closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dean's WOTY and why...

Dean's WOTY and why...

Hi

I a recent thread we were asked what is your ?Watch of the Year??

...after some consideration of the watches in my collection (past and present) it was quite easy to work out what watch would take the accolade ?deano?s - Watch of the Year?.

I have banged on about it in a few threads this year, and the winner is (drum roll):

The MMT Blackwater by Bill Yao

For a concise review of the watch please check here:
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23547

I will not repeat the review but focus on why this watch is so special to me. This of course is very subjective and you may not agree, you may totally disagree.! Price here is not an issue and is not taken into account. IMHO a high price does not necessarily warrant a better product.

Anyway why does the MMT ?do it? for me:

1. It has just the right proportions (case, crystal, bezel, dial & hands), which make it a pleasant watch just to look at.

2. It is easily readable: No clutter like sub-dials, date windows, heaven forbid a cyclops on the crystal. No crap on the dial like ?automatic, 10,000m, first watch on the moon & also makes the toast. Its just very simple and understated.

3. It is a really well balanced and easy to wear watch. The low profile makes it easy to wear with any long sleeved garment, no catching on shirt cuffs etc. It's nice to have great big watches, I have two G-s, but its also appealing to have a watch that has a lower profile and sits unobtrusive on the wrist.

Well that about it, just three reasons: look, form & wear-a-bility.!

One final shot of the MMT on a Citizen Promaster Kevlar strap (grey with metal eyelets).

deano

Great choice Dean. :thumbleft:

I have it at the top of my 2007 "to acquire" list. Although, I must see Bill's up-and-coming FF hommage first. :D

Bill certainly makes the best custom watch out there and his attention to detail is second to none.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,
    Todd

Y'know... the more I see of the Blackwater the happier I am that I went for the PRS-18A. Though they are similar in design, I really don't like the looks of the MMT at all.

To each his own I guess - you love your MMT and I love my PRS-18!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean in Canuckistan
    Y'know... the more I see of the Blackwater the happier I am that I went for the PRS-18A. Though they are similar in design, I really don't like the looks of the MMT at all.

Interesting ... as I am leaning the other way round. :(

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

The contour of this watch is just perfect. I love the look!

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    I really liked those but the very minor thing of the bezel profile being different from the original keeps me from getting one.

Original:

Bill's:

Yeah, I know, picky, picky...

Quote Originally Posted by Dean in Canuckistan

Hi Dean

When I get the PRS 18-Q pass around (that's IF I EVER GET IT :twisted: ) I plan on doing a side-by-side review, which has not been done yet. That should be a really good comparison of both watches that I would say are "top of their game".

One thing that Bill has made an option is a square edge bezel, that does change the look of the watch considerably.

But as you say, its each to his own.

Thanks
    deano

It looks good with that Citizen strap - can I ask where you got that from, Dean?

Quote Originally Posted by davide
    It looks good with that Citizen strap - can I ask where you got that from, Dean?
    Citizen.! :o

They are easy to get just contact Citizen UK:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/CUK/English/contact.asp

Give them a call, ask for technical support. They may ask you for the stock number but just say its a Kevlar Promaster strap, 20mm.

It comes in green, black and blue (all semi padded), then grey, non-padded.

I think I have the actual part number for the grey one at home if you come into any trouble ordering it.

It costs about £25 incl shipping and VAT if I remember.

Hope this helps
    deano

Quote Originally Posted by deano42
    When I get the PRS 18-Q pass around (that's IF I EVER GET IT :twisted: ) I plan on doing a side-by-side review, which has not been done yet. That should be a really good comparison of both watches that I would say are "top of their game".

One thing that Bill has made an option is a square edge bezel, that does change the look of the watch considerably.

But as you say, its each to his own.

Thanks
    deano
    Hey Deano,

From the images I've seen, it seems to me that the PRS-18's case is a bit more 'square' at the edges than Bill's Blackwater, which is why I think I prefer it. Really looking forward to that comparison! :thumbright:

deano
    The new high bezel makes it look odd. I can see why it's been done, as people were complaining about the small size ...

Looking forward to the comparison review.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

deano
    The new high bezel makes it look odd. I can see why it's been done, as people were complaining about the small size ...

john
    It was done to make it look more like the PRS-18. :D

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

deano

john

Eddie

I thought you lifted it from Bill? :?:

Or perhaps that was another forum's viewpoint? :P :wink:

The more I look at your watch dean, the more I too, dig that Citizen strap. It looks to be made for that watch! :thumbleft:

Quote Originally Posted by swedeone3

deano

john

Eddie

I thought you lifted it from Bill? :?:

Or perhaps that was another forum's viewpoint? :P :wink:
    You know full well I didn't lift it from Bill Todd, the PRS-18 is a faithful re-edition of the Precista dive watch but the MMT never had the big bezel like Bill has fitted.

You come here to praise Bill's watches and constantly criticise mine and it's wearing a bit thin. Perhaps you would be more at home on Bill's forum?

Eddie

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Ehhhhhhh Eddie?... it was a JOKE. As in hardy har har. Notice the wink I left in my post? Relax a bit and enjoy the holidays. :wink:

Ehhhhhhh Eddie?... it was a JOKE. As in hardy har har. Notice the wink I left in my post? Relax a bit and enjoy the holidays. :wink:
    Ah, all the criticisms were jokes then?

Eddie

Ah, all the criticisms were jokes then?

Eddie

What is this all about Eddie? Criticisms?? :roll:

Haven't we gotten over the fact that the DN was not my cup o' tea yet? I've complimented your watches on countless occasions and even purchased from you! Why are you taking these jabs at me on Christmas Eve for cripes sake? I joked with you in a thread and clearly made sure you knew I was joking by the Emoticions I left. Why so defensive?

Please drop this nonsense.

Grand Master
    I think I have spent a lot of internet time looking at the MMT Blackwater (mainly because the dual dive- and aviation-rated Benrus Types I and II are sort of my "grail watches), and I think that the original "sloped" bezel of the MMT (continuing the gentle curve of the crystal) serves this watch much better than the "tall" bezel as in the Precista.

The "trouble" is that the tall, square bezel has been popularized by the Marathon SAR. I don't doubt that the "tall, square" is easier to manipulate with gloves on (which is presumably the reason why it was chosen by Precista, and later on by Marathon), but it is not faithful to the more "flush" (for lakc of a better word) design of the Benrus.

Having said that, I think Toddd likes stirring things. :? :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I think I have spent a lot of internet time looking at the MMT Blackwater (mainly because the dual dive- and aviation-rated Benrus Types I and II are sort of my "grail watches), and I think that the original "sloped" bezel of the MMT (continuing the gentle curve of the crystal) serves this watch much better than the "tall" bezel as in the Precista.

The "trouble" is that the tall, square bezel has been popularized by the Marathon SAR. I don't doubt that the "tall, square" is easier to manipulate with gloves on (which is presumably the reason why it was chosen by Precista, and later on by Marathon), but it is not faithful to the more "flush" (for lakc of a better word) design of the Benrus.

Merry Christmas to you as well Martin. And by the way, you are dead-wrong. I too should be allowed to make a little fun and clearly phrase it as such, just like everyone else does on the forum. :roll:

Grand Master
    And by the way, you are dead-wrong. I too should be allowed to make a little fun and clearly phrase it as such, just like everyone else does on the forum. :roll:
    In true Christmas spirit, Todd, my comment wasn't meant as a universally negative verdict. :-)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

And by the way, you are dead-wrong. I too should be allowed to make a little fun and clearly phrase it as such, just like everyone else does on the forum. :roll:
    In true Christmas spirit, Todd, my comment wasn't meant as a universally negative verdict. :-)
    :lol: