closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Sumo diving strap suggestion?

Blog Entries

Seiko Sumo diving strap suggestion?

Gonna go on my first beach trip EVER and thought I'd take my Seiko sumo for both casual and swimming purposes.
    I'm planning on keeping it on a home made leather nato for the days, and something else for swimming.
    I've got an anvil bracelet for it, but I'm not that into metal during hot weather conditions.
    I'm thinking of perhaps trying the timefactors retro rubber....

What do you suggest?
    I REALLY don't want to risk dropping it in the ocean, which is a concern I have.
    And I must admit. I'm really not that into rubber, but I guess it's practical.
    Last edited by yonsson; 21st July 2012 at 21:49.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm.....

How about a good old fashioned nylon NATO? As supplied as standard on most military issue divers watches.
    Love my orange sumo on Eddies Bond with a twist NATO...

Edit to add, I also have a lumpy bracelet and Eddies retro rubber and both look great on the sumo too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    How about a good old fashioned nylon NATO? As supplied as standard on most military issue divers watches.
    Love my orange sumo on Eddies Bond with a twist NATO...

Edit to add, I also have a lumpy bracelet and Eddies retro rubber and both look great on the sumo too.
    Thanks for the fast reply! I love natos, I just feels it's the boring safe choice, since I always wear natos or bracelet.
    What version to you have of the rubber for your sumo? Straight or curved? Any pictures?
    And does it stay put on the rubber, or are you worried about dropping it, while on the rubber?

Mine is currently on an orange Zulu strap from Eddie, possibly too orange as a combo but unlikely to be taken for boring!
    The original round ended retro rubber fits ok. Will have a look for pics later but not sure I have any...

Blog Entries
    Man, this is hard! Perhaps this could be fitted to a seiko clasp... That would surely look nice, and keep the watch safe on the wrist.

Or a curved aftermarket omega rubber...

Picture of original Omega rubber on sumo:
    Last edited by yonsson; 21st July 2012 at 22:27.

Craftsman

Exclamation

I got me one of these for my Sumo; http://www.watches88.com/pd-seiko-20...bber-strap.cfm
    A perfect fit IMHO,and it already comes with a Seiko clasp ;)

To be honest I can't understand why these aren't included with the Sumo when bought new.

God Jakt!

Blog Entries
    I thought I might as well up some photos as I narrow down my choices.

Sumo on retro rubber. Will leave a gap, but since the strap has horizontal gap in the design, this might look good anyway.

This might also be a nice way to go.
    Last edited by yonsson; 22nd July 2012 at 16:19.

I have mine on a TF retro rubber (the thicker version with the tubes). By taking out the tubes, I was able to fit the OEM fat spring bars with no problems.
    It's a very comfy strap that keeps the watch nicely in place on the wrist, and because of its thinkness near the lug-ends there is almost no visible gap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    I have mine on a TF retro rubber (the thicker version with the tubes). By taking out the tubes, I was able to fit the OEM fat spring bars with no problems.
    It's a very comfy strap that keeps the watch nicely in place on the wrist, and because of its thinkness near the lug-ends there is almost no visible gap.
    That's exactly what I was hoping for! No gap, and fat bars! To bad timefactors is down for the moment.

I had the camera out today, so I snapped a quick pic of the Sumo on the tube version of Eddie's retro rubber:

Here is the watch on the MM300 rubber strap (not a bad fit either):

The perspective isn't quite the same, but you can see that on the MM300 strap the gap is still noticeable while the retro rubber eliminates it almost completely.
    One thing to note is the length of the retro rubber. I have average size wrists (roughly 18 cm) and on the Sumo I'm wearing the strap on the first hole! Must have been designed for the Hulk...
    Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Holy guackamoly! That looks awesome! Thanks for taking the time! I like that the mm-rubber gives it a rocker look, but I think I'll go for the retro strap, if I don't stumble upon a cheap mm strap before timefactors open again.

Blog Entries
    I went with the timefactors retro rubber. It fits perfect with the original Seiko fat bars. I've been wearing it for a week in Rome (+36*c) and it look and feels great! I've now got new love for my sumo. I've never been a rubber guy, but man it's good looking and comfy!!! I'll take some better pictures in a few days. Thanks for the help everyone!

glad you like it :)

Great combo, isn't it? The TF rubber has become my favorite strap for the Sumo because it is so comfortable. It's hefty enough to hold the heavy watch in place, but has just the right amount of stretchiness. Did you get the tube or the flat version?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Great combo, isn't it? The TF rubber has become my favorite strap for the Sumo because it is so comfortable. It's hefty enough to hold the heavy watch in place, but has just the right amount of stretchiness. Did you get the tube or the flat version?
    The tube version, since it will fill up the space between the lugs and the case +That way I can still use the fat bars.

Blog Entries
    And a picture for reference:

full size picture here

Blog Entries
    Okej. Just one more. Wearing it right now, and I love it!

nice strap :)

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post

This might also be a nice way to go.
    Revived thread:- what is this please?! How does one find such a rubber to go with the steel end-links? It looks fantastic.
    TIA.

Blog Entries
    I think it's from ebay. It's been cut to fit he lug ends.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    I mean cut to fit the bracelets end links.

Master
    I've recently bought an Isofrane rubber strap for my new Steinhart. I have to say it is very soft and comfortable. Very tactile.

But if a similar product can be go elsewhere for a better price, then all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Revived thread:- what is this please?! How does one find such a rubber to go with the steel end-links? It looks fantastic.
    TIA.
    I'm still not sure if the end links are from a bracelet and then attached to the rubber - sorry, I'm being dim! Looks ace though, very much like a Pelagos.

Hi mate,
    here's my suggestion.
    Di-Modell Pilot 20mm.

I received it ontuestday and already gone swimming 3 times with it.
    The last one half an hour ago.
    It's 100m water resistant strap (treated leather and waterproof building...check theis website).

Also the shape is really nice and almost perfectly fits the lugs externally.
    The larger part (28mm, same of Z22 seiko) gives the watch a great comfort and stability to the watch on the wrist.

I really like it!
    I ordered a second one just before lunch to fit my Speedy Split seconds.

For an indestructible alternative, go on a Zulu from Eddie. They are the toughest ones you can find around.
    They can really hold the big sumo well positioned on your wrist.
    Just go for the 3 rings one.
    If you take both of them you can easily use the cheapest spring bar remover I found perfect for the Sumo:
    Last edited by gaussman; 4th April 2013 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Man, this is hard! Perhaps this could be fitted to a seiko clasp... That would surely look nice, and keep the watch safe on the wrist.

I use something very similar with a Sinn butterfly deployant. Worked well as a beach/swim option for me.