closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which HD freeview pvr?

Which HD freeview pvr?

Humax seems to get a lot of good press.
    I am cancelling the Sky package and need a HD feed with recording, pause and decent EPG.

Any recommendations?

Master

Re: Which HD freeview pvr?

Humax HDR-Fox T2 every time.
    There's a good reason why this little known manufacturer has become pretty much ubiquitous in the Freeview PVR market.

Banned

Humax vote here too. (I have the standard non-HD box) and it's been great.

Master

I'm on my third Humax. I had a PVR 9200T then PVR 9300T and now the HDR-Fox T2.
    The earlier versions were good although prone to occasional lock-ups at times and the interface was a bit basic.
    The HDR is superb though and the epg and interface is really slick. I think it's actually a lot better than Sky.

Humax - I have the non-HD one and its been fantastic. Great upscaling on SD content and even the Mrs can work it.

Cheers all.

That will be the one then.

Master

Just bought my Mum a Humax Fox T2 HD 500gb. Really impressed with it on the whole. I often think the measure of these boxes is if it could replace your TV interface/remote. Happy to report the EPG is super quick and operation of the box really simple. There are 2 tuners (actually 2 1/2 tuners*) you can record 2 different channels at the sametime as well as watching a previous recording or the start of something you have started recording. Want to record? Go to EPG press okay, select this programme or whole series (records to a separate folder so all in one place) - Done - no need to switch it to stand-by like in the old days. Whole product look good too. HD picture is good too. Does an auto pause live TV to 2 hours - so long as you've been on the same channel you can rewind up to 2 hours without having to activate a timeshift function.

You can plug a USD drive into the USB slot and watch content from there too such as ripped movies, as a media player it works reasonably well but has struggled with MKV files. You can also add a wireless usb device to get Iplayer - found iplayer a little clunky but good playback of streamed content.

Great product does what it says on the tin.
    Graded products here with 1 yr warranty http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat2.a ... type=hdstb
    John Lewis do a free 2 yr guarantee
    Peter Tysen do a 3 year guarantee but a touch more expensive
    Richer Sounds have that 5 year guarantee too

Only real downside was it should have 2 USB ports in back , couldnt play my MKV files and Play, FF RW buttons could be a little more prominent.

* The 1/2 refers to the fact you can often record 2 channels and watch a 3rd through the box too (all channels split into about 6 Mux's) if you are trying to watch a 3rd channel and it's on the same mux as one you are recording then you can see the third channel. In operation you often have the 3rd channel unless you are out recording on the more obscure freeview channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar
    I'm on my third Humax. I had a PVR 9200T then PVR 9300T and now the HDR-Fox T2.
    The earlier versions were good although prone to occasional lock-ups at times and the interface was a bit basic.
    The HDR is superb though and the epg and interface is really slick. I think it's actually a lot better than Sky.
    I was going to post my experiences but they're identical to Cynar above with the exception that I bought the PVR 9200T for my father rather than myself. He's still got it and it has been excellent for him. The HDR-FOX T2 is superb: never had a lock-up, the EPG is instant (previous version had to retrieve this Over The Air each time the unit was switched on), a doddle to use and excellent picture quality. The only downside, if it matters to you, is that there is no way of easily exporting recordings to a computer as there is with the 9200T.

Skier

Craftsman

Humax all the way. But if its replacing SKY and you still have the dish and cabling, then its Freesat (Humax FOXSAT-HDR) that you want not Freeview. More HD content, and with a cracking picture.

Master

Freesat does transmit in higher resolution (ie bigger frame size) than Freeview HD for some channels. Not the BBC channels, though.

Humax, although good are buggy. Make sure you fully review the one you want first! I have a freeview humx, and in the end gave up on it. Glitchy/buggy. Tbfnew firmware may havesorted it but lost patience!

It will be replacing sky - so freesat may be the way.

Though getting wife pressure re: sky atlantic and sky1..

I have been looking for a HD, pvr and really want to get a sony one,there seems to be issues with the sony one available so maybe the Humax is an option. Hd pvrs are still in the infancy stage so I might give it a couple of months and see what they are bringing out for xmas

Humax. Just bought the HD freeview version to replace my old 8000 model. It is excellent and certainly not buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar
    Humax HDR-Fox T2 every time.
    There's a good reason why this little known manufacturer has become pretty much ubiquitous in the Freeview PVR market.
    I've been through this a short time ago. I bought a Humax HDR-Fox T2 and can recommend them

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by markie3182
    I have been looking for a HD, pvr and really want to get a sony one,there seems to be issues with the sony one available so maybe the Humax is an option. Hd pvrs are still in the infancy stage so I might give it a couple of months and see what they are bringing out for xmas
    Wouldn't say they are in their infancy, the Foxsat box has been out for nearly 3 years IIRC.

You can also stick a custom firmware on it that lets you browse all the recorded programs from any pc in your house, if you stick it on your network.

Craftsman

Humax HDR-Fox T2, very happy with mine.

Repetitive but Humax HDR-Fox 2. I've had the 8000T, 9200 and now HDR-fox2 and it is brilliant.

Master

Humax customer service seems good too.
    Mine has been faultless, but the one my parents bought on my recommendation has started freezing.
    I phoned Humax on Monday and today a brand new one arrived and the faulty one was taken away.

Journeyman

bought a Humax HDR-Fox T2 on the basis of this thread

have to say i'm very pleased with it

ideally i would like it to handle ITVPlayer and 4OD (in addition to BBC iPlayer an youtube), but i guess that could come with a s/w update.

that is assuming i even want more B&Q adverts and there's an episode of Grand Designs that has somehow escaped us

the openbox s10 is your only box, with it the possibilitys are endless. otherwise the ferguson ariva hd combo, it costs a pittance, check it out at boards.ie / tech / cable and digital tv/ foregin satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshearer View Post
    bought a Humax HDR-Fox T2 on the basis of this thread
    have to say i'm very pleased with it
    ideally i would like it to handle ITVPlayer and 4OD (in addition to BBC iPlayer an youtube), but i guess that could come with a s/w update.
    that is assuming i even want more B&Q adverts and there's an episode of Grand Designs that has somehow escaped us
    Similarly I've just bought a Humax HDR-Fox T2 on the basis of the recommendations here (thank you all) and the equally positive reviews on Amazon. I replaced an ageing Topfield following my recent purchase of a Samsung HD TV. They're both impressive, especially on HD and the Humax's internal hard drive is silent compared the Toppy's noisy and vibration prone drive.

It's first extended task will be to record all episodes of The Killing III in glorious HD!

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I bought this Panasonic last August. Can't fault it. It records two programmes whilst playing back a third and you can write an HD film to a Blu-ray disc (once).

Freeview HD is excellent quality.

The EPG is intuitive. A niggle is that maybe it could scroll a little faster than it does.

I use mine in conjunction with my Sky box. I record some of the Discovery and other little channel programmes or TMC films for my dad, transfer to the Panasonic and write them to DVD he can play on his machine.

Our Humax can't seem to pick up the HD channels. Stick the aerial straight into the Panasonic tv and HD channels are fine. Tv seems to have a much stronger receiver than the humax box. Disappointing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave View Post
    Humax all the way. But if its replacing SKY and you still have the dish and cabling, then its Freesat (Humax FOXSAT-HDR) that you want not Freeview. More HD content, and with a cracking picture.
    Another vote for the FOXSAT HDR. I changed from Sky last November and am very pleased.

I had a Humax 9200T for a few years before replacing it with a 9300T a couple of years back (actually, might be 3-4 years ago when I think about it). Always been very happy with them both. Is it worth the upgrade to the HD one?
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I had a Humax 9200T for a few years before replacing it with a 9300T a couple of years back (actually, might be 3-4 years ago when I think about it). Always been very happy with them both. Is it worth the upgrade to the HD one?
    I'd say yes. It is much quicker, less buggy and the EPG is much faster to load than the old 9200/9300. Having said that, it's only worth it if you watch the HD channels.

Craftsman

Not Humax

Just ordered a Panasonic DMR HW 220. 1Tb 2 tuners. Wireless Internet. ( Hadn't seen this thread) Arrives tomorrow. I'm used to Panasonic so expect it seem to quite familiar.

Another Humax here.
    I have an ageing 9200 which works fine but is a little noisy on the hard drive now. I have it in the bedroom now and prefer to turn it off at night.
    I replaced it with a Fox T2 in the front room. excellent machine 500GB but I have noticed the search on it only goes up to 32 x where the old one did 64 x.
    No big deal but I scroll back and fourth a lot and does help things along.

I'm sure other PVRs can do this but I love the fact that the Humax HDR-Fox T2 can display a vast array of media simply by sticking a USB stick into the front of it. Watch-Tanka YouTube clips in HD are extremely dangerous!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Which?'s best buy is:
    The Humax PVR9300T is similar to the previous PVR box model, the PVR9200T, but it has a larger hard disk (320GB), which means it can record up to 200 hours of television. Is this PVR box as outstanding as Humax previous model?
    It's a twin tuner device that allows you to record one live programme while watching another, to record two programmes at once while playing back a third you've recorded previously or, in some circumstances, record two programmes while watching a third programme live. You can also record radio programmes if you wish.
    You can pause live TV or start watching a recorded programme before it's finished recording. This last option means you can deliberately set a programme to record, start watching it a few minutes after it has started and 'chase play', skipping over ad breaks as you 'catch up' with the live broadcast - very useful if your programme is on a commercial channel and you find the ads irritating.
    from 2008.

What is the advantage of the Humax over the Panasonic I linked to? The Panny connected to my router instantly through wi-fi and will Skype, Netflick etc and even browse if you've patience with a remote for that purpose.

Which HD freeview pvr?

Do a google search on "digitalstream". - superb below the radar device.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs-...-part-one.html

Kev

Panasonic

Been using a twin HD tuner Panasonic with bluray for a couple of years now. Personally I think its a nicer piece of kit than the Humax the inlaws use.

I have the Sony SRT HDT-500 and haven't had any issues with it in over a year other than it needing to be powered off at the wall once after my son had been messing with the remote
    My only gripe is that I cannot copy/archive anything I have recorded to any other device...that said it may well be the same on other boxes.

If I didn't already own a blu-ray player I probably would have bought a combined box though.

Which HD freeview pvr?

Tvonics PVR for me.

Humax here, 4 years and still running great. I have a USB hard drive plugged in to mine for time shifting.

Master
    I picked up a Humax HDR Fox-T2 yesterday for £219 on the recommendation of my dad. Good to reed the positive endorsements here though I wont be able to set it up until tomorrow night.

As an aside , anyone know when Freeview will be offering any more HD content?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil T View Post
    Just ordered a Panasonic DMR HW 220. 1Tb 2 tuners. Wireless Internet. ( Hadn't seen this thread) Arrives tomorrow. I'm used to Panasonic so expect it seem to quite familiar.
    Arrived yesterday, Nice easy interface but then it's similar to other Panasonics. Recorded two programmes last night whilst watching a third. Wireless Internet so Iplayer etc is a doddle.

The HD looks good to me, it pauses live Tv and has USB and Sd slots for transporting your stuff around, also acts as a media server but haven't got around to that yet.

Not sure I could ask for much more.

Cheers, Neil

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    I have the Sony SRT HDT-500 and haven't had any issues with it in over a year other than it needing to be powered off at the wall once after my son had been messing with the remote
    My only gripe is that I cannot copy/archive anything I have recorded to any other device...that said it may well be the same on other boxes.

If I didn't already own a blu-ray player I probably would have bought a combined box though.
    My old Panasonic with DVD recorder could do this. Anyone know if current Panasonics can archive to built in DVD/Blu-ray? Always seems a shame that recordings are lost when unit dies or replaced (unlike VHS).

Hmmm, I currently have a Humax 9300t, and had decided to not get another humax as it keeps randomly dropping series recordings. Everything else works very well apart from that.
    Has anyone else had the same issue with the 9x00 series and moved onto the HD versions and had no issues in this area? I might have to look again if so as the interface and functions are just about spot on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    My old Panasonic with DVD recorder could do this. Anyone know if current Panasonics can archive to built in DVD/Blu-ray? Always seems a shame that recordings are lost when unit dies or replaced (unlike VHS).
    Yes there is a range that will burn to DVD and/or Blu-ray.

Have a look for the DMR BWT 720.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Tvonics PVR for me.
    Aye. Had a Tvonics, fabulous little British built thing till it blew up... so replaced it with a completely reliable yet awfull Humax. It works but the menu is like a ceefax prototype.

Craftsman
    The only annoying thing with the Humax is that after every firmware update you have to reprogramme all your preset recirdings