closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this look crooked to you?

Does this look crooked to you?

Customer sent me this picture and stated that the dial is crooked.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    It does look slighty skewed counterclockwise with regards to the red cross hairs, for instance this is noticeable at the top of the lume triangle. However how do we know that the crosshairs are correct?

Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    It does look slighty skewed counterclockwise with regards to the red cross hairs, for instance this is noticeable at the top of the lume triangle. However how do we know that the crosshairs are correct?
    Take into account the magnification and the fact that the picture may not be taken 100% head-on.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Looks fine to me.

Send it back in two weeks, with a complimentary repair slip. Apologise for a manufacturing error, now repaired. See if that fixes it...!

Craftsman
    Actually I've just checked it on cad and I think the vertical cross hair is skewed clockwise.

Master
    To me it looks just a little bit off, yes - the 12 marker looks about 20 seconds "slow" relative to the case - ie a little closer to the left top lug than the right.

To my eye, the printing of the arrow appears to be slightly off. Everything else appears to line up okay.

If you ignore the crosshairs, there might be a slight tilt anti-clockwise. Hard to tell though.

Somebody needs to determine the exact centre point of the case and see if the markings line up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    Actually I've just checked it on cad and I think the vertical cross hair is skewed clockwise.
    Yep! Assuming it is central on the 6 marker it goes slightly right of the axis of the hands, to the right of the apex of the triangle and the right half of the 12 marker.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It's very hard to tell from the picture...is it taken directly head on for instance. Also,it looks to me as though the cross hairs are not centred on the face.

Looks fine, the picture is blurred and the cross is nowhere near the centre, if it is out it would be so minimal that you would never know on the wrist.

Yes it does. However, this mainly shows due to the "2" being out of sink.

Strangely enough I just had another watch with a similar issue. Based on the superimposed crosshairs it does look a gnat's off.

How about a pic without the crosshairs, as there's a good chance these are imperfect and introducing a perceived misalignment?

Slightly anti-clockwise compared to the lugs and the bracelet. Forget the crosshairs as the photo isn't straight on 100%, just look at the 12 and 6 markers compared to the bracelet.

Forget the crooked dial, look how far the 7 and 8 markers have wandered!

Grand Master
    should the crosshairs be over the centre of the hands? they look a good bit off.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Looks fine and wouldn't bother me a bit. Then again I wear old things and am not anal retentive about that kind of detail....if its even off.

Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post
    Looks fine and wouldn't bother me a bit. Then again I wear old things and am not anal retentive about that kind of detail....if its even off.
    I think that's the critical issue - the level of anal retention.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    should the crosshairs be over the centre of the hands? they look a good bit off.
    ... but they do go through the centre of the 3/6/9/12 markers, so the fact that they don't cross above the spindle...

This thread could run and run.

As others have said the cross hairs are not perfectly centered on the hand spindle, but the dial printing looks perfectly OK to me for a watch at that price point and even at several times the price.

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone for whom that dial was an issue.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Ten characters are seven too many... OCD.

Master
    Well from the pic, which isnt great it does look slightly off. Likely camera angle though,
    or could somebody be paying you a compliment Eddie by faking your watches lol.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Customer sent me this picture and stated that the dial is crooked.
    Customer may need a life more than a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Slightly anti-clockwise compared to the lugs and the bracelet. Forget the crosshairs as the photo isn't straight on 100%, just look at the 12 and 6 markers compared to the bracelet.
    I agree. Trying to go by the crosshairs is pointless, but it does look slightly off if you ignore them.

Re: Does this look crooked to you?

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I genuinely feel sorry for anyone for whom that dial was an issue.
    Agreed!

imo one can't state anything from an iphone pict, taken "by hand", of a watch on a table

Apprentice
    I can't see anything 'crooked'

Blog Entries
    It's really difficult to tell. The photo is taken from an angle very slightly to the left of centre (i.e. a small amount of the vertical surface of the top left lug can be seen but none of the vertical surface of the top right lug can be seen) so any misalignment of the dial would be unclear due to the angle.

If the dial is misaligned then I think it's by a tiny amount but I personally just can't be sure from the photo.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 21st March 2013 at 02:34.

Both the photograph and the crosshairs are the customer's, I haven't touched the picture.

Eddie

The crosshairs are right of the spindle, but sit left on the strap. It's not quite right, but as everyone ha said without it in your hands you will ever know.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I agree with Eddie, that its tricky to judge from the picture as its not 100% dead on...

I have rotated the image, so its now actually square on, left to right and it actually does look more off... I have added blue lines. But without seeing the actual watch its almost impossible to tell. And the magnification always makes thing look worse!

Eddie, you must see hundreds of new watches a year, so you are certainly the expert here!

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    The blue crosshairs show my impression (that the original crosshair appeared offcentre of the top of the bracelet - although the blue looks offcentre at the bottom - and therefore the dial may be crooked), but it's impossible to be sure from a photo.

You could make it sit straight to the blue crosshairs in the photo and make it look much worse first hand!

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The blue crosshairs show my impression (that the original crosshair appeared offcentre of the top of the bracelet - although the blue looks offcentre at the bottom - and therefore the dial may be crooked), but it's impossible to be sure from a photo.

You could make it sit straight to the blue crosshairs in the photo and make it look much worse first hand!

M.
    I just made sure the case was square in that picture... I still think there is a 'tilt' to it. Difficult to tell!

Totally agree that is can be made to look better or worse with the crosshairs.

Journeyman
    As stated before, you will need to see it to be sure. However the first Speedbird GMT picture on the Timefactors web site looks very similar to the posted image; I assume this GMT is fine?

Sv: Does this look crooked to you?

Yes looks a bit off. I've had this on a couple of watches and it annoys the he'll out of me. Most people don't even see it, but if you do you see it clearly every time.

I definitely think this should be taken seriously, I hardly think anyone would make this up. Some people just see these deviations very clearly and it can be very annoying.
    Last edited by _jonte; 21st March 2013 at 17:25.

Quote Originally Posted by _jonte View Post
    I hardly think anyone would make this up.
    May I introduce you to Goldstone?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Is everyone blind the watch is fine the bracelet is not lined up square to the watch christ we ain't half got some whingers on here lately.
    Paul.

Very hard to tell for sure from what looks like a dodgy iphone pic. Also, neither his crosshairs nor the later blue ones actually intersect at the centre of the dial, which I'd have thought was pretty fundamental if either were to be useful.

If he's convinced it's off, why has he not just sent it back?

Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    Is everyone blind the watch is fine the bracelet is not lined up square to the watch christ we ain't half got some whingers on here lately.
    Paul.
    Forget the bracelet... I lined up the lugs, which you have to assume are straight and square. You then take it from there...

Another pic?

Hi eddie,

Do you have a pic minus the crosshairs? The eye is drawn to these so a clear picture would help I think

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by 41northpole View Post
    Hi eddie,

Do you have a pic minus the crosshairs? The eye is drawn to these so a clear picture would help I think

Tim
    The picture was supplied by the customer so I have only the one with the crosshairs.

Eddie

The crosshairs, the bracelet and everything else only complicate the issue.

You need a clear picture, dead centre, and you need to line up the 12 o'clock marking between the lugs.

The most you can say from this picture is it looks like it might be out slightly, but it's hard to tell.

If it were me, I'd want to take a look at it in person though.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    The crosshairs, the bracelet and everything else only complicate the issue. You need a clear picture, dead centre, and you need to line up the 12 o'clock marking between the lugs. The most you can say from this picture is it looks like it might be out slightly, but it's hard to tell. If it were me, I'd want to take a look at it in person though.
    I would argue that if you need to go through all that to be sure, it's hardly worth worrying about.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    The crosshairs, the bracelet and everything else only complicate the issue.

You need a clear picture, dead centre, and you need to line up the 12 o'clock marking between the lugs.

The most you can say from this picture is it looks like it might be out slightly, but it's hard to tell.

If it were me, I'd want to take a look at it in person though.
    Agreed. The current photo (even if it was without crosshairs) just wouldn't be quite good enough since, as I mentioned in a post above, it's taken at an angle from slightly to the left of the centre of the dial (and possibly also slightly towards the top of the watch from the centre of the dial), and this skews any judgement about the angle of the dial within the case.

A friend said the same about my 22.

If this helps you Eddie? Crosshairs gone and rules showing lugs are level... still don't know about any tilt.

You would really have to examine it as closely at actual size to notice any problems.

Apprentice
    Should ve gone to Spec Savers

Isn't it quite likely that the customer in question will be viewing this forum? Maybe its just me but customer service by public committee (and ridicule) seems a bit wrong.

As the question has been asked I'd say to my eyes it dial looks rotated slightly anticlockwise

David

Craftsman
    I'm not sure the phoo os straight, but it certainly looks crooked to me.

Compare the 11 marker and the 1 marker: both markers aligns their right hand edges with the lug, whereas if they were aligned they should mirror each other?

Andrew