closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Left handed crown conversion - query

Left handed crown conversion - query

This may have been asked a hundred times before...

Is it possible to make a left handed crown version of a Speedbird / MKIII Pilot / O&W etc simply by rotating the dial 180 degrees?

Assuming the watch in question has no date window or uses a Yao replacement dial without date.

(Hmmm)

Actually, thinking about this, the answer is probably no as setting the minute hand to 12 would see the hour hand half way into the hour - I think.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas Reid

Re: Left handed crown conversion - query

Quote Originally Posted by lurch
    This may have been asked a hundred times before...

Is it possible to make a left handed crown version of a Speedbird / MKIII Pilot / O&W etc simply by rotating the dial 180 degrees?

Assuming the watch in question has no date window or uses a Yao replacement dial without date.

(Hmmm)

Actually, thinking about this, the answer is probably no as setting the minute hand to 12 would see the hour hand half way into the hour - I think.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    In principle, there is no problem. I've done something similar (by accident). The problem is the dial feet location. There are two, and they are not generally, exactly symmetrical. So, either you have to move them, which is a pain to do without either damaging the dial or using a weak method of attaching them. Better in may ways to redo the dial upside down. (When making a dial, I put the dial feet on the wrong way around.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    All ETA (current) 11-1/2 ligne movements have symetrical dial feet. If the watch has a date window, it's going to be off if you rotate the dial 180 degrees.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    All ETA (current) 11-1/2 ligne movements have symetrical dial feet. If the watch has a date window, it's going to be off if you rotate the dial 180 degrees.
    Ah. Too much time looking at older movements is my problem.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    It's certainly possible on ETA 2750. 2801-2 has symmetrical dial feet too, so maybe some of the 28xx series also.

Recently did it to my much-abused Hamilton:

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Thanks, for what I'm aiming for I don't need a date window, so what xpatUSA did to the Hamilton is exactly what I'm after.

I'm assuming that if I redial say, a SpeedbirdII with a Yao dial (no date window) the date wheel would still be there in the "background" but I just wouldn't have to consider it. Or is it normal practice to remove the date wheel?

The plan is to have (say) SpeedbirdII and "left hand no date" mounted side by side for in-car use (event/standard time and real time).

Ta!

Does anyone know the situation with a 7750 re symmetrical dial feet, please?