closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches and their Profession stereotypes

I've yet to meet a person with an explorer ( I or ii ) or milgauss that's not a WIS.

I have a speedy and and a sub but don't see many. I see more iwc and sd. And they are sales and marketing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    Max Bill or Mondaine = Architect
    I'm a town planning consultant and work closely with a significant number of architects and I do know three who wear white dial Mondaines. I don't think I've ever seen a Mondaine on anyone else. I must admit I would quite like a Max Bill Chronoscope myself.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsm View Post
    Can't remember who first posted this but it seems to fit the bill:

regards,
    David
    Hey, I match that Breitling actual customer photo.

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    I am in IT management and within my employer Breitling seems most popular, with a smattering of Tags & SMPs (modern ones)
    Lots of G shocks in the data center from what I have noticed in my corner of the world. But mostly due to lots of IMAC and not wanting to damage the nicer pieces.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Yeah but unfortunately not as much as Archie Luxury.
    And you come to this conclusion by ????

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Its a forgone conclusion really.

Pretty sure the forum consensus is that no one thinks they knows more then Archie Luxury ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I come to this conclusion by the use of irony, or sarcasm if you prefer. Relax, FFS.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOp View Post
    Bretling = Unemployed brat living of daddys money
    Right. Now what about Breitling? ;)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsm View Post
    Can't remember who first posted this but it seems to fit the bill:

regards,
    David
    I love the Omega one - I can almost hear the adenoids :D

Ikepod - architect

Aerospace - RAF pilot
    Pulsar - RAF nav

Citizen Orca - someone who likes the idea of going diving but nearest they'll get is the beach
    Last edited by Christian; 24th February 2013 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I love the Omega one - I can almost hear the adenoids :D
    Oliver Stone?

Master
    I am in the armed forces and wear various brands mainly rolex, omega and JLC. People find it rather strange, but its a watch to be worn and they are repairable,

Watches and their Profession stereotypes

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I'm a town planning consultant and work closely with a significant number of architects and I do know three who wear white dial Mondaines. I don't think I've ever seen a Mondaine on anyone else. I must admit I would quite like a Max Bill Chronoscope myself.
    Ha, what did I tell you...

I like the Chronoscopes too. In fact I have a WTB out for one at the moment

Master
    I'm a medic, and by far the commonest wear by my peers, male and female, is some ageing, placcy Swatch. A handful have some interest is watches, and about 90% of these wear a ss DJ from the 80s or 90s.

I'm obviously talking about 'normal' hospital doctors & GPs here, not the orthopaedic/gynaecologist/anaesthetist//dermatologist Private Practice merchants, where gold is more common (but originality of brand choice mainly isn't).

The other day I witnessed a hilarious exchange between a feisty lady A&E physician (simple black & white Swatch, worn loose) and a privoid anaesthetist (Panerai Luminor of some description, always worn ostentatiously sticking out from below his handmade cuff). She asked him what that "vile black dinner plate was strapped to his wrist", and how he managed to get his hands up ladies bits wearing "an appliance like that". (Her language was more colourful and specific, but you'll get my meaning). He was sadly pathetic in response.

BTW Psychiatrist = architect = Mondaine/Max Bill : evidence available - I'm friends with 2 psychiatrists, one wearing a Mondaine and the other a similar-looking Skagen. They also both have funny-coloured spec frames, just like architects.

Laboratory scientist = G-shock. (by far the commonest choice in our labs, and they use the multiple alarms to tell them when to return from the coffee bar when their experiment's finished]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I am in the armed forces and wear various brands mainly rolex, omega and JLC. People find it rather strange, but its a watch to be worn and they are repairable,
    Ah, do we finally meet a Navy Seal who wears a Navy Seal??

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Im not sure I really want to know, but how often and how many have italian gyno's have you met? and why have they shown you their ankle chains?
    At work basically as I have progressed through my medical training. I'll be honest and say I've only met two male Italian gynaecologists, but both had TT DJs and ankle chains. Ankle chain-wise I saw them both wearing them in theatres when they were sat operating on stools. Their scrubs probably rode up - and I'm honestly not making this up - to reveal white sports socks and some gold (the only precious metal Italian gynaecologists choose) chain. This was in two separate hospitals about 1/2 years apart, so not the same person.

I think they both had small yachts somewhere too, but that's another story really.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    At work basically as I have progressed through my medical training. I'll be honest and say I've only met two male Italian gynaecologists, but both had TT DJs and ankle chains. Ankle chain-wise I saw them both wearing them in theatres when they were sat operating on stools. Their scrubs probably rode up - and I'm honestly not making this up - to reveal white sports socks and some gold (the only precious metal Italian gynaecologists choose) chain. This was in two separate hospitals about 1/2 years apart, so not the same person.

I think they both had small yachts somewhere too, but that's another story really.
    I was imagining a steam filled sauna type of thing with dodgy hand shakes and berlusconi supporters clubs.

Italian cardiac registrars wear breils until they can afford an eberhard chrono. Ive worked with a good handful of them.
    The prof wore a gold yachtmaster though, very blingy, like him really.

Vintage 36/38 mm Rolex = emerging hipster contemporary visual artist
    Panerai = hugely successful contemporary visual artist

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Absolutely. An IT manager would wear a digital, probably plastic.
    Off the top of my head I can think of at least 3 Techs wearing rolex where I work - and one is a sub.

Craftsman
    Casio - terrorist
    G-Shock - senior terrorist or wanabee Bear Grylls
    Zenith - somebody who knows there watches
    Panerai - an unusual spelling of Banker, fashion victim
    Rolex - all sorts, the worlds favorite watches, everybody secretly would like at least one
    Stienhart - a watch fancer who does not have the money to buy what they would really like
    Nixon, Animal etc - Somebody who has paid £80 for something worth £5
    Seiko - somebody who wants a reliable watch to tell the time.

Craftsman

Public servant special

My experience of local authorities suggests:

- Techy/non-management - Plastic, digital.
    -Younger middle management - something midsize (probably quartz) by a big name (tag, omega) or fashion watch.
    -Older middle management - worn (out!) ancient Seiko.
    -Senior management - no obvious trend.
    -Senior members - rolex

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Ice watch or some other neon piece of plastic- Every man in Wigan (career irrelevant, most likely all gay :p)
    Every man in Wigan is probably gay? I would never have guessed Wigan was the gay capital of the North West. Or that the North West even has a gay capital.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post

Every man in Wigan is probably gay? I would never have guessed Wigan was the gay capital of the North West. Or that the North West even has a gay capital.
    I think that Canal Street, Manchester could be considered the gay capital of the north west!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Ice watch or some other neon piece of plastic- Every man in Wigan (career irrelevant, most likely all gay :p)
    I wouldnt go upsetting the local pie eaters, a carefully aimed steak and kidney can become a lethal weapon in the wrong hands.

Banned
    Heuer = Racing driver

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Heuer = wannabe Racing driver
    Corrected that for you

(And, yes, I've got a couple of them and plead guilty)

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Corrected that for you
    Nope, he was right first time

Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    Navitimer = Pilot
    Most of the other pilots at my place wear Aerospaces if they wear anything other than run of the mill!

I wear a different Breitling every day and I'm most certainly NOT living off daddy's money! If that we're the case I'd struggle even to be able to afford the 'Pepsi' Sekonda from Amazon... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=hotukdeals-21

To be honest, most pilots should wear a Mickey Mouse watch anyway!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Nope, he was right first time
    Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean!

Careful, or I'll post a shot of Kimi sporting his TW Steel.

As an alternative we could go for Seinfeld with his Siffert...

Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean!

Careful, or I'll post a shot of Kimi sporting his TW Steel.

As an alternative we could go for Seinfeld with his Siffert...
    ... or Siffert with his Siffert.

Master
    Of course, but I was introducing another job association!

Grand Master
    Of course, but I was introducing another job association!
    I love the open bias of posts that say things like:

Breitling - showboat wankers
    Rolex - car salesman
    Omega - successful, attractive middle-management aspirant with a taste for good wines and classical jazz
    And then in the inevitable .sig you read
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch 3750.00
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean XL 230.41.10.40.50.110.030
    Omega Professional Seamaster 300M Co-axial 3281.50
    You may as well just write a post that says "I'm cool and anyone else who doesn't have my tastes is a prat" for all the credibility it offers

Grand Master
    BTW Psychiatrist = architect = Mondaine/Max Bill : evidence available - I'm friends with 2 psychiatrists, one wearing a Mondaine and the other a similar-looking Skagen. They also both have funny-coloured spec frames, just like architects.
    I know two architects. One drives a Saab, the other doesn't even have a driving licence, to my knowledge. As far as my own tiny little world is concerned, the correlation between architects not even being able to drive and architects driving Saabs (a pairing promoted by a lot of commentators) are equally as strong. Quick, someone tell me what to think :D

Also, what do people think when one day, the boss comes in wearing a Submariner, and the next day, a G-shock, or an ancient Rotary or something?

Banned

=

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Also, what do people think when one day, the boss comes in wearing a Submariner, and the next day, a G-shock, or an ancient Rotary or something?
    I would probably start wondering what his tz-uk id was.

Craftsman
    I've been heavily involved in clay pigeon shooting for almost 14 years ( yes I know it's a hobby not a profession). Nearly every watch I see that's worth more than £100 is an Omega SMP. It's like people are issued with them .

I used to travel to Italy a lot with work (Milan mostly) and my colleagues and I used to refer to the Submariner as the Italian Taxi-driver's watch as it seemed every cabbie was wearing a Sub.

I have several friends working in Hedge Funds and as already noted there are many JLCs on their wrists (not just Reversos though).

My far the most 'high-end' watch that the pilots I know here in Singapore wear is the Breitling Aerospace. Go to Changi airport and it is Aerospace central!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Absolutely. An IT manager would wear a digital, probably plastic.
    or no watch, he has a phone right?

Pseudo-troll's delight, this thread. I see a couple have already posted.

Journeyman
    Haha this is classic.

I'm seeing no Longines though...

The IT folk where I am in Basel tend to mostly have an array of Swiss watches, I have to say, so it's hard to spot a trend among them.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    I would probably start wondering what his tz-uk id was.
    The problem with discussions like these is that they assume that the "professional" only wears one watch all the time, and has explicitly aligned himself with that brand and all its associated marketing material which seeks to define a certain lifestyle that the wearer either follows or aspires to. That may be the case On The Internet, but out there, people are actually far more likely to buy watches on things like price and shininess, and often keep more than one watch.

Watches and their Profession stereotypes

This thread has made me realise why I never seem to have any interest in Breitling.
    Their advertising is so 'look at me I'm a pilot in sunglasses' I'd feel a bit of a prat wearing one - I have no interest in flying planes, (or making people think I do!)
    I don't really understand why a pilot needs a special watch to be honest, all that stuff about the crystal not popping off seems a bit 'whatever' as I can't remember my watch falling apart on a plane recently. At least divers watches are waterproof, does John Travolta have to be pictured wearing a bad wig and a shiny watch to make that a 'pilots watch'? - or David Beckham arriving purposefully off a plane with a big watch on an arm covered in scribble? I'm confused, Mr Beckham wears sunglasses and sits in planes a lot so he needs a pilots watch (?)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    This thread has made me realise why I never seem to have any interest in Breitling.
    Their advertising is so 'look at me I'm a pilot in sunglasses' I'd feel a bit of a prat wearing one - I have no interest in flying planes, (or making people think I do!)
    Yes, it is thickly laid on with a trowel by Breitling's global marketing department. However I don't think you need to be a pilot to wear a Breitling any more than you need to be a diver to wear a Submariner or Sea-Dweller. Or an Astronaut to wear a Speedypro, etc.
    I don't really understand why a pilot needs a special watch to be honest, all that stuff about the crystal not popping off seems a bit 'whatever' as I can't remember my watch falling apart on a plane recently.
    Well to be fair IWC, the other well-known Biggles-oriented brand, also makes a thing about its watches withstanding sudden drops in pressure. Not relevant in the pressurised cabin of your typical jetliner, but maybe if you drive an F-22 or something...

Quote Originally Posted by RudeDog View Post
    I was having a discussion with a friend a couple of weeks ago and noticed he had a Submariner on. I jokingly asked him why he was wearing an IT Manager's watch when he worked in the city as a trader. He laughed and said "True, I should really wear a Reverso like all the Hedge-Fund Managers".

What other profession/watch stereotypes are there?
    I've met a about a hundred HF managers and never seen a Reverso. I'd say 20% of the time it's a Patek, 30% of the time it's a Casio/Nike/etc or no watch, 10-20% of the time a Rolex or Omega, and the remainder all sorts like AP, Blancpain, Panerai, Hublot, JLC, IWC etc. The most ridiculous watches I've seen on a hedge fund or private equity type is probably a Royal Oak in rose gold with the full bracelet in gold, or a Patek perpetual, or a Lange 1. Never see any tourbillons or such, rarely any top end complications/etc. I think most of the time they go for something more subdued in meetings.

The most highly paid person I've met (not highest net worth) was a guy who was paid $70m a year and his watch was a Raymond Weil tradition automatic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    I've met a about a hundred HF managers and never seen a Reverso. I'd say 20% of the time it's a Patek, 30% of the time it's a Casio/Nike/etc or no watch, 10-20% of the time a Rolex or Omega, and the remainder all sorts like AP, Blancpain, Panerai, Hublot, JLC, IWC etc. The most ridiculous watches I've seen on a hedge fund or private equity type is probably a Royal Oak in rose gold with the full bracelet in gold, or a Patek perpetual, or a Lange 1. Never see any tourbillons or such, rarely any top end complications/etc. I think most of the time they go for something more subdued in meetings.

The most highly paid person I've met (not highest net worth) was a guy who was paid $70m a year and his watch was a Raymond Weil tradition automatic.

So what you're saying here is that they generally seem pretty clued up on watches and seem to have made conscienscous choices on what to wear.... People usually dont get rich by being unintelligent follow-the-crowd type drones, so it makes sense.

If someone on here bought an AP Rose gold on bracelet and posted pics there'd be no end to the backslapping and "well done m8, highly original choice, nice piece".... and rightly so. Noone would call a patek perpetual "ridiculous" either I'm sure...

Just a matter of seeing what you want to see I suppose, jealousy accounts for most of the negativity no doubt.

I agree with this, an architect we use (commercial development) wears one of these. Always wondered what it was until I saw the name!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    I agree with this, an architect we use (commercial development) wears one of these. Always wondered what it was until I saw the name!
    Your commercial development isn't pharmacy shops by any chance?

Your commercial development isn't pharmacy shops by any chance?
    Afraid not; industrial, office and hotels mostly!

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Casio F91-W = terrorist.
    Very good.