closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Knife sharpening

Knife sharpening

I like to keep my kitchen knifes in decent order and periodically use a sharpening stone and hone frequently on a diamond coated steel although the stone sharpening is a bit of a PITA if I am honest.

Now I know that a lot of people sharpen their knives using a bench grinder with an appropriate wheel. I would think that this is easier.

Anyone do this? What grade of wheel is best used? Any advice welcome.

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker - works a treat (and is pretty simple to use once you get the knack).

Details here:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

Cheers,

I was trained as a butcher many years ago and I still do the old butcher trick with my knives. That is to say sharpen them every time I'm going to use them on a steel. It works for me. If they do need re-profiling I use a bench grinder but it's ony needed very occasionally. To be honest once they start to thin out then I buy new ones as the constant sharpening does tend to wear them away.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I was trained as a butcher many years ago and I still do the old butcher trick with my knives. That is to say sharpen them every time I'm going to use them on a steel. It works for me. If they do need re-profiling I use a bench grinder but it's ony needed very occasionally. To be honest once they start to thin out then I buy new ones as the constant sharpening does tend to wear them away.
    That is good advice. I use my steel pretty much each time I use them (I can't say the same for the gf though although she hardly uses them to be fair about it).

I've only sharpened one or two with a stone as they infrequently need it. Saying that though one or two could do with a sharpen and I'd like to sort it and thought using a bench grinder would be easy.

What wheel type do you use?

I have tried to follow this guide, but usually give in and take my knives to be sharpened. I find a simple stropping against newspaper works wonders. In reality, getting the 7-8 degree angle is just a matter of practice, but unless you're doing this regularly, I imagine it's a little tricky to get right each time. Practice probably makes perfect, as with most things.

Master

I use the water wheel that Global sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    I use the water wheel that Global sell.
    +1 to that. We use that on our Global knives. Imagine it will work the same on others:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shinkansen-2.../dp/B00005OL3L

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For a functional edge used to cut non specific things and which particularly excells on veggies & meat:

Cost 3 Euro.

For chisels, use on fine leatherwork or fancy knives it is too course.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 30th January 2013 at 18:35.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker - works a treat (and is pretty simple to use once you get the knack).

Details here:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

Cheers,
    I bought and use a Sharpmaker as well, I like the way it controls the angle of blade to gie a constant edge. I also bought the diamond course 'stones' to reshape any knives and the extra fine stone. I am able to get my swiss army knife frightenly sharp using the extra fine, although for for kitcten knives I go to the standard ine stone.

As already stated I currently use a stone.

My knifes are kept sharp by regular honing and so need infrequent sharpening. I'm not interested in any knife sharpening "gadgets", although thanks for the recommendations, I'd rather either use the stone that I already have or use my bench grinder. I just wanted to know what the best grinder wheel would be to use.

Craftsman
    recently took 5 knives for sharpening as they had gone blunt and could not get them sharp with a steel. since they have been done, have had no need to use the steel on any of the knives and need to be extra careful as a few times have almost sliced a fingernail off while chopping vegetables.

it maybe that i have a good quality wooden chopping board that looks after the knife edges.... glass is the worst thing to use for a chopping board as they will blunt the knife edges in next to no time.

also it costs me more in sponges now as the knives literally cut the sponge to shreds when washing them.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    As already stated I currently use a stone.

My knifes are kept sharp by regular honing and so need infrequent sharpening. I'm not interested in any knife sharpening "gadgets", although thanks for the recommendations, I'd rather either use the stone that I already have or use my bench grinder. I just wanted to know what the best grinder wheel would be to use.
    Apologies - the essence of your request was lost on me after a long day and the vagaries of conversational drift on an internet forum.

I wouldn't describe the Minosharp as a 'gadget' though, any more than I would describe Globals as fashion knives. I switched to Global following many recommendations from surgeons I have worked with who generally know one end of a sharp object from another. Whether they have bench grinders in their garages though is a different matter.

Hopefully someone will be along to tackle your request :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Apologies - the essence of your request was lost on me after a long day and the vagaries of conversational drift on an internet forum.

I wouldn't describe the Minosharp as a 'gadget' though, any more than I would describe Globals as fashion knives. I switched to Global following many recommendations from surgeons I have worked with who generally know one end of a sharp object from another. Whether they have bench grinders in their garages though is a different matter.

Another vote for the Minosharp. Bought one just before Xmas and it's sharpened up our knives a treat.

Knife sharpening

I recommend minosharp as well.

Master
    Minosharp are great but it depends on your knife.

Because Minosharp is designed for Global type knives which are thin where the blade joins the handle (sorry don't know the proper term) it sharpens the whole length of the blade.

But with my European style knives namely Wursthof and Henckles, they are a thick V near the handle which fouls on the Minosharp guide and doesn't sharpen about 2cms of the blade nearest the handle.

I sold mine and bought a whetstone.

Master
    I got one of these for Christmas and have been really pleased:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Glo.../dp/B001DXVL6K

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    I got one of these for Christmas and have been really pleased:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Glo.../dp/B001DXVL6K
    This has to be worth a try...£1.20 ... includes shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...r=670060879065

I use a wet stone wheel with a pretty fine grit, if I need it. Not sure of the make I bought it years ago from Screwfix. As I sais I don't use this very often. The steel does the job if you use it every time you use the knife.

Fullt agree about the surface you cut on. I prefer wood but plastic is OK. I never use glass.

You take kithcen knife advice from surgeons hence bought 'Global' knives?

I used to just take my knives to my local butcher every time I bought some steak - I should learn to do it myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout View Post
    You take kithcen knife advice from surgeons hence bought 'Global' knives?
    Why not?

Surgical colleagues usually have an opinion on most matters, but I'd trust their advice regarding sharp items every time. Lots are into fine dining anyway. If I needed a source of fresh langoustines or partridge then I'd probably ask a surgeon. If you need performance car advice then there is no one better to ask than an orthopaedic surgeon.

I'll try to be diplomatic.
    Why not?
    Because Global knives are not generally considered the epitome of neither edge holding ability nor ergonomics in knife savvy circles.

As Global for some odd reason seems to trigger a certain knee jerk reaction akin to discussing Rolex watches with ditto owners, I'll stick to that understatement of the century.

Last edited by WatchScout; 31st January 2013 at 15:30.

Knife sharpening

I've never met a surgeon who does not have an opinion on much. The nature of what they do means they have to believe in their opinion and this often means they seem to speak on non expert areas with some conviction.

I do doubt that aside from being a cutting instrument that a kitchen knife has much in common with a pearing knife.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Fair play lads, but this is a watch forum let's not forget, so the chances of professional chefs turning up and offering their opinions on which knife/sharpener/bench grinder/wet stone/steel are probably pretty minimal. When they do then we can all sit up and listen. Until then we can just pitch in with our own experiences, which are most likely going to be from a domestic usage point of view.

Globals do the trick for me and I don't feel the need to go any further upmarket. The deal with Globals was sealed for me when my partner inadvertently removed the tip of one of her fingers when preparing some veg for a pizza. If they are sharp enough to cause a trip to A&E then they are sharp enough for me.

Craftsman
    Fair play lads, but this is a watch forum let's not forget, so the chances of professional chefs turning up and offering their opinions on which knife/sharpener/bench grinder/wet stone/steel are probably pretty minimal. When they do then we can all sit up and listen. Until then we can just pitch in with our own experiences, which are most likely going to be from a domestic usage point of view.

Globals do the trick for me and I don't feel the need to go any further upmarket. The deal with Globals was sealed for me when my partner inadvertently removed the tip of one of her fingers when preparing some veg for a pizza. If they are sharp enough to cause a trip to A&E then they are sharp enough for me.
    part of the reason why i had mine professionally sharpened was because they do knife sharpening for professional chefs. it was a small shop in plymouth that is an old style cobbler shoe repair key cutting etc the results were fantastic and i haven't needed to use a steel on the knives yet.

i think it was £1 per knife my biggest worry was knowing i had 5 knives in a briefcase walking through town worrying how i explain if i get stopped by a policeman!

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I use one of these on my Global's

http://www.axminster.co.uk/images/pr.../400126_xl.jpg

followed by an old fine old stone

Spend an hour in the garage at a time listening to the radio whist sharpening all my knifes (I wonder what the neighbours think :-o)

I have found that some of the automatic sharpening gadgets are a tad course and aggressive on the blades.

I should also add that the wife always complains about the knifes as she tends to have the odd accident when first using them!

B

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout View Post
    I'll try to be diplomatic.

Because Global knives are not generally considered the epitome of neither edge holding ability nor ergonomics in knife savvy circles.

As Global for some odd reason seems to trigger a certain knee jerk reaction akin to discussing Rolex watches with ditto owners, I'll stick to that understatement of the century.

By jove, that makes me more diplomatic than diplomatic

Thanks for that btw Jesper, I really second this observation.

I have a "set" of Globals, and a plethora of other Kitchen knives of varying provenance and quality.
    The pick of them is probably the 18cm Deba. I only wish the handle went further forward, but it is a great knife nonetheless.
    regardless, they all get sharpened with the Global whetstone system, a two-part stone at 240 and 1000 grit, this one.

It takes me about an hour.

I also have two "utility" 6" knives that get the butcher treatment, used pretty often and sharpened with a steel every time I use them. Sure, they are sharp, but it is not a sustained edge, and dulls quickly, because a steel doesn't really sharpen, it raises a sharp burr, which is fragile and easily taken off.

Global knives are, imho, not all that, but neither are they crummy overpriced tat. Their flexible blades are best avoided, as I see no differential quality in that steel that justifies the price, but the hard (and very brittle) Molybdenum / Vanadium steel can hold a true edge for a long time though. I do my hour's knife therapy once every 4 months or so.

And I don't touch them in between. Especially not with a steel.

My one observation is that polishing the edge (using the high grit side, or stropping with something similarly fine) is vital in creating an edge that stays the course.

The rough stone makes the edge, the fine one ensures you keep it.

D

Perhaps I should add two things.

First, the longest lasting edge in my all of my knives is a slim chinese cleaver I bought in the chinese supermarket in Bristol for £6.

Secondly, I have been in quite a few kitchens and professional cutting environments. Hardly any use expensive knives. They mostly use cheap ones that are sharpended often. Like soldiers and G-shocks. Cheap and capable
    Last edited by sweets; 1st February 2013 at 21:49.

Anybody with any advice regarding the best way to sharpen a thick gauge meat cleaver? Apart from a grinding wheel!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Anybody with any advice regarding the best way to sharpen a thick gauge meat cleaver? Apart from a grinding wheel!
    as you are not far from plymouth, try the cobblers in the same street as the newmarket pub. it costs £1 to have it professionally sharpened and your post count is goine ever so fast! read the announcement at the top of the page and donate some money to good causes.... eddie might be a little more forgiving if you are generous, and not just using the forum for your own personal gain/discount!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    read the announcement at the top of the page
    What announcement is that? I don't see any unusual announcement.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What announcement is that? I don't see any unusual announcement.
    it is the top of the main forum mark. if you read recent posts you probably have not seen it from the main forum page. link to eddies tz-charity

Blog Entries
    it is the top of the main forum mark. if you read recent posts you probably have not seen it from the main forum page. link to eddies tz-charity
    Ah thanks, found it now. Indeed, my usage profile means that I don't usually see the main forum subforum menus.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 2nd February 2013 at 19:46. Reason: Correct text

as you are not far from plymouth, try the cobblers in the same street as the newmarket pub. it costs £1 to have it professionally sharpened
    Nice one. That's cheap!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Nice one. That's cheap!
    and the service is impeccable. not to mention the quality of the sharpening. you won't be disappointed.

Craftsman
    wrong thread - apologies