closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I think I've cracked the dress watch thing!

I think I've cracked the dress watch thing!

Sports watches are easy - there are so many to choose from, and you can never have too many (well, you can, actually, and I have). I've found it much harder to narrow down the dress watches I want/need in my collection, though, and have flirted with all sorts of brands and complications before finally getting to where I am now. In fact, where I am now is just about the perfect place, hence this post - I'd like to hear some views on whether this makes sense, and/or what others have done to cover the bases. Anyway...

Absolutely classic, as simple as it gets and fitting even the traditional definition of a dress watch

More complicated, and really a cross between dressy and sporty if there is such a thing. A "dress chrono"

Stunningly beautiful, as complicated as they come (well, not quite but you know what I mean) and georgeously smart even if not classically dress

Now I just need to reduce my sports watches to about 5 and I'm sorted
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th March 2013 at 20:48.

Glashutte, very very understated and extremely stylish and suit worthy! AND you don't have to worry about what day it is when the canapés go on for ever!

Master
    Stunning trio. I love the simplicity of the Glashutte.

Dave

Banned
    Now you can go shopping for some beautiful clothes to go with them. A man cant live in jeans and moody black rollnecks and nothing else ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Now you can go shopping for some beautiful clothes to go with them. A man cant live in jeans and moody black rollnecks and nothing else ;)
    And why not???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    And why not???
    Ha! i knew you would say that! For the same reason you need more than one watch of one type

I don't think there are any 'hard and fast' rules about dress watches, but whilst the Glashutte it's the cleanest, to me it's a little 'clinical' to be 'dress' watch (If you take 'dress' to be short for 'dressing up' :D)

It looks a little like a wall clock you'd find in the BMW factory or a German railway station :D

Don't get me wrong, the first two are lovely watches I'd be happy to own and wear (I find the final one a bit fussy, truth be told), but, for me, you've not quite cracked it yet...

Of course, that matters not a jot if you like them

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    All 3 are lovely Tony, but that JLC annoys as to me the dials are in the wrong place. The date should read from left to right so the day of the week should be at 9, with the date at 12, and then the month and year at 3.

How do they all switch over, are they perfectly synced snapping over at midnight?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't think there are any 'hard and fast' rules about dress watches, but whilst the Glashutte it's the cleanest, to me it's a little 'clinical' to be 'dress' watch (If you take 'dress' to be short for 'dressing up' :D)

It looks a little like a wall clock you'd find in the BMW factory or a German railway station :D

Don't get me wrong, the first two are lovely watches I'd be happy to own and wear (I find the final one a bit fussy, truth be told), but, for me, you've not quite cracked it yet...

Of course, that matters not a jot if you like them

M.
    Bugger - better carry on looking then

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave View Post
    All 3 are lovely Tony, but that JLC annoys as to me the dials are in the wrong place. The date should read from left to right so the day of the week should be at 9, with the date at 12, and then the month and year at 3.

How do they all switch over, are they perfectly synced snapping over at midnight?
    Yes, it's like watching a very tight dance troupe

Journeyman
    That JLC is stunning. What model is that?

Lovely threesome there Tony, well done

I appreciate the GO, and the movement is a thing of beauty, but I do find it a little austere somehow.

Probably a daft question knowing me but what does the window in the month sub dial signify in the JLC? I thought initially it was a weeks of the years counter but that can't be the case if the the pic was taken in February.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    It's certainly very handsome, but I've always felt that particular GO is quite a sporty dress watch, as it shares a similarly chunky case to the Panomatic line which are sporty. For me it's the Senator 60's models that offer the classical dress elegance in GO's range. 3 lovely watches nonetheless, with a nice variance between each.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Agree with Glasshute absolute class and this is my dress watch grail

Sorry Tony, but you're missing one

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Lovely threesome there Tony, well done

I appreciate the GO, and the movement is a thing of beauty, but I do find it a little austere somehow.

Probably a daft question knowing me but what does the window in the month sub dial signify in the JLC? I thought initially it was a weeks of the years counter but that can't be the case if the the pic was taken in February.

Cheers,
    Gary
    It's the year, Gary. Obvious when you know

Oh, and Ross, I miss that one. I should never have sold it, in fact!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th March 2013 at 15:37.

It's the year, Gary. Obvious when you know
    D'oh! I knew it was a stupid question, lol!

Thanks Tony.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    :o)

On the collection Tony, I think you've got it down, though the Glashutte is a little too simple for my taste, my preference would be for something like the JLC Master Hometime. I also love the rose gold JLC you have there, close to the definitive dress watch IMHO.

I look forward to getting up close to these at at the next GTG!

A great trio, Tony! There's certainly something to having a balance between simple and busy, but the JLC is my fave there (and I love a great GO or Zenith).

Banned
    I'm gonna be a misery guts Tony.. The Glashutte and Zenith are cleanly designed watches, but lack something special IMHO, and do nothing for me at all.On the other hands, the JLC is amazing, different class.

The Glashutte that Hilly posted is stunning too.

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    I'm gonna be a misery guts Tony.. The Glashutte and Zenith are cleanly designed watches, but lack something special IMHO, and do nothing for me at all.On the other hands, the JLC is amazing, different class.

The Glashutte that Hilly posted is stunning too.
    Yes, I agree that the JLC is in a class of its own. I do love the PanomaticVenue Lunar and nearly bought one myself, but I've concluded that I don't take to modern iterations of the moon phase complication for some reason.

I love the JLC. One of the things I can at least look forward to when getting older is that it will open up a whole new range of watches that I can comfortably wear - gold.

For the time being I will have to stick with steel (or white gold if I could ever afford it).

Lovely Trio Tony, I like your new GO for its simpliticy , must say after owning your old GO and now currently wearing a JLC RDM I prefer the JLC case shape and compilcation and feel that is a dress watch or a jean watch! I just feel the JLC has more presence somehow not that I'm looking for presence, that's my take on it anyway..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    They are all stunning bug for me I'd just wear the JLC. Sheer class.

Craftsman
    All 3 are very beautiful. The JLC and Zenith are a little too busy for my tastes in a dress watch. The GO exudes class but I agree that somehow it seems a little cold and austere. My grail dress watch is the GS SBGW035. I love the warm cream dial and the box sapphire and blued seconds hand gives just a little extra visual interest. I also prefer a more traditional size. The current exchange rates are making it very tempting.

Last edited by GlennO; 16th March 2013 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    All 3 are very beautiful. The JLC and Zenith are a little too busy for my tastes in a dress watch. The GO exudes class but I agree that somehow it seems a little cold and austere. My grail dress watch is the GS SBGW035. I love the warm cream dial and the box sapphire and blued seconds hand gives just a little extra visual interest. I also prefer a more traditional size. The current exchange rates are making it very tempting.

Yes, that's certainly a lovely watch.

With regard to the perceived "austerity" of the GO, I suspect that I've not done it any favours in the way that I've photographed it. I'm getting to grips with some new flash heads and when I get it wrong the lighting simply doesn't work (well, it does but you know what I mean). Anyway, I've worked out how to soften it a bit, and I think this photo is more representative of how the watch actually looks. Rather lovely, in fact.

I quite like the Panerai Radiomirs as a dress watch.

Tony

I don't think it's possible to crack the dress watch "thing"; you, of all, should know that. The updated photo of the GO is certainly an improvement though I still think there are others more pleasing; not least of which would be the moonphase, big date that's already been posted. As a matter of intest what lead you to offload the Cartier?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Tony

I don't think it's possible to crack the dress watch "thing"; you, of all, should know that. The updated photo of the GO is certainly an improvement though I still think there are others more pleasing; not least of which would be the moonphase, big date that's already been posted. As a matter of intest what lead you to offload the Cartier?
    Yes, I agree that the dress watch conundrum is inevitably an ongoing project - this one popped up and satisfied my craving for simplicity, Alan.

As for the Cartier, one or two predicted that if it was a Reverso I really wanted then nothing else would do . Sadly they were right, but the Basculante is nevertheless a wonderful watch with a superb movement and impeccable heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Glashutte is close but hands are a little far from dressy IMO. Basculante was a lot closer & yes you need a Reverso.
    That may have just been resolved, as it happens

The hands are the same as GO use on their PC, I believe. Anyway, I didn't buy it because it's the perfect watch - I bought it because it's a lovely watch and very, very good value for money.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My view, FWIW, is that there are only really two styles that count as "dress": white face, no date, elegant simplicity (like the Glasshutte - or the Grand Seiko); and the grand horologie look of your JLC photo.

Dressed up chronos, divers, aviation styles are just that "dressed up" but not "dress".

Craftsman
    Very nice. Mentally wrestling with dress/dressier watches myself at the moment.

I think the GO is excellent. Personally I would say it was elegant rather than austere. To me it is like saying black/white tie isn't very colourful - it misses the whole point of the thing.

However, that's just me & no criticism of others' thoughts intended - I've been wearing a diver with a suit all week anyway.

Ryan

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbear View Post
    My view, FWIW, is that there are only really two styles that count as "dress": white face, no date, elegant simplicity (like the Glasshutte - or the Grand Seiko); and the grand horologie look of your JLC photo.

Dressed up chronos, divers, aviation styles are just that "dressed up" but not "dress".
    +1

If PP Calatrava is considered as one of the best dress watches it can´t be too busy. JLC Ultra Thin would be good option as well.

I've got to say, Tony, that those three are stunning. All would look great in any collection. For me the JLC is the winner, but no complaints about the others!

The JLC is the all out winner for me, I'm very jealous!

Craftsman
    Yes, that's certainly a lovely watch.

With regard to the perceived "austerity" of the GO, I suspect that I've not done it any favours in the way that I've photographed it. I'm getting to grips with some new flash heads and when I get it wrong the lighting simply doesn't work (well, it does but you know what I mean). Anyway, I've worked out how to soften it a bit, and I think this photo is more representative of how the watch actually looks. Rather lovely, in fact.
    Yes, and I've since seen some of your other pics, a wrist shot in particular which gave me a more appealing impression.

in the budget catagory the rose gold cased black dialed orient bambino, has to be the clear winner, also in my humble opinion take out some of its top priced cousins.

I think I've cracked the dress watch thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Newbear View Post

Also should have leather strap and no Lume IMO, but I'm sure others will disagree

I think this qualifies, or at least it does for me

Banned
    Blog Entries

Stunning

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Stunning
    Not here yet, Tim - I stole those

All of them beautiful, IMHO the JLC a bit more.

My OCD however itches at the different position of the hour/minute hands in the pics!

Hi Tony

Must be near fever pitch excitement in the LTF household then....Lovely watch that one !

Enjoy it....

Best - Neil

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thought they were a bit good

Tony - are these your own photographs? They're excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by M4FFU View Post
    Tony - are these your own photographs? They're excellent!
    Thanks - I do try

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Tony

I don't think it's possible to crack the dress watch "thing"; you, of all, should know that...
    Nobody likes a smart-ass

Reverso envy....!