closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CARBOOTSUNDAY

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

CARBOOTSUNDAY

I have been in my new (old) house in Torquay just 9 days and love the place.
    Thanks to Admin and all TZ Members for your good wishes and comments.
    I've discovered the house is late 18th century. I thought it was around 1824, but a neighbour has the original deeds.
    Builders are still here completing my new exterior Finishing/Polishing room, which should be ready by the end of this week.
    Can't wait !
    Meanwhile, to keep out of their way I sampled one or two of the local Boot Sales.
    Didn't find a lot but it was freezing cold and I wasn't that enthusiastic.
    However, a few bits and a couple of watches at least:

A Timor ladies/childs blind persons watch. Calibre AS 970 incabloc.

I can't imagine anything worse than losing ones sight (after ones marbles that is !):

Also a new Swiss 30 minute recorder, Calibre JB 3-68 for almost nothing, can't be bad !

Then found a sculpture signed Aug Moreau 1850-1921. It's about 21 1/2 inches tall and in good condition.

I have the perfect alcove for it.

Won't add much to my retirement fund though as it's made of spelter not bronze.

Then found a Victorian mahogany bookcase. Something I've needed for a long time:

Gave it a good wash with warm soapy water, then a quick rub over with French polish and fitted the shelves:

I also bought two Victorian interior surface door locks with keys, which will replace the modern handles on my Georgian doors.

And finally what appears to be a hand made Afghanistani 19th century horse blanket or rug measuring 4ft x 6ft, one end is wider than the other:

Well that's all my free time used up !

The rest of this week will be one of intense watch repairing and hopefully polishing !

Brendan.
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 24th March 2013 at 21:30.

Nice finds! I need to get to more car boot sales.

Grand Master
    i love the random finds on these threads Brendan!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Re: CARBOOTSUNDAY

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    i love the random finds on these threads Brendan!
    Very random, but always entertaining and interesting!

Was unable to go car-booting today due to being unable to find the car. It was there Friday night, but all there was in the driveway today was a big white mound of cold ;(

Craftsman
    brendan, have you looked at the local art gallery there? some nice original oil paintings in the gallery. and they also have a few others on show in hoopers. the coffee and view from hoopers ain't bad when you got a window seat! it more of a retirement vilage than a place of work nowadays judging by the amount of closed shops.

am sure you will enjoy the area..... hope you don't like football, the team is rubbish... bit better than exeter though!

More great finds Brendan!

Love the bookcase and rug.

I'll be out this holiday weekend as all the big bootsales will be open, weather permitting of course.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    More great finds Brendan!

Love the bookcase and rug.

I'll be out this holiday weekend as all the big bootsales will be open, weather permitting of course.
    'Weather permitting'? Last carboot I went to Neil was back in November and it was freezing & miserable then, much like every Sunday of 2012! For me, with the exception of one large hit, last year was the worst season ever, real tat everywhere with everybody & everyone crawling over each other in a noticeably nasty and desperate atmosphere, for anything that may have escaped the Charity shop bin liner. I've been doing this stuff for 25 years or so and can't beleive its nearly April and I ain't had a crafty 6.30am Sunday getaway yet.

This weekend looks like another weekend lost. If I was a seller there's no way I'd stand out in this crap for 5hrs. The fun element is rapidly running out for me, but I'll be out again should temperatures ever reach the dizzy heights of 15deg or so!

Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post

This weekend looks like another weekend lost. If I was a seller there's no way I'd stand out in this crap for 5hrs. The fun element is rapidly running out for me, but I'll be out again should temperatures ever reach the dizzy heights of 15deg or so!
    Couldn't agree more.

This easter weekend which is traditionally a bit good for boot sales looks like it may be a wash out too!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great finds I like that rug and pocket watch

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I have been in my new (old) house in Torquay just 9 days and love the place.
    Thanks to Admin and all TZ Members for your good wishes and comments.
    I've discovered the house is late 18th century. I thought it was around 1824, but a neighbour has the original deeds.
    Builders are still here completing my new exterior Finishing/Polishing room, which should be ready by the end of this week.
    Can't wait !
    Meanwhile, to keep out of their way I sampled one or two of the local Boot Sales.
    Didn't find a lot but it was freezing cold and I wasn't that enthusiastic.
    However, a few bits and a couple of watches at least:

A Timor ladies/childs blind persons watch. Calibre AS 970 incabloc.

I can't imagine anything worse than losing ones sight (after ones marbles that is !):

Also a new Swiss 30 minute recorder, Calibre JB 3-68 for almost nothing, can't be bad !

Then found a sculpture signed Aug Moreau 1850-1921. It's about 21 1/2 inches tall and in good condition.

I have the perfect alcove for it.

Won't add much to my retirement fund though as it's made of spelter not bronze.

Then found a Victorian mahogany bookcase. Something I've needed for a long time:

Gave it a good wash with warm soapy water, then a quick rub over with French polish and fitted the shelves:

I also bought two Victorian interior surface door locks with keys, which will replace the modern handles on my Georgian doors.

And finally what appears to be a hand made Afghanistani 19th century horse blanket or rug measuring 4ft x 6ft, one end is wider than the other:

Well that's all my free time used up !

The rest of this week will be one of intense watch repairing and hopefully polishing !

Brendan.