closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which tablet? (not-watch related)

Craftsman

Which tablet? (not-watch related)

I know this has nothing to do with watches but experience of this forum suggests to me that there is quite a lot of technical knowledge here and I trust the ethos, broad experience and impartiality of members.

Here goes then: My wife and I have concluded we don’t actually need a tablet but it would be nice to have one. We are both retired. She currently uses a Windows laptop at home and I use a Windows PC (on which we Skype our grand-daughter in US each week). I also do quite a lot of photography and use PS Elements 9 at home. She has an old iPod touch for emails away from home and web access but it is too old for Facetime, which is what our son and family use on their Apple based network where they live in France. We have no need of Smartphones and are quite happy with PAYG (mine is old but it is quad band and unlocked so I can use local SIM cards in the US once a year and France twice a year).
    I also have an iPod Classic (5600 tracks) and a basic Kindle (75 books or so). 3g would be nice but not essential because anywhere we go is likely to have a WiFi point.

The choice seems to be between an iPad mini and a Nexus 7. The Kindle Fire HD seems to have too many hoops to jump through when using non- Amazon apps.

So:
    1. Do we need anything at all?
    2. If yes, which of the two suggested? (or have I missed anything else equally suitable?)
    3. Is it best to stick with an Android tablet such as the Nexus and manage with Skype rather than Facetime? As I understand it this would also mean importing/converting iTunes content and using a third party e-reader app. On the other hand I could get a 32Gb tablet with 3g for £100 less than the equivalent iPad.
    4. Or is it better to go for the iPad (in which case we would get the WiFi non-3g version) in terms of build quality, availability of apps etc.? Is the card slot important? Would I need 32Gb or is 16Gb adequate (we are not heavily into movies)?

Sales assistants seem keen to recommend the iPad but I’m sufficiently cynical to think this may be something to do with reported profit margins.

Any thoughts and personal experiences welcome.

Regards,
    David
    Last edited by davidsm; 25th April 2013 at 14:48.

Hi David

There has been said that there is no 'tablet market', but an 'ipad market', if you can afford it, go for the iPad, it will do everything you need and do it effortlessly, I'm a amateur photographer and love my ipad, with iphoto and some other tools I can do almost everything I need away from the desktop, plus the App store is rich in all sort of App that simply put .. "Work", no hassle, the thing just works.

I've had the big iPads until now, but Im thinking my next one might be a mini :)

1. No - I was dead set against a tablet until I got one. Now I only use my laptop for serious word processing. The ease and speed of using a tablet is quite impressive.
    2. iPad mini
    3. No
    4. Yes

We have an iPad retina display and others in my family have the iPad mini. Other tablets I've tried don't come close to Apple's tablets in ease of use, design or build quality. The range and quality of the apps is also very impressive. The product itself is also worth more if you want to sell it to upgrade in a few years time. You may pay more for it but it's worth it if you ask me.

I'd suggest you go for the 32 gb version if you plan to transfer all of your music.

I can't speak as to Kindle books as I prefer the paper alternative. Hopefully someone else can comment.

Master
    We have four full size iPads in our home and all love them.
    I bought the first soon after the original release just to see what all the fuss was about.
    I was instantly smitten and it immediately replaced my PC for 95% of the time. It's so much more convenient to use.
    When I upgraded, I passed my old one on to my technophobe wife. She couldn't understand why I thought she'd want it, but soon became a big fan and wouldn't be without one now. My two young daughters were using ours so much of the time that I ended up buying them one each too. My octogenarian parents have also bought a couple and despite having no computer knowledge whatsoever they use them all the time.
    Whereas other companies have now caught up and in some cases surpassed the iPhone, the iPad is still generally accepted as the best tablet, so if you can afford it get it.
    I've never had any issues with the 16GB capacity. Unless you want to store a lot of video or an enormous music collection it should be adequate.
    If I were you, I'd go to a shop and try the full size ipad as well as the mini. You may find you prefer the larger version.

I've had an Ipad for a while but can't give a comparison with other tablets. I find a tablet very amenable for consuming content and Skype/Facetime/other video packages but, for me, it could never replace a computer if I want to do anything really productive. For casual sofa browsing and having an instant full-size browser on the move (particularly without having to wait for it to boot-up) they can't be beaten but you should prepare yourself for the purchase of two in the long run.

Master
    Echo the above... ipad is excellent but it is severely limited & constricted. You do need a computer of somesort to get content on or off it.
    I got rid of mine because I couldn't get on with having to use iTunes for everything.

Now very happy (still need a pc but much fewer limits) with my £129 64GB Blackberry Playbook.
    Last edited by langtoft lad; 25th April 2013 at 18:09.

I'm also following this thread as I'm dithering on a tablet purchase. The iTunes issue, if correct, is pushing me towards an Android device with a large screen.

Has anyone tried the Microsoft Surface yet? I'm not sure one could review it without decoupling your view of Windows 8 of course...

Since I got my Galaxy S3 last year I've been using my tablet less and less. I can read and reply to forums on the smartphone, Tapatalk or normal, with ease. Email and so on.
    A larger screen smartphone is a realistic alternative to a tablet for most media consumption.

OK - as a user of both iPad (for work) and Nexus 7 (bought for my other half) plus numerous PCs, Macs, etc., etc., I "might" be qualified to comment (take with a pinch of salt - this is from an IT person's point of view).

1. Do we need anything at all?

You don't "need" anything. However, I bought a Nexus 7 for my other half who said "what did you buy that for, I'll never use it?" - She now surf's the internet, checks emails, reads books, etc., to the extent that she hardly ever uses her laptop any more.

2. If yes, which of the two suggested? (or have I missed anything else equally suitable?)

"Best" is relative. What do you want to do? If it is Skype, email, music, videos, books and web with a few games, etc., thrown in - why buy anything other than the Nexus 7? Cheap as chips and does all the above (and more) brilliantly - plus it is a perfect size.

If you have more specific needs (photo editing, specific work software) then the iPad option becomes a possibility as there is a more mature and extensive market (chances are, however, that there is an Android app as well - it just might be harder to find).

If you are already tied into one or other "ecosystem" (i.e. you own an Android phone or iPhone) then it is probably a good idea to stick with it (as the apps are portable.

3. Is it best to stick with an Android tablet such as the Nexus and manage with Skype rather than Facetime? As I understand it this would also mean importing/converting iTunes content and using a third party e-reader app. On the other hand I could get a 32Gb tablet with 3g for £100 less than the equivalent iPad.

"Manage" with Skype? I don't understand - what more would you need? I use my iPad and my OH's Nexus 7 for Skype all the time without any problems. I've NEVER used facetime. If you've got iTunes stuff and want to keep it, iPad is easiest but (as you say) there are converters.

4. Or is it better to go for the iPad (in which case we would get the WiFi non-3g version) in terms of build quality, availability of apps etc.? Is the card slot important? Would I need 32Gb or is 16Gb adequate (we are not heavily into movies)?

I would always go for more memory (I'm an IT person, remember?). Whether or not you "need" it now - you'll find a use that requires it in the future. Card slot - meh. I think that these are now such disposable devices that you'll be buying a new one before you want to upgrade the memory (provided you buy big in the first place). Neith the iPad nor the Nexus have card slots BTW.

Build quality of both is excellent. If it were my money - I'd buy the Nexus 7 (and, in fact, did so). For work (with their money) I got an iPad because I needed specific apps that were only available on that platform.

Hope that hasn't confused you too much.

To summarise:

1 - No
    2 - Nexus 7
    3 - Yes
    4 - No

But it depends greatly on the use case.

Cheers,

Thomas Reid
    By God, but I've found having a tablet useful for the past few days. On Sunday I did my back in when picking up a sock.[1] So, unless teaching or travelling, I've since been stretched out. I can't do any serious work so arranged, but I've been able to keep up with admin, email and the like (and watch movies, and listen to music and surf). I have an inexpensive Allwinner A10 SOC based Android tablet, which has been good enough.

[1] I think that I've done my back in 3 times in 20 years, and it is always picking up a sock. Similarly, about a two years ago, my wife had a bad back for a few days as a result of picking up a sock. Those socks are seriously dangerous. I think that I'll give them up until the Autumn.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I got a Blackberry Playbook 64GB and it does everything I want, which isn't the same as saying it will do everything that you want.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I got a Blackberry Playbook 64GB and it does everything I want, which isn't the same as saying it will do everything that you want.

Eddie
    Will it whistle Dixie? That's what I want to know.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Will it whistle Dixie? That's what I want to know.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    It will play back a recording of someone whistling Dixie.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    I have an ipad for home and just got a Nexus 7 for work (needed the 3G), to be honest there is little between them. The ipad is the easiest to use out of the box especially if you are used to apple products but the Nexus is not far behind.

Facetime only works with other apple devices where Skype works on all, personally I don't use either as video is a gimmick IMHO (even when my family are 200 miles away I prefer the phone).

If you want to use it as a camera the Nexus only has a forward facing one which can be a pain.

Craftsman
    I have tried a number of tablets but always come back to the iPad. In my opinion, its the most simple to use and logically set out. All the other tablets I have tried have felt like a compromise in one way or another. If its not a question of the extra money, I would go for an iPad.

Journeyman
    I would go for an Android tablet over an iPad because I don't like iTunes. The only thing I will say is if you go for an Android tablet don't get an Archos tablet. It doesn't have access to Google Play (although there are ways to work around this) and as a consequence the apps you can get for it are limited. If I remember correctly it uses AppsLib for its app store.

On the books front the Kindle Fire is limited to Mobi format so you have have to get some conversion software, such as Calibre, to convert books. The Nexus I think can read most ebook formats.

The only other thing I will say is have a look at Microsoft Surface tablets. But be careful, the Surface RT version uses a Tegra processor and the RT version of Windows 8 which means you can't install normal windows programgs. The Surface Pro has an Intel processor and is basically a normal, but small, touchscreen laptop with a detachable keyboard.

If you're just looking for something to sit on the sofa and surf the web and Skype family I think the Nexus would be fine.

Hope this helps.

Master
    I've had quite a few tablets, and have tested even more. I now own an iPad 3 and a couple of Android tablet, and although each has its positive points and its annoyances, I would certainly recommend an iPad over an Android tablet. Without hesitation. All day long.
    Works much better and fluidly out of the box, there's no need to tinker with settings (unless you want to), everything works as it should and glitches are very few.
    If you do decide to go for the mini, I'd say wait a few months if you can for the next gen which should have a retina display. Yes, it does make a difference. Yes it does make a big difference

Alex

Master
    I got the missus an ipad 3, I moaned how tight the buggers were with the shortness of the supplied charging cable - you need to sit right next to a power point if you want to use it while charging it - how many more cents would it have cost to have made it even 6 inches longer?

Feck me, I hate itunes - what a POS. Why can't it just mount like any other drive does on a PC?

Do you want 4:3 screen ratio?

If you want 16:10 or 16"9, then maybe look at android.

I got a nexus7 32gig with 3g, for watching pre-recorded TV shows on the bus. The 3g was in case I ever need connectivity when on holiday and there was no wi-fi. The cable is shorter, I discovered the screen resolution is not what they claim it to be since soft buttons on android take up some of it. It only has one camera (forward facing - but I knew about that) and you have to download an app to get that to take a still photo, as it is not capable of doing so out of the box. It doesn't run flash (but neither does the apple) out of the box.

Just got the old man a 10 inch Samsung Tab 2 16gig. It has the expansion slot, so who cares it has half the memory of the nexus. Since it does not run the latest version of android, it comes with the default android browser, not chrome. With a tiny added app, it will run flash. The browser renders pages like bbc better than the nexus7 (even allowing for screen size).
    I got it for the equivalent of 192 pounds as I got it tax free.

If I has to buy one again and ultimate portability was not an issue (I don't have or want an android phone, I want old school) then I'd get the Samsung.

Rob.

I spent a long time looking at both 10" and 7" tablets for me and my other half. We had the benefit of not being tied to apple and in fact weren't really interested in an iPad as an option. We've ended up with a Google nexus 10 and 7 which, imo, are excellent. For us the 7 gives everything you could need in a tablet that size - good screen, quick enough and portable. Perhaps the only downside is that ours is not 3g but then we didn't want to spend on a 3g tablet contract as well as a mobile. I would definitely recommend having a look at one:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Be careful that you don't let the battery run low - I left mine for a month and have 0% battery life. I've tried all the "fixes" I could find on the WWW but none of them are working.

Luckily its only 4 months old, so I'll be throwing it back at PC world - its the 2nd playbook I've had problems with................. it appears to be a case of use them or lose them. They do not appear to be a good choice for the occasional user.

Master
    The nexus 7 is great value, but i would still go for the ipad mini. Better screen and better interface, better apps etc etc. Facetime is also great if you have friends/family with apple products. I also use an ipad with a kindle and skype and that works just fine.
    I would go for 16gb non 3g as i have found that i just do not use the full 16gb as i do not need that much media stored on it as most of the time i am using it for the internet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Be careful that you don't let the battery run low - I left mine for a month and have 0% battery life. I've tried all the "fixes" I could find on the WWW but none of them are working.
    Never had a problem like that with either of my Playbooks...
    Most of my flat battery gadgets have come back after being left attached to their mains charger for a day.
    Having said that, it's not good to let any battery completely discharge without recharging... I think you'll find most manuals recommend storing whilst partially charged.

Been given a Samsung Galaxy to use from work - quick but useless unless you have fingers the size of a newborn baby - give me a laptop any day

Full size iPad with retina is my choice. I resisted for years thinking I would never use it. My wife said it was pointless but now I can't get her off it. My sister lives in Dubai and we regularly use Viber to chat for free over wifi or Skype which I find less glitchy than Facetime although not as good quality. Just do it! You will wonder how you managed without.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk View Post
    Tablet are v useful and always nice to have IMO.

It's best to get an iPad if u wanna Facetime. 3/4G version if u travel every now and then. I often buy local data sim and set up personal hot spot and GPS is always handy. Don't go for 16GB since you soon will realise the storage is limited.
    I can recommend giffgaff for good data packages.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Build quality of both is excellent. If it were my money - I'd buy the Nexus 7 (and, in fact, did so). For work (with their money) I got an iPad because I needed specific apps that were only available on that platform.

Hope that hasn't confused you too much.

To summarise:

1 - No
    2 - Nexus 7
    3 - Yes
    4 - No

But it depends greatly on the use case.

Cheers,
    Thanks for you informed evaluation Mark, the OP has covered pretty much my requirements as well, so its off to buy a Nexus 7 tomorrow.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    As the OP here I am delighted at the amount of info this thread has produced - I'll continue to monitor it for a few more days before deciding but thanks, guys.

David

Craftsman
    says it all! and could equally apply to watches, I guess.

David

Thomas Reid
    As an aside. In my earlier post I said that I found the tablet very useful when I was stretched out with a bad back. It allowed me to do some email and admin stuff. My back has improved, but I still can't sit at my desk for very long without some trouble[1]. And, I have found that the tablet is not very useful for serious work.

A larger screen is helpful, but a good keyboard is nearly essential. Consequentially, I've had to improvise a work setup with bits and bobs lying about.

This allows me to do most of my work standing, but I can still use it for short sitting periods by just taking the keyboard off the stand.

[1] For my back, drugs helped by killing the pain, but large adhesive heat patches have been of even more use.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Bob, you need one of these.

Seriously, I hope your back gets better.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Bob, you need one of these.

Seriously, I hope your back gets better.
    When I lived in the USA, I had a very large, old, drafting table that I used as a desk. I even had a stool which sort of matched. I've neither had nor seen anything as good since for price I could even approach paying. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of it when I came to England.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman
    Bought my GF a Nexus 10. I don't have anything apple as I don't want iTunes, and I am a developer, so Android appeals to me. I got her the 10 inch as she is a garden designer and wants to show her portfolio off.

It's a stunning piece of kit. Images/PPT slides all look good. If she meets someone she can whizz through her work. And most recently she's loaded 3d walk-throughs of her completed gardens rendered by a CAD modelling tool. All shown with ease and look great.