most influential. But as I say, your talking hardly anything noticeable and I've had an mot since fitting it with no issues whatsoever.
    Thanks for info.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No probs, I want max power from my motor so it gives the added bonus of running with the most oomph too ;)

Master
    Ok ...I will admit my opinion will be aimed towards replacing the part, but then i work in aftermarket part supply to the motor trade....

for what its worth though..

The EGR valve, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, is a vacuum controlled valve which allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust mixes with the intake air and actually cools the combustion process. Cooler is always better inside your engine. The exhaust your EGR valve recirculates also prevents the formation of Nitrogen related gases. These are referred to as NOX emissions, and are a common cause for failing emissions testing. Unfortunately, your EGR valve can get stuck, causing NOX gases to build up. You'll know if your EGR valve is stuck or malfunctioning because your car will experience symptoms like rough idle and bucking on accelertaion.

Or use pete-r's chip....LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by techireland2000 View Post
    Ok ...I will admit my opinion will be aimed towards replacing the part, but then i work in aftermarket part supply to the motor trade....

for what its worth though..

The EGR valve, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, is a vacuum controlled valve which allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust mixes with the intake air and actually cools the combustion process. Cooler is always better inside your engine. The exhaust your EGR valve recirculates also prevents the formation of Nitrogen related gases. These are referred to as NOX emissions, and are a common cause for failing emissions testing. Unfortunately, your EGR valve can get stuck, causing NOX gases to build up. You'll know if your EGR valve is stuck or malfunctioning because your car will experience symptoms like rough idle and bucking on accelertaion.

Or use pete-r's chip....LOL...
    I don't see how hot exhaust gasses fed into the intake manifold (which is fed by cool filtered air) can cool the combustion process? I suppose it could make it a less effiecient combustion process which could possibly make it cooler. To be honest I think EGR valves are more trouble than they're worth and provide the driver with little, if any, benefit. I wouldn't hesitate to use a cheater kit next time mine goes tits up. It's already been replaced once after 19,000 miles at a cost of £350. I think they are of more benefit to the parts industry and garage labour charges than they are to the average motorist.

Blog Entries
    Might pay to consider the insurance aspect!

As we all know, insurers are just 'wrigglers' whose first thought is how they can avoid paying out on even entirely legitimate claims and this might, just might, be considered an 'unreported performance enhancing modification' so "Thanks for your call, we are not paying out and by the way, your premium is going to go up as your risk matrix has changed"!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I don't see how hot exhaust gasses fed into the intake manifold (which is fed by cool filtered air) can cool the combustion process? I suppose it could make it a less effiecient combustion process which could possibly make it cooler. To be honest I think EGR valves are more trouble than they're worth and provide the driver with little, if any, benefit. I wouldn't hesitate to use a cheater kit next time mine goes tits up. It's already been replaced once after 19,000 miles at a cost of £350. I think they are of more benefit to the parts industry and garage labour charges than they are to the average motorist.

Less oxygen in the mix will reduce combustion temp, EGR do seem to be nothing but a pain for a lot of diesels, they only offer the benefit of reduced NOx production, so cars with one will meet the EU emissions standards easier, and nowadays, they have to do a lot to meet the standards, whilst also trying to increase MPG and so on, which are the real points that sell cars.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post

As we all know, insurers are just 'wrigglers' whose first thought is how they can avoid paying out on even entirely legitimate claims and this might, just might, be considered an 'unreported performance enhancing modification' so "Thanks for your call, we are not paying out and by the way, your premium is going to go up as your risk matrix has changed"!
    That is very true, any excuse to keep up their profits at your expense, and should be considered.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good point on insurance, my car is insured as a fun/track car so all the mods are declared though they didn't care about this as it doesn't change the bhp significantly.

That said I wouldn't really call it a modification, it's like fitting V spark plugs or update brake pads,so I would be surprised (though not shocked) if an insurance company really looked for one being there during. Post crash inspection. Most assessors wouldn't even know what they were looking at...
    Last edited by pete-r; 10th November 2012 at 11:12.

Blog Entries
    EGR valves are nothing more than an escape route for the manufacturers to comply with environmental laws. It's a box of tricks and when the trick fails (after the warrenty has expired), the customer can pick up the bill. Remember, these engines are designed before the EU governments came up with the rules. My Saab 9-3 (120K mls) has its third EGR valve installed now. The first one failed (luckily) under warrenty and all others have a two year warrenty (EU rules on customer protection!) - so I limp from faillure to faillure without additional costs. But, I'm one of the lucky ones. (The Saab has a GM engine, like Vauxhalls, Opels and Alfa Romeo)

You can extend the live of the valve by using a diesel additive from time to time originally intended to clean the injectores. Certain fuel brands (Shell Ultima, BP) have a good reputation when it comes to cleaning the internals of the engine.
    Finally, ask your workshop to perform a soot cleaning run when your car is in for a service. With the service computer connected to the car, it will perform a 6 - 10 min. run heating the exhaust up until it reaches 600 C.! Do not stand near your car - you'll expect it to start burning. The smell is aweful.
    Sadly, there's an end to the EGR's live and you will have to replace it or have thoroughly cleaned.

The blanking off is good answer addressing a problem the manufacturers never handled properly. On the Dutch Saab forum site, most members have theirs blanked off.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post

Most insurance assessors wouldn't even lift the bonnet!

I wonder if you could fit the blanking plate between the engine and the egr?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Needs longer bolts then but I suppose you could add rather than replace?

I (well actually my work) got majorly stung on an EGR issue on a 2005 Kangoo van. Worked flawlessly up until 2 years ago, then it started to develop the same problem as Pete-r's Vauxhall. First the original valve was removed, cleaned and refitted. Worked fine for a fortnight. Then it was replaced, again worked fine for a week. Eventually we went for the by-pass because it was costing a fortune. Occasionally the same problem reoccurs, but clears quickly. It makes me think it was a sensor issue all along. Quite frankly I wished we dumped the bloody thing when the problem first occurred.

I think the original part from Renault was £300 (it certainly didn't look like a £300 part...) but the mechanic sourced an OEM version by Valeo who are the company that makes the parts for Renault and it saved about 50%. Still, in total I think we forked out about £2k to "fix" the problem. Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    EGR valves are nothing more than an escape route for the manufacturers to comply with environmental laws. It's a box of tricks and when the trick fails (after the warrenty has expired), the customer can pick up the bill. Remember, these engines are designed before the EU governments came up with the rules. My Saab 9-3 (120K mls) has its third EGR valve installed now. The first one failed (luckily) under warrenty and all others have a two year warrenty (EU rules on customer protection!) - so I limp from faillure to faillure without additional costs. But, I'm one of the lucky ones. (The Saab has a GM engine, like Vauxhalls, Opels and Alfa Romeo)

You can extend the live of the valve by using a diesel additive from time to time originally intended to clean the injectores. Certain fuel brands (Shell Ultima, BP) have a good reputation when it comes to cleaning the internals of the engine.
    Finally, ask your workshop to perform a soot cleaning run when your car is in for a service. With the service computer connected to the car, it will perform a 6 - 10 min. run heating the exhaust up until it reaches 600 C.! Do not stand near your car - you'll expect it to start burning. The smell is aweful.
    Sadly, there's an end to the EGR's live and you will have to replace it or have thoroughly cleaned.

The blanking off is good answer addressing a problem the manufacturers never handled properly. On the Dutch Saab forum site, most members have theirs blanked off.

Menno
    I do use shell optimum or whatever its called, and put in a bottle of redex diesel cleaner in the same week it happened. Dont know if that had any effect on the crappy egr.

I saw this today also, no idea what it does to the egr, but I assume it is defiantely a 'mod' for insurance purposes.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Acco...p2047675.l2557
    Last edited by sestrel; 10th November 2012 at 15:54.

Garage said they would fit a blanking plate if I could get one; I havent had any luck finding one OR the cheater resistor.

Anyone know where to find them? (no luck on fleabay)

Can't help with where to find them - although I would have thought almost anyone with a vice could make the blanking plate - I do think you will need the cheater kit as I believe the emissions light being lit is now an MOTfailure point.

Yes, Im changing my mind on the whole idea, Im under the impression that it would require a proper re-map to make it truly viable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Can't help with where to find them - although I would have thought almost anyone with a vice could make the blanking plate - I do think you will need the cheater kit as I believe the emissions light being lit is now an MOTfailure point.
    nope, it gets a warning and advisory but not a fail as one light can mean many things and if the emissions tests is passed, you're in the clear. But if it is on all the time it will bug the hell out of you. for a while, until you forget about it and someone points it out. Then it gts annoying again.

Got one car (tip run car) where it's been on for the last 6 years, aftermarket cat has incorrect lambda connection, emissions as coean as it can get though...

Master
    Blog Entries
    It definitely won't need a remap, it'll be fine. I got mine from a VX220 forum. Might be worth trying something like that?