closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: alternative to IPhone 5

alternative to IPhone 5

Ive been using an iphone for almost three years (iphone 4), it took me six replacements to get one that was reliable and this one has a fault with the screen so im not impressed by quality on these things, also as a phone its pretty dire and I prefer my old Nokia...I also dont like itunes..BUT I do like the access to apps and also its ability to act as a wifi access point and also use podcasts extensively. So my question, does anybody have experience of using the newest smartphones from the likes of Samsung and how do they stack up against the iphone 5? I'm on the point of renewing my contract and Im falling into the old mindset of sticking with iphone to make life easy (and hoping that the new model is more reliable). My new house is located in a nasty mobile black spot, so 3G/4G signal sensitivity is also a consideration.

Cheers Keith

Why not try a Google Nexus 4? Only £279 for the 16Gb sim free model, and you should be able to sell it in a heart beat if you don't get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Why not try a Google Nexus 4? Only £279 for the 16Gb sim free model, and you should be able to sell it in a heart beat if you don't get on with it.
    ok, il check into that model (I hate Google's approach to business though so may struggle emotionally with it!).
    thanks

I like you have been using an iphone for 4 years, Instead of going for the iphone5 I am going for the Samsung S4. I have played with the s3 and am really impressed by it and the S4 is just better than that.

From my friends that have moved from an iphone to a samsung no one has regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I like you have been using an iphone for 4 years, Instead of going for the iphone5 I am going for the Samsung S4. I have played with the s3 and am really impressed by it and the S4 is just better than that.

From my friends that have moved from an iphone to a samsung no one has regretted it.
    Ive had Samsungs in the past and they never broke, so thats a good start, isnt the S4 quite a big old beast though?
    cheers Keith

HTC One (the new aluminium bodied thing from HTC)? Looks amazing and is getting great reviews.

Cheers,

Why not try a Google Nexus 4?
    +1 for the Nexus 4.

Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    Ive had Samsungs in the past and they never broke, so thats a good start, isnt the S4 quite a big old beast though?
    cheers Keith
    It's certainly bigger than an iPhone , but the larger screen is worth it to me. The way I see it anywhere my iPhone fits so can the s4. It's not that much bigger that you can't fit in your pocket etc

iPhone

I've had iPhone 5 for 6 months now . Now problems at all .

Besides , if you have any problems , go into iStore and problem sorted !

Good luck in your quest .

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I've got a Nokia 820 with Windows - very pleased with it,good interface (imo) and works well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    ok, il check into that model (I hate Google's approach to business though so may struggle emotionally with it!).
    thanks

But you're happy with Apple's ???

Not starting a war... just sayin ;)

Banned
    I went for the Nokia 620 because of it's smaller size. I'm quite impressed with W8, other than it's lost the facility to link to your Oulook.

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    But you're happy with Apple's ???

Not starting a war... just sayin ;)
    no but as far as Im concerned they are less evil than Google - not massively but enough to matter to me, I know that a lot of people think the opposite.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I've got a Nokia 820 with Windows - very pleased with it,good interface (imo) and works well.
    I got rid of my iPhone and opted for the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows. I, too, am very please with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    I went for the Nokia 620 because of it's smaller size. I'm quite impressed with W8, other than it's lost the facility to link to your Oulook.
    My 920 is linked to Outlook. I hadn't noticed any problem in that regard. Of course, your mileage may vary...

Journeyman
    I have a Samsung sII and I think it out performs my wife's iPhone. Most of my colleagues have a Samsung SIII and their phones beat mine. So a Samsung SIII or S4 would be my recommendation if you can accept the larger size. I am still not convinced a Windows phone is a good choice, if only because of the limited amount of apps available

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael in Frisco, Texas View Post
    My 920 is linked to Outlook. I hadn't noticed any problem in that regard. Of course, your mileage may vary...
    Well, I can't sync my contacts and calendar and a quick look on the www has lots of similar complaints. Going back as far as WM5 I have been able to do this, but not now.

Journeyman
    Definitely the HTC One!

The new Sony waterproof one seems to be getting good reviews.

Do your research and buy the device that does what you want. All you get in these threads is people telling you what they currently have. I have an iPhone5, but if the Nokia 920 had been available 6 months ago I might well have gone for that. Also, the current thinking that apps in a boring old grids is old hat and the new tile display is better ...........well that is just boredom. What if tiles came first and grids were the "new thing"?
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Do your research and buy the device that does what you want. All you get in these threads is people telling you what they currently have. I have an iPhone5, but if the Nokia 920 had been available 6 months ago I might well have gone for that. Also, the current thinking that apps in a boring old grids is old hat and the new tile display is better ...........well that is just boredom. What if tiles came first and grids were the "new thing"?
    +1 this.

I moved from a blackberry to a htc desire hd and loved it. Work then got me an iphone which I hated, just swapped for an s3 and it is an amazing bit of kit

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    What if tiles came first and grids were the "new thing"?
    I want the new hotness, not the old and busted. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Actually, I just treated myself to a new battery for my Dell Streak. Super old and busted.
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 14th April 2013 at 01:39.

Craftsman
    the galaxy s3 is a cracker and will soon be cheap as chips with the s4 due out very soon.. or this at £200 not to be sniffed at imo

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/unlo...-co-uk-1527942
    Last edited by moggi1; 15th April 2013 at 11:02.

Galaxy S3 or Note - cheaper but not the latest - but hey, who needs the latest - they will do most things and do them very well - better than an iPhone5 imho too. Hell, a Galaxy S2 is about all the smart phone I would ever need, but I prefer the bigger screen of the Galaxy note for my purposes.

If you need the latest wait for the iPhone 6 or Galaxy S4.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS Actually, I just treated myself to a new battery for my Dell Streak. Super old and busted.
    RLF
    You can write some code to decide if a 5"-screened phone is hip or not. Something that follows this cod logic:

/* Is 5inchscreencool=TRUE? */

If (Brand=="Samsung")
    Printf ("Yes, it's the new hotness\n");
    Else
    If (Brand=="Dell")
    Printf ("Alright grandpa, nice retro tablet you've got to your ear there\n");
    Else
    Printf ("Wait and see if more hipsters buy large phones\n");

I had a Dell S5, and it was ahead of its time. It took a fashionable brand to make a 5" phablet cool, sadly...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post

Best wishes,
    Bob

RLF
    The new battery makes a huge difference! It lasts about 2x as long as it had been lasting, and maybe 1.5x as long as when I first got it.

It is a Mugan 1800mAh replacing a Dell 1530mAh battery. I've been using the Dell battery (heavily) for a year, and it was probably at least a year old when I started using it. These types of batteries degrade even when not used. In addition, the phone had become a bit flaky with regard to battery charges. (Quick to charge; quick to empty.) It is great for the battery to be simply replaceable, since the battery is, essentially, a consumable part.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 19th April 2013 at 15:48.

i like the Nokia Lumia 920 its quite big though but its got 4G its stronger than the iPhone it uses windows phone 8 which is so simple and brilliant to use it also has wireless charging like a toothbrush its about the same price aswell

Quote Originally Posted by JAMP0T1 View Post
    i like the Nokia Lumia 920 its quite big though but its got 4G its stronger than the iPhone it uses windows phone 8 which is so simple and brilliant to use it also has wireless charging like a toothbrush its about the same price aswell
    A mobile phone for the price of a toothbrush? Where?

F.T.F.A.

HTC ONE, makes my iphone 5 look postivley low tech. That machined body WOW!

I have ordered the S4, can't wait for a change (I've had a numerous iPhone models for about 5 years now).