closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Milgauss, and an incoming!

Journeyman
    In my opinion the MilGauss is the best looking of the Rolex watches today, although I prefer the standard over the GV. I had the chance to get one years ago but when for a Breitling instead. But hey ho, hind sight is a wonderful thing.

Master
    I considered a GV but didn't like the orange batons so went for the standard black dialled version instead. I'm glad i did, as the dial on mine ranges from deep black, through charcoal to chocolate depending on how the light hits it and i wouldn't have got that effect through the green glass.

I actually think these will become collectable in years to come, they've got everything going for them, perfect size, unique case, unique dials, unique second hand, unique case back and not sold in huge numbers.

Well, my 15 year old son (who owns - but barely wears - 2 G-Shocks and is therefore as much of an expert as anyone) reckons it's the nicest watch I've ever bought. That's what he told me last night, anyway

Banned
    I looked at one of these while trying the "Hulk" sub, and nice as it was the Hulk was the clear winner.

Hmm. Nice choice Tony.. I had looked at these a few times but nothing came up when had the cash..

i would be happy with either of the 3 models.. Sporty but smart at the same time.. Love it.

though if I had to choose between that and my hulk not sure it would be an easy decision.. I think the hulk would still take it :)

They're completely different watches though, Matt. If I wanted a diver-style sports watch I wouldn't buy a Milguass either

Master
    Tony as usual a brilliant set of pictures and a do enjoy the write up.
    Thank you nice buy by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    They're completely different watches though, Matt. If I wanted a diver-style sports watch I wouldn't buy a Milguass either
    well style is one thing.. I was referring to the more practical financial side .. They are almost the same price.. And I am trying to control myself these days :)

£3200 in 2007, £5500 today.
    I think you mean... £4200 for the GV when released unless i'm remembering wrong. 'Normal' version was just a tad under 4K...

I tried one on in Spain and they wanted 10K Euro for it as it had just come out!

I'm trying to love mine but i'm not sure it's a keeper to be honest...

Mine is!

Master
    Super post...really enjoyed the read.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I think you mean... £4200 for the GV when released unless i'm remembering wrong. 'Normal' version was just a tad under 4K...

Launch Price ~Sep 2007
    Milgauss £3030
    Milgauss GV £3210

Mar 2008
    Milgauss £3180
    Milgauss GV £3380

Oct 2008
    Milgauss £3580
    Milgauss GV £3800

However there were crazy premiums in the used market expecially for the GV in late 2007/early 2008.

So it is my memory!
    Thanks for clarifying.
    J

Journeyman
    Very interesting and they look great

I've yet to see one of those irl. I did have the opportunity to hold a white dial Milgauss in my hands and that was a very distinct, very alluring watch. From the pics I think I'd choose it over this one, but I'm not convinced. Congrats!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    ...these guys have a pretty good reputation for accuracy?
    Well, just as much as their reputation for getting it wrong; just like Dowling for that matter. Lots of misinformation and inaccuracies from both.

In all, what's the big deal? I still have my ol' clunker.

Last edited by DeusIrae; 7th May 2013 at 09:32.

Craftsman
    The GV is a stunning watch and the only Rolex I have any interest in. I've been keeping my eye out for one and have twice went into an AD on Fenchurch St to try it on.

The green really makes the watch.

Master
    Not knowing you but following your watch pics & purchases with great interest I too am surprised at your choice Tony.

I hankered after one of these for a while, initially discounting the white face and eventually settling on the green glass version. Latterly I'm taken by the grey dial but alas the lack of a date made me look elsewhere.

Thanks for the pics - especially of the vintage versions.

Ian

Master
    Always admired the Milgauss.....seems like a perfect "do everything" watch (as the daily driver thread elsewhere) that'll look great with shirt/suit in the office and jeans/tshirt out in the wild.

Very nice Tony.

I worked at CERN and used to be fascinated by the magnetic field around the detectors.

As you walk away from a detector taking small steps you can see your watch stop and start again and again. If you imagine the old iron filings on paper above a magnet, but scaled up to a massive size, every time you walk through a line the watch stops. As you enter an clear area it goes again.

I was using a Seiko kinetic at the time and it suffered no ill effects, other than losing a random number of minutes in the day.

I've often thought about getting a CERN Milgauss, and they are probably the most appealing watch that Rolex make in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    ...a CERN Milgauss...
    ...is a fiction. None of the 1019 dials were exclusively for CERN. None were in a limited number. All, including those without tritium, were available to the general public. I posted evidence of that years ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I looked at one of these while trying the "Hulk" sub, and nice as it was the Hulk was the clear winner.

Got to be the best pic i've seen to date!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm pleased you got to try this one and see what you make of it. It is a great watch, no doubt, but for me something on the gv isn't a winner (just for me).

So when the watch was first launched I wasn't much into rolex but someone I worked with was. He pointed me to the rolex site and instantly I was smitten. The green glass looked amazing. I then called round and found an ad with the shortest queue and got in line. I waited exactly a year to get the call, and when it came I ran down there and snapped it up.

In a honestly it was nice, and on the wrist felt good. However for some reason I must have worn it 5 times over the following year. That made me sell it and I just got just under what I paid. Although they aren't big sellers now. Not sure what it was but, the green glass in my opinion actually takes away from the watch. In person it dulls the dial and hands a bit.

Don't get me wrong though, it is still a lovely watch, I think all the polished bits made me worried to wear it, so In my mind its more a dressy watch so never had the need to wear it.

All in, wonderful though, and I loved the wait for mine.

Enjoy!

Kash

Master
    Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention though that to this day the gv is my other halves favourite watch, only because he called it te Harry potter watch : )

She wasn't happen when I sold it

- - - Updated - - -

Eeeek, should have said she lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    Recently been feeling the love for the Milgauss GV, searched TZ and came across this thread!!

Learning To Fly your pics are not helping me lol - it looks stunning! Are you still happy with her after the "honeymoon period"

At the moment my Rolex SS collection is rather sporty and with each addition im trying to add something different e.g. Deepsea, Polar Explorer 2 and the Hulk LV Sub. Im certainly missing a more dressy kind of watch and the only a few models appeal to me:

Daytona SS (I have tried both white and black however I find choosing between them impossible hence never pulled the trigger)
    Explorer 1 (Have a love / hate thing with this watch, can look stunning but also sometimes a bit too ordinary for my personal taste)
    Milgauss GV (Each time I see it I love it more)

Milgauss is def giving me the urge and I have a few Omegas wasting away in my watchbox that maybe I should move on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Recently been feeling the love for the Milgauss GV, searched TZ and came across this thread!!

Learning To Fly your pics are not helping me lol - it looks stunning! Are you still happy with her after the "honeymoon period"

At the moment my Rolex SS collection is rather sporty and with each addition im trying to add something different e.g. Deepsea, Polar Explorer 2 and the Hulk LV Sub. Im certainly missing a more dressy kind of watch and the only a few models appeal to me:

Daytona SS (I have tried both white and black however I find choosing between them impossible hence never pulled the trigger)
    Explorer 1 (Have a love / hate thing with this watch, can look stunning but also sometimes a bit too ordinary for my personal taste)
    Milgauss GV (Each time I see it I love it more)

Milgauss is def giving me the urge and I have a few Omegas wasting away in my watchbox that maybe I should move on!!!
    I absolutely love the GV, but I reduced from 17 watches to 7 and this was one of the casualties. If I needed something both dressy and sporty it would be on my list, and in my present collection it would take the place of my PAM268 very comfortably.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I absolutely love the GV, but I reduced from 17 watches to 7 and this was one of the casualties. If I needed something both dressy and sporty it would be on my list, and in my present collection it would take the place of my PAM268 very comfortably.
    Cheers for the info!!!

Wow you have done well reducing from 17-7!! Must have been some damn hard decisions lol

I sacked off my vintage Omega fetish and got a GV about 3 months ago. I have a DW5600 to wear to work and the GV for everything else. It's a cracker. Get one.

I'm a big fan myself its just that little bit more cooller than a sub IMHO

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I could say a lot of things, and comment how much I enjoyed this thread but,

its just simply stunning. congratz

edit: seriously is that a green tinge I see?

Banned
    Any post from Tony in respect of a new incoming should be automatically deleted after two weeks, as it iis likely certain the watch will then be owned by someone else

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Any post from Tony in respect of a new incoming should be automatically deleted after two weeks, as it iis likely certain the watch will then be owned by someone else
    I can actually prove that you're exaggerating

Banned
    Post a photo of the Milgauss with today's date please

Tony, your journey is the envy of many. Don't change.

Excellent. Very interesting and informative. Thank you.

Don't tell me, your anal and keep a spreadsheet or summink?

IGMC
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez