closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Okay - I get it now!

Okay - I get it now!

I've had three of four Speedy's in the past - all very modern, or relatively modern, variants. I think the oldest was from 1991 and whilst it was my favourite of the bunch (it really did have a lovely patina to the dial) it wasn't enough to make me miss it that much when it went. In fact, every time I've discussed the Speedy with anyone I've always heard the same thing; something along the lines of "it's got to be a stepped dial". I'd seen them in photos and they looked pretty good, but when Paul listed his - an ST145.022 from 1971 - it made an immediate impression because it also had the most lovely faded insert. Actually, it didn't hurt that it was fresh from a service by Mr Potter either. It really did seem like too good an opportunity to miss, so I pounced and was lucky enough to be the first in line.

Now, I'm not an expert when it comes to the Speedmaster but I think I'm right in saying that this reference followed the transitional model (the 145.021?) which featured an applied logo and a slightly different chrono hand (the bottom wasn't flat like this one). Aside from that, I believe that both had the calibre 861 movement and in all other respects were pretty much the same. (Well, obviously the pre-moon had a different caseback.)

Anyway, I'm really blown away by this watch, and think I understand what everyone's been telling me now. There are Speedy's, and then there are Speedy's.

Last edited by learningtofly; 17th January 2013 at 19:31.

Banned
    Great post mate, I am still yet to try a speedie but will one day.

looks absolutely fantastic, the stepped dial certainly adds to it's appeal, gotta love the font of the word "Speedmaster"...

your photography skills aren't to bad either ;-)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Never had a Speedy, nor been tempted. But I have to say that one looks great Tony.

Thanks all. Mart, I'm not sure how much you're into vintage but if you can get your hands on an old one...

I knew you would make it look a lot better than I ever could Tony!

I think the applied logos were actually on the earlier transitional models (circa 1968, which were post-321 movement and therefore did indeed also have 861 movements) but I'm happy to be corrected by someone with more vintage Speedmaster knowledge than me. :)

I'm off to cry now... But at least I know I'll have a decent set of pics for when I have it back off you! ;)

All the best,

Paul

I do miss mine which was of a similar vintage. I'd strongly suggest you try one, Tim. I was ambivalent until I actually had my hands on one and I really don't think pictures (even ones as good as our Tone's) do the Speedy Pro justice. I suspect I'll have another eventually.

Beautiful, love the dial and it looks good on that strap. A keeper (for a while)?!

Good pics too

Nice, Tony. I'd like a 1969 Speedy at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I do miss mine which was of a similar vintage. I'd strongly suggest you try one, Tim. I was ambivalent until I actually had my hands on one and I really don't think pictures (even ones as good as our Tone's) do the Speedy Pro justice. I suspect I'll have another eventually.
    It was a bugger to photograph, Damian - I'll have another go at the weekend. I would say, though, that it looks infinitely better when i just glance at it on my wrist so I agree with you completely.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It was a bugger to photograph, Damian - I'll have another go at the weekend. I would say, though, that it looks infinitely better when i just glance at it on my wrist so I agree with you completely.
    I'm not saying you've done a bad job but I'm yet to see one that really captures how "right" this watch is. I guess the fact that the current model is so close to a 40 year old one (when even Subs have changed massively) tells the story.

Tony sorry but i still don't get it with the Omega Speedy Thing, maybe i need educating! Looks very nice though...

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Tony sorry but i still don't get it with the Omega Speedy Thing, maybe i need educating! Looks very nice though...
    I need to arrange a bit of a get-together, Vince, so you may well get to try this one on.

In other news, I nearly sent you a very important PM, but couldn't quite bring myself to hit the send button

I need to arrange a bit of a get-together, Vince, so you may well get to try this one on.

In other news, I nearly sent you a very important PM, but couldn't quite bring myself to hit the send button
    OOHH now you have me wondering why?:D

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure it will be flipped by that time!

Master
    Here you go Tony, this will help make it right http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ht=speedmaster - all you need then is new dial and hands and you'll be sorted. It'll be like new

Seriously (now that you've probably muttered that I'm an ignorant heathen) congrats on the new incoming and if it turns you to the Speedy, then that's great.

I am a bit of a Speedy fan - but I do like them to be like new - even the old ones

Master
    That looks very nice. Been feeling more and more respect for the speedy pro. One day maybe.......

Perfect. Vintage Speedy's are the way to go when they have a patina like that

Love it tony but the hands don't match the dial IMO.

However, nice photos of a nice watch.

It's a beaut..... very classy indeed but I will not be diverted from my quest for an Apollo 13.

I'm loving the slightly faded bezel, makes modern speedies like mine look a bit "plasticky" if you see what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    I'm loving the slightly faded bezel, makes modern speedies like mine look a bit "plasticky" if you see what I mean...
    Just give it a rub-over with a bit of sandpaper

Okay - I get it now!

Can't go wrong with a Speedy.

Malc

Excellent story Tony with fantastic photos. Always wanted a 69 Speedy myself, especially as it would be a birth year also. I'm inspired!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Ah, so you are the one.... ;)

Master
    Very nice. Whilst the newer Speedmasters are lovely watches, the vintage ones have much more warmth to them IMHO....and you can't beat a stepped dial.

Quote Originally Posted by Coops365 View Post
    Ah, so you are the one.... ;)
    I have your details on file

Master
    nicely done, Tony.

lets say... end of the month? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by esm View Post
    nicely done, Tony.

lets say... end of the month? LOL
    Eric, this is so lovely that it'll be part of my core collection now. That means no short term flipping, probably no medium term flipping, and possibly not even any long term flipping. You can quote me if you like

Yes, very nice. This is the sort of thing that makes me think I do really have a hankering for a Speedy. The step on the dial gives it a nice texture too.

Banned
    It looks the Same as mine except your photos are much better.

Banned

Master
    Lovely Speedy and excellent pictures as usual.

My 1969 transitional is model number ST145.0022-69 with the applied logo and “factory mistake” bezel that reads 220, rather than 200. It too forms the "core" of my collection. I've owned it for four years and don't plan to ever sell it.

I don't get them.
    It's just a matter of time...

Thanks Neil - I clearly need to do a little more homework!

Master
    Very nice Tony. There are two watches that are top of my want list, this - and a ND Sub.

One day, one day.