timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brands I don't want to own

raymond weil
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Re: Brands I don't want to own

Panerai and Breitling are the first ones that come into my mind.

Rolex for me. I have nothing against the watches themselves, it's just the negative image connotations.

Edit: Though I suppose that I should also include other "bling" associated brands by that token

Craftsman
    While a number of the "fashion" brands listed here hit it spot on for me, its more about size than brand. I would never see myself sporting a watch with a case size over 40mm....no matter how nice the watch, it will look silly on a smaller wrist.

U Boat is the first that jumps to mind, then its the fashion watches like Armani, Boss etc....

Breitling because of their designs

What's wrong with that:

It's one of my favourite watches and one that is never leaving!
    It's just a matter of time...

Frank Muller for being just so damn ugly as well as tat.

Invicta, U-Boat, Romain Jerome.

Craftsman
    Rolex - hate it with a passion. I'm sure I can think of others but in comparison with Rolex, they're almost acceptable.

Journeyman

U Boat ?

So many dislike this brand, I dont own one but are there particular reasons? Last I looked they quite caught my eye.

Scratch that, I mixed it up with SARS.
    Last edited by Jemlok; 8th January 2013 at 07:26. Reason: add context

Quote Originally Posted by m4r10 View Post
    Rolex - hate it with a passion. I'm sure I can think of others but in comparison with Rolex, they're almost acceptable.
    At least you feel passionate about it.

I feel the same way about a few brands.It helps me focus on what i like.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What's wrong with that:

It's one of my favourite watches and one that is never leaving!
    I don't hate it and I certainly wouldn't put Breitling in the category of "Brands I don't want to own" as my personal favourite watch is one, but...

If you ask me that's a little watch in a huge case.

The actual dial and the short hands look like a fairly small watch which has then been padded out with lots of 'bluespace' around it to fit in a larger case.

I'm sure it's a lovely watch in the metal and each to their own (There are many commonly popular watches I don't like and I'm sure many would dislike my own personal favourites), but as you asked, that's why I wouldn't choose your personal watch.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Have Meridian already been mentioned? I thought they would have made more people's lists after the discussion we had about them recently.
    Ah, yes... that would seem to be the only brand I would say I have absolutely no interest in - indeed actively dislike across the range - for the moment at least. Maybe one day, but certainly not today.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't hate it and I certainly wouldn't put Breitling in the category of "Brands I don't want to own" as my personal favourite watch is one, but...If you ask me that's a little watch in a huge case.The actual dial and the short hands look like a fairly small watch which has then been padded out with lots of 'bluespace' around it to fit in a larger case.
    It's a 11.5"' movement in a 42mm case - a very common dive-watch combination indeed.

However, I agree that the hands are rather small and all the stuff around the outside of the date window location makes it look very "inboard". Breitling agrees with you, and fattened the hands a while ago. It also agrees with many about the opinion-dividing bezel, and has now ditched its 30-year-old bezel grip design in favour of something rather more fashionable, harder to operate and less functional (no bezel pip).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    It's a 11.5"' movement in a 42mm case - a very common dive-watch combination indeed.

However, I agree that the hands are rather small and all the stuff around the outside of the date window location makes it look very "inboard". Breitling agrees with you, and fattened the hands a while ago. It also agrees with many about the opinion-dividing bezel, and has now ditched its 30-year-old bezel grip design in favour of something rather more fashionable, harder to operate and less functional (no bezel pip).
    You've described it much more accurately than me, but we're in agreement on the overall effect I think.

As a small diversion, is the '11.5" movement' the circumference of something? I can't see how you can fit 11.5" in 42mm otherwise :)

M.

Skyfall Barbour jacket, Sony Experia T, Omega Bond, infact anything branded Bond, jesus it isnt real.

Hublot because of this.http://www.hublot.com/en_us/watch/ki...295/maradona-2 And the fact they just look naff.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Hublot because of this.http://www.hublot.com/en_us/watch/ki...295/maradona-2 And the fact they just look naff.

I think that should be called The Puerto Banus
    To think somewhere some charlie is wearing one.

Journeyman

Brands I don't want to own

Hublot and Linde Werdelin

Rgds
    Adam

Got to say U-boat... Not crazy about Audemars Piguet either...

Master
    U boat and AP I think for me personally.

Craftsman

Interesting question

Hmm.. I would consider any brand in buying watches - I suppose for me, it's the individual model - but most of the watches I see in the high street are not of interest to me (thank goodness!!)

You've described it much more accurately than me, but we're in agreement on the overall effect I think.

As a small diversion, is the '11.5" movement' the circumference of something? I can't see how you can fit 11.5" in 42mm otherwise :)

M.
    It denotes lignes and it's how a movement is measured. It's actually denoted by 3 of these (') instead of 2. 11.5 lignes is approx 1" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrastapler View Post
    Rolex for me. I have nothing against the watches themselves, it's just the negative image connotations.

Edit: Though I suppose that I should also include other "bling" associated brands by that token
    what's bling about a Sub for example ??? Hardly anyone will ever recognize it's a Rolex and if they do, their into watches...
    I think it's quite sad to be restrained by others opinions....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaim View Post
    Hardly anyone will ever recognize it's a Rolex and if they do, their into watches...
    I'd say it's the other way around, most people will recognize a Rolex, even if they're not into watches. The image they are trying to portray their watches are putting many people off the brand (it certainly had this effect on me).

People are odd about Rolex. I love them, no one ever noticed or cares what I wear.. I wear them because I love the designs. Classics. If you don't try one because of what other people might think your IMHO a bit misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by m4r10 View Post
    I'd say it's the other way around, most people will recognize a Rolex, even if they're not into watches. The image they are trying to portray their watches are putting many people off the brand (it certainly had this effect on me).
    I'd disagree, you would have to be too close to tell what brand watch most people are wearing and you would only recognise the brand if you know watches - most people know watches by name, not looks - "oh it's a Rolex" etc. there are so many Rolex looking watches, including a lot of Seiko's, never mind Steinhart and the other clones.

Basically, if you think a Rolex is a good watch but would never buy one because of the image issue, then you are only buying something because of how you assume other people think - who cares what other people think of your watch?

Buy whatever brand you like - but don't discount some brands just because of what others think about it - discount it because of the way you feel about it.

I don't think they are trying to portray any image - simply trying to keep their brand aspirational.

- - - Updated - - -

Blog Entries
    First brand I can come up with: Cartier. On second thought: a loooooot of other brands, including modern Blancpains (and I really would like to own a vintage one).

Menno

Craftsman
    Bell and ross i think they are Hideous and all look the same also not sure about Frank muller and u boat these are brands i would not own but there are also brands i wont buy.

Tony e

Craftsman
    I am a bit of a never say never guy, although "fashion" brands are unlikely to get a look in, and things that look like kitchen utensils (Graham) are probably in the same boat.
    The thing about people not wanting to own, despite admitting to liking a brand such as Rolex due to how they'll be perceived is odd. I certainly have never bought a watch, nor adjusted what I would wear based on what others would think of me or it. If I like it, that's good enough. Of course, if you just don't like a brand, fair enough.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Jacob and co.p

Rolex for me, I've just never found anything of theirs that I like. Same goes for CW too.

I don't hate it and I certainly wouldn't put Breitling in the category of "Brands I don't want to own" as my personal favourite watch is one, but...

If you ask me that's a little watch in a huge case.

The actual dial and the short hands look like a fairly small watch which has then been padded out with lots of 'bluespace' around it to fit in a larger case.

I'm sure it's a lovely watch in the metal and each to their own (There are many commonly popular watches I don't like and I'm sure many would dislike my own personal favourites), but as you asked, that's why I wouldn't choose your personal watch.

M.
    Maybe this shot shows it better - the outside track is on an angle for the 24hour makers and I think it's one of the best solutions I've seen - head on and close up it makes the inner dial look very small - but I think this pic is more representative and the hands don't look as short in real life;

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Maybe this shot shows it better - the outside track is on an angle for the 24hour makers and I think it's one of the best solutions I've seen - head on and close up it makes the inner dial look very small - but I think this pic is more representative and the hands don't look as short in real life;

I like these. I stupidly sold a very rare Gmt version about 2 years ago! Should have kept it!

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    I like these. I stupidly sold a very rare Gmt version about 2 years ago! Should have kept it!
    They are quite rare - only 100 of each in each series - that one above is exactly the same as mine and they are GMT's. Although it's not a pic of my watch - I think that one is number 38. I own No. 7, which I think has had a few forum owners. Wempe also had 100 made for them - maybe 200 (100 white and 100 black I think).

Last edited by Omegamanic; 10th January 2013 at 22:25.

I'd never spend high-end money on a watch. Below that I wouldn't go near Panerai, Rolex, Breitling.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    right now I am saying meistersinger because the crown just fell off my rarely worn watch

Anything with Limited Edition, or Special Edition written on it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    It denotes lignes and it's how a movement is measured. It's actually denoted by 3 of these (') instead of 2. 11.5 lignes is approx 1" wide.
    Exactly so - in normal text you have to use a double then a single quote (or vice versa) - best I could do :)

Only thing I don't like about the dial of the Superocean GMT is the gold printed logo. I understand they couldn't use the applied white gold one (the 24h hand travels too close to the dial, and would catch on it) but I think a silver logo would have been better. That's being picky, mind.

And those GMT versions are rare. They go for a big premium over the regular Superocean. I once sold a 42mm Superocean (which shares that dial, except for the 24h function) which I regretted having to do. They are as rare as hen's teeth now.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Kobold. Average watches with extraordinary prices that I can't see as justified.

A friend has one that is called something like the black, presumably as they focus on the overly macho navy seals blurb. The face and hands are so dark its really hard to tell the time without the lume.