closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ever-changing looks of my Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich

The ever-changing looks of my Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich

I'm sure most would agree, the Omega Speedmaster Pro is somewhat a classic, but what is the classic look for your Speedy? That's certainly up for debate, if not between members, it is in my mind. It rarely stays the same.

I guess it will always be loved as intended, on the bracelet:

But it doesn't stop me from changing the strap on an almost daily basis.

The Nato is actually my least favourite, but it works on a utilitarian level:

I guess a black, rather than Bond Nato is the way to do it properly.

However, if you want Nylon, my purchase of a GasGasBones SPV2 is the ultimate toolish, casual look:

Following on from the above, I couldn't help but order an SPV1 in Desert Tan from Carl:

Both, so comfortable for everyday wear.

Leather can't be discounted though, and there are little better value options than the Di Modell Rallye:

The Rallye works so well on a Speedy, and knowing brown works too, here's my chocolate brown Di Modell Rallye with contrasting white stitching:

Then there is the dressy side of things. Is the Speedy a tool watch, or can the expensive options of OEM Alligator and Deployant smarten it up significantly? I think so...

This being the OEM black Omega 98000215 Black Alligator, complete with 94521813 Deployant:

With the above combination, I essentially change my Speedmaster 3573.50.00 in to what Omega sell and market as the 3873.50.31.

And, one of my true favourites, the OEM Omega 98000153 Brown Alligator, again with 94521813 Deployant:

EDIT: The final update? I don't see how I could need anymore straps now, but my Speedy currently lives on the latest addition...

Making the Black Di Modell Rallye redundant, the OEM Omega 98000024 Rally Strap (Black Padded Calf w/ Holes as Omega call it) with 94521813 Deployant, complete with curved ends:

That's my lot, no more options required. I can live with the Nato, but the other options, I can't live without. Is the Speedy just made to be changed?
    Last edited by RossC; 28th January 2016 at 15:28.

Re: The ever-changing looks of my Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich

I think you've just proven the reason for the long lasting production of the speedy - almost unchanged - it's the watch for everyman.

It's such a versatile piece, with the 1171, NATO, brown leather / deployant, black leather / deployant and rallye I have a watch for pretty much any occasion. Love mine and would never part with it...it's a birth year too :mrgreen:

Great pics Ross, they really are very versatile, goes amazingly well on brown straps!

Quote Originally Posted by simes
    I think you've just proven the reason for the long lasting production of the speedy - almost unchanged - it's the watch for everyman.
    +1.........and for every season and event...

I removed the bracelet from mine as soon as I had it out of the box, swing-tag still attached. To my mind, it looks very slightly glitzy and 'hides' the lugs, emphasising instead the roundness of the dial.

The Di-Modell Rallye is a natural fit, but I went for a Di-Modell Dakar -

^ The Di Modell Saddle Dakar looks cracking. At one stage, I had the Hirsch equivalent (Hirsch Professional, I think?) but the OEM buckle didn't work that well and hadn't realised Di Modell had an equivalent.

I'll need to look in to that now :)

This thread is killing me! Having craved one for 10 years I finally bought my first Speedmaster an agonising 9 days ago but it still hasn't arrived from the US :(

Yours is beautiful on the bracelet, nato and croc leather. I'll be buying a brown croc leather for mine - some day :( :(

The Speedy is indeed one of those watches that looks good on a wide range of strap / bracelet options.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by RossC
    ^ The Di Modell Saddle Dakar looks cracking. At one stage, I had the Hirsch equivalent (Hirsch Professional, I think?) but the OEM buckle didn't work that well and hadn't realised Di Modell had an equivalent.

I'll need to look in to that now :)
    And you've had me looking at brown options. :wink:

Loving it on the Alligator... And the "Approved by NASA"-velcro is pretty cool as well..

Amazing how much you can change with a strap. I love how it's almost like getting a new watch :D

I inspired myself to take another picture of it on the Di-Modell Dakar -

Updated with my latest SPV1 from Carl and a new Brown Rallye :)

Blog Entries

Fantastic pics, love the gasgasbones strap 8)
    I'd love to put my Meteorite Speedy on that black version.........

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

You just need a mesh, then you've the full set !

Not keen on the leather options tbh, but the GGBs are ace 8)

Change is good in this case!

The final update - I think

With my latest addition of the Omega Rally, that's 9 different combo's that really work. One to suit every situation and budget, from the £10 Nato for casual wear, all the way up to the understated elegance of an OEM Alligator w/ Deployant combination at an eye watering £300+ price tag.

My Bergeon 6767 is fair getting a work out these days

Absolutely LOVE that Omega Rally with curved ends, Ross - possibly the best match I've seen outside of a bracelet!

Thanks Tony

It's certainly the one getting the most use at the moment.

Ross, is that the strap that doesn't quite sit flush with the case? I think I read somewhere that the Hirsch fits better straight out of the packet.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    Ross, is that the strap that doesn't quite sit flush with the case? I think I read somewhere that the Hirsch fits better straight out of the packet.
    It didnt fit quite as tight to the head as I expected, there was a very small gap. As previously in the original thread:

Quote Originally Posted by RossC
    My first port of call was to check the spring bars, and sure enough, they were smaller diameter than OEM Omega at 1.5mm - I'd obviously fitted them by mistake. My OEM spring bars at 1.8mm were in my watch case and once I fitted them, it made a noticeable difference. Still not quite as close as I'd like, but it did the job. The spring bars were already tight in the pre-drilled strap holes, so I couldn't buy larger diameter bars (not that any are readily available unless you buy seiko fat bars) so I tried to think how I could "pack out" the curved ends. I had some black vinyl adhesive lying around, so cut a few small thin strips to stick to the inside of the curved ends, essentially sandwiching the strips between strap and the watch head. Worked like a charm. It's totally invisible as you can see from the pics, and packed out the curved ends the fractions of millimetres required. Anybody with the same problem could do this with something as rudimentary as thin strips of sellotape or insulation tape if you don't have any vinyl adhesive kicking about.
    It's incredible that for such an expensive OEM strap, I had to bodge it, but the bodge is perfect and I guess not everyone would even bother, perhaps Omega designed it to have a small gap to allow more flexibility with light movement?
    It's now as tight as you expect, and while you may have read that a Hirsch fits better out the box, show me a perforated rally deployant strap from Hirsch
    nevermind one with this quality. I once had a Hirsch mock-croc and was disappointed with the quality, even though the curved ends were quite good.

Such a versatile watch - a must-have in my book

The Omega OEM rally looks the biz.

Banned
    how i have mine

i had blackend this jumbo,i cleaned it of and polished it with some good polish and now i like the old look it has.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Nice - that's the sapphire version, right? That's the version I prefer, although a bit more WR (not difficult to achieve I'm sure) would have been nice.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Great pictures!!

I have both of mine (the brown is a sandwich) on Hirsch Medici, Leonardo fitting.

Turns a great watch into a comfortable great watch IMHO

I have never liked bracelets but for me the Nato at the top is the best look! You cannot beat Natos'.....quite like the vintage brown leather option though.

Such a versatile watch. Love the pics...

That's the one, just perfect. Makes me want another Speedy even more...

Thanks Tony

Steel bracelet for me. It looks good on them all though.

Thanks Tony

Looks great with this strap.

Journeyman
    Looks great with all the straps.

Great thread. My personal choice would be the OEM brown alligator. Good for suit and casual :-)

Craftsman

Exclamation

Some great info here thanks guys
    John

Got mine on a black Di Modell Rallye. Looks great.

Some great pictures, i only wear mine on the original bracelet but im thinking about a change, what are the GasGasBones nylon straps like to wear ?
    I like my sub on a nato but the GasGasBones look a bit bulkier ?

Craftsman
    What a great thread....After not liking the Speedy for a long time, I now have a craving for the Speedy Pro and if I can sell my 2500 PO will then acquire one.

Love the Gas Gas bones desert strap....any chance of a wrist shot anyone?

Nice to see so many strap options in a single thread. I'm hoping to get a Speedy Pro later this year and I like the fact it looks good on so many straps. The curved ends of the OEM look good. Thanks for posting.

Great post. My favourite is the OEM Rallye with deployant combo. Just magnificent!

Holy thread resurrection, Batman.

This is a year old, but I hope it still helps the odd member find the right strap for them...

Well, as is it's been ressucitated, Ross...

One of my favourite ever watches, and whilst I've had a few this one is genuinely a keeper. I'm not a bracelet man, and particularly didn't like it with a vintage 1171 I bought for it. Having been a big fan of the Speedy + DM Rallye in the past, my default strap choice these days is the Omega Croc in the photo below.

I do like it a lot on a tan/sand GGB too, and also on a black NATO with sand stripes that seems to go with any watch showing a bit of patina.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 16th May 2013 at 17:19.

Master
    I think it looks the best on the black croc, its a stunning piece. One which I have never had the pleasure of owning but do plan to get one day!

on a 1450 with 808 end links....................although tempted by a black croc....at times :)

Last edited by shaney; 16th May 2013 at 18:31.

Blog Entries
    1450 and di modell rallye are my winners /especially di modell as I am wearing my Speedy Pro on it.

The Nato is actually my least favourite, but it works on a utilitarian level:

I'm not a fan of Natos, but I have to say I think that works really well.

NATOs can look the dogs (admittedly on a slightly more esoteric reference)...

Master
    I didn't realise it was so versatile... love the desert tan look!

The 1450/808 combo is very good. A quick search has just revealed that it commands silly prices though. I mean, really silly prices.

Craftsman
    definitely a very versatile watch. love the look of it on the strap with deployment

Great photos! It just goes to show how versatile the speedy is. My favourite is definitely the OEM rallye, it looks fantastic :-)