closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yorkshire, when are you coming?...

Yorkshire, when are you coming?...

A video for those whom aren't fortunate enough to live in God's own county.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-nH3DN-ubE

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Was that Yorkshire? It looked much like Lancashire.
    "A man of little significance"

That is lovely, and reminds me just how special the UK is in terms of geography and geology. We really do live in a beautiful land.

Although I was in Doncaster the other week and wasn't quite so enthused by that.
    So clever my foot fell off.

It's Yorkshire all right. I love it here. Where I live, in West Yorkshire, it's the perfect classic car country. The drive through the moors out to the sea is just about as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    It's Yorkshire all right. I love it here. Where I live, in West Yorkshire, it's the perfect classic car country. The drive through the moors out to the sea is just about as good as it gets.
    When my car's road legal (next year I hope) I'll be taking it onto the moor roads - quite, well surfaced & challenging - we have a house near Filey so I'll be taking it there too (won't be using the A64 either).

Excellent video - 'tis a beautiful county (& country) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Dude - that's killin' talk around the Dales!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    That is lovely, and reminds me just how special the UK is in terms of geography and geology. We really do live in a beautiful land.

Although I was in Doncaster the other week and wasn't quite so enthused by that.
    Haha, yeah Donny cam be a bit grim... There are quite a few places like that in Yorkshire, but I tend to ignore their existence. Until recently I used to live in Leeds, and the area I was in could make you pretty depressed, but even there I was only about 30 min away from great beauty. When I lived in Chicago, you'd need to drive for hours just to escape the concrete.

and Clarkson wasn't about Rotherham, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6EdKtWAIMY

I'm a born Yorkshire lad and love this part of the country.

Rod

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    Amazing how they edited the sunshine onto the video ;-)

Funny how there was not a single black person or ethnic minority person
    in the video to show Yorkshire's modern ethnic diversity.
    There might be one briefly at 2:22 at the start of the cross country race.
    There were 2 Canada Geese though at 2:04.

Not a very inclusive attempt to promote Yorkshire as a destination for
    for all British people. The producers should have picked this up before
    releasing it.

The coastline looked spectacular, down south you forget Yorkshire has a
    coast.
    WTF..ethnic mix!...theres hardly any people in the video! its all buildings and countryside!

The sea is on the left in Lancashire.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned
    Amazing how they edited the sunshine onto the video ;-)

Funny how there was not a single black person or ethnic minority person
    in the video to show Yorkshire's modern ethnic diversity.
    There might be one briefly at 2:22 at the start of the cross country race.
    There were 2 Canada Geese though at 2:04.

Not a very inclusive attempt to promote Yorkshire as a destination for
    for all British people. The producers should have picked this up before
    releasing it.

The coastline looked spectacular, down south you forget Yorkshire has a
    coast.
    Grow up.

Must have taken ages to film that - no rain
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

There are a lot of people in the video, walking, sailing, running, on the train, on the ramparts of a castle etc.
    I am saying that the makers of the video should have been sensitive to the fact that Yorkshire if you are
    promoting it as a visitor destination has a wide and varied ethnic mix to ensure all people would feel welcome.
    To do so matters in modern Britain.
    I'm sensitive to the fact that there will shortly be one fewer members of this forum.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

There are a lot of people in the video, walking, sailing, running, on the train, on the ramparts of a castle etc.
    I am saying that the makers of the video should have been sensitive to the fact that Yorkshire if you are
    promoting it as a visitor destination has a wide and varied ethnic mix to ensure all people would feel welcome.
    To do so matters in modern Britain.
    I kind of get what you are saying, but if on the day they turned up to film there were no black people around you can hardly bus them in or (whatever the video version of) PhotoShop them in afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I'm sensitive to the fact that there will shortly be one fewer members of this forum.

Eddie
    Lol that really tickled me,Eddie the troll hunter.

True enough, the legacy of heavy industry, but ten minutes from the town centre and you have some lovely scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    True enough, the legacy of heavy industry, but ten minutes from the town centre and you have some lovely scenery.
    That's fair enough. I was mainly in the centre staying in the Premier Inn (Everything's Premier except the price...and the accommodation, and the service, and the food....)

And I can talk, as I used to live in Luton, which to be fair is also surrounded by some nice countryside. Which I now happily live in.

Actually, Doncaster reminded me quite a bit of Luton, old industrial and has a bit of soul.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    We have some nice bits down South too (and some places just as nasty as the grim bits of Leeds, Rotherham, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Sheffield etc) we just don't bang on about it so much.

In a spirit of diplomacy I will say I think Sheffield City Centre is a jewel (bits of anyway) and I'd love to visit that river canyon, where is that. It is a beautifully shot film though.

West Yorkshire born 'n' bred her n'all!

http://youtu.be/Rm6VC5gdaFA

http://youtu.be/K4JNdseNOkE

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I am very happy to say that in January, after44 years away, I will be coming back home to Yorkshire. The best Xmas present I could wish for. I can't wait to be back in the land of my birth, not mention some fine watches.

Beautiful scenery, and a rousing soundtrack.

Bah, I want a helicopter now

Great vid - I recognised most of the places, Robin Hood's Bay & Malham Tarn anyone ?

Master
    I was born in Yorkshire and love going back to the Dales. My home town of Bradford is less appealing though!

Master

Nowt wrong wi Donny.

Re: Yorkshire, when are you coming?...

Doncaster is a complex town. It's made up of the main Doncaster town centre plus a ring of large (pop 15000) ex pit villages, each with its own loyalties. With the pits gone, the rail works gone, ICI gone and International Harvesters (tractors) gone you're left with a huge pool of manual workers for whom there is no work. Firms that have moved in have brought jobs but only a fraction of what is required.
    Little wonder then that it's not a nice little market town full of green wellies and fancy coffee shops.
    I've always found the people friendly and helpful.

I used to visit Doncaster once a month a few years ago visiting a company on Middle Bank.
    I always stayed at an Inn in Bawtry a few miles south of Donnie.
    The Client would not put me up in Doncaster as a softy southerner believing I would not
    survive the local wildlife. I did have a look around in the lunch hours and was shocked how
    raw/different it appeared to be from the good old South West (Devon & Somerset).

I could not live there, I do admire the people that get up everyday to go to work in such
    an environment and stay due to it being their home area.
    Did you get this feeling every time you enter a large town or city? Doncaster isn't my favourite place but it's hardly some post-apocalyptic hell hole. I would have thought the rougher areas of any of the larger south coast ports would be comparable, and within your own experience to make the comparison?

Looking at the posts in this thread, HoneyFB obviously has some issues with Yorkshire.

I was born in Bath, brought up in a small village, was a student in Plymouth then Bristol
    and have only lived in small villages/hamlets ever since.

I am not a town/city fan I must admit, especially UK towns and cities.
    I have traveled quite a lot for work and the only towns I have liked are Newcastle (strangely enough), Hong Kong,
    Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Mannheim and Heidelberg.

I detested Paris, Madrid, Warsaw, London, Manchester, Birmingham, Doncaster, Nottingham, Swindon.

Paris being the worst, spent a whole year there, that was a hell hole.
    I don't really know where to begin with this. Yes, Swindon probably was/is shit, but can you lump it in with the same level of shitness of some of the great European capital cities?

Newcastle probably has areas of post-industrial decline much more stark than Doncaster (or at least Gateshead did when I was last there). With the exception of Newcastle, it seems you dislike most of England's big towns - which fortunately for you are not in the SW. Maybe it's the rest of the country you dislike?

Journeyman
    I was born in Bath, brought up in a small village, was a student in Plymouth then Bristol
    and have only lived in small villages/hamlets ever since.

I am not a town/city fan I must admit, especially UK towns and cities.
    I have traveled quite a lot for work and the only towns I have liked are Newcastle (strangely enough), Hong Kong,
    Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Mannheim and Heidelberg.

I detested Paris, Madrid, Warsaw, London, Manchester, Birmingham, Doncaster, Nottingham, Swindon.

Paris being the worst, spent a whole year there, that was a hell hole.
    The bit you never seem to get though is that other people do live in those places. And many people love them. It's your uncomprehending rudeness about them that keeps getting people's backs up - mine especially.

I would love to go to Yorkshire on Tues 8th Jan,Bradford to be precise to watch the Villa march on to Wemberlee!

ps great county.

Journeyman
    I am sorry my opinion has got your backup, try and chill a little and have a great Xmas, if we get past the end of the
    World which I heard on the radio this morning that was happening at 11:15 approx today.
    Telling me to "chill a little" - even more likely to get my back up! Well done...

I'll leave it there for three reasons: one, it's Christmas. Two, don't want to hijack this thread. Three, ah well I'm not going to share that one....

Back to the point of the thread. I've lived and worked in Yorkshire. Went to Uni in Sheffield, lived and worked in Castleford and Leeds and a regular visitor to Wetherby and Scarborough amongst many other places. I love Leeds - great City. And the countryside across large chunks of Yorkshire is just stunning. As someone born in Manchester it's hard for me to say this, but I love visiting and enjoyed it every time I lived there. Simply stunning. But, by 'eck the footie teams are rubbish....

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Jestermedia View Post
    Telling me to "chill a little" - even more likely to get my back up! Well done...

I'll leave it there for three reasons: one, it's Christmas. Two, don't want to hijack this thread. Three, ah well I'm not going to share that one....

Back to the point of the thread. I've lived and worked in Yorkshire. Went to Uni in Sheffield, lived and worked in Castleford and Leeds and a regular visitor to Wetherby and Scarborough amongst many other places. I love Leeds - great City. And the countryside across large chunks of Yorkshire is just stunning. As someone born in Manchester it's hard for me to say this, but I love visiting and enjoyed it every time I lived there. Simply stunning. But, by 'eck the footie teams are rubbish....

Simon

It's nice to hear that our County neighbours enjoy Yorkshire as much as we do.

You're right about our Footy teams though, they're hopeless, but that's because we grow Olympians here rather than footballists.

Merry Christmas to All.

Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4 View Post
    I would love to go to Yorkshire on Tues 8th Jan,Bradford to be precise to watch the Villa march on to Wemberlee!

ps great county.
    Did you hear about the scouser going into a travel agent to book a holiday? The travel agent says "you can't beat a good villa this time of year"

My dad worked in Bradford for a while, one day someone broke into his car and not only nicked the stereo and speakers but also the full alarm system, which was armed at the time. I worked in a factory up there for a couple of weeks and remember seeing people stripping lead off a roof over the road in broad daylight. This was the early 1990s.

Master
    I have enjoyed several cycling trips to Yorkshire, it's really rugged and beautiful and the hills go on for a lot longer than the ones in Surrey or even Dartmoor where I cycle a lot. I stay in a tiny place called Cracoe in the Dales on a working farm.Did not make it up there this year which was a shame but will definitely be on my list for 2013.. Great news about the Tour starting there in 2014, this will be a massive boost for the county and I'll definitely be up there for that..

Master
    I'm a born and bred Lancashire lad, nowt wrong with Yorkshire at all, that said I would get gutted alive for saying that back ooop north in my home town. I now live in South Wales and the one thing that stands out is that after several years in London it was nice toi get back to a place where there was stunning countryside and most importantly people who would pass you in the street and acknowledge your existance.

Where we live now reminds me of Lancaster where I lived up until I was 23, I know all my neighbours and if required they will give you a hand, stand and chat for ages, keep an eye on your house for you and generally just make home feel a bit more like "home" should, afterall your home (as in house) is yours but actually the community around you makes a huge difference as to just how much at home you feel.

We had a great drive over the yorkshire moors over to Lancashire the other Christmas, fantastic roads and amazing scenery on both sides of the border :-)

Paul

Home sick now, cheers

I always liked this YouTube song. Probably only Yorkshire folk will appreciate it though, oop tha.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d4U17cLoAXI

Master
    My dad is from South Yorkshire and i still have many family and friends in the Doncaster/Sheffield/Rotherham area.

I did find this funny though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR9Zdgv2Kag

Great promotional video. Saw my office in the corner of one shot. Yorkshire is England's biggest county and also its most geographically and culturally diverse. It never feels like 'one place' to me. Someone mentioned the lack of black faces. That's because much of it was filmed in north Yorkshire where there are few. Go west or south and it's a very different story - but not the best tourist destinations for most.

'Nowhere in the north of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales was in the top 50.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20816479

Interesting article/survey.
    I spent the first 14 years of my life in Hart, in Fleet to be precise (by the pond). Incredibly dull with boring landscape. The rest of Hampshire is much more interesting, with much better landscape.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    'Nowhere in the north of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales was in the top 50.'

Of course. Yorkshire has a climate designed to keep out the riff-raff.

Old but gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY4tD2Hbg_A

"Don't talk to me about sophistication, I've been to Leeds"

For the record I love Yorkshire - great scenery, fantastic rock climbing and good beer.
    Last edited by andy tims; 23rd December 2012 at 07:50.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

That's just a load of self-promoting bollxxxx

Re: Yorkshire, when are you coming?...

Reading the comments accompanying the article, Hart is only good if you're middle-aged or older since there nothing to do there except country walks.

Anyone know what the soundtrack to the video is?

Blog Entries
    Heart of Courage by Two Steps From Hell

i only know because it says so in the comments

cheers,mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Heart of Courage by Two Steps From Hell

i only know because it says so in the comments

cheers,mick
    Cheers chum Merry Christmas

Craftsman
    Lancashire is broadly similar, although not as pretty, its dirtier and the people are thicker and uglier...

Yup. Lancashire is where we park our cars.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    One of the best replies I have read in 2012!