closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patio stones or decking

Patio stones or decking

The SWMBO has decided that we need a new patio. I can't decide on slabs or decking. It's a similar cost. I know that a patio will last longer an no maintenance but I do like the thought of decking.
    Any experiences.

Andy

Craftsman
    defo go with the slabs.....decking is dangerous when wet and old

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I have a large decked area and wish I had gone for slabs having spent £6k on it. Nightmare when wet, maintenance is a pain and very dangerous when algae has grown on it after a few months or when wet so needs regular cleaning.

B

Master
    Have a look at the "Strata" range of Indian Sandstone kits. Blooming gorgeous and not as expensive as you might think. Lasts a lifetime (+) if laid properly.

Mike

A few friends have some lovely decking - so it depends on what you want and how you want it to look, but I'd prefer the slabs.
    It's just a matter of time...

Decking is more slippery than ice. There's a reason commercial premises have chicken wire nailed onto their decking.

Decking looks nice but slabs are better. Last longer, easier to look after and no rodent problems. I am likely to rip up our decking next year

Decking means rat city and I can speak from experience.

Just to be a little contrary have a look at Balau hardwood decking;

http://www.edecks.co.uk/deptsearch/Balau/

We out a raised deck into our garden a couple of years ago and whilst the deck does need looking after it still looks fantastic. It has a reddish hue to it and looks nothing like the cheap decking you get. 2 years in and no warping, no splitting, no creaking, it's really very good stuff. It may have been salesmanship blurb but I seem to remember it being the wood they use on ships decks (those that have wooden decks anyhow).

Tell her that if she wants a patio she can have whatever she wants.

As long as she builds it.

HTH.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I'm the (ex) owner-manager of the most qualified & accredited privately owned paving company in Essex.

We won half a dozen national awards & worked at stately homes, as well as completing several projects within National Heritage areas (Hyde Park, The Tower of London/St. Katherine's Docks etc) across London.

I'm not touting for your job I'm just highlighting that we weren't "bodgers".

I simply wouldn't offer decking as one of our services though because of the long-term maintenance/'slipperiness' issues so my 'expert advice' would be.......

Go with traditional paving.

(P.S. Decking SHOULD be substantially, ie:25-30%+? cheaper than flag paving depending on site conditions IMO: unless you're getting real oak & even then it should still be 10% or more cheaper).

Craftsman
    a friend of mine lost his life on decking when he slipped and banged his head on concrete...

so paving for me

Master
    Composite decking....

http://deck.me.uk/

These guys fit a composite high quality material that doesn't suffer from the normal wooden decking issues.

Just been ripping my decking up due to a rat problem.
    My neighbour feeds the birds,...a lot. The rats eat at his, and live at mine.
    I rip up £100s pounds of decking, he carries on feeding the birds.

Now he is sulking, because i had to ask him 3 times, the last time firmly.....to stop feeding the effing birds whilst i try and get rid of the rats.

Oh...and its slippery when wet/damp, goes green, worse after i cleaned and treated it .

Decking, one of the worst ideas known to man. Alan Titchmarsh has a lot to answer for.

If not scraped off and refinished every year it becomes a death trap to walk on. Let alone the rodent issue.

Don't even think about it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Tell her that if she wants a patio she can have whatever she wants.

As long as she builds it.

HTH.

Regards

Ian
    It's funny you should say this as I'm already employing the same tactic with the wife and the kitchen she so badly wants.
    "A man of little significance"

If your plot is level then go for slabs. If like me your plot is on a slope then decking is far more versatile. My house is two stories at the front and three at the back so you can imagine the slope we are on. I decked right across the rear of the house and because of the sloping garden I created masses of storage underneath. The storage is dry (it's all felt roofed) and secure with three large panels that are hinged, open out and are padlocked shut when not in use. I built it about 6 years ago now, no problems with it to date. I never treated the timber, I prefer for it to get that lovely silvered look which it's just starting to now. As has been said if you dont maintain it (I jet wash mine annually) then it can get slippy with moss/slime growth.

I'm really glad the OP posted this thread. Up until reading this thread I was going to go for decking for my renovation. With so many people advising against decking I have decided to go for paving slabs now.

Another vote for paving. Not just for safety issues, but also because it looks a million times better if a nice stone is chosen.

Reading this thread has worried me now. I have decking laid at a rental property and aside from the visual green moss that I noticed growing with the last tenants, I didn't consider rats could be an issue. May have a nose under it when I do a condition inspection. Ironically, I ripped up a perfectly good patio to lay the decking!

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post

Now he is sulking, because i had to ask him 3 times, the last time firmly.....to stop feeding the effing birds whilst i try and get rid of the rats.

Oh...and its slippery when wet/damp, goes green, worse after i cleaned and treated it .
    http://www.theairguncentre.com/onlin.../137-mk4-st-is

Thar y'go

Decking was fine when confined to a small area at the end of a garden vista and covered with a pergola. I despaired when I saw it grow to some all encompassing garden design remedy, moving ever closer to sit against conservatories and buildings across the land. Whenever I hear someone talk about 'bringing the inside outside' I want to rip and rend. That nauseating cliche is ranked firmly alongside other sickly sweet ones like 'light and airy' and 'bringing the outside inside'.

I would heartily recommend choosing stone over decking. Longevity, appearance, safety, value are all factors I would be considering whilst deliberating.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post

Sounds like his birds your rats, the birds benefit from feeding during this cold spell.

Thanks for all your comment guys. I reckon paving is the way to go.

What a great place this is,

Andy

Makes me glad I chose patio over decking, never even thought about a possible rat problem though !!

Personally I would go for slabs if level or close to level. My father in law has a sloping site and went for decking. But as a roofer he refused to use timber decking due to algae and slipping issues. He went for composite decking and 12 months on it is algae free.

Composite decking looks a good alternative and seems to cover all the negatives o wooden decking except rats!

Master
    composite decking is the future. Anti slip, never needs painting and if its installed properly, will not attract rats.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Have a look at the "Strata" range of Indian Sandstone kits. Blooming gorgeous and not as expensive as you might think. Lasts a lifetime (+) if laid properly.

Mike
    I had a look at these today, very nice. They have sone nice limestone ones in black

Andy

If you worry about rats, leave a small access hatch so you can set traps or rat bait boxes.