closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Ubiquitous G10

Master

The Ubiquitous G10

I have several G10s and I thought I'd tidy up one of my roughest examples and wear it today.
    This example had a smashed crystal and the battery hatch had been damaged by someone exerting excessive force with a screwdriver. Why use a screwdriver when a one pence coin is a perfect fit?
    I ground the rough edges, off the slot, with an oil stone and polished the hatch. It is far from perfect but it is much better than it was.
    The crystal was replaced using a 31.6mm armoured plexi but with the original matt finished tension ring installed. A small amount of GS hypo cement was applied to the outer edge, of the crystal, to ensure that I got a good seal.
    So far, this watch owes me £20 and an hour of my time which was well spent.
    The ETA movements, used in these, are superb quality.
    Here's mine, now show me one of yours!

I had a 'navigator' with the date window , you don't seem to see many of them . Were they issued or a civvi version do you know ? If they were issued , under what circumstances would you get issued with a dated version instead of the nd ? I wonder as a proportion of cwc's total output how many were made
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Banned
    Very nice,you did a good job.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I had a 'navigator' with the date window , you don't seem to see many of them . Were they issued or a civvi version do you know ? If they were issued , under what circumstances would you get issued with a dated version instead of the nd ? I wonder as a proportion of cwc's total output how many were made
    I was issued with a Navigator, as a Navigator in the Royal Navy. In the pre-digital era, Navigators depended on a variety on almanacs and tables to calculate tides, tidal streams, sun and moon rising & setting times, and for use in calculating positions using celestial navigation. I'd look at the date a few dozen times a day (and could never remember it between times); get one day out and you could hazard the ship.

Here's mine - a rare fat case model from 1981. The current version is or was also available from Silverman's, until recently. Not sure whether they had a issue serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I was issued with a Navigator, as a Navigator in the Royal Navy. In the pre-digital era, Navigators depended on a variety on almanacs and tables to calculate tides, tidal streams, sun and moon rising & setting times, and for use in calculating positions using celestial navigation. I'd look at the date a few dozen times a day (and could never remember it between times); get one day out and you could hazard the ship.
    thanks jack, i was wondering if the term was a mere wisnomer . very interesting.

Craftsman

CWC Quartz G10's vs Navigators'

Seikopath,

Rough estimates for 1980 - 1982 CWC Quartz G10 issues are as follows, including 1982 Precista G10's.

Watch, Wrist, General Service 1980 - 1982 = 17,500 approx
    Watch, Wrist, Navigators' 1980 - 1982 = 850 approx

Small batches of Navigators' were also issued in 1994 & 1996.

Terry

thanks terry, very interesting

Really excellent job, well done! Well worth it. Despite numerous and expensive new watches since I got mine, this little beauty is still a firm favourite and eerily accurate. I agree with you about the movement. Better than the one in the Marathon TSAR! The seconds hand also hits all the markers bang on...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Really excellent job, well done! Well worth it. Despite numerous and expensive new watches since I got mine, this little beauty is still a firm favourite and eerily accurate. I agree with you about the movement. Better than the one in the Marathon TSAR! The seconds hand also hits all the markers bang on...

I agree, absolutely love mine, gets more wrist time than any other watch, recently got a GasGasBones strap for it which suits it lovely.
    Must get a camera!

Lost mine to the wife who now uses it as her daily wearer

Master

G10's

Two navigators is just greedy bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post

Magnificent! when did the CWC logo change to the current one? I've always assumed it was in 1982.

Journeyman
    So simple yet so effective!

A great beater if there ever was one!

Blog Entries
    I have a fat case that is a perfect grab and go along with its diver cousin.

Lovin the navigator and I will add one in due time.

Interesting on the GGB/G10 combo, I just thought the strap would be way to heavy. I will give it a go in the morning.

Ta
    Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Two navigators is just greedy bob
    I am just showing off now in that I have 3 navigators.

043/94

032/80

292/80

My favourites are the fat boys from 1980, lovely patina and both run really well. I put new glasses into both, retaining the matt tension ring.

Peter