closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Voltage Optimisers

Master

Voltage Optimisers

Following on from the LED lighting, I'm looking at other ways to save energy.

Anyone here have any direct experience of domestic voltage optimisers like VPhase?

I'm getting conflicting information on them; On the one hand I can understand the theory supporting the energy savings. I can also see the theory behind the suggestion that they don't actually save energy.

SO... Has anyone used one? Have they seen savings?

Mike.

I had a quick look on the IET site, and I think the general consensus was, that the theory is sound but it is very questionable that you would get much of saving. And of course the price £300+VAT!

Craftsman
    On most electricians forums they are seen as a running joke. The theory is great, it just works better in a large commercial environment, which is where is originates from. The Vphase doesn't work with resistive loads and only optimises the first 20amps after which it goes into bypass mode, so negates the unit totally. You would also need to measure your supply voltage to see whether there would be any benefit to installing it, it optimises the voltage to 220v so if your supply is near enough that figure there really isn't any point, yes the supply voltage can fluctuate but not by a great deal unless there is a problem with the substation. Their estimation for install times are completely off as well, they are quoting install times based on perfect conditions, like all existing wiring is to a good standard, main eqipotential bonding is present, the existing consumer unit can accommodate the changes internally to let the unit work correctly etc. if you do end up going for voltage optimisation have a look at the Marshall tufflex voltis unit which is put in line with the consumer unit, much easier to fit and can support a higher load, still think you'll get better energy savings from just using LED lamps everywhere :).
    Last edited by Pennywise; 13th January 2013 at 15:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    On most electricians forums they are seen as a running joke. The theory is great, it just works better in a large commercial environment, which is where is originates from. The Vphase doesn't work with resistive loads and only optimises the first 20amps after which it goes into bypass mode, so negates the unit totally. You would also need to measure your supply voltage to see whether there would be any benefit to installing it, it optimises the voltage to 220v so if your supply is near enough that figure there really isn't any point, yes the supply voltage can fluctuate but not by a great deal unless there is a problem with the substation. Their estimation for install times are completely off as well, they are quoting install times based on perfect conditions, like all existing wiring is to a good standard, main eqipotential bonding is present, the existing consumer unit can accommodate the changes internally to let the unit work correctly etc. if you do end up going for voltage optimisation have a look at the Marshall tufflex voltis unit which is put in line with the consumer unit, much easier to fit and can support a higher load, still think you'll get better energy savings from just using LED lamps everywhere :).
    Well summed up