closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPad Mini............

Craftsman

iPad Mini............

Has anyone got one? Are they worth the hype?

Looking to purchase maybe for daughter for browsing etc. iPad Mini or iPad?

Not yet waiting for 3G version to come out
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Depends on what you want really - for me, I dont own one but did have a play the other day and the size is just perfect for my needs. About the size of a book, and extremely portable, doing pretty much what the ipad can do.

Master
    I've got one, and the size is the best thing about it. I'd forgotten what a lump the Mk1 iPad was!

I think the screen is fine, it may not be Retina, but it's the same resolution as the iPad 1 and 2 in a smaller package, so I find it good.

I have fitted a Smart Cover, and it makes it a very light and portable device, which is what I wanted. I'm also finding the increase in speed compared to the original iPad very welcome.

I didn't want the 3G version, as I always have my iPhone nearby anyway and just use the personal hotspot feature on the phone to browse away from wifi.

I saw one at BHX the other week and was similarly impressed. I've always avoided them in the past having an ultra book as one stop solution, but I confess to playing with a company ipad 2 over the past couple of weeks... and found it pretty handy for watching TVcatchup around the house (esp the bathroom!), browsing and playing games. My 3 year old loves it too!

I too am seriously impressed with the mini as a "travel buddy", am not worried about the 3G (there is always wifi nearby these days, and I have a phone that can act as a wifi hotpot using 3G...), and can see an Xmas pressie coming to myself!

The screen resolution seems to be the biggest (and only?) complaint, but I really don't see that much difference, so perhaps I should invest in the mini and some glasses!?

Grand Master
    To those with the iphone (ideally the iphone 5) what does the ipad mini bring, I would like one but am concerned it might just be a big iphone !
    RIAC

I have an Ipad One and bought the mini as a portable companion. I'm lazy and I like it - all my existing apps and stuff synced easily and smoothly, and it's light and small enough to hold with one hand. I'm not sure I'd like to be doing anything serious on it, but I feel like that about most tablets.

iPad Mini............

The mini is a good portable device but if you're predominately going to using it at home then i would personally go for the iPad.

Plus if you go from a retina screen to the mini the screen quality is quite noticeable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    To those with the iphone (ideally the iphone 5) what does the ipad mini bring, I would like one but am concerned it might just be a big iphone !
    Surfing and email on the phone works, but I find it does become tiresome after a while. The extra screen 'real estate' makes it a much more pleasurable experience. I read most of my monthly magazines electronically now too, something difficult on a phone, and for displaying pictures and basic photo editing, the iPad Mini is great too.

Face time on the Mini seems to be better than on a phone as well, but then it's probably just as good on the iPad 2 and 3.

I first got an iPad so that I could show potential wedding clients my portfolio without lugging a laptop or albums about. The Mini does this just as well, and a bride to be who was handling it the other evening (no sniggering at the back!) said she was going to go out and buy one, and hadn't seen the point until she'd seen and handled one.

It's not the Messiah (sorry, saw a clip on film2012 last night!), it's just a less clunky and more portable iPad in my view. I never thought I'd say the iPad was too big, but it just might be for me.

Devils Advocate . . . what will the Mini iPad 2 bring to the table?

I love my iPad 3, and will get a Mini in the future sometime.

I've got the Iphone 4s and find the ipad noticeably nicer and easier to use for webbrowsing, games and watching tv etc. Basically everything I use it for. As a work machine though, I've not set up my mail on it, so can't comment on that side of things...

I've got an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini. I've had all the iterations of the iPad previously.

The mini is excellent and the size is far better for my needs. It still feels a tad too big (certainly prefer the size of the google nexus) but it just feels so light. I bought a very thin gel case for it and feel less nervous about scratching it now.

It seems a little slower at times but not a problem. And it's brilliant for watching movies and TV.

I've not held an iPad since getting the mini but expect it will feel like a brick in comparison. It's still over priced in my opinion but ice hardly put it down.

I agree with the poster above who said someone "couldn't see the point until they held one" - I couldn't either but handled one at the Apple Store on Saturday, a really nicely made device, excellent size, and super light; lovely to use.

I would want 3G/4G coverage so will wait for that, but would also want to check the Nexus for comparison.

My only reservation would be to see how it handled forum type browsing - I wondered if the smaller screen would make the "hitting the wrong button" problem even worse? Resolution can go up but my fingers aren't getting any smaller ... ;)

Master
    I own the iphone and the Ipad 3...don't see the point in the mini. Ipad to me is just the right size for browsing. It's hardly cumbersome to carry either.

My 3 year old finds the iPad too heavy - so the mini is perfect.
    It's just a matter of time...

I was on the train reading the Times on my iPad, and some lad came into the carriage with the mini. First one I have seen in the wild and to be honest though the size was plenty for dealing with content on the move - very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    My 3 year old finds the iPad too heavy - so the mini is perfect.
    He/She might put it on their christmas list :D

Beas came today (it was her birthday present). She loves it, and I'm pretty impressed myself as the size makes it ultra-portable and great for commuting, etc. The screen certainly seems to be a usable size.

Depends what she would be using it for

Ipad mini was a nice size but a bit too small for me to do anything productive! Nexus 7 is quite nice too! I plumped for ipad 4!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I don't have the iPhone 5 or the iPad mini, but I do have an iPhone 4 and had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" for a while. I bought it on a bit of a whim, but it was definitely much better for browsing and watching movies than the iPhone was. I found it too small to be of use for taking notes in meetings if that's what you're after. I only got rid of it because I found the software very buggy.

I don't understand how people can use tablets as eReaders though. If I did get an iPad mini or another small tablet, there's no way it would replace my Kindle.

I think the mini would be a great size - the Samsung 8.9 was great - but the 7inch screens are just that little bit too small.

Craftsman
    If they ever find a way to have an eInk and LCD display on the same device, I'll be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by sunster View Post
    I own the iphone and the Ipad 3...don't see the point in the mini. Ipad to me is just the right size for browsing. It's hardly cumbersome to carry either.
    I am confused with iPads, is an ipad 3 the same as a new iPad? or are we now on ipad 4?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreathopper View Post
    I am confused with iPads, is an ipad 3 the same as a new iPad? or are we now on ipad 4?
    We are now on iPad 4 - the 3 and 4 are called the new iPad. However they have just annoyed quite a few people and added a faster chip and the new charging system to the "new" iPad. Great if you were going to buy and now have - a bit annoying if you had just bought the 3 Gen model!

Oh I see, I have the iPad 3 or new iPad as it was called when I bought it 6 months ago.

Thanks..