closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sales Corner at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It's still there, in the very first line of the "Guidelines for posting on Sales Corner" ........

"Sales corner is for the use of forum members to sell or trade any item, it is not solely for trading watches."
    Exactly..... Lets face it, it'd be a pretty boring place if it was just full of watches and straps.....

There are plenty of other forums where I can fall asleep looking at yet another watch for sale.....yawn..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post

The only thing anybody should be borrowing money for is to buy property or land.
    Quite a broad brush you tar people with there eh??

What complete nonsense...... People borrowing money for anything isn't the issue....

It's the ones that borrow, and then can't or won't pay it back that causes a problem..

Quote Originally Posted by jimboy View Post
    Another thing with SC, or is it just me? I get hacked of scrolling through some posts on a particular nice piece to find the last post says "sold" or "OHPF"

Whats happened to the polite amendment to the Heading/Title to say SOLD or OHPF to save all that scrolling, and getting excited that a certain watch has come available.

Grumpy Gramps
    I believe there is/was a time limit on editing the title of a post.

SC should be left as it is. It's the Sales Corner for this community, not a watch sales corner.

Community members seem happy to accept it as such and I've bought more non related watch stuff than actual watch stuff, although from a £ note perspective the latter wins out handsomely.

i don't give two hoots that those who just treat this place as somewhere to pick up cheap watches or sell stuff without fees have the dreadful inconvenience of having to press a few more keys. Boohoo, now run along.

Eddies's gaff, Eddies's rules and it suits me fine. If you don't like it, mind the door on your way out

Craftsman
    New years resolution to get the count up so I can view all the forums.

Sales Corner at the moment.

If easy credit was not available it would save many a fool from getting into debt.
    Many people in the UK have become financially reckless and imprudent, the concept
    of saving up for something you want has become an alien concept.
    I am continually shocked by the levels of non-secured debt that people without any
    real assets are allowed to build up, it is no good for anybody.

A young friend of mine inherited some money last year, he asked me to help him source
    a pepsi bezel Rolex on a bracelet. I politely asked him if he had any other savings,
    whether he was buying his house, saving for a deposit, or did he have some financial
    cover if he lost his job.
    No, No, No was his answer, we sourced a nice very similar Seiko dive watch for a few
    hundred pounds. I have lost count of the number of times he has thanked me since
    for persuading him not to blow his money.

But the state stopping stupid people getting themselves into financial trouble is more
    a topic for the Bear Pit.
    What a lot of old crap. By the way you have probably reduced the chaps 'good investment Rolex' to a watch he will make a loss on if he needs to sell. I'll spend my own money how I like thanks.

Master
    There is also:

'Anyone who posts more than 3 items a week will be regarded as a dealer.'

But that is ignored and circumvented by some people who post multiple items in a single post.
    Which seems pretty cheeky to me and taking advantage.

It states 3 items a week, not 3 listings per week.
    Normally done with a cover story such as 'man tat clear-out'.

So there is a pretty long list of dealers, applying the above rule.
    And as this is Eddies house I'm sure he cleans it as he sees fit, fairly sure no major transgressions pass him by unknown.....

The more posts of yours I read the more Im inclined to believe the troll tag....

Sales Corner at the moment.

He would have made a profit if he got the Rolex for the right money.

Craftsman
    May be the watch "bubble" is about to burst;-) These high prices can't keep going up forever. My watches are almost as expensive as my car these days (relatively speaking).

Master
    Really ? What is 'trolling' about my post ?
    I simply observed that one of the SC rules is regularly circumvented by some.
    Is what I have stated untrue ?
    Nobody cares..... So what if someone puts 5 or 6 items on in one listing.??

I have to admit though, if I'd wanted a Rolex and someone talked me into a Seiko... I certainly wouldn't be thanking them.....

Then again I don't. Much care for doing what other folk tell me is for the best....
    Last edited by Enoch; 3rd February 2013 at 18:40.

Master
    Really ? What is 'trolling' about my post ?
    I simply observed that one of the SC rules is regularly circumvented by some.
    Is what I have stated untrue ?
    It's as much how you say, as what you say, IMHO many of your posts are designed to antagonise and as I said in my earlier post, the more I read the more I believe that.

You may not feel that way, that's your prerogative if you feel you not trolling fine, we disagree that's it, what I won't do is be drawn into troll feeding.

My last post on this.

Master

Re: Sales Corner at the moment.

If easy credit was not available it would save many a fool from getting into debt.
    Many people in the UK have become financially reckless and imprudent, the concept
    of saving up for something you want has become an alien concept.
    I am continually shocked by the levels of non-secured debt that people without any
    real assets are allowed to build up, it is no good for anybody.

A young friend of mine inherited some money last year, he asked me to help him source
    a pepsi bezel Rolex on a bracelet. I politely asked him if he had any other savings,
    whether he was buying his house, saving for a deposit, or did he have some financial
    cover if he lost his job.
    No, No, No was his answer, we sourced a nice very similar Seiko dive watch for a few
    hundred pounds. I have lost count of the number of times he has thanked me since
    for persuading him not to blow his money.

But the state stopping stupid people getting themselves into financial trouble is more
    a topic for the Bear Pit.
    Perhaps your "young" friend has more skill and confidence than you when it comes to investment opportunities. Your idea of debt might be his idea of leverage / opportunity.

Have you ever considered that you might be unambitious?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The other thing I like is, that I had no intention of buying a docking station for example...... Until I see one on TZ... Then all of a sudden I really need one....Love it
    I sold a set of Agatha Christie books to someone from Oz on here, because he used to have a similar set when he lived in the UK which got lost during the move. I wager he wasn't actively looking but when he saw it he remembered his old set and I had it sold within half an hour!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb d View Post
    I sold a set of Agatha Christie books to someone from Oz on here, because he used to have a similar set when he lived in the UK which got lost during the move. I wager he wasn't actively looking but when he saw it he remembered his old set and I had it sold within half an hour!
    That's exactly how it works...... I've bought loads of stuff I never realised I needed until it popped up on SC....haha..

Master
    That's exactly how it works...... I've bought loads of stuff I never realised I needed until it popped up on SC....haha..
    Very true. I never realised I needed 20 watches, for example...

Craftsman
    Just post sensibly and constructively looking to make a contribution.
    Visit regularly over a few months and your post count will rise at a steady rate.
    Then send me £500 in used notes and access to SC will be granted.
    Like I'd fall for that one again

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In a generally falling and uncertain market ?
    Cash is king when you may need quick and flexible access to your money.
    No disrespect intended. But remind me not to turn to you for financial advice

As you can see from when I joined, not all of us are in an inordinate hurry to start selling.....

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    As you can see from when I joined, not all of us are in an inordinate hurry to start selling.....
    Slow and steady wins the race, I admire your restraint Mike
    RIAC

Journeyman
    I'm struggling to get to SC, don't like to post just for the sake of it (until this one), but the old 40th is coming in May and I'm gonna be gutted if I haven't got the opportunity to buy something before then.

I wonder if many other newbies feel the same. Although, in fairness at 30 posts in 5 months I really should start trying harder.

Cheers

I am with you on that and I hear there is some good stock on SC at the moment as well!

I have my 30th coming up this June and would love to add to my collection

Looks to me that some of you need to be posting just a tad more often (constructively of course ) and get stuck in to the wide, wonderful and sometimes weird World that is SC.

T

The only thing anybody should be borrowing money for is to buy property or land.
    Such rubbish! If peoplel can afford to pay it back then why shouldn't they?

What about business/investment ? A large % of it is from borrowed funds ,without that there would be very little investment /building etc

If people who borrow money to buy cars stopped most car production plants etc wold close and the economy would go into freefall.If people can afford debt its nota bad thing if its manageable

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Yeth View Post
    I find SC an interesting place although I do agree somewhat with this comment
    'and it is very strange how many unwanted 'brand new' watches are offered for sale. If you don't want your 'brand new' watch take it back for a refund, why would you be selling it at a loss ? Something is not quite right.'

Watches are generally high end purchases, not impulse buys (unless you've had a lottery win) and I can't fathom why there are so many new watches for sale that are unworn. Surely if you purchase something that expensive you'd know that you want to keep it.
    This is a forum with watch collectors on it, which in turn means watch flippers. For quite a few people here, a good watch is an impulse buy! Furthermore, a lot of people seem to own something for a week and then feel they want to move it on. There's no need to be suspicious (in general)... it's just a reflection of the capricious nature of 'collectors' (and serial flippers). :-)

It's fun, a hobby, and, if you can afford it (as many can), it doesn't need to turn a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Such rubbish! If peoplel can afford to pay it back then why shouldn't they?

What about business/investment ? A large % of it is from borrowed funds ,without that there would be very little investment /building etc

If people who borrow money to buy cars stopped most car production plants etc wold close and the economy would go into freefall.If people can afford debt its nota bad thing if its manageable
    Agreed. It always bemuses me why people come up with such hard n fast rules. On the surface, they believe they are being rational but actually imo it's completely the opposite. If one can afford to pay it back with no problems, there's absolutely no argument against borrowing money. It helps your cash-flow and you can benefit from zero per cent interest when it comes to watches.

Being cautious and risk averse is borrrring...it's only one life!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    You can't take back a watch for a refund when you taken finance on it, but you can sell it and splash the spondoolies...

Who told you that as its not correct?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Who told you that as its not correct?
    My poor grammar.

You don't want to take a watch back for a refund when you bought it purely to sell it, was the point I was making. Put a small deposit down on a £5k watch, finance the balance (often 0%), flog watch for say £4k, splash the cash, make monthly repayments.

Returning it defeats the object.
    Last edited by burnsey66; 6th February 2013 at 11:20. Reason: I Am Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Su If people can afford to pay it back then why shouldn't they?

If people can afford debt its not a bad thing if its manageable
    And there you have the two key statements in that post that relate to debt management - manageable debt is a neccessary thing in modern life (I'm sure a lot of chaps on the forum have had, or have, manageable debt - it's your mortgage). The problems only arise when a debt becomes unmanageable - the difference between manageable and unmanageable is a very grey line as it takes in an individual's attitude to risk ... there will never be a right or wrong answer.

Back to SC, I'd love to see more watches buying advertised but also enjoy scanning through the OT items. To me there seems to be a lack of mid to top end stuff on there at the moment apart from the odd Rolex and it would also be nice to see a wider range of brands being offered, but it's limited to what people have and want to sell so it is what it is. There seems to be some optimistic pricing on some items but "if you don't ask you don't get" and I fully respect that the seller can ask for any price they like. Buyers seem a little thin on the ground too as watches are sitting on SC that would have been snapped up straight away but we're all in straightened times at the moment so I guess that is just the market as it stands.

Would I split SC into watches and OT items, personally yes I would but only to stop all the watches dropping off page 1 in a sea of interesting OT items - would just make it a little easier to browse through quickly when sat on the train.

Smile

My poor grammar.

You can't take a watch back for a refund when you've sold it, was the point I was making. Sold it after taking out finance on it. Put a small deposit down on a £5k watch, finance the balance (often 0%), flog watch for say £4k, splash the cash, make monthly repayments.

haha.

"You can't take a watch back for a refund when you've sold it"

No shit Sherlock!! Sorry, couldn't resist mate....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    haha.

"You can't take a watch back for a refund when you've sold it"

No shit Sherlock!! Sorry, couldn't resist mate....
    Apologies, I am a little thick it seems. Post edited to show my point clearer (I hope).

You don't want to take a watch back for a refund when you bought it purely to sell it, was the point I was making. Put a small deposit down on a £5k watch, finance the balance (often 0%), flog watch for say £4k, splash the cash, make monthly repayments.

Returning it defeats the object.

There is a separate point though.
    If the watch is on finance, is it still owned by the finance co who could recover it in the event the repayments are not made?

Similar to cars and HPI check....should the same apply to watches or is the finance offered on watches just a pure and simple unsecured loan??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    There is a separate point though.
    If the watch is on finance, is it still owned by the finance co who could recover it in the event the repayments are not made?

Similar to cars and HPI check....should the same apply to watches or is the finance offered on watches just a pure and simple unsecured loan??
    It's not ( normally ) hp secured on the watch but an unsecured personal loan....

Craftsman
    Not that i care one way or the other what you think, I'll have you know I got a very good price for my second hand shoes.. I also bagged a lovely Dainese top, Berghaus coat, diesel Jeans, a cracking Barbour for the wife and an Ipod docking station on SC....

The fact that members of TZ are happy to trade, sell and swap,mand even give away, non watch related items amongst each other is a good thing, as it helps each other out...
    Agreed. picked up some rather nice non watch related items from the SC. Ted Baker shirt, Selvedge jeans, Iphoes etc etc. if the items are selling then there is obviously interest there. it would probably be better in a sub forum but if Eddie wants all sales in the same place then that is good enough for me.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey-r View Post
    With regard to SC... as a fairly new member, I have enough posts to view but not enough to post. If I were interested in a watch on SC would it be bad form to PM the seller or should I wait until I have sufficient posts to actually post in SC?
    I am in the same situation. I usually PM and no problem. Very frustrating not being to post though