closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Sopranos fans out there?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Any Sopranos fans out there?

I watched the last episode a coupe of nights ago having crawled my way through the series' over the last 4 years or so.

What an ending. It took a minute for it to sink in for me, but bloody hell.

Awesome.

What a TV show. Must be one of the finest ever made.

Master
    Loved the show and still watch them back from time to time, which I can't do with many series' in honesty.

That fade-to-black ending was shite though.

Master
    IMO the best drama series ever! And yes the ending was shite.

If you've not seen the Wire you should Give it a go as well. Almost as good as Sopranos.

Si.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    I watched the last episode a coupe of nights ago having crawled my way through the series' over the last 4 years or so. What an ending. It took a minute for it to sink in for me, but bloody hell. Awesome. What a TV show. Must be one of the finest ever made.

Loved the show, disappointed by the ending,

Give Breaking Bad a go, it's brilliant.

Blog Entries
    I watched the last episode a coupe of nights ago having crawled my way through the series' over the last 4 years or so.

What an ending. It took a minute for it to sink in for me, but bloody hell.

Awesome.

What a TV show. Must be one of the finest ever made.
    I'm a big fan as well. And we're not alone:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3377999.html
    For me this is the best scene ever:

http://youtu.be/ZzNB_Y9cXi4 : the 'Seven Souls' scene

Menno

One of the best ever made along with Breaking Bad, not much stuff that HBO has done that is not great!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The complete series was available via BT Vision last year. I watched it all systematically over a period of weeks, sad i know, but it was a great way to get into the series again in real depth. So many great moments in it i couldn't pick out just one, although the snowy woodland part with the Russian they couldn't kill was pretty intense as well as humorous.

The ending? well you have to decide the outcome for yourself, which was frustrating but clever. I hoped it was maybe leaving the door open for a return series but obviously not

Master
    I'm sure I read at the time that they wanted to leave it open for a movie to wrap it up once and for all.
    Just looking around google it looks as though they have never been anything more than rumours, which is probably a good thing since some of the best characters were final series cannon-fodder.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    SPOILER WARNING. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW IT ENDS NOT READ!

After watching it a Few times, and reading various theories I think my interpretation has to be that Tony gets Clipped. I think its likely that the overly long silence is his "black out".

The guy that goes into the Toilet just before creditied as Phil Liotardo's cousin. I think he comes from the toilet and shoots Tony in the head from the side.

Tony is dead as fried chicken!

Blog Entries
    Watched it start to finish on Atlantic and it is by far the best yank series I have seen.

Loved it

Pitch

After watching it a Few times, and reading various theories I think my interpretation has to be that Tony gets Clipped. I think its likely that the overly long silence is his "black out".

The guy that goes into the Toilet just before creditied as Phil Liotardo's cousin. I think he comes from the toilet and shoots Tony in the head from the side.

Yes you're right, that's the whole point of the way the last scene is shot. It is all from Tony's point of view, so you see what he is seeing each time he looks up when the door goes, to see if Meadow had arrived yet. So the last time he looks up a d we get his point of view, the screen goes black, because he has just been shot in the head by the guy coming out from the toilet.

This is a far more effective technique that showing his family screaming and Tony covered in blood, especially for a character we have been following for so long.

However it does mean that there will not be any sequels or more episodes.

I would love a flashback series to Tony's dad and Uncle Junior in the sixties.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post

I would love a flashback series to Tony's dad and Uncle Junior in the sixties.
    what great idea.....be immense.

breaking bad was my fix after sopranos ended

another do not miss ius currently on sky arts channel corleone

Master
    Blog Entries
    Best thing I've ever seen on TV. The Russian in the woods get my vote. I think from memory, that one was written by the guy that played Christopher. Could be wrong though.

Funnily enough, I watched the whole series on Atlantic on the previous time they showed it through (last year some time).

I think it suffers from the weight of expectation from it's hallowed reputation, and doesn't quite live up to the hype. It's very good, but a little "soapy" in parts.

Having recently watched The Wire, I feel The Sopranos was not as complete. Similarly, of my TV pantheon, I enjoyed The Shield, Oz and Rescue Me more (although obviously all are different). It's certainly up there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Best thing I've ever seen on TV. The Russian in the woods get my vote. I think from memory, that one was written by the guy that played Christopher. Could be wrong though.
    Not sure but it was directed by Steve Buscemi.

Just finished watching it about a week ago. At first I didn't like the ending but know I've had time to think on it I appreciate it for what it was.

Possibly the best series I have ever watched.

Out of the box sets I've seen I'd rank them:

1. Sopranos
    2. The Wire
    3. Mad Men (excluding the last season)
    4. Tied - Breaking Bad / Dexter

Edited* forgot about Mad Men!
    Last edited by chrisparker; 8th June 2013 at 22:53.

Wow, no love for West Wing, Mad men, House or ER??

All excellent in my book - especially West Wing.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Seen it through several times and it's brilliant. Killing Pussy, his best friend, on the boat is a great scene.

The Wire is almost as good and Band of Brothers isn't bad either. One of may favourites lines from The Wire (said by Jay):

"For you I would suggest some pantsuits, perhaps muted in colour, something to offset Detective Moreland's pinstripe lawyerly affectations and the brash tweedy impertinence of Detective Freamon. Rawls is watching on this one, let's at least pretend like we got a f**king clue."

Watching "The Walking Dead" at the moment. Whilst it's another zombie fest, it's good viewing.
    Last edited by dejjl; 8th June 2013 at 21:46.

Any Sopranos fans out there?

<--Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Seen it through several times and it's brilliant. Killing Pussy, his best friend, on the boat is a great scene.

The Wire is almost as good and Band of Brothers isn't bad either. One of may favourites lines from The Wire (said by Jay):

"For you I would suggest some pantsuits, perhaps muted in colour, something to offset Detective Moreland's pinstripe lawyerly affectations and the brash tweedy impertinence of Detective Freamon. Rawls is watching on this one, let's at least pretend like we got a f**king clue."

Watching "The Walking Dead" at the moment. Whilst it's another zombie fest, it's good viewing.
    I love that quote from The Wire!

I've watched every episode. One of the very best series ever made!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Out of the box sets I've seen I'd rank them:

1. Sopranos
    2. The Wire
    3. Mad Men (excluding the last season)
    4. Tied - Breaking Bad / Dexter

Edited* forgot about Mad Men!
    Dexter really is superb. If they tie it all together in the last series, then it will be up there with the greats IMO.

I think Mad Men is quite Sopranos-esque - it's more about the characters than the story arc. Very well acted and production details are fantastic.

I would say that Boardwalk Empire is in a similar vein, as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure but it was directed by Steve Buscemi.
    That might have been it.

One of my favourite shows.

The Russian in the woods episode was called Pine Barrens IIRC.

Agree with previous points about a prequel featuring Tony's Dad Johnny and Uncle Junior.

There was a flashback of them in one of the episodes and it would be great if expanded.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Dexter really is superb. If they tie it all together in the last series, then it will be up there with the greats IMO.

I think Mad Men is quite Sopranos-esque - it's more about the characters than the story arc. Very well acted and production details are fantastic.

I would say that Boardwalk Empire is in a similar vein, as well.
    I did like Dexter but felt you could miss an entire season and not really have missed anything at all.

I watched all seasons back to back an quickly noticed a very formulaic story, a kill per episode, a season villain which by about ep8 Dexter's net is closing, add a twist and by the season finally he's got his guy. I felt anyone could have stuck to the rules and written a season. Don't get me wrong it's good but you know what you're going to get before you sit down to watch it.

Sopranos and The Wire both had a large supporting cast that were great, and integral to their stories, Dexter and Breaking Bad's stories are very much foccussed on the lead characters and don't have the depth of the former.

I'm yet to watch, Boardwalk Empire, but will after Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Wow, no love for West Wing, Mad men, House or ER??

All excellent in my book - especially West Wing.
    The West Wing is quality drama. There's hope for Western culture when it can knock out something of such quality and on such a scale and it be commercially successful. Watching it is a life experience.

It's often overlooked due to its subject matter but should appear on everyone's top five list.

Master
    Probably my favourite TV series, started watching on CH4 but lost track when they started moving it all over the schedule. Bought the DVD boxset a couple of years ago and watched it over a couple of months

The ending was excellent I thought, and really effective

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm watching Dexter at the moment. Its good but hasn't got me hooked like
    The sopranos. In in season 3.

I've watched all of The Wes Wing, that's a superb show.

I enjoyed all of The Shield, but I'm not sure its in the Sopranos League. I need to watch mad men I think.

Lost was ok, but the ending was total pants. It never managed to live up to the First season.

Lost was ok, but the ending was total pants. It never managed to live up to the First season.
    Lost could have been up there with the greats, but I think that they proved that you really can't just make it up as you go along unless you can tie it all together at the end. Lost stands as a writing experiment that didn't work IMO - if you spend 4 seasons creating questions/mystieries, know you have 2 more to answer these, and then simple come up with "it's magic", then you've not really done the job properly. I'm sure there is a "story behind the story" wrt the writing of Lost, but it's proved that it's better to know where the story-arcs are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    One of my favourite shows.

The Russian in the woods episode was called Pine Barrens IIRC.

Agree with previous points about a prequel featuring Tony's Dad Johnny and Uncle Junior.

There was a flashback of them in one of the episodes and it would be great if expanded.
    IMO one of the funniest ever dialogues on television. Tony soprano to christopher "you better watch out for the Russian he was connected to the Russian interior ministry, killed x amount of people in unarmed combat etc..", christopher puts the phone down and says to Paulie " you never guess what? That guys an interior decorator", Paulie " his house looked like shit?" soooooo funny please YouTube it if it's available...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The last scene is added to so much by the music.

Don't Stop Believing!

http://youtu.be/rnT7nYbCSvM

Great series
    I watched it on DVD after missing it on tv
    I did about 5 hrs a night viewing absolutely class

Great sub plots and supporting characters and loads of mini plots which you just catch a glimpse of and don't make sence till 4 or 5 episodes later

Must watch it again
    In going to watch final episode again tonight after the thoughts on here

Apprentice
    Definitely the best thing I've ever seen on TV. It's aged really well too, doesn't feel aged at all with a rewatching.

The casting is perfect, and the soundtrack is always well judged

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    One Soprano that's great - Lesley Grantham

Actually don't know if that's what she is

Sorry ..........
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

The last scene is added to so much by the music.

Don't Stop Believing!

http://youtu.be/rnT7nYbCSvM
    I've sat there in that very booth (eating onion rings!) with the tune playing in the background playing. It was on the Sopranos tour which is a must for fans if you're ever in NYC. Highly recommended.

Best programme on TV. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
    One Soprano that's great - Lesley Grantham

Actually don't know if that's what she is

Sorry ..........
    You're probably taking the mick but I'll bite........ He played Dirty Den. I think you're thinking of Lesley Garrett.

Both Wire and Sopranos are amazing but I personally prefer Sopranos due to more intriguing setting and better use of humour. Eventhough the show was a drama there were many hilarious moments like the Pine Barrens episode for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsxthFO-HWs

I've been on the drink with Vito in New York, i am a fan of the series and was in New York with some family and my cousin wanted to go and do a "Sopranos Tour", i wasn't bothered but went with him.

Vito appears selling some book out of the back of his car and we jokingly ask him if he wants to go for a pint and the rest is history, he took us to an Irish bar and we got fuct. The barman was pouring us massive drinks because we were Scottish and managed to end up in the bar with Vito from the Sopranos, the crazy thing is a month after i came home i found a receipt in my wallet and it was from this bar and it was for two drinks titled "GODFATHER" and i have no idea what they were as i only remember drinking whiskey, one sambuca and several pints.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    I've been on the drink with Vito in New York, i am a fan of the series and was in New York with some family and my cousin wanted to go and do a "Sopranos Tour", i wasn't bothered but went with him.

Vito appears selling some book out of the back of his car and we jokingly ask him if he wants to go for a pint and the rest is history, he took us to an Irish bar and we got fuct. The barman was pouring us massive drinks because we were Scottish and managed to end up in the bar with Vito from the Sopranos, the crazy thing is a month after i came home i found a receipt in my wallet and it was from this bar and it was for two drinks titled "GODFATHER" and i have no idea what they were as i only remember drinking whiskey, one sambuca and several pints.
    That's awesome! You must have got a picture??

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post

You're probably taking the mick but I'll bite........ He played Dirty Den. I think you're thinking of Lesley Garrett.
    Crap yes

Me El Pilocko
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Can't believe James Gandolfini has passed way this week. Very sad. And only 51.

:-(

The Sopranos is without doubt the best drama series I have ever seen, but if you like your gangsters realistic, flawed and set in the 1970s (it's the story of a gang -who start as friends- and their rise to the top in the world of organized crime in Rome), then look no further than Romanzo Criminale - Sky Arts HD.It's the BEST thing on TV right now (especially as Dexter and SOA are reaching a long overdue conclusion and shamelessly rehashing plotlines respectively).
    Ciao e divertasi
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    The Sopranos is without doubt the best drama series I have ever seen, but if you like your gangsters realistic, flawed and set in the 1970s (it's the story of a gang -who start as friends- and their rise to the top in the world of organized crime in Rome), then look no further than Romanzo Criminale - Sky Arts HD.It's the BEST thing on TV right now (especially as Dexter and SOA are reaching a long overdue conclusion and shamelessly rehashing plotlines respectively).
    Ciao e divertasi
    Joe
    Isn't that a film rather than a series? I watched an Italian film of that title and it was excellent.

Best tv series ever imo, currently on series 3 working my way through them for the third time. RIP James Gandolfini

Isn't that a film rather than a series? I watched an Italian film of that title and it was excellent.
    Yes indeed it was released as a 2-3 hour movie but SkyArts is showing it in series form and we are on series 2 at the moment -A truly Remarkable show-!

The Sopranos
    Twin Peaks

Dem feels...

Don't be silly, the end song says it all.

"Don't stop believing"

Tony and is family are for once happy and then it fades to black.

Do you really think David Chase would kill Tony and then play this song.

It's an uplifting song.

It is the glass half empty / half full scenario. It is left for you to decide the ending.

Don't stop believing, we are all gonna make it.

RIP James Gandolfini.