closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn watches in London?

Sinn watches in London?

Are there any Sinn retailers in London where one might try their oil-filled watches?

Thanks,
    James

Hi,

As far as I know, there are no bricks'n'mortar Sinn retailers at all in the UK. They are exclusively available online from Neil at Chronomaster.

...which is a shame, because even with high street markup, I think they'd sell really well. (B&R sell on the high street...)

Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes
    ...which is a shame, because even with high street markup, I think they'd sell really well. (B&R sell on the high street...)
    Nah. People will look at them in the High Street and buy online, cheaper.

john
    Every watch a story.

I'd love to see a Sinn 903 next to a Breitling Navitimer in a shop window. The £1500 price difference would take some explaining. The poor salesman would be on BS overdrive! :lol:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Hi,

As far as I know, there are no bricks'n'mortar Sinn retailers at all in the UK. They are exclusively available online from Neil at Chronomaster.
    If you are ever around Bolton then Neil is usually happy to meet up to let you see the goods.

Grand Master
    The alternative is to ask if a London Sinner has such a watch, and see if he would like to meet for lunch, or a drink. ;-)

Much more enjoyable than visiting a shop, too, and - with Sinn and their owners - usually at a better informed level, too.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    I'd love to see a Sinn 903 next to a Breitling Navitimer in a shop window. The £1500 price difference would take some explaining. The poor salesman would be on BS overdrive! :lol:
    Fun as it sounds, it won't happen - logically and economically, it can't.

I do hear lots of really great things about Sinn watches, but I guess they can't be that good as I can only buy them from one place in the UK and can't have a look at one first. I last heard that a Bell & Ross was basically a Sinn in a frock, yet it's the B&R I can buy from a real shop I can walk into, not the Sinn. So again, it's a "whatever". I can also try practically any Navitimer at hundreds of ADs up and down the country. (Same in Germany - trawled stacks of jewellers in Dusseldorf looking for a Stowa, never found a Sinn in sight.)

Perhaps if Sinn advertised and distributed to the extent that Breitling did, or even B&R, it would get a look in. But then, they wouldn't be nearly as cheap.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

I last heard that a Bell & Ross was basically a Sinn in a frock, yet it's the B&R I can buy from a real shop I can walk into, not the Sinn. ........
    The parnership was some time ago.

Look at the diff in pricing between Sinn and B&R ... Sinn are much cheaper.

john
    Every watch a story.

Perhaps if Sinn advertised and distributed to the extent that Breitling did, or even B&R, it would get a look in. But then, they wouldn't be nearly as cheap.
    Exactly.

A friend told me there were a lot of remaindered B&R's at Cheshire oaks outlet recently.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

A friend told me there were a lot of remaindered B&R's at Cheshire oaks outlet recently.
    I saw those last time I was there.

They still had the Speedy Split (like mine) at £1700 BNIB with papers, etc., too.

I bet it's all gone now though :(

Cheers,

Grand Master
    Get used to globalization, the internet and direct marketing ... why pay double for the privlege of being incompetently lied to by a good-looking salesgirld with no inkling of watches, when you can order watches over the internet and return them if you don't like them?

For one thing, direct merchants (including Eddie, of course) will be much better at the technical details, for another, you get to try the watch in your home and not in a glitzy shop. :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    Last summer my wife and I spent a day at the ile of Sylt (holiday paradise for well off Germans). There are many luxury shops. Among them Gucci, Cartier and Wempe (they had some gorgeous Lange & Söhne). In Westerland - the main city - there were actually Sinns for sale in a shop, but not in the same shop as the Breitlings. The funny thing is, the shop with the Sinns was by far the most luxurious with brands like GO and Patek, whereas the shop with the Breitlings was more middle-of-the-road.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Get used to globalization, the internet and direct marketing ... why pay double for the privlege of being incompetently lied to by a good-looking salesgirld with no inkling of watches, when you can order watches over the internet and return them if you don't like them?
    It's a fair argument - don't pay for stuff you don't need or want - and I don't need the salesgirl telling me anything. But I just want to look at the watch, try it on, see how it looks and feels, try another one and so on. And I really haven't got time to fart about queuing at the Post Office. Direct marketing and the internet is great and all, but not for absolutely everything. Besides, when has Sinn ever done any direct marketing to me? If I didn't actively go seek them out because of positive comments written on a board which Sinn doesn't pay for, I would have absolutely no idea they existed. I wonder not so much what Sinn's marketing budget is, as whether it actually has one at all.

andrew wrote-

"I do hear lots of really great things about Sinn watches, but I guess they can't be that good....."

So you are saying that you don't really think Sinn are good watches, you don't trust the opinions of the many Sinn owners on this forum ( who own many different models ), but you would rather be told a load of bollocks by a person with no real world experience of lengthy watch ownership. May I direct you to Argos where you should find satisfaction. Or you could decide which Sinn model you like the look of and put up a post asking for advice and opinion from current owners of said watch. You will then recieve more genuine info, both + and -, than you would imagine, plus lots of lovely pictures.Also you have the review section at your fingertips, plus the search facility, which I have found invaluable.If you can't decide upon a purchase with that level of input then I should flee the world of WIS.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    andrew wrote-
    So you are saying that you don't really think Sinn are good watches, you don't trust the opinions of the many Sinn owners on this forum ( who own many different models ), but you would rather be told a load of bollocks by a person with no real world experience of lengthy watch ownership. May I direct you to Argos where you should find satisfaction.
    You finished ranting? You obviously didn't read my post so I'm not going to bother with the rest of yours.

I went to the Sinn website last night to see if I could find a dealer in Germany (I am in Dusseldorf). There is only a German-language site, with an early '90s flavour. There is also no list of outlets, so again I am at a loss if I want to go look at one. Which I do. I just do. I don't want to mess around buying watches on the internet, posting them back, crossing my fingers that the refund appears on the credit card 28 days later, etc etc etc.

Your argument also implies that it is only possible to gather information about Sinn watches if (a) you're an internet sort of person, (b) you come to this site and (c) every opinion will be balanced and fair, or that there will be so many that you can discern some sort of average. That's a hopeless argument.

Even after a fair bit of research, done as an experiment to see just how difficult it is to understand the Sinn range, look at the specs, decide what complications are available, get some idea of prices, I still found it stupidly difficult. Frankly I'm surprised that Sinns are as expensive as empirical evidence suggests they are, given the negative marketing and distribution budgets they obviously have.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    andrew wrote-
    So you are saying that you don't really think Sinn are good watches, you don't trust the opinions of the many Sinn owners on this forum ( who own many different models ), but you would rather be told a load of bollocks by a person with no real world experience of lengthy watch ownership. May I direct you to Argos where you should find satisfaction.
    You finished ranting? You obviously didn't read my post so I'm not going to bother with the rest of yours.

I went to the Sinn website last night to see if I could find a dealer in Germany (I am in Dusseldorf). There is only a German-language site, with an early '90s flavour. There is also no list of outlets, so again I am at a loss if I want to go look at one. Which I do. I just do. I don't want to mess around buying watches on the internet, posting them back, crossing my fingers that the refund appears on the credit card 28 days later, etc etc etc.

Your argument also implies that it is only possible to gather information about Sinn watches if (a) you're an internet sort of person, (b) you come to this site and (c) every opinion will be balanced and fair, or that there will be so many that you can discern some sort of average. That's a hopeless argument.

Even after a fair bit of research, done as an experiment to see just how difficult it is to understand the Sinn range, look at the specs, decide what complications are available, get some idea of prices, I still found it stupidly difficult. Frankly I'm surprised that Sinns are as expensive as empirical evidence suggests they are, given the negative marketing and distribution budgets they obviously have.
    Well, like I use to say: The value of a commodity is the price the market will bear. Prices of watches have little do do with "intrinsic" value and production costs, it's a matter of supply and demand. Like everyone else, Sinn is in it for money, and they charge the highest price they can get away with. Sinn does indeed sell their watches, so somebody must think they are worth the price. It perfectly legitimate if you don't agree with the present market valuation (=price) of Sinns Watches. If so, don't buy a Sinn watch. It's as simple as that.

I like the Panarais but I find them overpriced, so I haven't bought one. I like the Sinn 756 Diapal, and I find the price OK, so I have bought one. It's as simple as that.

As we say in Denmark: One man likes the mother, another man the daughter - and that way they both get married.

Even here in London ... when an outlet carries a particular brand they do not necessarily have the complete range on display (or in stock) ... so, unless you are the kind of person who buys, one of what is put in front of him (and many do), then it is the eternal search through catalogues, different branches, ordering, etc.

Sinn are probably expensive for what they are ... but they sell as many as they can make so there is no incentive to change pricing. And at the same time there are more expensive brands out there which are not half as distinctive as Sinn. Whatever people say, Sinn is a success. If I wasn't wearing a Damasko, I'd probably be wearing a Sinn.

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master
    I went to the Sinn website last night to see if I could find a dealer in Germany (I am in Dusseldorf).
    Get into the car, drive to Frankfurt, have a look at the entire Sinn range in the showroom, talk to knowledgeable sales personnel and select your watch.

The time invested will likely be less than spending hours in various high-street shops.

:wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman
    Hello Andrew,

I can share your feeling in wanting to see what you are buying in the flesh and preferably before you buy it. I have had a Sinn catalog at home since 1999, and finaly bought one last year. This was after seeing a lot of Sinns at watchfairs in Cologne and Düsseldorf.

Now that I have a 903 St (the navitimer) I do not want to part with it. The quality is super. I have compared it to Breitling in the flesh and I think it can stand up to it. Although the Breitling is a bit more Bling and the Sinn more toolish.

If you are interested in seeing some Sinns together, I suggest you vissit the watfair at the SAS Düsseldorf at april 15th.

Should you be interested in seeing the 903 ST, we could meet up in Düsseldorf sometime.

As for Sinn's marketing, I think if they would do what you suggest that prices would be the same as Breitling or B&R because of mediaexposure and the margins involved in the distribution chain.
    Again, prices for Sinn watches are competetive regarding "bang for the buck"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have 2 Sinns, a 356 and a 103 and the quality is superb.

I bought the 356 unseen ( if the truth be known it was part of a trade ) unseen and when it arrived I was more than pleased with the fit and finish of the watch, so much so that the watch I was after in the trade was the one I flipped and kept the Sinn. I got a 103 this week and am chuffed to bits with it.

If you bite the bullet and decide on a particular model, just order it. You wont regret it.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    I went to the Sinn website last night to see if I could find a dealer in Germany (I am in Dusseldorf).
    Get into the car, drive to Frankfurt, have a look at the entire Sinn range in the showroom, talk to knowledgeable sales personnel and select your watch.
    Sound advice - if I can arrange a trip down there!

Grand Master
    Sound advice - if I can arrange a trip down there!
    I trust you have seen this: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25672 :?:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Nah. People will look at them in the High Street and buy online, cheaper.
    Everyone I know with a Rolex, Tag or Omega bought it on the high street, even though they could have saved buying it online. I also have friends who like my Sinn, but would never buy without trying on first... and they ain't driving to Bolton. So they buy B&R or Omega instead.

Grand Master
    I also have friends who like my Sinn, but would never buy without trying on first... and they ain't driving to Bolton. So they buy B&R or Omega instead.
    This speaks more against them, than against Sinn. :P :wink:

Everyone who willingly buys a B&R and dismisses a Sinn ... deserves it. :twisted:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Blog Entries
    The whole issue of watch dealers can be a bit of a minefield.

I bought and have consistently bought via the internet,

Sinn,Kobold,PRS Dreadnought,Glycine,UTS,Limes,Muhle Glashutte,Damasko,Doxa,Nomos,

The above are are not easy to find on a UK high street but that has not stopped me having a "punt"however if you have the need to get touchy feely so be it.You pays your money and takes your chances.

Regarding Sinn and Damasko the UK AD's are the best around,anywhere.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Everyone who willingly buys a B&R and dismisses a Sinn ... deserves it. :twisted:
    Made me laugh.

I like this and Sinn don't make it. :P

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master
    Your eyes must be better than mine if you can make use of the FOAS marks ... the B&R watches have no technical advantage except those models bought in from Sinn. They are a fashion brand, sort of hi-priced Fossils. :twisted: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Your eyes must be better than mine if you can make use of the FOAS marks ... the B&R watches have no technical advantage except those models bought in from Sinn. They are a fashion brand, sort of hi-priced Fossils. :twisted: :wink:

The 'Space 3' has no Sinn equivalent. Apart from that ... I didn't think of it that way before.

I've given up on 'technical advantage' ... once the basics are there ... it's all to do with 'style' and 'purity', and under some conditions DNA.

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master
    The 'Space 3' has no Sinn equivalent. Apart from that ... I didn't think of it that way before.

I've given up on 'technical advantage' ... once the basics are there ... it's all to do with 'style' and 'purity', and under some conditions DNA.
    No. I disagree. :D

Case-hardening, antimagnetic protection and dry technology are definitive advantages in daily life. So may be the hydro-technology.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Case-hardening, antimagnetic protection and dry technology are definitive advantages in daily life. So may be the hydro-technology.
    I am totally disappointed by the hydro thing ... it appears to interfere with the functioning and appearance of the lume and as of lately we are hearing of the oil being too dark AND making the seconds hand appear uneven in its orbit.

As for the rest of the technologies you list ... I feel it is better to have ?something? that can be ?serviced? absolutely anywhere, than something which always has to go back to the manufacturer.

Nothing really. I just wanted to post this picture because this case rocks. Makes my day every time I see it. :binky:

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master
    I am totally disappointed by the hydro thing ... it appears to interfere with the functioning and appearance of the lume and as of lately we are hearing of the oil being too dark AND making the seconds hand appear uneven in its orbit.
    Then redeeming virtue of the hydro thingis not the WR, but the ability to read the watch from any angle. That was the clinching factor how Sinn got the GSG9 contract for the EZM2, against less expensive alternatives.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Bigger pic: http://www.professionalwatches.com/bell%26ross.jpg

Speaking of B&R and their pilots watches. All it needs is a moonphase
    indicator. I must be in the wrong demographic. :lol:

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master

Speaking of B&R and their pilots watches. All it needs is a moonphase
    indicator. I must be in the wrong demographic. :lol:

john
    Definiely Zenithic, that piece. :(
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

It's a sad day when Zenithic is a term of abuse, but I'm afraid I have to agree.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E

It's a sad day when Zenithic is a term of abuse, but I'm afraid I have to agree.
    I was thinking of somethinng very close ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one Crusader. :thumbright:

john
    Every watch a story.

If you can get to Frankfurt it is well worth a visit (droolwise)

john
    If you look at the big pic you can see on the left dial it says POWER and on the right it says TRUST.

TRUST??? What's that about? Hope?

john
    Every watch a story.

Grand Master

john
    If you look at the big pic you can see on the left dial it says POWER and on the right it says TRUST.

TRUST??? What's that about? Hope?
    Thrust, as in engine thrust, perhaps? Maybe the letters got lost or confused when the design was put into the blenderizer to produce the above version?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Blog Entries
    IMHO that is one truly horrible watch :shock: :shock:

The whole BR-01/03 range is gross and i say that that as a fan of B&R they have produced some nice if overpriced work away from Sinn.

When are theese people going to realise "less is more"

Martin

PS Trust means that the lobotomy worked and you are now really thinking with your arse.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad
    When are theese people going to realise "less is more"
    That is only true when you spend money; the reverse holds true when you are trying to make money. Bling sells. :P :lol: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")