closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchen knives - so much choice!

Kitchen knives - so much choice!

Another vote for bespoke made through British blades forum- though you have to be prepared to pay a little more for it- most those guys use O1 carbon steel but some will make you a nice stainless steel knife out of RWL 32 or 12c27 or one of these stainless types with more "edge retention" ability

Journeyman
    I'll throw in another vote for Wusthof.

We have a few from their Classic line that are standing the test of time excellently. Not cheap but not wallet busting either.

Since I bought them I've noticed them being used by a fair few chefs on the tv which can't be a bad thing.

Master
    Buy whatever feels right in your hands, I've tried Global Knives many times but they have never felt right to me.

i don't tend to be brand loyal either - I've got Wusthof, Henkel, Judge, no name, Pampered Chef and a Haiku Santoku knife arrived from Santa this year :)

Whatever you choose buy a good sharpener/steel at the same time to keep your knifes sharp. There's is nothing worse than working with a blunt knife, it's just a waste of money.

I see a lot of TV chefs using Nakiri knives these days, is there any advantage?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I see a lot of TV chefs using Nakiri knives these days, is there any advantage?

Eddie
    Nakiri bōchō (菜切り包丁, translation: knife for cutting greens)

The larger knife is a nakiri. It is a delight to use and makes veg prep an absolute pleasure, but that's probably a combination of the shape, weight and sharpness.

Knife block by Noodlefish, on Flickr

JKC Nakiri by Takayuki by Noodlefish, on Flickr

M
    Last edited by Broussard; 29th December 2012 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Give her 50p to "buy it."

Tradition says you should never gift a blade or it will cut the friendship :)
    That Ltd. Ed knife looks gorgeous!

http://www.kinknives.com/gordon-rams...-170mm-87.aspx

And this comment you have made also is a really interesting tradition! Is it Japanese?

Just found out the knife that has been in our kitchen for the past 25+ years is a Henckel SuperFection!!

Might need to invest in a good sharpener for it, oh and the handle is coming apart too :(

Saw one called a Henkel Miyabi 7000 in Selfridges today and it was so nice!

Have both henckels & global. Would recommend the former over the latter

We've got 3 kai knifes. they were only like £15 each from t-maxx and there very sharp and a great cut. I would really recommend them.
    Ruben.

You won't go far wrong with a decent set of sabatier. In my experience, keeping it sharp makes more difference than the brand though.

Just seen that Kin knives have a sale on: "Happy New Year's Eve everyone! Why not start the new year with a new kin knife! SALE starts now! Discount code 'januarysale' for 20% off!"

Re: Kitchen knives - so much choice!

Link?............

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Link?............
    Www.kinknives.com they've put the discount code above on their Facebook page

Thanks. :)

I'm in Japan right now and my in-laws don't have anything quite as fancy as those Kin knives... Very tempting, but I just got a set of Wustof knives...

there is this guy in brooklyn who makes real nice knifes. i think he is called cut brooklyn or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rubeneski View Post
    there is this guy in brooklyn who makes real nice knifes. i think he is called cut brooklyn or something like that.
    Yup. Cut Brooklyn, I follow them on Twitter. Although their knives aren't quite in the style I tend to buy, I've read good things about them. They tend to post the knives on Twitter first, by the way, so worth keeping an eye on their stream. They also do a good line in butcher's blocks, racks, etc., if you're in the neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    That Ltd. Ed knife looks gorgeous!

http://www.kinknives.com/gordon-rams...-170mm-87.aspx

And this comment you have made also is a really interesting tradition! Is it Japanese?
    I think it is British. I have heard it many times. The approach I know is to hand over the smallest coin in your pocket ...

Whatever you get the knife is only as good as it is sharp and needs to be maintained and sharpened. For most kitchens globals, wusthof and henckels will be perfect but,as with a watch, you need to go somewhere you can hold them to see how it feels. The shape and balance of all brands are different and its a very personal thing. I plumped for globals but my dad (who owns and runs a kitchen shop) tends to use Wusthof.

I was very temped by the Kin's sale but like you say there is nowhere to go and hold one and the one I was interested in is sold out.

Will maybe just pick up a Henckel Miyabi from Selfridges!

Kitchen knives - so much choice!

I brought myself some global knives for carving the Christmas lunch this year and they did the job exceptionally well.

Only time will tell as to how good they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauting View Post
    I brought myself some global knives for carving the Christmas lunch this year and they did the job exceptionally well.

Only time will tell as to how good they really are.
    I've been advised against Global and won't be buying their knives but at least you're happy with yours.

Craftsman
    +1 for Global , i have used them for about 10 years , easy to sharpen with a stone after a little practice.

I've been advised against Global and won't be buying their knives but at least you're happy with yours.
    Quick totting up of scores here shows them to be the most recommended knives on this thread!

I've had a few globals for several years now and cant really fault them there well balanced easy to sharpen and hold a edge if i had to choose just one i would go for the gs-5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/GS5-Global-V.../dp/B00005OL3V its a good all rounder and a good choice to start with so you can make your own mind up if you like there style or not..
    ady

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Quick totting up of scores here shows them to be the most recommended knives on this thread!
    Selfridges told me they got a lot of them returned because of handles snapping off, also labelled them a fashion brand. From what I have seen on the thread I think I would prefer something with japanese influence in its design. No doubt Global are very popular but I guess its a lot down to taste too!

I'm not sure what the warranty is with Global but Henckel carry a lifetime warranty also.

Master
    Selfridges told me they got a lot of them returned because of handles snapping off, also labelled them a fashion brand. From what I have seen on the thread I think I would prefer something with japanese influence in its design. No doubt Global are very popular but I guess its a lot down to taste too! .
    What are people doing to snap the handles off, the mind boggles.

I would recommend going to a decent cookshop and trying a few brands out for balance and fit in your hands. My other half uses a 26cm Wusthof Cooks knife, I hate it as it feels too big and unbalanced in my hands but he likes it. Don't worry too much about the name on the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Global are scarily sharp and maintain their edge when used on proper boards. I use a two double-wheel water sharpener. I built my six-knife collection up over years as money for that sort of thing built up. The only doubt at all would be whether or not you like the feel of them. I must admit I wouldn't use mine to pry open things; I keep a 7" Kitchen Devil Pro for all that sort of stuff.

Global are scarily sharp and maintain their edge when used on proper boards. I use a two double-wheel water sharpener. I built my six-knife collection up over years as money for that sort of thing built up. The only doubt at all would be whether or not you like the feel of them. I must admit I wouldn't use mine to pry open things; I keep a 7" Kitchen Devil Pro for all that sort of stuff.
    We have the same MinoSharp sharpener. A quick whiz in that and the Globals are ready to remove some more of my partner's digits!

I would suggest the Pohl Force Kilo.
    Could also be used for "other" purposes. :-)

(c) Pohl Force homepage

My son's a chef and uses Kai Shun knives....here's the Santoku knife...they're like razors.

...though the real gems are the Kai Shun Ken Onion knives...
    Last edited by RogertheDodger; 3rd January 2013 at 23:36. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
    I would suggest the Pohl Force Kilo.
    Could also be used for "other" purposes. :-)

(c) Pohl Force homepage
    Overkill for carrots, if you see what I mean...

Apprentice
    Go Global, great knives

Just remember, there are different grades of Global...big difference in quality

How does one know which is which?

Master
    How does one know which is which?
    Take a look here, I assume the difference in grades/quality that Andrema refers to is between the G and GF series, the difference being that the GF series are drop forged and are billed as being suitable for use by professional chefs whereas the G series are not and are apparently for more "basic" kitchen use.

IMHO there's nothing basic about anything in the Global range.
    Last edited by MST; 5th January 2013 at 12:13.

Thanks. With their slim blades they are blisteringly sharp yet not flexible.