closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for a con man!!

Wink Looking for a con man!!

Does anyone have the ability to search for someones address and phone number when they are ex directory? I've been bumped out of a few hundred quid and although it's not a massive amount of money, it's more to do with the manner in which it occurred. He was having a good laugh about it and I'm now in the "whatever it takes" state of mind!! I've tried tracking him down but it always ends up at business addresses, most of which he's already departed from.

So if anyone can help

His name is Mich ael Hea vey and his wife is Car ole J Hea vey (the gaps should keep this out of any random searches?) and I believe they live in East Wemyss, Fife.

I know some of you will advise me to let it go, but for now the heart is winning over the head!

Thanks
    Nick

Just to confirm - "whatever it takes" I don't intend to storm his house mob handed etc, etc. No violence will occur!!

Looking for a con man!!

A private detective will increase your chances of tracking him down. Not worth it IMO though.

192.com ?

192.com can throw up info, need to join though I think.

TBH you could spend hours over this, consider if worth the bother!

Search for information on his companies (eg the Balmoral one) at Companies House. Should be able to get addresses of directors and will only cost a few pounds.

I've got to go out now otherwise I'd do it. I'm like you and wouldn't let it lie!

Well that didn't take long!

A very nice TZ'er just pm'd me a picture of the guys house!!

Thanks to all who replied

TZ is the best

You could always try the "You have won a free holiday" scam to the last known postal address; all it requires him to do is to collect his tickets in person...

Craftsman
    Write a formal letter of complaint to the local Police outlining the alleged fraud. The Police will pay a visit in response to your complaint to investigate the facts. A visit like this can focus the mind rather well. Even if it is held to be a civil matter at least he will have been brought to the attention of the Police,and they may in fact already know him. Your complaint may be added to existing information. East Wemyss is a small place and news travels fast.

Master
    It looks like he applied for a taxi drivers licence in 2009, it was granted under a "warning" following comments from the Police........... so he's presumably known to them.
    Last edited by catflem; 2nd February 2013 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by CLOCKMAN View Post
    Write a formal letter of complaint to the local Police outlining the alleged fraud. The Police will pay a visit in response to your complaint to investigate the facts. A visit like this can focus the mind rather well. Even if it is held to be a civil matter at least he will have been brought to the attention of the Police,and they may in fact already know him. Your complaint may be added to existing information. East Wemyss is a small place and news travels fast.
    I might give that a try, although I'm hopeful that once he finds out I know where he lives, he'll just pay up. Fingers crossed.

Looking for a con man!!

Send the boys round innit!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I think you should send a pic of his house to him and ask him to pay up. I'm sure he will!

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    It looks like he applied for a taxi drivers licence in 2009, it was granted under a "warning" following comments from the Police........... so he's presumably known to them.

http://admin.1fife.org.uk/uploadfile...4-02-09-FA.pdf
    Isn't that a bit naughty mate?

It might not even be the same fella.

Could be wrong but seems a bit out of order to me.

Quote Originally Posted by racingclub View Post
    Send the boys round innit!
    Very tempting, but I think the OP should go easy with any direct threats like that, it would be easy for the guy to turn the tables and make himself look like the victim.

With the way things are with the internet these days with plenty of people being prosecuted under the malicious communications act, the OP should make sure any contact is carefully worded.

Better to do a little more research on his area, find out where the long dark alleys are, find somewhere where nobody will hear his screams ;-)

Grand Master
    What you meant to say hey lol.

''With the way things are with the internet these days with plenty of people being prosecuted under the malicious communications act, the OP should make sure any contact is precisely inflicted with a baseball bat''.

A quick google search brings up his home address in East Wemyss, and the hotel he runs in Port Seaton, so not exactly hard to find him

Quote Originally Posted by Velvetsnow View Post
    Well that didn't take long!

A very nice TZ'er just pm'd me a picture of the guys house!!

Thanks to all who replied

TZ is the best
    lol really thats awesome , what exactly did he con you for if you dont mind me asking?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Isn't that a bit naughty mate?

It might not even be the same fella.

Could be wrong but seems a bit out of order to me.
    I fail to see why it is a bit naughty, particularly given the OP's reasons for starting the thread.

There can't be many people with that name in that location, and the link I posted is the minutes of a local council meeting and appears on page one of a google search using the name and location supplied by the OP.

But, just in case I'm missing why its a bit naughty - I'll delete the link in my posting, if you could do the same where you've quoted me, any potential naughtyness will then be avoided.

Craftsman
    I fail to see why it is a bit naughty, particularly given the OP's reasons for starting the thread.

There can't be many people with that name in that location, and the link I posted is the minutes of a local council meeting and appears on page one of a google search using the name and location supplied by the OP.

But, just in case I'm missing why its a bit naughty - I'll delete the link in my posting, if you could do the same where you've quoted me, any potential naughtyness will then be avoided.
    what's the point of deleting it? it still shows in your quote and i can easily see his address! from where i live though, it wouldn't be worthwhile travelling to recoup the money, however, it would be worth travelling to teach him the error of his ways.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    what's the point of deleting it? it still shows in your quote and i can easily see his address! from where i live though, it wouldn't be worthwhile travelling to recoup the money, however, it would be worth travelling to teach him the error of his ways.
    +1 and a hell of a lot of satisfaction too,the money would be a bonus assuming he could physically get his wallet out of his pocket after you have ''chatted'' to him.

Best advice anyone can give in this situation is report it to the police. I have the greatest of sympathy if you have been conned out of money but I really dont think this is the best way of going about getting it back or getting some sort of justice. If you are asking for someones details it suggests to me you plan to go and see them and I would imagine the police would take a very dim view of somenone asking random people on the internet for someones home address and telephone number because they want to do something about being conned out of money (But not report it to the police)

Thats what the police are there for so let the police sort it.

Master
    There was a report on BBC breakfast time this morning regarding police investigations of frauds, I must admit that I wasn't paying full attention to the report but the gist appeared to be that these guys are now the people to whom you should report frauds

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

give the law all your info, which will more than likely get you nowhere, then in three months time, hire his taxi, then things will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If you are asking for someones details it suggests to me you plan to go and see them
    Why? You need someone's details to take legal action against them or even, possibly, to report them to the police.

I would imagine the police would take a very dim view of somenone asking random people on the internet for someones home address and telephone number because they want to do something about being conned out of money
    Again, why? They are perfectly legal and proper things to do (both the asking for details and the "do[ing] something about being conned out of money"). Of course, how one goes about these things may or may not be legal but there is no indication whatsoever that the OP is asking for, planning or intending anything illegal.

Thats what the police are there for so let the police sort it.
    One would hope so but we know from previous not-uncommonly reported experiences that the police sometimes (often?) regard such issues as civil matters, so one is left to sorting it out on one's own. Note that "sorting it out on one's own" can include many, many fully legal steps before taking civil legal action. The first legal step is, of course, to find a person's real contact/address details.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 4th February 2013 at 20:56. Reason: Fixed typos

Blog Entries
    To all the people advocating or implying usage of force or threats, wind your necks in! Regardless of whether or not such an approach would be effective, it would not be legal in the current legal system, so stop suggesting it. It is foolish to say or suggest things like that in public (e.g. this forum), no matter what.

Anyway, asking for contact details for a person neither implies nor requires that the person asking for them is going to engage in any kind of illegal activity.

P.S. For the avoidance of doubt, I recognise the possible pragmatic effectiveness of direct threat or use of force. I also recognise that on some people it can be ineffective, it can definitely backfire, and, as I mentioned above, it is just not legal within the current legal system in the UK.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 4th February 2013 at 20:59. Reason: Fixed typos

Blog Entries
    There was a report on BBC breakfast time this morning regarding police investigations of frauds, I must admit that I wasn't paying full attention to the report but the gist appeared to be that these guys are now the people to whom you should report frauds

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
    One hopes, of course, that one's reported alleged crime is worthy of actual investigation. :-/

What we do with your information

When you report a fraud to Action Fraud, you are given a crime reference number and your case will be referred on to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB), which is run by the police service.

In some cases the police may want to contact you for further details, so it’s important that you provide your correct contact details and keep any relevant information about the fraud.

Although the police cannot investigate every report individually, the information you provide will aid them. The police use your information to build up intelligence about fraud, which includes who is committing what fraud and against whom. This contributes to making the UK a more hostile place for fraudsters to operate in and helps to keep other potential victims safe.

When you report a fraud to Action Fraud, you can also choose to have your details passed on to Victim Support, a national charity that helps those affected by crime. If you take up this option, you will then be contacted by someone from the charity and offered free and confidential emotional support and practical help.
    In other words, when you report an alleged crime to this website, it may or may not result in actual action being taken. That potentially leaves you in a difficult position about knowing whether or not you should be taking civil recovery actions.

Perhaps it tells you explicitly whether or not action on your specific case will be taken when you report it...

Police are about as useful as a hand break in a canoe. Had an issue myself a few years back and they did nothing, I hope for your sake they deal with matters like this a bit more efficiently these days

Without knowing the details of how you were conned (it really would be useful) what about the small claims court?
    Moneyclaims online will allow you to pursue a claim against the guy.There will be a small fee (£70). I think they'll automatically set the hearing to be in your con man's local court, just request to have it moved back to your locale and it will happen.

Hmmn, Fife, not sure if the English smal claims court has jurisdiction in Scotland.

Re: Looking for a con man!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Without knowing the details of how you were conned (it really would be useful) what about the small claims court?
    Moneyclaims online will allow you to pursue a claim against the guy.There will be a small fee (£70). I think they'll automatically set the hearing to be in your con man's local court, just request to have it moved back to your locale and it will happen.

Hmmn, Fife, not sure if the English smal claims court has jurisdiction in Scotland.
    Different countries, different legal systems. Here small claims up to £3k can be made at the Sheriff's Court - http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/small-claims
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations