closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seriously considering a Kemmner Octopus - any views?

Seriously considering a Kemmner Octopus - any views?

I've got a bit of a weakness for dive watches and as some may remember, I currently own an Omega SMP300M, a Glycine Combat Sub and a PRS-3LE (in Nederlands Orange)

I like them all, but I'm being drawn to the Kemmner Octopus as another "stealth" brand with a high quality low cost watch.
    I know that Roland was involved in the PRS cases, so my question is whether the WISdom here is that the PRS3 and the Octopus are a bit too similar?
    The dial and bezel designs are very different, but the cases seem very similar and they both run 2824-2's.

As I've also got a pair of Glycines with 2824-2's, I also feel something with a different movement might be a better bet.
    Any thoughts on Kemmner watches and the Octopus in general would be appreciated.
    The 2k depth rating is cool too :)

Thanks.

I sold mine LNIB - but very very good for the price - a big watch too, and I wear a DSSD. I'd have another at the right price and with the the right hand set.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm comparing my Octopus with the specs of the PRS3 on Eddies website the now and would say there are enough differences between the two. The 2824 movement in the Octopus came in top configuration against standard in the PRS3, the sapphire crystal was 4mm for the Octopus against 3mm in the Precista, HEV/HRV for the Octopus, none for the PRS3, C3 lume on the Octopus bezel and i'm sure you could pick other subtle differences between the two.

As for the Octopus itself, it is a serious lump of 316l for the wrist, quality is more than decent for the pricepoint with a good heavyweight bracelet to go with it. I actually like the stealth dial, it makes a nice change not to have oversized brand names or needless writing on the dial to distract from what is in essence a tool watch and doesn't pretend to be anything overwise.

My only minor gripe is the C1 dial/C3 bezel combination, it just doesn't work for me. I'd much have preferred both dial and bezel to be C3. As for the 2k depth rating , well it's a more a gimmick but at least you know you have a near as can be water proofed watch and all for a very modest outlay at that.

As for Kemmner, Roland does have a reputation for producing excellent VFM watches with good quality.

Here are pictures of mine.

Nice pics Karolewskiej, just to compliment them, here's a badly taken one of mine at night.

Thanks for the info all, I'm getting more and more tempted! I may have to drop Roland an inquisitive mail this week.

You may like to check out Roland's Turtle watches.
    Very much like the Octopus but without the very thick case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    Thanks for the info all, I'm getting more and more tempted! I may have to drop Roland an inquisitive mail this week.
    You may have to trawl the sales forums for a used version as Roland only did a batch of around 500 last year which quickly sold out, or perhaps as Routers suggests, look at getting a new Turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Nice pics Karolewskiej, just to compliment them, here's a badly taken one of mine at night.

Like a torch :)

Kemmner Octopus

I'm a big fan of Kemmner. Apart from the casing of the prs25 I have the Kemmner Aviator and am definitely looking for a Kemmner diver too. A real wis brand.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie View Post
    I'm a big fan of Kemmner. Apart from the casing of the prs25 I have the Kemmner Aviator and am definitely looking for a Kemmner diver too. A real wis brand.
    Kemmner has very good quality for very good prices.

I have Marine from him and finish of that watch i perfect.

i have 2 Kemmner watches (my aeronautec is a re-badged Kemmner turtle)

and IMHO they're amazing watches for the cost, not just quality feel (almost everyone can make a nice 316 case these days) but little touches like hand aligment and crown logo being the right way up, date change at 12:00 = really show the attention to detail that Roland puts in

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    You may have to trawl the sales forums for a used version as Roland only did a batch of around 500 last year which quickly sold out, or perhaps as Routers suggests, look at getting a new Turtle.
    Yeah discontinued now, I think the final count was 555, lead time was 15 weeks iirc. If anyone's looking I have a hardly used one going up on SC.

Journeyman
    I was not aware of these watches until now. Glad I have seem them. Particularly like the aviator

Quote Originally Posted by fornowagain View Post
    Yeah discontinued now, I think the final count was 555, lead time was 15 weeks iirc. If anyone's looking I have a hardly used one going up on SC.
    Did you catch my last PM? :)