closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Rolex DSSD?

Master

Thoughts on the Rolex DSSD?

I wondered what owners of the DSSD think of the watch? I tried one on yesterday and its just within the realms of my wrist size, so I'm considering trying one out.

A friend on here backed up my thoughts on the taper of the bracelet from lug to clasp, however the rest of the watch felt very solid and of high quality.

I'm also considering a ceramic submariner or a 16600 sea dweller so any opinions would be great :-)

Also, what price should I be looking to pay on a four or so year old DSSD full set... What would be a flippable price if I decided it wasn't for me?
    Last edited by W44NNE; 17th January 2013 at 21:08.

Master
    hi wayne
    i was after one a while ago but needed to trade or sell to afford it. i know chronomaster has one for £5.9k i think last time i looked.

regards,craig

A deep sea with your requirements could be had for £5500 if you know the right people.

No bovver.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    A deep sea with your requirements could be had for £5500 if you know the right people.

No bovver.
    That doesn't sound bad at all... I guess I don't know the right people though

I think it's a great watch tbh. I know people don't like the taper but it's there to make the watch more comfortable. It has a brilliant clasp and is just a solid watch.

£5500 would be a fantastic price.

You really need to try one - but I think used they are a bit of a bargain - probably worth all of their RRP in real terms when compared to other watches/brands - but then so is an Omega Ploprof.

I'd highly recommend one. I wear mine in rotation, maybe about a week a month - I wear a 16600 about the same amount though and would say there is definitely room for both. If I was new to Rolex I'd either buy the DSSD or the SubC - if I was familiar with the brand I'd be buying a 16600 SD or a old Sub LV.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Great watch, superb quality but too bad for me!

Great solid watch, love mine and wear in rotation with my SD and Sub.

You will not regret it.

There was one in that shop in the exchange off St Ann's square in Manchester city centre, forgot the name. Was quite new, think it was 12-18 months old, full set for £6k.

You'll have to excuse me if I've got the details wrong, as I'm going off memory, which ain't what it used to be.

Malc

Master
    Thanks for the views. I need to find a way of wearing one for an hour or so. I just can't work out if I'm mad to be selling my PO, rather than having this alongside a Rolex DSSD, SD or SUBMARINER.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    There was one in that shop in the exchange off St Ann's square in Manchester city centre, forgot the name. Was quite new, think it was 12-18 months old, full set for £6k.

You'll have to excuse me if I've got the details wrong, as I'm going off memory, which ain't what it used to be.

Malc
    Thanks. I was going to pop in yesterday but missed them by a few mins. I'd prefer to find a nice private sale piece though as £6k sounds like I'd lose a good amount if I flip it.

i think they are great ,and so comfy when sized correctly(remove the extension bit) even toying with downing the sd to get one again

I'm really enamoured with mine. A lot of fuss is made about the size but in reality there are far larger watches. Yes okay it's on the large side compared to a Sub, but a sub is simply too small for my tastes.

As a piece of engineering, they are great.

I just can't get past that stupid bastard inner gas fart ring lettering.

Just saying ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post

Just saying ;-)
    I think it's an inside joke at the factory ;) - that said I never notice it so much on the wrist - possibly because the watch is about a 5th the size of all the pics I see of it on line.

Master
    Big Rolex fan but the DSSD didn't float my boat at all when I tried it on and I don't know why really? The size is big but I like big, the bracelet does taper significantly but so what.....

I just thought it didn't have a wow factor and another one I tried at the time with equal disappointment was the milgauss.

I then tried the ceramic hulk and that was a different story :)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think it's an inside joke at the factory ;) - that said I never notice it so much on the wrist - possibly because the watch is about a 5th the size of all the pics I see of it on line.
    I wore one for 3 or 4 days. I can see the appeal for size, but it just didn't float my boat.
    I think a Daytona is vastly overated and that sits 100 quid less than a Deep Sea. Go figure ;-) .... I hate that phrase !!! Grrrrrrrr ......

On a side note.... What size is your Aqua Terra?

I wore one for 3 or 4 days. I can see the appeal for size, but it just didn't float my boat.
    I think a Daytona is vastly overated and that sits 100 quid less than a Deep Sea. Go figure ;-) .... I hate that phrase !!! Grrrrrrrr ......

On a side note.... What size is your Aqua Terra?
    My Black dial AQ is a 38mm, Blue dial is a 41mm.

Love mine -it is not that big diameter wise maybe a little tall but there are other watches that are just as tall. I think though you do need a reasonable wrist size for it not to look too big.

Craftsman
    Struggled a bit with the taper crap, but still can't bring myself to sell it. If I wore it more often I'd go for the RubberB, but its kept for special occasions (not when I'm likely to fall over drunk!) and is lovely to look at!

all the other Rolex watches have been a little too small for me.

DSSD

Hankered after a Deepsea for a long time, picked one up from SC a few months back. To be honest it's the least favourite Rolex I've owned, just didn't like it at all, sold it after a couple months of ownership but in saying that its all down to taste. One things for sure ,get it at the right price and you won't lose a penny.

It is a bit of a marmite watch. I think there are more that dislike like it, (probably down to its size and weedy bracelet) than are fans however I don't care that I am in the minority.

I had one for six months and really wanted to love it. I found it just too heavy. I have big watches (big pilot) but the deep sea just felt wrong. I ended up thinking of it as a lump of metal. The only way to really know is to get one at a good price and then flip

Banned
    Its a big beautiful (for what it is) watch. No doubting the quality and engineering. Its comfortable on my fairly large wrists.

that said Im not sure its a daily wearer in the sense its a little too big, heavy and tool watch. I picked the SD over the DSSD as a daily wearer and dont regret the decision.

Nothing wrong with owning both of course but for me there are quite a few alternatives that would be higher up the shopping list given they are so close in looks (ie in reality rather than blown up big in a macro shot!)

If you buy watches to wear then i would pass, as a collection item its worth a shot and probably wont cost anything if bought well as noted above.

iirc youve tried a SD and a few other divers of note and seem not to have found "the one" so perhaps you should give this one a whirl. Another suggestion to chew on is the classic IWC 3536.

I spent a happy morning not solong ago trying on all the sports Rolex models. The one I most fancied was the DSSD but on the wrist it was just too big and clunky - massive bugger!

Bought a new ND Sub in the end.

IMO the best built watch for the price...

Clasp/glide lock is the best I've tried. Feels a lot sturdier than my Daytona! My wrist is only 6.5 but still managed to look good! But I am a panerai guy....so 44mm + is "standard" for me :)

Extremely well-made, technically brilliant, but pointless for actually wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post

Bit like having badges on the back of your car telling the world,,,
    TURBO ABS AIRBAG HEATED SEATS SE very popular in China i gather.
    Just my humble opinion.

Sits too high on the wrist in my opinion. Makes the bracelet look too small too.

Master
    A bit too thick IMO, but you have to admire the engineering. For that sort of cash, I would prefer to get a Tudor Pelagos and a "proper" Sea Dweller 16600.

Craftsman
    When I finally decided I was going to get a Rolex, my first thought was to try to find a nice Daytona. However, when I tried one on I was completely underwhelmed. Dial was just too small and busy for me (may be because I also own and frequently wear a Panerai). Was about to leave the store when I saw a DSSD in the case. Put it on and it was love at first sight. As someone whose owned one for 2-3 years now I have the following observations:

(i) the watch is incredibly solid and well put together;

(ii) it is the most accurate mechanical I own (loses 2-3 seconds a day);

(iii) for me the writing on the inner ring is a non-issue - it is far less noticeable in the flesh than in most pictures;

(iv) as someone who also owns a Panerai and likes larger watches, the watch face is the perfect size and I really wouldn't want something much smaller;

(v) the case is very thick and is honestly more of an issue than the watch's diameter;

(vi) the watch is heavy;

(vii) the glidelock system on the bracelet is fantastic and enables you to adjust the watch for a perfect fit.

For me the ability to adjust the watch so it sits perfectly flush on my wrist makes it a comfortable watch for daily wear, despite its thickness and weight. The watch basically becomes one with your wrist. But for this feature, the weight and height of this watch would probably drive me nuts. But because the bracelet is capable of virtually infinite adjustment, I don't find this an issue at all.

One final point, from someone who flips between a couple of automatic watches, the auto-wind of the Rolex is top notch. 4-5 hours on the wrist is usually sufficient to keep it running for the next 24 hours. None of my other automatics wind that efficiently.

Swings and roundabouts - because some people have worries over the size/bracelet, they come up at relatively low prices for the tech you get. But then when it comes to selling, you'd have buyers with exactly the same concerns.

Great watch...

I've had mine for a few year's now and it has been my beater ever since , it's built exceptionally well and can withstand pretty much everything i throw at it without looking like it has been through the wars.

It does divide opinion over the bracelet taper , size etc but to be honest you dont realize any of these after a while of wearing it (never got the issue with the taper anyway).

As long as you dont mind the height and the weight (it is heavy)i cant see you being disappointed , if these are an issue go for the SubC.

Best of luck and here is a pic of mine to help you on :)

Banned
    These are not for me, a very well made watch, but I've never been all that taken with the size of it, especially the height.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JMW View Post
    I've had mine for a few year's now and it has been my beater ever since , it's built exceptionally well and can withstand pretty much everything i throw at it without looking like it has been through the wars.

It does divide opinion over the bracelet taper , size etc but to be honest you dont realize any of these after a while of wearing it (never got the issue with the taper anyway).

As long as you dont mind the height and the weight (it is heavy)i cant see you being disappointed , if these are an issue go for the SubC.

Best of luck and here is a pic of mine to help you on :)

Well you have a similar carto me by the looks of things so that's exactly how it'd look when I'm driving :-D Someone has been in touch on here today so I'm seeing if we can sort anything.

Otherwise, I've found one at a dealer but I'm going to be too busy to sort anything with them for a few days (over the phone and getting to them etc).

Grand Master
    It looked bad when it was first released......and it still looks bad. The proportions are all wrong, far too tall, makes the bracelet look thin........a great watch for deep sea diving etc but aesthtically a bit of a disaster. Unless you've got wrists like a bear It'll look wrong, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself otherwise.

Compare it to a Sub ceramic a 16610, a 14060 and regain your sanity.

Paul

Craftsman

Engineering is second to none....

But when I tried one on in the dealers, I found it too heavy and thick for my wrists...

Craftsman
    Love mine but i have huge wrists and like many others i'm also a Panerai fan. Daytona, Sub Sd all been had and sold on as just too small. Really good solid watch with nice presence. Once i get a strap changing tool i'm going to pare down an Omega PO rubber and try it on that as i wear it a lot and don't want to trash the bracelet.

Niall

Just saying ;-)
    +1

but not as bad as the yachtmaster II at least... I mean why put the name on the bezel, is in case you forget?

I think that most of what is said about the DSSD applies - both good and bad.

It is certainly a well engineered bit of kit (and a feat of technology), the writing is not that noticable in real life, and if you've got big wrists, it's a great looking watch.

The downsides are also justifiable - the writing still isn't necessary (it's supposedly the ultimate diving tool, so it needs to be simpler), the case is very thick - too thick for anyone with small-medium wrists, and it needs a wider bracelet - it looks very head-heavy.

On balance, most of the negatives aren't deal-breaker's - it's a great watch, and I really wanted to want one, but it's simply too big for me and that is a deal-breaker.

I love the look and the styling but when I tried it on it sat very high on the wrist. So no DSSD for me!! :-(

Quote Originally Posted by t72 View Post
    I love the look and the styling but when I tried it on it sat very high on the wrist. So no DSSD for me!! :-(
    ...same here, and the weight was just too much to be comfortable for me....much prefer my Sub or SD as a daily wearer...

Blog Entries
    I went for DSSD when they first came out, loved the watch and looks but couldn't live with the thickness of it under shirt cuffs.

I think everythings been said really. Incredibly well-engineered but rather heavy for everyday wear and a little too large for the average wrist (as some pics show).
    If I found 6 grand in my shoe one morning after a drunken night out Id buy a DSSD - JUST TO SIT LISTENING TO THE BEZEL TURNING!!! - its that well-made, but for an overall better watch, and possibly the best diver ever, save yourself some bother and buy a seadweller.

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Big Rolex fan but the DSSD didn't float my boat at all when I tried it on and I don't know why really? The size is big but I like big, the bracelet does taper significantly but so what.....

I just thought it didn't have a wow factor and another one I tried at the time with equal disappointment was the milgauss.

I then tried the ceramic hulk and that was a different story :)
    I was with my brother and a friend looking at watches just after the DSSD came out. Two of us wearing subs, the other a Panerai. We all tried the DSSD on (my brother and his mate both planned to buy a new watch that day) all shrugged and passed it back to the salesman. 'Everyone does that. We've got a few in stock and nobody seems to like them. Personally I think it's a real come down from the Seadweller'
    I haven't changed my mind, and I've seen a few 'in the wild' now. Not horrible, just a bit 'meh' - if I want a big watch I'd prefer a 44mm Panerai.
    Oh, and this was just after launch, £4 or 5k new at the time I think? I can't imagine the price of a new one now?

Just saying ;-)
    plus one!!

Craftsman
    There is one on turf for £5795 and I'm sure there's one on ph for similar money

Master

DEEP SEA

Wayne if you can buy one at sensible money try one,they really are a class act and i was a hater of these till i tried one myself .

Like i say if you can buy one at the right money the worst thing that can happen is just let it go ,as i don t think you ll have too much trouble in getting rid of it .

I tried one on last year. The bracelet left something to be desired, and the text does bother me. I think I'd rather spring for a sub.

I've got puny wrists at around 6.5 inches, but my DSSD feels 'right' to me. When I'm wearing something else I'm usually hankering after putting the DSSD back on!

It does sit tall and top heavy, but the bracelet controls it ok and is not a 'large' watch on the wrist.

Master

Re: Thoughts on the Rolex DSSD?

Too top heavy due to the thin bracelet. Give it a 22mm width and it would sit much better.