closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HTC One anyone? Thinking of shifting from iOS...........

HTC One anyone? Thinking of shifting from iOS...........

I've been an iPhone user for over 5 years, originally importing the first iPhone from the US, and it's a sad thing to say but I am BORED with iOS!

I was waiting for the Galaxy S4 to be announced but really don't like the look of it and everyone is raving about the HTC One!

Has anyone made the change from iOS to Android?

Cheers

Marcus

Apprentice
    I know what you mean. I was also an iphone junky since the beginning, but I made the switch last October to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I'm a bit of a phone addict, and bought phones every couple of months. I hated Android for a long time, but have found that to a large extent, it has caught up and in some ways surpassed iOS.

What I hated when I moved was that there was a setting for everything! It took ages to set up to my liking. Then I had to download loads of apps again, and the free apps are often inferior on Android and riddled with annoying ads. Also, if you're a heavy media user, I find it all less seamless syncing with a computer, than iOS too. I believe HTC have now released some app to help transfer sms, contacts, notes etc to your android handset (samsung have done something similar). Other annoyances are that you may find you need to root your android handset to make backups, and also get updates in a timely manner. Everything is a bit more of a faff than iOS, but strangely, I'm happy! The eternal options make it very customisable. I don't do anything fancy, but it keeps things fresh.

I've been looking at my options for an upgrade soon and cut it down to S4, HTC One, and LG Optimus Pro. I can't see the point of the S4, the HTC looks lovely (and reviews are good), but it's limited to 32GB (a 64GB may become available later this year), and the LG hasn't got a release date. If you're not fussed by the 32GB restriction, I'd suggest the HTC would be a good first step. Don't sell your iphone though until you feel comfortable with Android though!

Google Nexus 4, £279 for the 32Gb model, SIM free?

The Nexus 4 is nice but the screen and build quality are far inferior to the iPhone and HTC One sadly, otherwise I'd have a dabble.

Blog Entries
    Really like the look of the HTC One but the inferior camera (surprisingly I actually use the iPhone camera alot) and the Blinkfeed or whatever it's called are so far putting me off. Definitely going to move away from iOS, which I'm thoroughly bored with but need to decide on this or the S4.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Isn't that 16GB? I don't think there's a 32GB one.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Really like the look of the HTC One but the inferior camera (surprisingly I actually use the iPhone camera alot) and the Blinkfeed or whatever it's called are so far putting me off. Definitely going to move away from iOS, which I'm thoroughly bored with but need to decide on this or the S4.
    What makes you think the camera on the HTC One is 'inferior'?

Question

Just how tricky is it to make a switch from iPhone to something like the Galaxy 3 (soon to be 4)???

So far have iPhone 5/iPad 4 and iPod Classic and like the way they all work so well together with my iTunes stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    The Nexus 4 is nice but the screen and build quality are far inferior to the iPhone and HTC One sadly, otherwise I'd have a dabble.
    I'd recommend having another look at the Nexus 4 - for the price vs spec (quad core, 2gb ram, etc) you cant go wrong plus you wont lose much if you decide its not for you. I also think the build quality is comparable to the iPhone 5 (which in my opinion felt cheaper and less premium than previous iPhones) plus the screen on the nexus is a 4.7in display with a 1,280 x 768 pixel resolution with 318ppi vs the 4in display of the iPhone with 1,136 x 640 pixels at 326ppi.

After having a succession of iPhones I made the switch from iOS to Android just before Xmas and havent looked back - iOS is still definitely more polished and consistent in its UI but its so restrictive. Android is a lot slicker now than its ever been and allows for endless customisation should you wish - my next phone will be another Android device too unless Apple can really pull something out the bag in terms of overhauling their OS.

Grand Master
    If it aint broke!
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    What makes you think the camera on the HTC One is 'inferior'?
    It's mentioned on every single review I had read so far.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Accepting its a different OS, I picked up an 8X a week ago and love it. Really impressed with the quality and feel, so if the new model is an improvement all round, it really should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Quote Originally Posted by normal View Post
    Isn't that 16GB? I don't think there's a 32GB one.
    Yes, you're right. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    It's mentioned on every single review I had read so far.
    I'm wondering is it due to the fact that the camera has 'only' four megapixels, and reviewers are stuck in the non-photographers mindset of 'more pixels = better camera' (regardless of the quality of those pixels).

I just had a quick look for reviews there:
    HTC took a big bet by outfitting the One with a four “ultrapixel” camera instead of participating in the megapixel race. If you’re unaware, most phone makers are trying to offer 13-megapixel cameras right now, but HTC doesn’t see the value in that. Instead, it wanted to focus on quality and so added a sensor that takes in more light for higher quality pictures in both light and dim shots, without too much noise and with as much accuracy as possible.

We found that the low light shots were amazing, largely due to the increased sensor size, and that the camera is one of the best on the market right now right up there with Nokia’s Lumia 920.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/htc-one-review/

Apprentice
    I think the One does have some camera software issues. Some people have been reviewing the pre-release version, and others have been reviewing the released version. I'm not sure if a fix has been done inbetween or not, but although the camera is excellent at night, it's merely adequate during the day as there's a lot of processing going on which removes a lot of the detail from the pictures. Also the contrast range seems off. These should hopefully be easy software fixes, as the lense and sensor do seem up to the job.

In summary, the iPhone 5 probably does have the better overall camera at the moment (for both day and night), whilst the One is currently better at night, and should also hopefully improve for daytime shots.

If you want to go with another brand I can realy recomend Motorolas Razr XT910. I toke a swim in a pool with mine last summer and it still working just fine. Aluminum and kevlar B-)

I'm tempted to order the HTC One from Asda (as per the above link) if I don't get on with it, I'm sure I won't lose much.

I'll keep my iphone, just incase I still don't like android.

I got an iPhone a few months ago after 3 years of an employer-enforced BBerry.

To me iOS is new (although Im a Mac fanboy so far as my own kit at home is concerned) and I really couldn't be happier. I have looked at other SPs but nothing to my (plainly entirely prejudiced...) mind comes close - except for the robustness / build quality of a Sony.

I can sort of understand that any OS can get a bit same-y after a while, but I now realise that since I spend over 30 hours a week (a quarter of my wakeful life) in front of a screen of some sort, having comparatively stress free IT that 'just works' is terrifically important : quick, legible, accessible, portable and connects first time.

Unless you work in the IT department or you're worried what the ladies in your yoga class think of your kit, any screen device is a merely tool, a means to an end - so maybe its worth concentrating on whether it can cope with what you actually require it to do. YMMV, as they say...

Needing the stuff to 'just work' was my reason for ditching MS 3 years ago. If I could make Linux work for me, Id be there like a shot too.

Master
    I dumped iOS several months ago. After much research and inquiry, I opted for the Nokia Lumia 920. It is a Windows Phone 8 based platform. I have been very pleased with it. Personally, I don't use lots of "apps", so the smaller availability of apps was not a determinative factor for me.

As a plus, this phone has a Carl Zeiss lens and takes pretty good pictures.

I post this in the for what it's worth department. Of course, your mileage may vary...

I recently ordered a HTC One X+

Bloody Tapatalk!!!!

Try Again.......

I recently ordered a HTC One X+ as they were offering a good deal on O2.
    Having used it for a week I decided to send it back and return to my iPhone4.

I am by no means an apple fanboy (to some degree the opposite) but found the Android OS to much of a faff to use. To many options where a lot of the time I felt them unnecessary. Trying to find an equivalent to few apps I do use took a long time, downloading many apps that were very unpolished and full of adds. I also had a problem with push email to POP3 accounts.

Another problem I had that is HTC specific is that the unlock button was in the top of the phone and very small, this just made it a bit of a pain to unlock.

Although I thought the HTC was pretty much a better device in almost every department, it did make me appreciate the simplicity of iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Needing the stuff to 'just work' was my reason for ditching MS 3 years ago. If I could make Linux work for me, Id be there like a shot too.
    Sadly, the mantra of 'it just works' left apple a while back.

All my stuff is apple (MacBook air, iPad mini, iPhone 5) and i've used apple stuff for over a decade but Jesus does it wind me up at times.

It's definitely not the innovation it used to be - caters for the masses as opposed to making sure things work these days.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Sadly, the mantra of 'it just works' left apple a while back.

All my stuff is apple (MacBook air, iPad mini, iPhone 5) and i've used apple stuff for over a decade but Jesus does it wind me up at times.

It's definitely not the innovation it used to be - caters for the masses as opposed to making sure things work these days.
    I sadly agree. Things aren't half as simple as it was when I first migrated to Macs. On top of that, there are countless bugs and fixes all the time. Add less than perfect hardware and the Apple halo has slipped. Saying that, no one else is better, but Apple is just not that much better than the rest anymore.