closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any fine dining fans?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I bought her an Omega - I am sure she prefers it to a few fancy meals.
    Smart man, but just to let you know despite what she says, no she does not, she wants both.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Smart man, but just to let you know despite what she says, no she does not, she wants both.
    ;)

Oh I am certain of that ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

;)

Oh I am certain of that ;)

But there are no really nice restaurants over here :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    another fan here

The best meal we had was at Restaurant Gordan Ramsey a few years ago, love him or hate him, the food and service was superb. Also liked Number1 in Edinburgh. We went to the Hand of Flowers a few weeks ago, very nice but not 2 star IMO

Not sure if any one flagged this. Tragic news, aparently happened on Monday..
    Two chefs from Heston Blumenthal's Michelin starred Fat Duck restraurant were killed when their taxi collided with a bus in Hong Kong...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...Hong-Kong.html
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM View Post
    For lunch it has to be Wiltons it serves the best halibut this side of The Life of Brian.
    Now we're talking; for fish and game they really are the tops. I also recommend dining at Brooks if you can get a member to take you. I had the pleasure for my birthday a few years ago and it was spectacular; the evening delightfully finished with 20 mins in the geriatric creche (aka Library) with a glass of port.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    +1 for Gordon Ramsey Chelsea, had a fab lunchtime there that went on for 4 hours...amazing

but I actually think the Fat Duck is over-rated (been there twice), and much prefer
    Hand in Flowers in Marlow, Tom Kerridge so what do you expect
    Vanilla Pod also in Marlow
    Caldesi in Campagna (just around the corner from Fat Duck), great Italian food that I couldn't cook at home http://www.caldesi.com/caldesi_in_campagna/

Journeyman
    The Sportsman in Seasalter, well worth a trip if you're in Kent and enjoy decent food. Very unassuming, very relaxed, fantastic local food & decent prices.

Also make sure we eat at Fifteen at Watergate Bay every time we're in Kernow, worth it just for the view, great food on top is a bonus.

Best meal I've had was probably at Gordon Ramsey's Maze, a redundancy treat from my wife

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    There's a restaurant in Winchester called the Gandhi where the food is usually very good (although occasionally not so) and the service is as good as the best I've ever experienced at Michelin star restaurants. Much to my amusement I now judge restaurants on the "Ronnie Scale", Ronnie being the owner of the Gandhi. His waiters fill your glasses for you and if you're near to running out offer you another.

Other places I like:

The Chesil Rectory in Winchester. http://www.chesilrectory.co.uk/

The Harrow at Steep, near Petersfield. http://www.harrow-inn.co.uk/
    I frequent their Romsey 'branch' the Three Tuns, excellent food indeed!

theres a brilliant documentary on paul liebrandt on the iplayer at the moment. be quick, its only on there for two more days.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Another vote for The Hand &Flowers in Marlow. They used to have a fantastic value lunchtime set menu.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    The Sportsman in Seasalter, well worth a trip if you're in Kent and enjoy decent food. Very unassuming, very relaxed, fantastic local food & decent prices.

Also make sure we eat at Fifteen at Watergate Bay every time we're in Kernow, worth it just for the view, great food on top is a bonus.

Best meal I've had was probably at Gordon Ramsey's Maze, a redundancy treat from my wife
    As you will see from an earlier post, I'm a Sportsman fan. I like Maze too - the food's really good, but the sommelier (sp?) was extremely useful and suggested we had a slightly cheaper (but vintage) wine last time I went. Superb choice! He also put on a free dessert wine for us too - apparently because we'd shown interest. Great service which isn't something I've always experienced in London.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Another vote for The Hand &Flowers in Marlow. They used to have a fantastic value lunchtime set menu.
    Yes I agree the Hand and Flowers does the best lunch. Also worth trying the Hinds Head at Bray

Any fine dining fans?

I really love going to st Johns.

Heard that Hedon supposed to be a nice place, opend by a swede like my self:)

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Gidleigh Park was lovely, although probably the hardest restaurant in the UK to find! Sat Nav was useless and directed us miles out of the way!
    LOL. We went there a while back, and it's almost comically isolated if you're a city/surburbanite used to proper roads! We didn't get lost, but we thought we were most of the last few miles. Very nice though, the setting, the food and the service were excellent - so worth the effort. Caines/Brownsword's Abode chain is pretty nice as well - not quite as high-end as Gidleigh, but pretty good and a bit more contemporary - we stayed at the one in Chester - the room was beautiful and the food very good.

Master
    I went to The Duck and Waffle yesterday. I had half a meal before the kitchen went up in flames and The Heron Tower was evacuated. Flames and 40 floors of fire exit made it memorable, but the ox cheek donut was really lost on me!

Blog Entries
    Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons has been my best and most enjoyable dining experience, SWMBO would echo that as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dl_griff View Post
    We went to the Hand of Flowers a few weeks ago, very nice but not 2 star IMO
    I agree, we went a year or so ago, I think it may have been only a single star then, very nice but didn't quite live up to expectations. Not least it was winter and the radiator about an inch from my thigh was blisteringly hot, in fact we asked to move and the whole place was uncomfortably warm.

Best experience was Shaun Rankin's Bohemia in Jersey, the taster menu kept us going for the best part of 3 hours, with around 12 courses and almost as many (small) glasses of wine. It seemed that we had the constant attention of around 3 staff, and everything was perfect.

We're at Le Caprice on Saturday (an old favourite from when I worked in London) and really looking forward to it. Not the best or most "it" place, but very good all the same.

Also partial to its sister restaurant The Ivy which is superb - and ignore all the hype about it being a celeb haunt as its a fine restaurant in its own right.

Craftsman
    Can thoroughly recommend Purnells in Birmingham

Excellent food, fancy but not poncey

Many over rated, most over priced.

Most people I know that frequent such establishments tend to "name drop" about their visit, rather than enjoy the meal?

Example "oh we have just come back from a weekend in Padstow, Rick Stein bla, bla, `effin bla!"
    Last edited by philip walker; 29th November 2012 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by philip walker View Post
    Many over rated, most over priced.

Most people I know that frequent such establishments tend to "name drop" about their visit, rather than enjoy the meal?

Example "oh we have just come back from a weekend in Padstow, Rick Stein bla, bla, `effin bla!"
    Bit harsh...

Master
    I've been lucky over the years to be able to go to some expensive restaurants in my time, but in the spirit of the comment above, if you're in London and don't want to spend a fortune but want some decent food and lots of choice, try one of the Haz restaurants...

Any fine dining fans?

Dinner by Heston Blumenthal is pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauting View Post
    I thought elements of the meal were fantastic, but let down by a couple of courses on the day (most notably, the Powdered Duck). I do like his cooking - at best, it's innovative, playful and absolutely delicious (the Meat Fruit, for example) - however, I wouldn't rush back (but then, I wouldn't rush back to the Fat Duck either).

Quote Originally Posted by Lauting View Post
    I found it vastly overrated (and overpriced) and would not return.

Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    I found it vastly overrated (and overpriced) and would not return.
    A tad overrated but still decent and i would recommend & go back but as for price all the Michelin star restaurants charge roughly the same prices.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post

Those sausage rolls look good!

Master
    Saw Marcus Wareing on Masterchef last night. I went there last year and the food was very good but not quite at 3 stars, I think 2 stars is about right, but the service was impeccable and friendly and when we mentioned in jest that it was someones birthday a few weeks ago as the shabby reason for the meal, after desert a fairy cake with candle was brought out to us, just a nice sweet touch.

I think Hand and Flowers is on MC on Thursday so looking forward to that.

Went to Theo Randall at the Intercontinental Hotel in Hyde Park Corner today.

Food was stunning.

Master
    Have eaten at a couple of decent restaurants in London over the years when there for the weekend and would love to try Le Gavroche, but my favourite all time restaurant??

McNean Restaurant, Blacklion, Co. Cavan.

Very difficult to get booked into believe it or not, food is sublime, service second to none but a very relaxed and great atmosphere.

If any of you guys are venturing over to Ireland it is well worth a visit.

Master
    Another vote for St Johns and St Johns bread and wine, different atmosphere in both places but still fantiastic 'British food'

Guildley Park in Chagford is an amazing get away and the Seahorse in Dartmouth is superb. The seafood restaurant is also great down in Cornwall.

If your going to the south of france go to a place called Sete and find the Paris Mediterranee which serves the best food I have ever eaten. (11 courses for 40euro)

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Harvester? All you can eat salad bar.

That's about as fine as it gets these days, but there is a lovely little Italian near us, La Scala, that we visit on special occasions. Lovely Swordfish.
    +1. La Scala in Cowyed if thats the same as you go to

Apprentice
    Nothing goes better with fine watches than fine dining imho. My fav Michelin restaurants and meals in/around London are -

Le Gavroche (Cheese souffle, Foie gras and Fillet steak)
    Fat Duck (Bacon and Egg ice cream)
    Nobu (Kobe Wagyu steak, Black Cod)
    Gordon Ramsay Chelsea (Lobster ravioli)

Anyone else have a fav fine dining restaurant?

I found La Gavroche a little disappointing if i'm honest; wouldn't return. Current favourites are La Chapelle, Roka and the Ledbury. My girlfriend went to Dinner by Heston and is still raving on about it months after - think that'll be next on the to do list!

Benaries on Berkley Square, although only one star, is hard to beat, take the chefs table and the tasting menu and you won't be disappointed.

Hibiscus, Le Gav, Waterside, Fatduck are also excellent.

For a more relaxed Michelin experience I try the Royal Oak & Hinds Head, both near Bray.