closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ouch, Rolex service again.

Blog Entries

Ouch, Rolex service again.

Following a fall onto a tiled floor a bit of TLC is required, must admit to being more than a little shocked at the estimate.

Let's hope the insurance make good.

I'm surprised the new sapphire crystal is so cheap!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Are those original diamonds lost???

Master
    Unfortunately Rolex charges a fortune for the diamond dial and I told them to shove it last time! The enamel on my dial is slightly cracked and they will not put it back on the watch. So I opt for a plain dial but that still cost me about £200+ if I remember correctly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    Rolex insists on a new dial and will not refurbish mine. So it is take it or leave it! They did return the dial with the diamonds in place.

Master
    That is because they insist on a full service to replace the crystal. At least that was the case few years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    I have asked if this includes a rebate for the old dial, no answer yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    That is because they insist on a full service to replace the crystal. At least that was the case few years ago.
    No it's because the crystal isn't that expensive to make.

They insist on a full service for drops or crystal damage in case small shards come into contact with the movement.

the dial price sounds crazy, but if you will have diamonds.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Being honest the service cost and the crystal replacement are fine , but the dial is taking the mickey

Re: Ouch, Rolex service again.

Rolex insists on a new dial and will not refurbish mine. So it is take it or leave it! They did return the dial with the diamonds in place.
    So you could have it refurbed elsewhere..?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    So you could have it refurbed elsewhere..?
    Thanks, I have always thought of doing that but never got round to it. So if anyone knows of someone good let me know. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

They insist on a full service for drops or crystal damage in case small shards come into contact with the movement.
    I know about the service being required by Rolex....but I'm still surprised it is only £80 for the crystal, even though it's not expensive to make....I doubt a bracelet is expensive to make but they still charge a grand for one.

What is the matter with the dial, is it cracked? If this is the case, why do you have to have a whole new dial and new diamonds?

Grand Master
    Last Daytona crystal I had replaced was £67!
    RIAC

Re: Ouch, Rolex service again.

Thanks, I have always thought of doing that but never got round to it. So if anyone knows of someone good let me know. Cheers.
    http://www.davidbill.co.uk/ seem to have a good reputation for quality work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

the dial price sounds crazy, but if you will have diamonds.
    Makes sense but in my case it was a small chip on the outside of the crystal when i must have knocked it against something! The watch is running fine but it was no service no new crystal!

Blog Entries
    I know about the service being required by Rolex....but I'm still surprised it is only £80 for the crystal, even though it's not expensive to make....I doubt a bracelet is expensive to make but they still charge a grand for one.

What is the matter with the dial, is it cracked? If this is the case, why do you have to have a whole new dial and new diamonds?
    The dial is only scratched , not cracked.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    I have asked if this includes a rebate for the old dial, no answer yet.
    You will find the answer is no, from my last experience. I think they are interested in making money and happily sell you a new dial with diamond markers but will not give you anything for yours. Don't ask me why!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    The dial is only scratched , not cracked.
    Sounds very similar to my situation. I could see no problem with the dial when I sent the watch into Rolex but when they open it up there was a small crack on the edge of the dial and hairline cracks in the enamel. Don't know whether opening the watch may be partly responsible but a hefty bill was quoted for all the works.

Master
    I apologize for hijacking this thread but it brought some old memory. My father had a nice white gold day date Rolex which he loved and looked after and was given to me after he passed away 7 years ago. He wore it quite a bit and it required a bit of TLC. So off it went to Rolex UK and I was quoted a similar bill for service, crystal and dial. I did not have the money then and did what I can to restore it. It has a different dial and I have to buy an extra link so that it will fit my wrist. I still have the original dial, day and date disks and hands but somehow I felt that they have violated the watch and my memory associated with it.

I am sure that some of you had a similar experience in that they try to service and restore a watch to how they think it should be, rather than how you want it!

thats crazy price you could pick up something amazing on the SC from that :)

(prob not so much diamonds thou)

If it helps the OP, I'm crying the finest tears of gold and precious stones for him. Are you surprised that a luxury item from a luxury manufacturer should cost a lot of money? Look, get it serviced at an independent, or pay up and look big.

Or answer me this question. What's the price differential between two Rolexes, identical except that one has a diamond dial?

Use Duncan or Bill, sure they won't twist your arm to buy a replacement dial.

Amazingly this is less than an Breitling one (£122.70 incl. UK VAT at 20%) .....

Ouch, Rolex service again.

I've never understood the 'value' of diamonds. Look like glass chips to me and I'd never want them on a watch dial. When I bought rings for my wife and there was all that talk of diamond quality and inclusions etc I was thinking 'all that money and I'm sure the £100 ones in Argos look the same'! - just stuck on a nice plain dial, sell the diamonds separately or as part of the dial and job done. Or get the diamonds made into earrings or a ring and give it to your wife/GF.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mantaray View Post
    Amazingly this is less than an Breitling one (£122.70 incl. UK VAT at 20%) .....
    The Breitling one has far superior anti-reflective coating, the best I have seen so far tbh. Far better than rolex, jlc, or APs that I had.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    The Breitling one has far superior anti-reflective coating, the best I have seen so far tbh. Far better than rolex, jlc, or APs that I had.
    +1, the breit' coating makes you forget there's a glass...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I've never understood the 'value' of diamonds. Look like glass chips to me and I'd never want them on a watch dial. When I bought rings for my wife and there was all that talk of diamond quality and inclusions etc I was thinking 'all that money and I'm sure the £100 ones in Argos look the same'! - just stuck on a nice plain dial, sell the diamonds separately or as part of the dial and job done. Or get the diamonds made into earrings or a ring and give it to your wife/GF.
    I agree, don't think the diamonds will cost Rolex much. They are getting away with it!

Can you make an accidental damage claim against your home insurance? They may even replace the watch if deemed uneconomical to repair.

Craftsman
    I apologize for hijacking this thread but it brought some old memory. My father had a nice white gold day date Rolex which he loved and looked after and was given to me after he passed away 7 years ago. He wore it quite a bit and it required a bit of TLC. So off it went to Rolex UK and I was quoted a similar bill for service, crystal and dial. I did not have the money then and did what I can to restore it. It has a different dial and I have to buy an extra link so that it will fit my wrist. I still have the original dial, day and date disks and hands but somehow I felt that they have violated the watch and my memory associated with it.

I am sure that some of you had a similar experience in that they try to service and restore a watch to how they think it should be, rather than how you want it!
    there have been a few unhappy people about the rolex service.... to be fair to rolex, you are pretty much getting back a watch in as-new condition. the car analogy again.... ferrari service costs are far more expensive than ford, also a new set of tyres gonna cost a fortune for the ferrari compared to a ford!

re the dial, it does sound like rolex have you by the goolies and given them a almighty squeeze. probably more cost effective to get a std dial and a service with the old dial returned and then get a watchmaker to swap the dial after service if the dial is still in okay condition. bearing that in mind, next time it comes to service probably want to put the std in or you go through all that hassle again.

It might be worth speaking to Tring Watch Doctor. I understand they have a good reputation around Rolex.

A