closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just ordered an SBGM023 (GS)

Just ordered an SBGM023 (GS)

I must be crazy; I've never spent this much on a watch before.

A 40% discount in the January sale, this being one of my aspirational watches, and UK supplied with all duty paid made it too good to miss. It was in the Jura / CW Sellors sale.

2012 was a tough year. In November my long-term partner, walked out on me without an explanation followed by myself being put on notice of redundancy. Having been through this before, I've come to the conclusion that women just do what they want to do. I had had some forewarning about the redundancy and so in 2012 had already battened down all the hatches and had been squirreling away in preparation for the inevitable, which then in December fortunately did not happen. So with only myself to look after now, I blew the dust off the credit card and pulled the trigger.

I'll post some pics when it arrives (though I'm not the best photographer in the world so don't get too excited).

Best regards
    Last edited by AKM; 13th January 2013 at 11:29.

Upwards and onwards - it pays to spoil yourself every once in a while.
    It's just a matter of time...

Excellent choice, glad the new year is getting off to a great start for you.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Things are going OK this year, I seem to have more energy and time to get on with what I want to do.

RE the GS, I've been eyeing these up for ages and paid a car loan off last year with the intention of freeing up cash to spend on watches - got to get your priorities straight.

Master
    Very nice. I aspire to owning a GS one as well. Looking forward to the photos.

Banned
    It's a good looking watch, and at 40% off, even a GS sceptic like me could be tempted.

Blog Entries
    Congrat! Love that dial!

You'll love it, they are fantastic watches and really well finished. A nice treat after what you've been through - I love mine

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    It's a good looking watch, and at 40% off, even a GS sceptic like me could be tempted.
    I just wish the branding was sorted - if you crop the picture of the watch and look at the top half of the watch only - it could be from any Seiko range. only the finish make it stand apart from their cheaper offerings - at the right price they are a great watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

I wonder why these aren't listed in the sale on their website?

Absolute beauty, it's nice to spoil yourself once in a while. And why not? I look forward to the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    oh yeah! I clicked on 'all sale watches' and then clicked on Brand on the left and there are no GS there.

I also considered the titanium SBGR059 which was a similar price; it was there on Saturday night but by Sunday morning it had gone.

In the past I've posted when i've found good offers but I kept silent this time while I made my mind up.

I'm hoping it wears OK on a 6.5" wrist. I also have a Longines Master GMT which despite being a beautiful watch, I have gone off a bit as I find that it wears a bit small and looks almost dainty, GMT watches with lots of numbers can appear to have smaller dials.

Go for it mate. I was in a similar position. You only have one life. Live it.... Great watch BTW

Nice one. Really fancy one if those as well.

Malc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    oh yeah! I clicked on 'all sale watches' and then clicked on Brand on the left and there are no GS there.
    Odd that it's not included in the sale listing. Well hidden!

Good move.
    Excellent watch and I am sure things will all look a bit brighter with that on your wrist.

Congrats.

Great watch, Jura had it in their sale from day one but it disappeared from the sale, I saw it come back but it went very quickly ... Now I know where it has gone :)

I was looking at the Grand Seiko SBGR059J that they had for £3k, procrastinated for too long.

Great watches, enjoy your GMT

It's a great watch and massively understated in terms of quality. Hope 2013 brings you good fortune!!

A beautiful piece and should keep a smile on your face for a very long time.. congrats!

Is that the same dial like this?

Banned
    Congrats to the OP, and as others have said, onwards & upwards.

On a side note - I know nothing about these apart from the odd pic/discussion on here.. and OMFG, how much? I genuinely had no idea these were in that price bracket.

Blog Entries
    Bingo! This is the best looking GS. Personally, I don't like the extra hand on a spring drive dial'ed GS. This Automatic ticks all the boxes for me.

About 20 y/ago is was in a similar position like you. And financially in a bad position. Everybody told me to sell my classic cars to raise money. I didn't sell them, kept on struggling for over a year (financially and mentally) and then things picked up again. And until this day, I'm happy I didn't sell my cars. I think that if I had sold them, my mental status would have gone downhill. Keeping my classics was the start of my recovery. Perhaps it's the same with the GS: it's a signal of picking up the pace again.

Enjoy it and wear it in good health!!

Menno

Congratulations AKM. A friend in Japan treated himself to that same model last year and I was able to try it on when I visited in Dec. Absolute classic look, stunning dial, I am jealous!

Tried one at Jura last year. Utterly beautiful watch, congrats!

Blog Entries
    Lovely piece!
    You couldn't have made a better choice to treat yourself.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Do we get any arrival pics?

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Do we get any arrival pics?
    Yes you do.

Not a patch on everyone elses pics but here goes:

As you can see I put it straight on a black alligator pending the arrival of a brown one and the GS deployant clasp. The bracelet is lovely and really suits the watch but a strap is more practical and low key for work. The watch is ex-display with some very minor marks but I'm not concerned as I intend to wear it and get my money's worth.

In many ways it reminds me of my vintage connie only up-sized and made of modern materials. The hour indices really sparkle on this watch, there was a jaw dropping reaction by the first person I showed it to and she isn't interested in watches.

The movement finish is absolutely surreal, I know there's no anglage but the stripes appear almost holographically printed-on they are so neat. Accuracy is a little odd, it was running with hardly any deviation and then had a day where it gained 11 seconds in as many hours but it seems to have slowed down again today. I'll have a clearer idea after a few more days when it's run in a bit. Reading the instructions they set them to be -1 to +10 per day so they obviously lean towards the fast side.

I like it, it feels very solid and very classic. I can't wait to get a decent strap combo.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

PS been a bit busy last week, the unexpected weather plus a lot of travel wasn't ideal.

Stunning watch, congratulations!

Absolutely beautiful. The dial is gorgeous and the quality of finish on the dial and hands is incredible. Enjoy!

Journeyman
    What a superbly elegant watch this is. Stunning dial and 'basic' design, very special, very Grand Seiko... Wouldn't mind getting one myself, I'd wear it with great pride.

Excellent choice, congratulations!

Congrats - very nice addition.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Stun-ning! Wear it in good health!

Menno

Blog Entries
    Love it! Congrats!

Cool - Me Likely!