closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: apps for android?

Re: apps for android?

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s
    Does Juice Defender work for tablets too?

Alex
    If it's Android it should.

Rod

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    If it's Android it should.

Rod
    Indeed it is. Hey, I'll give it a try then. Thanks for the info

Alex

Just to echo what others have said about Swift Key X, it's a great keyboard and half price at the moment.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D
    Just downloaded an app called Airdroid, which allows you to control your phone via a computer. Very quick and so far reliable too. Probably not useful to everyone, but I like it.

OK, I had to bump this thread as this application is so useful, copying to and from the phone and controlling the phone are all done easily via a web interface via WiFi. For lazy people like me, plugging the phone into the laptop is now a thing of the past.

The one i use the most and is the most usefull is lock screen widget , puts an icon on your home screen which locks it, better than fiddling for the button , simple and unmissable

Not an app but a game, Dead Space. Played it through on the ps3 and just picked it up in the android sale for 49p. Was £3.99 last week.

I use Slyde It keyboard now (Had Swift key), Green power Premium (trying it), Boat Browser Mini (better than Opera) FXcamera. Doodle Jump, and rooted Cyanogen Mod 7.

Rod

Thomas Reid

When I started playing with my Dell Streak, I found that using ssh to connect to my server, and using mail/calendar in a a terminal didn't work well. Mostly because the characters were too small. I have access to calendar/mail on an Exhange server, and got an app, TouchDown, that allowed me to use that easily. However, I don't like the idea of using MS software, so I decided to roll my own. Consequently, I setup a contact/calendar server, Davical, on my server. I'm using two Android apps to sync this with my phone, CalDav-sync for the calendar, and CardDav-sync for contacts. They work a charm. (I'm now using Icedove (Thunderbird) + Lightning + SOGO connector for calendar/contacts on my desktops.)

I've set up my server to give me IMAP mail, but as I only have a self-signed certificate, I've not yet tried to get that running on the phone.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D
    Just downloaded an app called Airdroid, which allows you to control your phone via a computer. Very quick and so far reliable too. Probably not useful to everyone, but I like it.

OK, I had to bump this thread as this application is so useful, copying to and from the phone and controlling the phone are all done easily via a web interface via WiFi. For lazy people like me, plugging the phone into the laptop is now a thing of the past.
    I also disovered Airdroid via this thread a couple of months ago. Very slick indeed; brilliant for a free app. Useful for sending texts especially.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    I use Slyde It keyboard now (Had Swift key), Green power Premium (trying it), Boat Browser Mini (better than Opera) FXcamera. Doodle Jump, and rooted Cyanogen Mod 7.

Rod
    CM7 has been brilliant for my Nook Color

Alex

Thomas Reid

Setting up an IMAP server using SSL and getting my Andorid phone to work with it turned out to be much easier than I expected. I think it took all of 30 minutes.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Two of the most useful apps I have on my phone are Audiogalaxy and Evernote. I use them every day. I stream music from my Mac using Audiogalaxy to my Android Phone, Ipad - even the computer at work sometimes.

I also have Evernote on all my machines. It is an absolutely superb application and I use it to record close up photos taken with my phone camera of serial numbers, barcodes, etc. They are there waiting for me on my desktop PC when I return to the offfice.

Haven't bumped this thread for a little while! I just bought GotYa which is a piece of security software that captures an image of anyone trying to access your phone after incorrectly entering an unlock code/swipe and then emails the image to you. Various options for phone location as well, great app, but no remote wipe feature. £2

On my second android phone and my faves so far are:

Firefox - prefer it to Dolphin
    Kindle reader
    eBay
    Lloyds app
    National Rail - more useful than platform announcements
    Sonos
    British Airways - electronic boarding passes
    Flashlight - what is says on the tin
    Powerful switchman - easy way to have wifi, gps, 3g etc switches all in one widget

Some obviously only applicable if you use the relevant products.

Games tend to get played to death and then deleted. Current fave is Tank hero.

Master
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned Google skymap (free) but I find it fascinating. I've also paid for (yes... paid for) an app called Viz Profanisaurus which is so f***ing funny it's not true - a bargain at less than two quid. Other than that there's a few decent free Tetris apps - I use the Classic version whilst sat on the dumper.

Rob

Grand Master
    VideoMixPro

I've just noticed Grand Theft Auto 3 is on offer at 69p again

Another good one is Swipepad. If your home screen is cluttered with app. icons, this app will de-clutter your screen, and make your apps available with a swipe. Works well.

Rod

If your phone is rooted then get
    Titanium Backup - allows you back up apps, settings etc
    Root Call Blocker - blocks unwanted calls without ringing your phone!

Blog Entries
    Hill Climb Racing - a fun little game to waste some time.

Master
    Profile Scheduler - Enables me to set up numerous profiles and schedule when they become active.
    eg When I leave for work automatically the wifi turns off, mobile data turns off, bluetooth turns on to connect to my car.
    When I'm outdoors I manually override the profile and select "Outdoors" the wifi turns off, screen brightness turns to max, mobile data and gps turns on but sync turns off to preserve battery life and reduce data usage.

Does anyone know how I can get the swipe to mute function back on the lock screen?

This seems to have been replaced by swipe for camera on the latest version of Android.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattk View Post
    Does anyone know how I can get the swipe to mute function back on the lock screen?

This seems to have been replaced by swipe for camera on the latest version of Android.
    Mine mutes either by turning it face down or by covering the screen with my hand.
    Think its enabled in motion gestures or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Mine mutes either by turning it face down or by covering the screen with my hand.
    Think its enabled in motion gestures or something like that.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr0s View Post
    Does Juice Defender work for tablets too?

Alex
    The problem I found with JD on my Transformer running Jelly Bean is that it shuts the wi-fi off and it needs to be restarted manually each time you turn it on. That was a pain so I uninstalled it. This is not the case with my Galaxy S3 also running Jelly Bean, though wi-fi does take a second or two to connect when the mobile is turned on.

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, Flipboard - a brilliant app that can bring all your news, social media and rss feeds together. It's like designing your own magazine.

Master
    Flipboard is absolutely fantastic! It used to be iOS only but has been available now on Android for a while.
    Pulse is similar (although executed in a very different manner) and also worth a look

Alex

Master
    There's toomuch to mention it all. Browse through Google Play (their app store) and you'll likely spend several evenings trying out all the free stuff you can find there. Better sėnd some time to read user comments before you install something.
    Personally I have a lot of weather and GPS related stuff on my droid, which is logical for a balloon pilot. Not everyone will need Windspot, three of four major weather services and such. For GPS use I have GPS Essentials in addition to the built-in Google Maps. It can use offline maps that you load simply by panning an area whileyou are on wifi until the tiles you think you need have loaded, after which you can see where you are without a data connection.
    If you are into serious stuff, there is now Kingsoft Office which will let you read and edit MS Office documents - not just Word but also Excel and Powerpoint. It can save them as pdfs and does a good job reading pdfs as well. And free, too.
    Then there is Wifi Manager, a good password manager (Password Safe can use the same database as the PC version, which is very handy), news readers, Avast Security and antivirus, a LED flashlight app, Evernote, a better keyboard of your choice, a better web browser (Opera for instance), a voice recorder, a timer/stopwatch app, some dictionaries, the World Fact Book, a decent file manager... Once you have loaded a few dozen apps you'll basically have your PC in your pocket.

Any reccomendations for a wifi manager? My iPhone switched between my router and wifi extender, based on signal strength, automatically. My S3 does not.

Cheers

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    My favourite app is Timeriffic. It turns different things on/off depending what time it is. For instance, at 10pm mine will automatically go on Silent and the screen brightness will lower to 20% to save battery power. You set these times and levels by yourself. At 6am, they'll return to normal.
    If, for instance, you have a meeting at the same time every week, you can set your phone to go into Silent mode at that time.
    It will also control things like bluetooth and wi-fi. And it's free :bom:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/timeriff...ray.timeriffic
    My phone comes with an assortment of NFC tags.
    There are NFC tags in bedroom, dining table, car and carry on luggage.
    When the phone is placed near the tag, it switches on BlueTooth (motor), goes into 'sleep' mode (bedroom) or mutes any alarms (near dining table), flight mode ...etc

I dont do game apps, but have the following:

-gmail
    -youtube
    -trackID
    -Accuweather
    -NeoReader
    -SkyScanner
    -Booking.com
    -WikiTude
    -Glympse
    -CNN
    -BBC
    -Flipboard
    -PopSci
    -Economist
    -WorldNewsLive24
    -News Republic
    -Time Mobile
    -Pulse
    -USA Today
    -SkyGrid
    -New Scientist
    -RSS News Reader
    -Spiegel
    -Messenger
    -Smart Compass
    -Smart Distance
    -Sound Meter
    -World Nav
    -Drive Safely
    -Super Swiss Army
    -Altimeter
    -Max Unit Converter
    -Auto Call Recorder
    -Avast Mobile Security
    -Lookout
    -Lomo Camera
    -Action Snap
    -Instagram
    -Fish Eye Camera
    -fb.

Radu&Bogdan F

It would be nice if apps could be listed in order of popularity or user rating on Google Play, so you sort through all the hits which, is a bit of pain to be honest

Resurrection time!
    I've found that Quickoffice is every bit as good as Officesuite, and you can create and edit all office files eg Word (docx) Excel and Powerpoint files...and it is free, but for some reason a long way down the apps list on googleplay.

Then the boys toys

Swiss Army Knife
    and
    Super Swiss Army Knife.
    the second one is better, but the first has a great scientific calculator.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    "Tasker" is my favourite app... but then I am a tinkerer.

Thomas Reid
    - Squeezer for controlling my Logitech Media Server software (whole house synced music).
    - anyRemote, which allows me to control computers with my tablet/phone. I use this to control my Raspberries (e.g., shut them down) and my workstation.
    - ownCloud client. Access my ownCloud server for remote sync of files.
    - Business Calendar connects to my ownCloud server as well, using CalDAV-Sync.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    Any reccomendations for a wifi manager? My iPhone switched between my router and wifi extender, based on signal strength, automatically. My S3 does not.

Cheers

Matt
    I use Wifi manager

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...an.WifiManager